Trump talking 'back to work'

Lucille(9a)

Against the advice of his health advisers Trump is saying after a few weeks people should start returning to work to prevent damage to the economy.

SaveComment209Like
Comments (209)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tryingtounderstand

Heard mentality, survival of the fittest...

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Many places haven't yet shut down - my city shut down last week - my state shuts down today (& this virus is rolling out across the country - no peak yet).

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Shameful!

Sacrificing our fellow Americans for greed.

15 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I don't think a tremendously sick population and overwhelmed hospitals make economic sense. If you think in terms of survival of the fittest, then I guess it works. That kind of calculation, in a rich society shocks me. That makes China a far more advanced country than the US.

13 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

PS We still don't know if getting the virus once confers immunity. And we still don't know what the long term consequences are for those who recover. There have been reports of people's lungs losing capacity well after their symptoms have dissipated. And while it disgusts me to mention it, it's not just the old and sick who stand to be suffer.

13 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Has everyone been self-isolating? When did the "15 days" start?

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

...and what did Trump shut down? What's he going to open up? Is hasn't the authority, that rests wth the Governor's.

2 Likes Save    
maddie260

It will really be survival of the fittest. Those who can afford to isolate will continue to do so; they will work remotely and/or stay at home. The rest will be sacrificed to the economy.

7 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Back to work?

My children/grandchildren have been working full time to provide health care, prescription drugs and food to some who worry more about their social lives and stocks.

One of my daughters is working full time even though she has MS.

And there are many other families besides mine that have skin in the game.

I would say your welcome, but apparently there are those who do not appreciate the sacrifice so many have/are making for the spoiled pampered lives of their fellow Americans.

Out of toilet paper? Oh no the horror. Liquor stores closing? OMG what ever will we do without our booze.

@&$^#^$*%^($&$^$#*^&$%(#&%&%*$(#)@

20 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Trump says Back to Work.....

....one week later.........

....Unfortunately Sneazy made all of his co-workers sick and Grumpy, Sleepy, and Dopey are now on respirators in ICU, while poor Snow White has relapsed back into a coma....Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, it's off to the hospital we go......

20 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

It should be even more glaringly obvious by now ——DON’T LISTEN TO TRUMP——listen to our health experts and those governors (mainly Dem I dare say) who have taken the bull by the horns, like Cuomo.

13 Likes Save    
mr1010

As the number of cases rises exponentially in the next week, Trump will be over ruled by more sensible medical people surrounding him. If that doesn't work, Governors and city leaders will have to make their own decisions- and they will.

Those of us handicapped with Trump appointed Governors, like here in Florida-

will have to rely on our local leaders to fight back the insanity of economy over people's lives. Shortly many hospitals will be chaotic and over crowded and many

deaths will occur just like Italy, then watch the little people get upset and demand

better leadership. It's coming.

9 Likes Save    
roxsol

Unfortunately Sneazy made all of his co-workers sick and Grumpy, Sleepy, and Dopey are now on respirators in ICU, while poor Snow White has relapsed back into a coma....Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, it's off to the hospital we go....

Bashful is good, though. He stayed away from everybody.

21 Likes Save    
maddie260

My children are all working, too. BUT, except for one in health care, they are lucky enough to work remotely. I worry about the ones who do not have such advantage. The story of this pandemic will also be the story of the haves and the have-nots.

Edited to add: and because dt refuses to invoke the Defense Production Act my son, and every other person in medicine, is a HAVE NOT!

11 Likes Save    
Sue 430

His businesses must be losing money, so we need to die to stop that

8 Likes Save    
kadefol

The idiot Texas governor is jumping on the same bandwagon and trying
to turn it into some sort of patriotic thing. He needs to be kicked out
of office.

Dan Patrick, Texas’ Republican
lieutenant governor, on Monday night suggested that he and other grandparents
would be willing to risk their health and even lives in order for the United
States to “get back to work” amid the coronavirus pandemic. Patrick, who said
he will turn 70 next week, said that he did not fear COVID-19, but feared that
stay-at-home orders and economic upheaval would destroy the American way of
life.

“No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to
take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that America
loves for its children and grandchildren?' And if that is the exchange, I'm all
in,” Patrick said.

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

I have a frontline family member. The worry is enough to make her sick. We are all so anxious and distressed. We are living a nightmare.

9 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

My daughter is an RN and her husband has diabetes, every day she goes home and wonders is she is bringing in something that could very well end his life.

8 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

The idiot is saying Easter Sunday on fox! So foolish. He will be walking that back soon

7 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

My daughter is an RN and her husband has diabetes

Ubro, your family reflects the very real dangers of this pandemic -- and are an example for every self-serving politician in North America as husband and wife confront adversity with courage and self-sacrifice.

My best wishes to you and your family.

13 Likes Save    
chisue

Flea-brains! Trump and impatient Americans think this should all be OVER by now. Haven't they sacrificed ENOUGH? After all, that 'curve' has NOT flattened, so this CAN'T be HELPING, and, and...I'm SO BORED!

*I* know! Let's go to FLORIDA and go golfing!

11 Likes Save    
Gizmo

Sue 430

His businesses must be losing money, so we need to die to stop that

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's probably for even a shallower reason.....he wants to play golf!

3 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

It's not just Trump's personal businesses that are driving his decisions, it's the re-election too. A tanking economy is not good for the incumbent.

I can hardly imagine what November will look like if we decide to ignore the experts who are trying to buy us time.

8 Likes Save    
maifleur03

If the idea to reopen everything is about the election, probably is, he may have lost as there is time before the election for many to become ill. The seriously ill will be unlikely to return to work. If he is being advised by whomever that this is a minor problem when people see the results of what he has done except for his true believers he has lost.

I would not be too surprised if he uses the national emergency to stay in office either through moving the election forward or nullifying it.

7 Likes Save    
heri_cles

Yup, no election until there is a vaccine or treatment.

1 Like Save    
Ann

A plan to open in about 19 days. I bet that ends up being a very reasonable estimate.

1 Like Save    

I bet that ends up being a very reasonable estimate.

Based on what?

How long it took China to overcome the virus (IF their reporting is truthful)?

