Coronavirus in N.Y.: 'Astronomical' Surge Leads to Quarantine Warning

dublinbay z6 (KS)

This is downright scary!

----------------------

"White House officials expressed growing alarm Tuesday about the coronavirus outbreak in New York City, advising people who have passed through or left the city to place themselves in a 14-day quarantine.

Officials warned that the outbreak could reach its peak in New York City much sooner than expected and said they had begun treating the region as a coronavirus hot zone, akin to areas of China and Europe overwhelmed by the virus.

About 60% of the new cases in the country were in the New York City metropolitan area, and the infection rate was eight to 10 times greater than other parts of the country, officials said at a briefing with the White House Coronavirus Task Force.""

[. . .]

. . . Cuomo offered a grim forecast for the outbreak in New York, saying that it would flood the state’s strained hospitals with as many as 140,000 stricken patients in the next few weeks.

Cuomo said that in New York City, new cases appeared to be doubling every three days. The crisis has already claimed the lives of more than 200 people statewide.

[. . .]

“We haven’t flattened the curve and the curve is actually increasing,” Cuomo said. “The apex is higher than we thought and the apex is sooner than we thought. That is a bad combination of facts.”

Confronting what he called these “astronomical numbers,” Cuomo, who has generally been restrained in his criticism of Trump during the crisis, lashed out for the first time at Washington’s response. He chastised the Trump administration for sending too few ventilators and drew an instant rebuke from the president.

[. . .]

"As the number of cases in the city neared 16,000, the police launched a new series of patrols to encourage people to stay inside and to practice the appropriate “social distancing” that health experts recommend in order to stop the spread of the virus.

[. . .]

. . . Cuomo painted a bleak picture of the days and weeks ahead.

He projected that the state would soon require up to 140,000 hospital beds when only about 53,000 were now available for use. He also said that doctors could ultimately need as many as 30,000 ventilators when only a fraction of that number — somewhere around 5,000 — were currently available.

On Monday, federal emergency officials announced that they were sending 400 ventilators to the state, a figure that Cuomo said barely dented what local officials desperately required.

“You want a pat on the back for sending 400 ventilators,” Cuomo said. “What are we going to do with 400 ventilators when we need 30,000 ventilators? You’re missing the magnitude of the problem.”

Not long after Cuomo spoke, Pence announced that an additional 4,000 ventilators were either on their way or would soon be sent to New York state.

The breathing machines were only one part of a landslide of medical equipment being rushed to hospitals in the city and its suburbs: 340,000 N95 respirator masks; 145,000 surgical gowns; and 350,000 pairs of gloves.

But even in such large amounts, the fresh supplies might not be enough to stave off disaster in the next two months, Cuomo said.

Sounding both alarmed and deeply frustrated, the governor said that he was baffled that the federal government had not done more. That prompted immediate criticism from Trump, who suggested that Cuomo had made choices years ago to forgo purchases that led to the shortages.

[. . .]

Though the New York area was the current epicenter of the outbreak in United States, Cuomo cautioned that it was also “the canary in the coal mine” for the rest of the country.

“What happens to New York is going to wind up happening to California and Washington state and Illinois — it’s just a matter of time,” he said. “We’re just getting there first.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-n-y-astronomical-surge-121859774.html

---------------------------

That's a powerful read!

By my calculation, the 4,000 ventilators authorized by Trump don't quite equal the 30,000 ventilators New York needs--right?

Kate

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

“We haven’t flattened the curve and the curve is actually increasing,”

This is what we face across the country unless shelter-in-place orders are given.

5 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Talk about a crisis, good grief take care.

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I'm a bit confused by the reasoning of some things Cuomo is saying. I get his desperate reasoning for asking for all of the ventilators to be sent to NY, and then have them be "passed on" to other areas as the numbers rise elsewhere. But the reality would be that NY would not be finished with the ventilators yet, so then what? No one else gets any? Or is he planning to disconnect patients from ventilators and tell them "Sorry, your time for being able to use this ventilator is up because another state needs it now?"

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I’m definitely scared. Not panicked but scared. Except for food shopping we’re ok hunkered down. But there’s the food shopping. Yes I’ve got enough to stretch for weeks. But if I start depleting that, what happens when I run out. Can’t just wait and load up again as a lot isn’t available, and a lot is sold in limited quantities. Plus I’m shopping for my parents. I keep thinking about what Hay said on another thread, it’s safer out there today than it will be tomorrow. Everything is so catch 22.

4 Likes Save    
mr1010

Thank goodness Cuomo is doing the math to know what his state needs and is pleading for it.

