SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keri_schiebelbein

Help! We are struggling with our living room space!

Hi! Please heeeeeelp! Would really love some help with our living room. Struggling with making it feel like home. I would like to create a cozier space.

Not sure where to put furniture and walls are hard for art. (Windows, light switches, awkward by fire place?)

TV plug-in is on left and also above the fireplace.

Would like a coffee table, some lighting. Shelves or art by fireplace? Not sure if hexagon shelf. Toy storage would be nice, but not a lot of room.

Comments (56)

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

More pics to help. The struggle is real!

• erinsean
    4 years ago

Looks like fireplace is almost flush with the wall, unless I am not seeing it correct. Not sure how built in shelves on each side would look. I would take everyone off the mantle except for the art and the plant..yes, you do need storage for the toys in the baskets beside the fireplace. How about a storage ottoman for a coffee table? Use that for toy storage and get end tables that have shelves to put baskets in for toy storage...etc. Floor lamp on one end of the couch by the window and a bigger table lamp on the table between the couches. I like the place you have for toys behind the couch...table/chairs and little kitchen. Some day, find some tall narrow art work for both sides of the fireplace. Not liking the hexagon shelf but leave it until you find something tall and narrow. All in all, I think your room looks comfy for your family.

• Related Discussions

Need Some Help in Filling a Space/Corner in Our Living Room

Q

Comments (19)
    So, it's 15 ft from window to fireplace? Is that the entry to the left of the fireplace in the last pic? That first pic Rawketgrl posted shows the seating area on an angle. That might work well in your room so that the piano and fireplace can be the focal points. An upholstered chair and table can to go on the end by the window. I like Acm's idea to bring in a game table, which can be just to display a few things if you want. The couch can be perpendicular to the fireplace, with the bookshelves behind it and couple of chairs facing the fireplace. Or, turned 90 so that the couch faces the fireplace. Chairs on one side, or both, depending on the room available. A table can be by the windows for display of some pretty things or used for games. Plants, tables w/ lamps to fill in the holes. A large rug will anchor your floating seating area. My combo family/living room is similar in size to yours. My seating area floats in the middle facing the fireplace, which is on the long wall. The back of my couch faces the entry because the shorter direction didn't give me enough room for my couch and tables. Around the perimeter is a huge lighted cabinet, a table with lamp, and two dressers that hold music/media with the tv on top.
    ...See More

I find our living room awkward. How can I maximise the space?

Q

Comments (20)
    I think I would also move the TV to the 9'3" wall as Barnes Custom Builders suggested. I would then move your couch to the 5'11" wall (pulling it away from the wall so the vent can function). Then, I would flank the chunky chair to the left side of the couch. I would purchase a TV credenza and mount TV above. I would then fill the previous TV location with a credenza with a lamp and a mirror. I would also get a single large piece of artwork for the 11'9" wall. I would get rid of the bent wood chair as you suggested. Here's an option for a rug, credenza, media console, lamp and mirror... Moroccan Tribal Cross Section Rug Geome Sideboard Seno Media Cabinet Ripple Ceramic Table Lamp Wall Mirror Brass Hope this helps or inspires!
    ...See More

Struggling with my living room! It has potential, help me find it.

Q

Comments (1)
    not quite sure on what difference is? ok, so unless you really want it, we will remove the second couch from the room. also can you put the tv into one of the cabinets? if not then you should move the couch in front of the windows and place tv on the big wall. do you own any of the chairs showing?
    ...See More

How could we make built ins work?

Q

Comments (11)
    Pretty room! Have you searched yet, things like ‘diy fireplace built-ins’ ? I did a quick one, and so many blogs, etc with step-by-step tutorials came up. For instance: https://mysweetlilac.com/adding-built-ins-fireplace/ https://www.honeybearlane.com/2017/10/built-ins-around-the-fireplace-part-1.html Too many came up to list here! Many were similar to yours in that the fireplace is flush with the wall. Even if you don’t see one exactly like yours, maybe some of them will give you ideas and inspiration, especially in how to integrate it all. Good luck! ETA: Was just reading another thread here, scroll down to Beth H’s posts ... similar ideas: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5885356/help-we-are-struggling-with-our-living-room-space#n=31
    ...See More
  • Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

Really, really appreciate everyone’s comments. This space really stresses me out and it’s where we spend all our time!