How long South Korea has been imposing strict measures (stricter than the US)?

How the trajectory is going in Italy?

9 Likes Save    
heri_cles

Need to wait for data to come back to see how the various Governor's Stay at Home orders are working.

Trump should have led by issuing a national stay at home order instead of waiting for Governors to implement them piecemeal.

Trump should never have characterized the corona virus as a Democrat hoax and sat back as it was downplayed by Fox, his hero Limbaugh and RW media.

Trump has been Asleep at the Wheel since January. He looks tired, frustrated, and ready to make a few rash decisions.

10 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Nancy,

Two and a half months, accounting for the learning curve of China having to identify the virus in the first place.

And I believe some hopeful news out of Italy that new cases and deaths have just started to decrease instead of increasing. That would be right on schedule.

How long has North America been social distancing? About 2 weeks?

So it’s probably closer to late May.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump envisions packed churches on Easter. Easter is a special day for him.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

He is flat out nuts. How can his thinking loyalists see this as a good strategy? Maybe instead of wine at communion they could all have a little anti malaria drug.

5 Likes Save    
Ann

"Trump envisions packed churches on Easter."

Has Trump said a single word about churches on Easter? Please post a link because I've missed seeing that. IF he hasn't said anything, you already have Nana responding to your fake news post.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

In AMERICA, we have a federalist system. See how that's been working during this pandemic response?

It'll work the exact same way as we divest of these restrictions and return to normal.

Duh.

Save    
HU-885118952

Ann, anything to attack Trump and Christians...

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Ann

A plan to open in about 19 days. I bet that ends up being a very reasonable estimate.

Ann, Obama apologists are so used to him leading from behind that they seem apoplectic when a President leads from ahead.

Trump has been intrepid and avant-garde and his instincts have served him and America well during this pandemic. I hope his continued optimism serves him and us well as we see the next 2 weeks unfold and whether all this pain and sacrifice works to flatten the curve.

2 Likes Save    
2 Likes Save    

Trump has been intrepid and avant-garde

and wrong!

10 Likes Save    
3 Likes Save    
chipotle

Ann

"Trump envisions packed churches on Easter."

Has Trump said a single word about churches on Easter? Please post a link because I've missed seeing that. IF he hasn't said anything, you already have Nana responding to your fake news post.

He sure has. You have enough proof now?

10 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

It doesn't matter how much proof there is.

11 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

What? Does Donald think he'll be resurrected on Easter after being crucified by the media? poor thing. He's close, trump is a cross to bear.

19 Likes Save    
chipotle

Vgkg, just want to let you know how much I appreciate your wisdom and wit!

12 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Thx, but mostly wit nowadaze. It's a weird world.

5 Likes Save    
Ann

HU52, I think he has great instincts too. I was just discussing that with my husband today. His instincts often put him a step ahead of others and his instincts are very often correct instincts.

By the way, a very good Gallup poll came out for him today. 60% of those polled approve of how Trump is handling coronavirus. 38% disapprove. That polling category started at the beginning of March, as far as RCP reporting that category and all the various pollsters they include. The trajectory in that category is really strong for him right now. There is a link in the OP of my RCP thread, where I'll be discussing updates as this progresses.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Reasonable if everyone at this point is self isolating and not infecting others, reasonable if no one currently in isolation develops symptoms.

Complacency in the face of a pandemic is not useful.

Now Spain is in a terrible situation, those healthcare workers will need some serious support when this is all over.

Spain has opened up an ice rink in a mall, to use as a morgue.

Spain reported its biggest spike in coronavirus cases as bodies were transported to an ice rink in Madrid, which has been transformed into a provisional morgue to help relieve the pressure on hospitals and stretched funeral parlors.

“Hospitals have been collapsing for days due to [overcapacity at] the morgues and some called us begging that we help them empty these rooms.”

He also said the majority of funeral parlors with cremation ovens in Madrid are beyond their capacity, meaning cremations are taking place in other regions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pascaledavies/2020/03/24/ice-rink-in-spain-becomes-makeshift-morgue-as-coronavirus-cases-surge/#146310734d8b

5 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

. His instincts often put him a step ahead of others and his instincts are very often correct instincts.

No his instinct is to push everyone else back, he is not just nuts, he is a moron.

ETA the WHO has warned that the USA may well become the next epicentre of this disease.

16 Likes Save    
Kathy

Mon was the deadliest day so far for CV. Trump has set a tentative date of Easter for back to work.

Waiting longer, Trump said, would be devastating to the economy. “It’s been very painful for our country and very destabilizing for our country and we have to go back to work,” he said.

The president said he was skeptical about shutting down the country’s economy when health officials made the suggestion. .

“They came in, and they said, ‘We’re going to have to close the country,’ and I said, ‘What are you talking about?’”

On March 16, he announced a new plan, called “15 Days to Slow the Spread,” that urged anyone who felt sick to stay home from work, to keep sick children at home and urging older people to stay home as well.

Now, Trump said, “I gave it two weeks and we’ll assess at that time … but we have to open this country up,” he said.

Public health officials have said that social distancing measures are needed to contain the fast spreading virus. With more than 50,000 coronavirus cases, the U.S. now ranks third in the world.

Scott Gottlieb, MD, former director of the FDA, said on Twitter that mixing an open economy with a still-spreading coronavirus will not work. Gottlieb made his comments on Monday, before Trump’s town hall. A number of governors have issued more stringent “shelter-in-place” orders.

“There’s a strong and understandable desire to return to better times and a functioning economy,” Gottlieb wrote. “But, it should not be lost on anyone that there’s no such thing as a functioning economy and society so long as COVID-19 continues to spread uncontrolled in our biggest cities.”

Gottlieb went on to warn that “there’s no easy return. We must accept a sober truth. This pathogen has altered history and changed our world.”

4 Likes Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I'm so sorry for all of you with loved ones who are working at the front lines and also have loved ones at risk. My warmest thanks for all who endanger themselves in order to help the sick.

I have a friend in northern Italy and he says the situation is dire, with no decrease in the rate of disease and number of deaths, and coffins piling up at the local crematorium. He also mentions that many people who have recovered from the virus have lost their sense of smell and a smaller number also their sense of taste.

