SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pht_mc

help, decide between solid/engineered hardwood floors

luis kevin
4 years ago

This is my first post in gardenweb but I have been a lurker for quite awhile! We are building a new home and have about 1700 square feet of wood. I was totally set on solid hardwood until meeting with Prosource yesterday. They are the company that my builder uses for flooring. I couldn't believe how hard they were pushing the engineered flooring on us. We live in the midwest and have extreme changes in humidity. Part of me wonders if there is a larger profit margin with the engineered flooring.

We are debating between a hickory wire brushed engineered wood made by Shaw. Its thickness is 1/2' and the width is 4 1/2." Our other option is an Asian Walnut solid hardwood with a semi-gloss that is 3 5/8" wide made by Bella Cera. Both are around the same price per square foot.

The wood will also be installed in our kitchen. If they are both nailed down will they have the same "feel" underfoot? I like wood floors that have a little give and have character over time. Any advice would be very helpful as I am agonizing over making the right decision!

Comments (4)