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

Thank you for your encouragement and recommendation. I will most definitely check out the coffee table. We are in Canada...

• potchiemagoodleberry
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A great start! I’d love to see you add a pair of shelf units on either side of the FP. I think the look of builtins on that wall will give the space a bit more substance, a more finished look and perhaps some toy storage too. Curtain panels (long and straight) and large scale wall art would also help to polish the space. Great start! :)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Noguchi coffee tables are glass. The newlywed doesn't have kids yet, so he doesn't know that glass won't work for you. I would get rid of one of the sofas and add a pair of chairs. I usually advise a 3-seat sofa and two chairs, but your sofas are pretty big, so I might keep the 2-seater.

Noguchi Table, Black · More Info

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

I tried rearranging as one person suggested that. I’m not sure that I like. Cleaned up the mantel. Toys are hoarded in corner. Not as much space when entering but more place for shelves on end. I wonder if shelves or dressers would be too bulky as the room is ferry full already. Thoughts?

I wish we hadn’t bought such large furniture, but it is comfortable. Hoping we can make this work.

Glass is prob not a good option for our busy toddler. Plus we would like to have another babe.

To move the furniture back or not?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

If you did that arrangement with the two-seater and then put a pair of chairs in front of the window it might work better. Your rug should be at least 2 feet wider than the sofa yet be pulled at least 12-18" away from the FP. That will be tricky with the 3-seater.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

A child, yes, but they sell 3' tall art or bamboo screens. I thought you might want one to sort of hide a play item [behind sofa]. Idk why you'd want more furniture. I think you need whatever fits and works: striking pillows, maybe a hugely textured throw/blanket. What is any plans for roman shades or whatever for windows, which could add good color and/or pattern...?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

IMO your room requires storage for the toys so consider cabinets for either side of the fireplace Move the sofa against the windows further away from the fireplace to accomplish this.

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

I agree that I’d like the sofa centred. I guess we just bought the wrong furniture. :( It’s too big to centre. If we move it down along the wall to centre, there is not enough room for the love seat. The pathway to the kitchen is too tight.

There’s so many things that bother me in this room.

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

Not sure what to do. The visuals help. I’m frustrated beyond belief. Working as a full-time teacher and Momming is hard. I wish I had a space that I could relax in. I’m new to this app and am so very thankful to those of you who have responded. I really appreciate all of your suggestions. Thanks again everyone!

• samondragon
    4 years ago

This is the room you live in, want to lounge in, plus it also looks like your children's toy room. I don't think you can pull both off in a room this size. While the smaller toys can go into closed cabinetry, you have a slew of larger children's furniture & toys that can't be hidden in a cupboard & so are awkwardly placed & taking up room. I think you need to decide if you want this to be more of a grown-up area or children's play room. Do you have another area in the house to put the larger kid items? Smaller toys CAN be stored...love BeverlyFLADeziner's suggestions. Not sure what to do with those 2 bulky couches but eliminating all the small stuff in the room will help. I think clearing off the mantle in itself makes a difference. Keep decluttering. The other options I suggest are a more colorful rug, a few throw pillows, vibrant art above the fireplace, more substantial table lamps.

• outshopping422
    4 years ago

would you consider putting tv over the mantel? It would free up that whole wall and you can move the kid’s table and chairs and kitchen set there and possibly get a toy storage chest

A nice big ottoman would be “softer“ than a coffee table for little heads. another idea, if tv was over fireplace, you could put one of the couches there. Lastly, you can keep everything the way it is...it looks very nice just add toy storage :)

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

I wondered about moving the tv. ??? We have a toy room downstairs but we like the small kitchen and mini table for play and toddler meals. Yes, lots of toys could go downstairs. Trying to look past the toys for now. More concerned about furniture, accents, art, and setting up the space. What colour ottoman or what type would you recommend? I worry because things aren’t centred. I thought maybe a circular something. I bought a couple artificial plants to try but not sure they will work in this room either.

• outshopping422
    4 years ago

Yes I was also thinking round :) Some even have storage. Since you already have the tv connection over fireplace...try it and see if you like it.