Our situation has not even come close to peaking, and to think or say that "opening in 19 days" seems "reasonable" is pretty darn ludicrous when we're only in the beginning stages of this pandemic. Trump is into wishful thinking, which is incredibly dangerous in a president, and I shouldn't be surprised that his followers agree with him.

I'm very much afraid that this virus will not only decimate the health system but will also destroy the economy. Under Trump's mismanagement, with rewarding the rich and stiffing everyone else, and with his raising the deficit sky high, by the time this is all over we may have a country that we barely recognize.

16 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"The president’s net positive rating is starkly partisan.

A Monmouth University poll released Monday reports that 50 percent of respondents believe Trump has done a “good job” dealing with the outbreak, while 45 percent say he has done a “bad job.”. . .

The president’s net positive rating is starkly partisan, with 89 percent of Republicans, 48 percent of independents and 19 percent of Democrats assessing that he has done a “good job” handling the public health crisis."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/poll-half-of-americans-approve-of-trumps-coronavirus-response-144197

--------------------------

Kate

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Ingrid, as severe as it sounds I believe you are closer to the truth than Trump who has a tendency to live in a self made world of fantasy and wishful thinking.

6 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Some of our health professionals are coming down with this virus, when they go, then what?

7 Likes Save    
Toby

"Easter is a very special day to me...."

It's probably when he reopens Bedminster for the season.

17 Likes Save    
Ann

Chipotle and Kathy, thanks for finding the quote about churches. Kathy, I see you were right about that.

Kate, Trump's ratings are highly partisan (always have been). Republicans rate him very highly (typically around or above 90% approval among Republicans) and Democrats very low. But, regarding his handling of this crisis, it's clearly less partisan with the newest Gallup poll at 60% approve and 38% disapprove. Those percentages aren't consistent with his overall approval numbers or the country's balance of Republicans/Democrats. Same thing with the other 3 most recent polls on the coronavirus topic (55/43, 49/41, 56/44 - ABC, Emerson, Axios, respectively).

1 Like Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

It really doesn't matter what his ratings are; with him at the helm this country is much worse off than if we had an intelligent, sensible leader. He combines the worst of all human attributes, without one good quality to offset them. Those are the facts, not partisan bias. It just is, and the whole world agrees.

12 Likes Save    
lurker111

Liberal facts. Not real facts.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I posted the letter earlier but I think a crackdown on travel is about to happen which may be why he thinks things will be fine to restart everything. Our governor posted on his fb page a letter that farm employees should be carrying that states they are an essential employee. No other mention of any other type of business or essential activity. The state has not issued a shelter in place order only some cities and other governmental units. At least here the mayor has already stated the fines and stopping people would only be done if there appeared to be a problem with a person or group.

2 Likes Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Trump is into wishful thinking, which is incredibly dangerous in a president, and I shouldn't be surprised that his followers agree with him.

He's the Art of the Deal guy, who by his own description says whatever he thinks will appeal to whoever is his target audience at any particular moment.

8 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

trump's idea that he can just declare this thing over reminds me of the tale of King Canute and the tides...

11 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

The WHO says US will be the next epicentre. STAY HOME and tell your children and grandchildren to STAY HOME.

8 Likes Save    
chipotle

Ann, you're too wrapped up in polls. Real life tells a completely different story.

15 Likes Save    
Ann

Okay, we'll see.

2 Likes Save    
Lucille(9a)

There may be plenty of people in church on Easter but if we follow Trump's guidance, they will all be in caskets.

13 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

Watching FOX only, and listening to their affiliates, could kill you, or your friends or family members.

8 Likes Save    
heri_cles

If this shutdown only lasts 19 days why sign a 2 Trillion dollar Stimulus package? How about gathering the data and assessing what is going on after another week or two, and then deciding how to proceed.

10 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Data schmata. Who needs data when you've got a gut feeling? /s

7 Likes Save    

Prime Minister Conte just announced that the government has set a tentative date of July 31 for the end of the emergency measures in Italy.

How the heck does Trump think that the US will be out of the woods by April 19 when we are barely entering the Covid forest at March 24.

The man lacks common sense, and the ability to learn from the experience of others.

15 Likes Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Yep, among his numerous other failures.

8 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

The pope himself has canceled easter services for the public, the archbishop of Milwaukee has cancelled easter services and will live stream from an empty basillica, but our brilliant president thinks he is going to see American churches filled, a beautiful site. He is off his rocker.

12 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

If he has vascular dementia, stress of a pandemic, after stress of an impeachment, could be making it worse. He should have really independent tests done.

5 Likes Save    
Linda

I can just see it now. A bunch of sick people show up at church and cough on the ones still not infected. A friend told me today that she thinks she had the virus last month. She just recently heard what the symptoms are and she said that sounds like what she had. Luckily she recovered. I wasn't around her during that time, but others were. I just leave the house when I have to, get the basic grocery necessities and then back home again. I think that living like this is at least helping us with our budget...we aren't spending as much anymore. It's a scary world out there when I do have to shop, however. The community spread cases are what is really taking off right now. Newly diagnosed people with no clue who they caught it from or when they caught it. I heard that in severe cases the recovery from the lung damage can take about six months...if the patient survives, of course.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Fortunately, Trump has no control over who goes back to work or when. He abdicated the handling of this to the governors and they will decide, though I suspect Trumper govs will do what Trump wants.

6 Likes Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

1st, we are the United STATES of America. It is the State's right to declare the closures at this timetime-not the Federal Government's.

2nd, Trump may be a genius-by stating we MAY be able to gather again at. Easter, all the anti-anti-Trumps will stomp their feet and say, "No, we WON'T go out!" That could be an even bigger adherance to voluntary separation!

Save    
Gargamel(5a muskoka, ontario canada)

I just feel sorry for all Americans with an idiot like that at the helm. He endangers everyone

18 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Joanie don't bet on that, we have a republican governor and from everything I have read/heard him say I do not believe he will walk in lockstep with the person occupying the people's house.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Gargamel(5a muskoka, ontario canada)

I just feel sorry for all Americans with an idiot like that at the helm. He endangers everyone

Save your sorrow for the left. They need it more right now;)

3 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand
3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

The one very certain outcome of Donnies gratuitous failure is that it won't be the left who pay the price. Try anyone with a pulse who would like to keep it.