Other states like florida is being passive except for individual cities doing their own

strategies and planning. everyone is on their own here in Fl. plus on March 17th,

Orlando Mayor said hospital beds were at capacity w/ respiratory and pneumonia cases. We didn't have any tests then to even know what those patients had.

now we have a few tests and the number of cases is doubling every 3-4 days.

Now almost 1700 and 22 deaths. Cases include 2 toddlers ea. 2 yrs. old and an

Infant age 0.

STAY HOME- STAY SAFE- SAVE LIVES

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Just heard on CBC news from a reporter in New York City that a convention centre is right now being converted into a 1000 bed hospital.

1 Like Save    
chisue

The governor of my state (Illinois) has offended Trump by calling him out on his lack of leadership. Watch Trump act completely in character by trying to *punish* the truth-tellers. He has to go! The nation can't be allowed to deteriorate into a bunch of states fighting for national aid.

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

What do you mean by "he has to go!"?

President Trump will either be reelected or he will not.

It has nothing to do with what an individual or more than one individual thinks about whether he is in office or out or should be.

1 Like Save    
Lisa

One of the problems in New York and other such places is that the morons won't stay home. Any reasonably intelligent person knows they should stay home. But noooooo, they insist on going out and partying. Did you see Mardi Gras?

And now Louisiana (65) has the highest number of deaths from covid-19 after NY (285) and Washington (130).

Save    
lurker111

I actually felt despair for our country when I saw that picture.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Shrove Tuesday which is the last day of Mardi Gras was February 25 way before most areas started worrying about the virus. After all at that time it was considered a hoax.

That picture does show a lot less people than normal.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

This is encouraging.

Social distancing efforts to stop the spread of coronavirus in New York, the epicenter of the American outbreak, are showing signs of working, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday.

Estimates from Sunday showed coronavirus hospitalizations were doubling every 2 days, he said. But Monday's estimates showed hospitalizations were doubling every 3.4 days, and Tuesday's estimates showed hospitalizations were doubling every 4.7 days.

"That is almost too good to be true. But the theory is given the density that we're dealing with, it spreads very quickly, but if you reduce the density you can reduce the spread very quickly," he said.

CNN

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

The US will pass Italy tomorrow. China, before the weekend is over.

Save    
lurker111

We passed China. The US is #1 now.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

The US has passed China on total cases but let’s face it, China is not reporting its total cases.

Not defending or denigrating any particular side. Just stating the obvious.

1 Like Save    
Lisa

And Russia of course has fewer than 900 cases?

Save    
AnnKH

Let's face it, with a lack of tests available, the US is not reporting total cases either.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Meanwhile, idiot in chief keeps saying stuff like “we have to get back to work, this isn’t us, this is America, we’re going to have suicides, no one saw this coming.”

Yeah, talk about suicide—-brilliant thing to do. And lots of people saw this coming, he chose to ignore it. As a commentator put it “it’s the arrogance of this administration that is going to cost lives. The arrogance of closing the WH pandemic office and the arrogance of tearing up a report from experts.” I’ll add stupidity and incompetence.

He just wants to save his reelection, pure and simple. Pretend everything is normal, downplay everything, He and the Republicans are a disgrace. Trump should be forced to resign, now.

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

trump ... president of the world. has a nice ring to it, eh JP?

Save    
ubro(2a)

Russia closed off Moscow today so something is up.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

The governor my my state announced starting tomorrow at midnight until April 10th we are on mandatory lockdown. I've already been for the past 2 weeks since my son started working from home. Only going out for essentials, which is really not foreign to me anyway, ie; essentials only that is.

I was a bit mad at my son when he decided to build a new computer and had to go pick up the parts he ordered last week. I guess it was pretty busy at the electronics store. Hopefully he wasn't exposed, he has been monitoring himself closely.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Russia I'm sure is not being truthful about the spread. I read somewhere there has been an increase in pneumonia deaths but no accounting for any virus deaths. Some had said they were instructed to not list as the possible virus for cause of deaths.

Save    
mr1010

There has been so much lying, obsfucation, cover ups, excuses. We still can't test all who need it in Florida. There's such a long list of qualifiers, very few get through.

This is by design so they don't have to admit there's too few tests available. Nurses are going on TV pleading for PPE's.

When Gov. DeStupid was told by a reporter that people can't get through to the unemployment office to file for benefits, he laughed. Laughed.

He's taking his cues from Trump. Deny the problem. Bury it. Keep the gates open for the economy. Stall testing. Don't provide PPE's. Let the little people die.

Save    
lurker111

lol

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Sheltering at Home How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story
Houzz TV Houzz Tour: Going Off the Grid in 140 Square Feet
WIth $40,000 and a vision of living more simply, a California designer builds her ‘forever’ home — a tiny house on wheels
Full Story
Perfect Landscapes is the leader in custom residential and commercial landscape maintenance, design and... Read More