• ArchitecturalDetails .
    4 years ago

Can you switch the location of the loveseat with the sofa?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

let me address the fireplace and much needed storage issues on either side. (you could absolutely put in 2 chests in those spots, or one chest and taller shelving unit on the other side)

or, you could DIY it and do something like this (which would give your room the added oomph you're looking for)

your FP is just about flush, so w/somehting like this, it's fine if it comes out a bit.

the other option would be to build out your fireplace.

As it is now, I think you should have gone all the way up w/the black stone, and you need a larger mantle, like this one

this is almost identical to the way yours is. It just looks better because of the tile and the mantle (which I would bring all the way to the sides)

other ideas (ignore the tv over the mantle)

Before and After.

This was also a flush fireplace like yours. look what a diff the book cases make.

Notice the sofa/chairs. yours is rather large for that room.

You have two full sized sofas trying to fit in that rather narrow living room. You need to ditch one and bring it down to a love seat or even chairs.

this room is about your size. see the diff? (you'd reverse it for your tv on the wall though

or this smaller sectional. this set up would work in your room. notice the ottoman

ottoman choices

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

Some day you may want to add crown molding.

• freedomplace1
    4 years ago

I would try tv on window wall, and hang a large piece of art over sofa on wall where tv currently is. If you watch a lot of tv in daytime, and you need better light control, that could be added with more or different window treatments. If you mainly watch tv at night, glare will not be an issue.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Question: is this the only play area? And is there a closet near enough for some?

When you posted sofas moved down - and it was quite tight - was there room for fp's side units?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

There are 2 dark areas: tv, and fp. 2 neutral/rug also. If you add 2 more neutrals [units at sides], it would look 'hard'. If not fabric for windows, a screen could add something.... what about in corner between tv and fp?

3 panel is sold too.

4' Tall Recycled Magazine Room Divider, 4 Panels · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/4-tall-recycled-magazine-room-divider-4-panels-prvw-vr~127546419

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

We don’t have plugins on window wall, but I’ve wondered about that arrangement as it would help with art above the sofa if moved to the other side. That wall is short though.

A screen is an interesting idea. I wonder the purpose though. Why a screen? For height and just something interesting?

This is not the only play area. The kids table and kitchen could go downstairs but we do use them a lot. We spend a lot of time on this floor and I’d like to keep both items on this floor if we can. Maybe I will try the tv on the other side tomorrow? I wonder about that with the windows though????

• natesg
    4 years ago

I like the original layout of your furniture. When you have a toddler you often have toys about although yours look neat and tidy in the pictures. I’m sure some type of chests on each side of the fireplace would be great for storage. It’s ok that you’re keeping your furniture for now as the room looks comfy and inviting. Maybe some light colored/ patterned pillows would look nice too.

How wide is your tv and your fireplace? I wonder if it might be better there.

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

I’ve always struggled with this space. We were pregnant and our house sold and we maybe rushed into buying this one. TV is 55 inches, I know. I wonder about colours to bring in, too.

• partim
    4 years ago

I like the arrangement you had originally with the TV on the short window and the sofa opposite. Functionally it works best.

I wouldn't put built-ins with open shelves on either side of the fireplace. IMO, they're just places to display "stuff" and I like a simpler look. To me it would look cluttered. Also I wouldn't have a lot of attractive things to place on that many shelves. Also...dusting.

As far as the toys that you have in boxes and bags, what I'd do is get several large neutral-colored canvas beach bags, the kind that zip up and have straps. Or if you prefer, get a few clear plastic boxes. Fill each box/bag with an assortment of different toys, and every day a different one gets to come upstairs. It's like a new toy set every day, and not much mess to clean up. But only one box comes upstairs every day.

Your mantle still looks crowded. I'd add one shelf to the right of the fireplace at about the 6 ft level, and put the plants on the shelf. Maybe buy another nice long dangling one. The artwork above the fireplace is too pale for that spot, and fades away in relation to the dark fireplace. Can you switch it with something else in your house that is darker and/ more colourful?

Your smaller pictures e.g. baby pictures will be better seen and enjoyed on a hallway wall where someone can stand right close and see them. Use an Ikea picture ledge or two instead of attaching the pictures to the wall, and you can change them as your family grows.