The virus likes all political stripes just fine and death doesn't check for political bent.

12 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

I guess it was also Trump’s “genius” that sat on the pandemic for two months, surely leading to unnecessary deaths and cases. Or maybe it was his “great instincts”——both descriptors of Trump from the right.

I hope you’re right Ohiomom. Larry Hogan of Maryland will ignore Trump—-so there’s at least two.

8 Likes Save    
Lucille(9a)

He should have really independent tests done.

I have no doubt that there are several Covid tests in his file, all negative, just waiting to be dated. Honest test results from him? Ain't gonna happen. He probably has a Cheeto actor twin on retainer for public affairs of state just in case he does get a little cough or worse.

3 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

That's crazy. Doesn't even make sense. I guess he thinks Johns Hopkins has it out for him too. "Real people" do want to get back to work but not at risk of dying, infecting their families.

12 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump creates chaos then blames someone else for reacting to his craziness.

5 Likes Save    

Donald Trump should be made to wear a warning label "Hazardous to your health."

11 Likes Save    
jlhug

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Works for me. Anyone who doesn't want this pandemic to be over by Easter (even though it probably won't be) needs to get their head examined.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Dandy, I was just about to post that tweet but you beat me to it.

trump only cares about one thing...trump. Has he ever once expressed any sympathy for the people who have died or any encouragement or gratitude for those on the front lines of this disease?

His paranoia knows no bounds: *everyone* is out to get him and *anything* not in his favor is a result of a conspiracy by his enemies who are just out to get him....including covid-19.

No, it's all about him and his reelection...

SMH

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Has he ever once expressed any sympathy for the people who have died or any encouragement or gratitude for those on the front lines of this disease?

Yes and yes, but you all knew that.

Or should have known that.

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

Trump is a stable genius , at least when it comes to looking at colored maps with numbers.

He has that Red State/ Blue State map etched in his brain. Then he sees the map showing that the concentration of corona virus infections are in NY , California and Washington.

Hmmmmm,. the genius ponders... you know what, maybe "my Evangelicals" would love to pack churches on my beautiful timeline, Easter Sunday.

Meanwhile, bodies pile up hour by hour in NYC.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

His instincts are horrible. Honestly, I would have done a better job (and that's not saying much).

Medical personnel are wearing garbage bags in NY because the Grifter in Chief refuses to deploy the DPA.

7 Likes Save    
Nana H

I think he has great instincts when it comes to what he needs to do to keep the base onside and his own personal survival......but that's it.

6 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

If Trump has great instincts why is he a multiple bankrupt?

6 Likes Save    
Ann

Jlhug, exactly right.

Unfortunately and sadly, I think there is another motivation and another obsession that reigns so supreme that the "needs to get their head examined" idea really might not be unrealistic.

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

It is doubtful Dr Fauci will be supporting return to work soon, as he said, Trump does listen to him. Guess we will see!

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Cuomo decided the risk was worth it in 2015 when the reports came out. He should have been buying ventilators, instead of passing laws to allow people to die. I would be calling for his resignation if I were a NYer. I've already called for Abbott's resignation, and he isn't half the failure that Cuomo is.

Save    
barncatz

Yesterday we postponed DD's grad/wedding party and her graduation was formally canceled and that's nothing, NOTHING, compared to people caretaking sick family members at home, health professionals exhausting and risking themselves, and families who've had someone die alone in an ICU.

Yesterday, this is how Trump spent his time:

On Wednesday alone, Trump used his tweets and retweets to heap disdain and ridicule on Joe Biden, Adam B. Schiff, Robert S. Mueller III, Michael Avenatti, Mitt Romney, the “LameStream media,” “CORRUPT & FAKE NEWS,” “Trump Derangement Syndrome” and liberal “snowflakes” — and to celebrate his own magnificence and the “Trumpbux” he gets to spend in the economic rescue package.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/25/nation-comes-together-without-trump/

7 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Has he ever once expressed any sympathy for the people who have died or any encouragement or gratitude for those on the front lines of this disease?

Yes and yes, but you all knew that.

---------------

Really? I hadn't seen or heard it...at least not when it's just himself speaking or tweeting...maybe if it's on the teleprompter or written in his notes he'll read it. The man has no empathy whatsoever.

4 Likes Save    
barncatz

Lurker, that Cuomo story is as fake as Trump's tan and his "hard work". That anyone believes a word out of his mouth is unreal.

The report, however, did not recommend that New York Health Department should have stocked up on ventilators, nor did it find a low-cost option to do so, as Trump indicated Tuesday. Instead, the 2015 report acknowledged that New York should instead prepare for a moderate scenario and rely on federal resources if faced with a severe scenario.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cuomo-knocks-trumps-claim-ny-ventilators/story?id=69790191

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

I can't imagine there is a person in the world who doesn't want it over and the sooner the better....that's just plain silly.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I was in line the other day and talking to another senior ... at a safe distance of course ... and he was saying how they're trying to stay healthy, but that he and his wife are also caring for his MIL who is in her 90s and suffering with cancer.

People already have full and stress-filled lives without the help of covid.

8 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

It is not going to be over by Easter. It isn’t even going to have reached its peak in the US by then. It is ramping up in hot countries now.

5 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

People who don’t need their heads examined understand that considering the incubation period (and some areas just now starting to shelter in place), Easter really isn’t feasible.

7 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Donnie is worried about losing the election, losing money and is bored ya'll.

Surely it is understandable that he would encourage people to gather together sooner rather than later during a pandemic that is projected to kill millions.

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

It is hard to understand why Trump would say something as reckless and irresponsible as he did about the US getting back to work on Easter Sunday. It is one thing to be optomistic but another thing to over promise and under deliver. This is going to backfire on Trump no matter how much he back pedals (which he is doing) and makes vague statements in order to have "outs" (which he always does).

