Why face-to-face interaction may spread COVID-19

nosoccermom

Here's a video that shows how speaking to each other face-to-face can transmit the virus --- and why physical distancing works. They used a laser to illuminate the water droplets that contain the virus are emitted while speaking and can potentially be inhaled by the other person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzARpgx8cvE

The scary part is that people can transmit while they are not exhibit any symptoms.

So, do not talk face-to-face with friends, neighbors, or anybody you encounter. Keep your distance. Make a phone call, skype, use facebook, instagram, facetalk, or any of the many other ways to stay connected.

SaveComment21Like5
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chisue

The main reason we are social distancing is...because THERE ARE NO MASKS.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by nosoccermom
dandyfopp

And there are no tests.

We were promised millions of tests by now. Remember?

5 Likes Save     Thanked by nosoccermom
Lisa

What if we call it "social energy" instead. Social energy is free, renewable and readily available. What's not to embrace?

1 Like Save     Thanked by nosoccermom
HU-885118952

chisue

No, we are not. Stop spreading falsehoods.

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Ever watch a live performance up close? The spit just flies.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nosoccermom
bpath reads banned books too(5b)

I sit in the front row of my local professional theater, it's very close and intimate. The spit does fly, but I haven't felt it me. But who knows?

Save    
HU-885118952

Mostly they seem to spit on each other. Occupational hazard.

Save    
ubro(2a)

6 foot mandatory distance.

Save    
nhb_6

-------------------------------------------------------

HU-885118952

chisue

No, we are not. Stop spreading falsehoods.

--------------------------------------------------------

Really? Then answer this:

Can you tell me where i can buy masks so my SO can protect people around him while he is going to his " essential job"?

Can you tell me where he could be tested so that he knows to self-isolate if he is a carrier?

7 Likes Save     Thanked by nosoccermom
Joaniepoanie

Is everyone social distancing from their SO’s and kids?

Save    
Kathy

Great video.

Save     Thanked by nosoccermom
Annie Deighnaugh

Very useful video. Time for some homemade masks...not so much as to be protected from others but to protect others from us....

We need testing before we can ever get past the worst of this thing.

Tilly Teabag

Chisue, in your situation you need masks. Look on Light in the box, Wish, DHgate, EBay , Etsy, Amazon etc. You can buy singly, in pack of 10, 50, 100.

Mine came from Lightinthe box.

Annie Deighnaugh

Is everyone social distancing from their SO’s and kids?

I don't have kids, but my DH and I are in it together. No way could one of us avoid it if the other brings it home. And if one of us gets sick, the other will have to be the caregiver. If both of us get sick, we're screwed.

Tilly Teabag

Same here.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Useful and interesting video, but incomplete information.

What the video cannot show is that when someone speaks or sneezes, there are particles much much much smaller than droplets which will not show up by the laser beam. A COVID-19 virus is, I think, 125nm in size.

Particles that small will float in air for days by air movement and Brownian air molecule action from one end of the room to the other.

dcarch

adoptedbyhounds

Where is it written that social distancing is unnecessary if one is wearing a mask?

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Social distancing is not a critical concern for medical professionals because they are wearing a medically approved face mask and eye protection..

dcarch

Save    
dandyfopp

If only they were.

2 Likes Save    
nosoccermom

Face-to-face talking spreads the virus, especially from asymptomatic people --- who are not coughing or sneezing.Limiting face-to-face contact works. Period. Unless you can meet and not talk.

Note: A simple cloth in front of the speaker's mouth stops the droplets that accompany all speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSz5Gr7gG0

Healthcare workers should probably wear masks when they are at home.

Regarding at home: I would wear a mask if I were still out and about, talking to a lot of people.

Here's what I told my parents who are well into their 80s and are holed up at home:

1. Talk to your friends and relatives by phone, email, Skype, text.

2. Don't talk face to face with your neighbor, even if she reassures you she has no symptoms.

Insist that the healthcare aide who stops by wears a mask and washes
her hands as soon as she enters
. And keep your distance as much as
possible.

My parents aren't out and about, so this is to protect them from the healthcare aide, who's visiting others, going shopping, has a family at home AND may be infected without exhibiting any symptoms.

Fortunately,
it's much easier to catch the droplets at the source, i.e. speaker,
than to prevent inhalation once the droplets are floating around. So the
dust masks left behind by contractors are fine --- as are cloth masks.

4. Ditto the neighbor who brings groceries; the pharmacy who delivers meds or anybody else they need to interact with.

They have to put a mask on or leave the stuff at the door. Or shut up!

Note: The HVAC repair person showed up with mask and gloves. Yay!

Save    
nosoccermom

Specifically @dcarch:

Important point indeed! When someone sneezes, the particles emitted are NOT naked viroids but heavily hydrated small droplets. When the water layer around them evaporates before they hit the ground, they are indeed much reduced in weight, and become what is referred to as aerosol. At that point, only an N95 mask would be able to protect a receiver. Chinese studies claim that aerosolization may occur but is at best a minor component of transmission for COVID19.Aerosolization is a major component for other diseases such as measles, of course, but reportedly not for COVID19.

Note, however, that asymptomatic carriers do not sneeze or cough, so the paradox is "how can a person without coughing or sneezing" (and we're all on the lookout for these!) transmit disease. We are 100% confident that speaking, and contamination of surfaces through speech-generated droplets, is the key.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Roots of Style Roots of Style: Your Home May Have a Renaissance Classical Past
If Georgian, colonial revival or Italianate details are in your house's mix, you might have the 15th century to thank
Full Story
Apartment Life Pilea May Be Your Next Favorite Houseplant
Charming Pilea peperomioides, also called pancake plant or Chinese money plant, makes a big impact with little effort
Full Story
Most Popular Have You Heard the Hues? 15 Colors You May Not Know About
Name-drop these shades at holiday parties — or better, try one on your walls — and expand your palette possibilities
Full Story