I'd find a darker version of your wall paint and repaint the TV wall, the fireplace wall and the window wall up to the doorway. It will give your room a wonderful coziness, and reduce the contrast of your fireplace and TV.

Also I know some people will think this is crazy but I'd put the little toy kitchen to the left of the fireplace, because it looks like a play area to me. And I'd remove the end table and floor plant between the sofa and love seat, and pop the children's table right in that space. If you need light there, maybe a pair of wall-hung sconces with a swing arm - one between the windows and on the left side. Add a remote control caddy/pocket to the arm of the sofa, and use a round or oval coffee table for beverages.

You have a nice room for relaxing with your family. Just because the media images relegate children's items away from family life, that's not how real people live and enjoy life.

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

Thank you. Good suggestions.

What kind of sconces?! What kind of shelf for plants would be heat? With mantle not sure.

I really appreciate your response.

• outshopping422
    4 years ago

Tv over fireplace...couches where you have them...add chair and round ottoman or coffee table.

Tv over fireplace...smaller couch by window so you can center it...couch on wall where tv was... add two chairs across from tv...square ottoman or coffee table

Tv to left side of fireplace on console or built-in.

tv on left of fireplace...built-ins on both sides of fireplace...couches where you have them...add 2 chairs and round ottoman or coffee table. Many many options :)

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

Lots of options here.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

You're right, the couches work best where they originally were. They are too big but it is what it is - at least they are cozy! Ok, how about streamlining the toy bins by getting one wicker storage trunk. Whatever doesn't fit inside it gets sent elsewhere (with exception to the table/chairs and kitchen). Place it to the left of the fireplace. Then, find two large pieces of minimal art with a lot of negative space that are thin and tall to flank the fireplace. Etsy has a lot of original, cheap ($5), hand drawn printable(s) that come in a range of sizes. I'd replace the artwork on the fireplace with a round mirror to soften and lighten it visually. Add two candle sticks and some vintage books instead of one of the plants. To add some height and light, a floor lamp would work great in the right hand corner (removing the hidden toys there). To lighten the weight of your couches, remove all the matching grey throw pillows and add true accent pillows that are lighter in color, without too much texture to keep it "visually light". To add interest to the TV wall, hang the plant that was on the left side of the fireplace mantle, in the corner.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't add any ottoman or additional furniture to the center of the room since it already feels crowded.

Hope this helps!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

How about a larger t.v. stand with more toy storage?

• partim
    4 years ago

Do beware of using mirrors. First determine what they will reflect. It needs to be something attractive. It can also lead to a bit of a cluttered look if they're reflecting a busy room.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I know a lot of people say that about mirrors, but it can also add life, light, and movement to an otherwise "dead" space. And hey, if a person walks by it, it suddenly is reflecting something attractive, amiright?!

• Kaitlin Bode
    4 years ago

I'm also here to suggest moving the TV and rearranging the couches. I would put the larger couch on the way where the TV is and put the TV on the mantle if possible. I would then get some cute toy organization like wicker baskets and you can put those next to the couches or where the fireplace is. I also loved that suggestion on DIY shelves surrounding the fireplace and highly recommend that if possible. If you're new to home improvement projects (or a woman) I recommend this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/shanty2chic

They really making things look easy and have given me a lot of confidence to do things I would otherwise be too nervous to attempt.

Also, I'd recommend against a coffee table. It will cramp your space which isn't ideal with a stumbling toddler. Could you instead get a nice side table to put next to the couch? I don't have a toddler but I do have a crazy puppy and that's what I did.

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

Well, no big changes, yet. A few additions and omissions. No purchases yet. Baby steps. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

• partim
    4 years ago

I like the fiddle-leaf fern. It looks a bit squashed in the corner and it would look better pulled out of the corner. It would look more balanced if it was in a bigger basket or pot. Would it look better (and get more light) on the right side of the fireplace? Maybe let the trailing plant hang from a ceiling-hung planter near it? I like the removal of the wall hung shelf.

Keep removing decor items, starting with the smallest things. I thought your sofas looked better before. IMO their clean modern shape is spoiled by the additional pillows and throws.

How does the child's table work in its new spot?

• freedomplace1
    4 years ago

I also liked furniture w/out additional pillows, etc.

Sofa facing window(s) is a more open, expansive placement than sofa with back to windows.