My fear is that in order to pander to the last people he spoke to, a bunch of business executives, he said what they wanted to hear. Now he has to deliver in some way on Easter Sunday and my fear is that he will convince one or more Red state governors with low Corona virus rates (for lack of testing) to open up their states for business and their Corona virus rates will skyrocket as a result. I hope the President can swallow his pride and only open for business on Easter Sunday if medically advisable.

3 Likes Save    
barncatz

Echo, echo, echo.

Brit Hume told his Fox News colleague Tucker Carlson that it was "an entirely reasonable viewpoint" to propose that older Americans risk their lives in order to save the economy. And the network's senior political analyst suggested that anyone who disagrees does so because they dislike President Donald Trump.

https://www.salon.com/2020/03/25/fox-news-brit-hume-entirely-reasonable-for-elderly-to-risk-getting-coronavirus-to-save-economy/

Save    
Tilly Teabag

Poor rates of testing. Poor amounts of medical staff protective equipment. Insufficient shutdowns. No way can a debacle be averted. The country is going to be as shocked and appalled as they were in the Vietnam War.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Perhaps I missed some current news, heaven knows it comes fast and furious, but hasn't Trump followed his well established MO of opening yap than walking it back? I thought he had moved on to back to work by Easter as being purely " aspirational".

1 Like Save    
jojoco(NY 5)

At the end of the day, Trump measures his success by how the economy, (ie, the stock market,) is doing. There is probably an algorithm that can show that his most hateful and bizarre tweets correlate directly with downturns in the market. All he wants to do is to see the market soar again. Nothing else. Deaths are collateral damage to him.

8 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

There is much more to an economy than the stock market. Sick and dying people can’t produce things for export, for example. How can they pay taxes?

1 Like Save    
barncatz

Nana, I think that's how Dr. Fauci characterized Trump's demand that we get 'er done by Easter, in order to soften the disconnect between that and the data.

Save    
Nana H

Yes it was barncatz, a stupid man being bailed out by a smart man, but I thought Trump had reluctantly gone along with it. Is he still pushing for an Easter resurrection....we already have one that day.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I would TRY and explain my thoughts on why Trump talks of Easter but it would fall on deaf ears anyway. Some would scream "false fallacy". Some of us get it, but you would have to be open.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

Yes, the White House at the moment is saying Trump will "listen to the medical experts".

I agree with an epidemiologist I saw who expressed exasperation with the idea of Trump getting the nation anywhere by Easter. The feds have "guidelines". You can't "lift" suggestions. My gov has us locked down through most of April. Trump can say anything he wants - I'm not able to eat Easter brunch in this state.

I blew my knee about a year ago, so we hired someone who cleans the barn for us on weekday mornings. DH was joking with him yesterday that we'd have to draft a letter for him saying we were raising the horses for meat - agriculture work is considered essential. They're chubby enough right now to make that plausible.

2 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

Social distancing is effective. Ottawa Canada, pop 1 million, did not report any new cases, March 25. Hope this continues. If it does Easter may be ok re-open.

https://www.ottawapublichealth.ca/en/reports-research-and-statistics/la-maladie-coronavirus-covid-19.aspx#Data-Table-for-Figure-2

3 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

I think Canada is still in the early days.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

TTU . encouraging news from Ottawa. I'll try and find similar info on the GTA.

Save    
Save    
tryingtounderstand

aNana, DD works frontline for city, hence has inside info...fingers crossed remains the same today...though we had first death today.

Save    
Kathy

If social distancing is successful why not continue it for a while longer until most hot spots are eliminated rather than spreading it again? Too many areas are still on the upward trend.

5 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

/tryingtounderstand

I know, I follow worldwide news every day on multiple sites. You need SD plus widespread testing, plus personal protective equipment, plus high sanitising, plus to the door delivery services, plus free flowing food and medicine supplies, plus plenty of doctors, nurses, mortuary staff, pharmacists, maintenance staff, raw materials for medicines and equipment, and the equipment itself, plus extra buildings. Then take those resources and double or triple it.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"I hope that when we see hot spots flare up across the country and our death toll goes well into the thousands, you remember why Trump wanted everyone back to work. I thought life was sacred for Republicans, but it's now clear the only thing sacred to them is wealth. "

My goodness!

Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

A friend, in his 80s, reported he saw his doctor last week for check-up and, when he questioned him about the crisis, his doctor said to figure on about 4 months before we see any headway of life getting back to normal here.

5 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

It seems testing everyone in the above town, made a difference. Seems like extreme social distancing made a difference in New Rochelle too.

4 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

I forgot, you need the army to supplement the police.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I think Canada is still in the early days.

Absolutely, but the PM has just invoked the 'Quarantine Act' which includes prison time for violators, Provinces are taking drivers licences away from violators and enacting high fines for violators. So I am hoping that our numbers do not rise but we understand it is not only about the number but about keeping the rise slow so we can keep up.

Canada had the first case around the time the US did but our infection rate and death rate per 1M people is slower.

We may yet get to the level of Italy or beyond and this will all be for naught, but at least we tried, at least we did all we could and that is very important.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Trudeau was clearly ticked the other day when he said " Get the hell home and stay there! " ...or words to that effect. Reminded me of his father during the October Crisis ( FLQ crisis) ..no mincing of words.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

I really like the leadership role Trudeau is taking in Canada And with the G7. Canada sent 16 tonnes of medical supplies to help China.Furthermore he is now on day 15 of isolation and is adhering to medical experts as to whether or not he will attend cabinet meetings. In responding why supplies were sent abroad “Trudeau said that COVID-19 “demands a global response” and now, more than ever, all nations need to work together on ensuring supplies flow and a vaccine is developed.

Trudeau said that the G20 international leaders spoke about the health and economic response to a rapidly spreading virus that, as several federal officials have stated, knows no borders.”

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Canada will do EVERYTHING right, and I can only hope Canada will become the country that everyone wants to risk their life to get to. Go Canada!

USA BAD!

Save    
Nana H

Trudeau is doing a good job. So is Doug Ford... I didn't vote for either of them but credit where credit is due.

5 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

No USA is not bad, the Trump administration is bad for the world, and they are not indicative of the entire country.

If Trump gets everyone back to work early, lets the virus spread willy nilly, how many countries will open their boarders to the USA? His laxness means the world suffers, it is not any different than the Chinese.

Off topic, I am watching the news and it looks like Trump is going to militarize the northern boarder. Details are just coming out.

5 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

@qm, my point abt Trudeau, is his leadership. He is not the same person Or leader as he once was. Most folk remember his disastrous trip to India, and many other issues. But Somehow, someway, he has changed and strives to lead the country in these horrific times by listening to medical scientific experts.

He is openly sharing all info available Trudeau was set to receive the latest modelling from the Public Health Agency of Canada on Wednesday on the evolution of the virus and he vowed to share what he could, saying Canadians “deserve the best information we’ve got about what’s happening today and what tomorrow might bring, because otherwise the uncertainty can be really tough”

He practices what he preaches and I love his words to Covidiots “stay home...or else”

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

What? I am agreeing with you , I am happy for you, GO CANADA.... I don't follow Canadian politics. I take your word for it. I am happy for all Canadians who are happy.

A round of happy socks for everyone!

1 Like Save    
2 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Trudeau is doing a good job. So is Doug Ford... I didn't vote for either of them but credit where credit is due.

Jason Kenney, too. He’s going to have to think long and hard about his healthcare cuts after this is all said and done.

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

Which could be 18 months.

Save    
Nana H

Roxsol, Silver lining........Ford too

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

If push came to shove, President Trump vs Medical experts, which voice or road will folk follow?

3 Likes Save    

President Trump vs Medical experts

California will follow the medical experts. No doubt about it.

6 Likes Save    
Ann

"Trudeau is doing a good job. So is Doug Ford... I didn't vote for either of them but credit where credit is due."

Were either of them on your specific ballot? Were either one of them in your riding?

Save    
Ann

"I really like the leadership role Trudeau is taking in Canada"

Makes perfect sense to me. I feel exactly the same way about the president of my country.

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

What is interesting, in Canada, it seems all major political issues, agendas or differences, and there are many, have been subverted or pushed aside.

What is the difference between these 2 nations? Why is there so much division, at this point in time, in the USA and less so in Canada.

Save    
Ann

"I can only hope Canada will become the country that everyone wants to risk their life to get to. Go Canada!"

Heck yeah, me too! I wish Canadians would enjoy their cold winters quite a bit more too. Right now, we get all the people risking their lives and all the Canadians.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

.......and the Florida economy is thankful for it.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

If Trump says people can go back to work and they don’t, they will forfeit their unemployment? Amirite?

Save    
ubro(2a)

Were either of them on your specific ballot? Were either one of them in your riding?

In our system the PM is not on the ballot.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I don't think so Kathy. Trump can only set a guideline. The Govenors set the directives. Unless Trump did something really stupid like issue and Executive Order.....even then I think it would be challenged. Congress could enact legislation but I can't imagine that happening.

1 Like Save    

What is the difference between these 2 nations?

I've asked myself the same question hundreds of times over the decades about a number of issues.

The first time was when Canada was accepting Salvadoran and Guatemalan refugees fleeing their death-squad governments while Reagan declared them economic refugees and denied refugee status. This was happening while Reagan was giving military aid to the death-squad governments.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

DD works in Fl school system. She has to work. They get no Unemployment because Gov DeSantis did not enact Shelter in place. She works with 8-11 other people. No work no pay.

Save    
Nana H

Kathy, are Florida schools still open???

Save    
tryingtounderstand

I dunno, there were 14million Americans travelling to Canada in 2019. Not a small number by any means.

Save    
Kathy

Nana,

No but teachers are working and admin and kitchens are working. Bus drivers and janitors are cleaning. They are working as many as will come to work because there is no unemployment for them.

teacher are doing online. Admin are cleaning rooms.

Some cities have declare SIP and then they could collect UE

It’s admirable to keep as many as want to work so they get paid but in some instances it is risking transmission. Some took off because they had vaca coming or PTO. Others are working.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

In looking at this forum and folk on it, it is my contention that in Canada, we are more likely to criticize our leaders and give credit where credit is due. It seems, the party does not come into play.

Whereas, I have observed, that folk here will defend their leader at all costs. To me, this does not make sense. Certainly, one cannot agree with every single word, stance or policy the leader takes. There appears to be a lot less give and take between forumites and their respective parties.

5 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Well, is America a world power?

Save    
Ann

"Our policies do not affect your life, our policies you barely feel."

Very true.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Well, Trump is special.

Save    
Love stone homes

Maybe I will pose my question differently. How come Americans support their respective party leaders at all costs, or so it seems. I have yet to see where a republican would see a valid point Or policy from a Democrat’s view point or vice versa.

Surely, neither side has all the answers, solutions etc. Similarly, neither side is not totally in the wrong.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"I can hardly imagine what November will look like if we decide to ignore the experts who are trying to buy us time."

That's why my hair isn't on fire. I have no reason to think we're going to do that.

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand
  • @adopted, so you are saying the President will heed or listen to medical experts, should they recommend not returning to work at Easter? I hope you are right, time will tell!
1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I do not know who is worse Trump of the governor of Mississippi who rolled back all of the procedures that were put in place by people who actually wanted to lower the death count. I know I should not but I hope he lives a long painful life after acquiring the virus.

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2020/mar/24/gov-tate-reeves-orders-limited-gatherings-today-ex/?fbclid=IwAR2v8Ow3Cri0xQqvhJiRM62J-kbXH91i_PU3Q49Bl4SPldyOWmciQHIa5Vo

Save    
Nana H

I'm still not clear. Is Trump still saying he will reassess his guidelines early next week? I can't imagine given the steady increase in numbers. I worry a lot about States like LA. What is happening there is terrifying.

Save    
dandyfopp

Disgusting.

Good luck Mississippi.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Well, we know from the thread on polls that many, many Americans are valuing Trump's daily pressers. So, they know of Trump's thinking about Easter and attending services.

Will they be mad about not being able to attend Easter service in many parts of the country? After thinking they could prep.for it? They will realize Trump was wrong - will it matter for those who are telling pollsters he has their confidence?

Save    
roxsol

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6735064/coronavirus-militarizing-canada-us-border/amp/

Trump is talking about putting the military at the border.