That is one of the reasons why, from Eastern Feng Shui perspective, sofa with back to window(s) is not optimum.

As I mentioned in previous comment, you could try tv on window wall, with additional window treatments to mitigate glare, if necessary. Or maybe consider a mobile tv setup, with tv generally positioned on right side of fireplace; this would also allow you a lot of flexibility with tv placement.

It is your house, and main thing is for you to be comfortable with the setup. These are just a couple of additional thoughts, in case they might be of help.

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

HELP! I would like to help my home have more curb appeal! I’ve been looking for a nice mat or wreath or something for awhile. I struggle as there is not a lot of space on the top step, plus there’s the window. Any decor ideas are appreciated! It is nice to know where others like to shop from too. We live in Canada. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds. 💗

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

oh, if any door needed to be painted, it's that one. pick a color! black, charcoal, gray, (a wood door would look really good) Goldenrod, blue, mauve,,

See? a rich black, some green plants, and a nice pendant light. now just get a better outdoor mat.

the gray is too close to the siding color. I like the rich black better. (but it has to be a super rich, deep black. have them add extra black squirts while tinting)

your stone has a faint pink tone. I like this w/all of the blacks

I don't like the gold metal, so you could substitute black or gray

• partim
    4 years ago

Choose a colourful mat for the front door, then add a narrow bench or a chair on the right side. A bench or chair is so useful for putting things down before coming into the house. Paint it the same colour as the door mat. Painting the door a coordinating colour would be great.

For the final touch, add a balcony planter that hangs over the outside of the railing. Be aware that they're a lot of work and need watering at least daily. They will drip water down the side so it may not be suitable if you have a window there. The larger the planter, the better the plants will do (more room for the roots). Of course, your flower colour will match/coordinate with the mat, bench and door.

Not a fan of wreaths but YMMV. Wall art is another option, weather resistant obviously.

What size is the area at the top of the stairs?

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

The area is 65x60inches. I love the idea of the balcony planter. I do love plants.

I like the mat, I think.

I wonder if a bench would work. I wonder about placing anything in front of the window on the side. I’m not sure what kind of bench or chair.
    Would have to be pretty narrow.

What colour would you recommend for flowers?

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

The current mat is 47x29.5inches.
    From the door to the wall on the right is 25inches.

• partim
    4 years ago

With that mat (rusty red and gold colours), I would avoid pink, purple or blue flowers and go with yellow, red, white and orange. For example, a couple of pots of crocus and/or daffodils in the planter in the spring, then switch them out to annuals e.g red trailing geraniums, then gold or bronze chrysanthemums in the fall when the annuals die. Add some ivy to trail over the side.

I like the mat because it has the gray of your siding and is still quite colourful. I'd avoid blue mats if you're looking to match flowers to it - there is less selection in blue annuals.

For the chair or bench I suggested, it needs to be small. We have one in that spot - only 11" deep, 40" long, 16" high. Very plain painted wood. We find it very useful. Similar to this but ours is even smaller. Search for outdoor dining bench or patio dining bench.

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

Cool! I feel we are on the same wave-length. Great! So appreciate your help! I like the bench. Any other additions to add character?

We’ve lived here for two years. We lived in an older 1950s bungalow before. I like our upgrades in this house, but I’m having a hard time decorating. Thank you so much!

Outrageous price of doormat?

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

I think the white on the bottom of the bench might help brighten the space up a bit and match the door?

• partim
    4 years ago

If you end up painting the door you would paint the bottom of the bench too. Agree the mat is a bit pricey, but the less expensive ones are so very plain.

• outshopping422
    4 years ago

Would you consider painting the cement?

A pretty house number on the wall.

Would a flower box fit under your window?

• Keri Schieb
    4 years ago

I don’t think a planter would work below the window. I’m not too sure where a house number could go either? This mat is almost half the cost. Still nice?

• partim
    4 years ago

Nice mat too.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Since your room is on the smaller size and your furniture is larger, have you thought about placing your TV above the fireplace? According to your post there is already a plug there. I would move the TV over the fireplace and remove the console where the TV is now sitting. That may allow you to move the loveseat on that wall so the sofa and loveseat would be across from each other. Give that at try and post a picture. It requires you to buy nothing, but you will see how it works.