“Any militarization on or near the Canadian border would be a stark departure from traditional relations between the two countries as the Canadian-US border has traditionally been recognized as one of the longest non-militarized borders in the world.

The proposal has raised diplomatic concerns on both sides of the border.“

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

If he does he does, it will all be for show.......and it will play well wth the base which is all that matters to him.

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

I wonder how they will handle the refugees coming into Canada from the USA at Roxham Road.

Will the third country agreement between our countries become null and void for that time?

Will Canada start refusing them? Or have we started?

Will the loophole no longer exist?

So much to think about.

Save    
roxsol

Google is my friend:)

Apparently, the refugees are being turned back to the USA.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

Nana, they are, as you pointed out, guidelines that can be ignored.

It was a good way to highlight the seriousness of the virus, after he denied it for two months, but he cannot order business to open in my state, so I'm not paying much attention to his edicts.

I did just get a postcard listing President Trump's Guidelines for the Corona Virus. Just like buildings, he puts his name on everything.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/coronavirus/no-canadian-trends-after-donald-trump-floats-idea-of-u-s-troops-at-border-during-covid-19-pandemic-1.4869705

"'I think I'll slip across the border illegally where the healthcare is worse and the President thinks people's lives are dispensable,' said no Canadian ever!"

11 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Yup Roxsol, the Canadian govt. put that measure in the same time they closed the boarders.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

ubro, I had read that Trump had to be approached very carefully about closing the border between Canada and USA for non-essential travel. It had to be presented to him in a way that he felt it was was his idea. I’m not sure if the report was accurate, but reading his tweets and just general listening to him talk, I tend to believe it is true.

4 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

Hey, the border needs 1000 troops to safeguard against illegal aliens heading south. This is especially needed, given that the number of illegals doubled from 504 in 2018 to 963 in 2019. Sheesh, that’s one soldier for every illegal. Awesome, given that the majority were illegal Mexicans!

Further, troops will not have any problem apprehending Canadians trying to cross illegally, given that 66% live within 100k of the border. Should be easy to spot and capture.

Save    
roxsol

My concern is that the hordes of illegal aliens, wherever they are, wherever they are coming from, wherever they are going, know to keep at least 2 metres distance between themselves.

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

roxsol

ubro, I had read that Trump had to be approached very carefully about closing the border between Canada and USA for non-essential travel.

I agree, we never had these problems when any other President was serving. Sure there were differences in opinion but I don't remember this general feeling of unease, or the need to pussy foot around and stroke the ego of any one of them.

ETA I guess it was because other POTUS's acted respectful even in the face of disagreement, and then they received it.

5 Likes Save    
roxsol

ubro, I believe other POTUS’s realised how fortunate they were to have a neighbouring country that was such a good ally. Honestly, I think Canada and USA must be the envy of other world governments. (That might be changing, sadly)

Two countries, enormous border and peace. I truly hope it stays that way. I like Americans and America.

6 Likes Save    
roxsol

Just one more comment about President Trump.

I watched him on TV today and when the subject of military at the border came up, he started talking about trade and tariffs. I couldn’t understand what military at the border had to do with that.

I was honestly hoping he would have given a clear and logical reason for putting military at the border and how it would keep Americans safe from COVID 19. I’m sure he has a reason for it, I could have appreciated that, but he sure didn’t explain it.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Do we finally get that wall at the border we always wanted???

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

I’ve always contended that an American’s choice of leadership is not the business of Canadians. Americans solely choose their own future just as Canadians have the sole right to choose theirs.

But I reserve the right to make fun of all people equally, regardless of race, religion, or social status. Trump just makes himself such an easy target.

12 Likes Save    
roxsol

HG, you’re always the voice of reason:)

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

It is obvious trump supporters don’t realize that people who are not Trump supporters see him as a threat to the world. It is not about hate. It is because his inexperience and ignorance of history, government policies, and detest for expert advisers. He has bankrupted companies, cheated business associates and clients. I won’t rattle on about his short falls but it is the reason he is not only feared but distrusted around the world.

No matter how much Trump supporters think he is bring mistreated by the media and defend him, they need to realize we see things about him they seem to be blind to seeing.

7 Likes Save    
lurker111

TDS is a global phenomenon.

2 Likes Save    
maddie260

Lurker: ‘TDS is a global phenomenem’.

What does that tell you?

6 Likes Save    
roxsol

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/canada-objects-to-u-s-plan-to-put-troops-at-border-11585247654

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-us-wont-post-troops-at-canadian-border-ottawa-says-it-strongly/

“The Trump administration dropped its consideration of plans to send U.S. military forces to the Canadian border to help with efforts to combat the new coronavirus, a U.S. official said Thursday, disclosing that decision after Canadian officials had strenuously objected to the idea.“

Probably for the best:)

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Getting back to the OP, and President Trump wanting to get back to work.

I’m sure everyone wants to get back to work but only when it is safe and smart to do so. I hope employers and employees listen to the experts.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6737998/canada-border-towns-us-coronavirus/amp/

excerpt

“Health experts, along with some U.S. governors and industry leaders, oppose any proposal that would prematurely end stay-at-home mandates designed to slow the spread of the virus.

“I’m petrified of what that would mean for Canada,” said Sarnia Mayor Mike Bradley, whose town is located an hour’s drive across the border from Flint, Michigan, and is Canada’s second busiest truck crossing.“

“Several Canadian provinces have closed businesses and schools indefinitely. Among large U.S. border states, New York and Washington, which have seen major outbreaks, have issued stay-at-home orders.

The city of Windsor in Ontario is in talks with Detroit officials about using empty hotels in the Michigan city as quarantine quarters for thousands of Windsor residents who work across the Detroit River in Detroit’s hospitals, medical centers and auto plants.

If the United States eases containment standards, these Canadian workers could have to stay in Detroit “so that they don’t have to go home and possibly infect their families,” said Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens.“

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

What does that tell you?

It tells me that America First was long overdue.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

TDS is a global phenomenon.

Nope, Trump Defense Syndrome is 100% Made in America.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"As I said before, until he abdicates the position as the leader of the free world, as a citizen of the free world I will continue to hold him accountable."

Hold him accountable for what?

3 Likes Save    
barncatz

What does that tell you?

It tells me that America First was long overdue.

Everything will be coming up roses once Trump is in charge! Can't wait!

Save    
socks(10a)

Surely you know, Ann.

Accountable for hundreds more deaths than there would be had he and his incompetent bootlickers paid attention on January 3. I hold him accountable for putting Americans at terrible health and financial risk, and this is one the blabbermouth cannot talk himself out of.

Front line people are struggling and risking their lives to help others, and dt stands there and speaks as if things are going well and criticizes governors. The pandemic is a nightmare and so is he as a "leader." I knew he'd do a major screwup, but I thought it would be something else, not something that affects every single American.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

ABH, it tell me that too. As did the USMCA discussion a few comments up. How dare Trump not be willing to let other countries walk all over the U.S. in negotiations and agreements. How dare he want Canada or any other country to carry their weight in NATO. That big bully!

4 Likes Save    
Ann

Ooooooh, I didn't even expect that answer. Trump is to be held accountable for deaths and financial decline related to the world wide pandemic.

I do spend my days comforted by the idea that Biden may become our president and that he wouldn't have instituted the China travel ban at all. Because that would have saved our country from all that xenophobia and hysteria. How very much better off we would have been!

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If he really wants to get America back to work, he should be all over getting blood tests for antibodies going with all due speed and tests for who has active cases of covid. Only by testing people can we be sure who has and hasn't been exposed and recovered.

But that makes too much sense in light of the "aspiration" of having churches full of people by Easter...

Reminds me of joke about the farmer and God's green acres.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

What Trump supporters don't seem to grasp is the obligation of the Executive Branch to heed national security intelligence and act upon it when necessary.

Instead of denying that this was a problem in the early days (please don't say he didn't) Trump should have ordered a broad, experienced and knowledgeable task force to formulate a National strategy in conjunction with the States and a plan to execute it. A proactive not reactive team!

Instead he said it was under control, expected to go away quickly and was a Democratic hoax (please don't say he didn't) . The only thing he worried about was the stock market and being blamed, That is not leadership , quite the opposite.

Now when things are absolutely disastrous he blames the Governors, the Chinese and Democrats. he goes on Nationwide TV to say Cuomo is misrepresenting the needs of NY, That is reprehensible.

Yet somehow he has managed to convince his base that his actions are not only appropriate but that he has managed this crisis beautifully. This isn't anywhere near over and at some point the lights will come on....or not.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Annie, I think the U.S. might be more "all over" the potential treatments, antibodies and vaccines than any other country in the world (and many countries are very hard at the same kind of work). Countries are working together, sharing information, putting their best minds to the task, etc. Maybe you missed Fauci speaking yesterday. He wants stockpiles of even promising phase two trial drugs produced, so they are produced and ready to deliver as further (and later stage) testing phases continue - just in case they end up fully demonstrating adequate promise.

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

Glad president Trump changed his mind re troops at the Canada USA border. Even just from a taxpayer viewpoint, it did not make good $$$ sense. 1,000 troops is a lot of money and the fact that last year 1,000 illegals were apprehended, and the majority were from the southern countries I.e. Mexico.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

It’s a good bet that the virus will not subside by Easter. How will you all feel about a return to work and ‘normalcy’ at that point?

Save    
queenmargo

“The Trump administration dropped its consideration of plans to send U.S. military forces to the Canadian border to help with efforts to combat the new coronavirus, a U.S. official said Thursday, disclosing that decision after Canadian officials had strenuously objected to the idea.“

And some say Trump never listens. He listens more than you think he listens.

Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Just a few weeks ago Trump put Pence in charge of the task force because Trump figured it might be a losing battle and he wanted to distance himself from it. But then Pence was getting too much attention so Trump jumped back in to MC the press conferences and Pence was put in the back row.

Save    
Ann

"Yet somehow he has managed to convince his base that his actions are not only appropriate but that he has managed this crisis beautifully."

Yup, he's doing a very good job and it's more than just his base that thinks that, if one believes what the polls are telling us. Over 50% of Americans approve of his handling of coronavirus, and I don't imagine you'd argue that what you refer to as "his base" is more than 50% of Americans, would you?

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

tryingtounderstand- I am hoping that the virus will "subside" by Easter. I think it will depend on where you are living and the data presented at the time. This is a wait and see. There will be some who will rush out and others will hold back and play it more cautious. I think I will lean to caution and slowly increase back to normalcy.

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

But then Pence was getting too much attention so Trump jumped back in to MC the press conferences and Pence was put in the back row.

Trump does not like being upstaged, his ego walks a fine line avoiding responsibility and dishing out blame.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Biden will be strong and decisive and tell that reporter that it's a nasty question and then proceed with personal insults, then you'll be applauding right?

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

It’s a good bet that the virus will not subside by Easter.

Oh no! With all the hairdressers and nail salons being shutdown, things are really starting to get ugly out there!

(I read that this morning and it made me laugh)

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"Yet somehow he has managed to convince his base that his actions are not only appropriate but that he has managed this crisis beautifully."

From today:

ETA: If the level of the black approval line does indeed represent "his base", that would be wonderful in what it tells us regarding expansion of "his base".

1 Like Save    
Ann

Margo, not only will some hold back, but there will be data driven guidelines, county by county, providing guidance. Dr. Birx discussed this upcoming modeling just yesterday, along with her discussion of the interesting method Sweden has utilized.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Makes me laugh too, roxsol:)

2 Likes Save    
Ann

While the previous chart was strictly approval on coronavirus, this one is Trump job approval (at an RCP average of 47.3 today). I really like the recent upswing. This one might actually tell us a bit about Trump's potential base expansion.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Ann, I will admit those numbers baffle me. If they hold I will have to do some serious thinking about what that may mean. Right now I wonder if it is a reaction to a National emergency.

Save    
Ann

I do think it's a reaction to a national emergency but, unlike you, I think many think Trump is handling it well. I'm one of those who think that.

2 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

Re Troops and USA Canada border, yes Trump listened to the Canadian govt and, perhaps to his own advisors, so that’s a good thing.

At Easter, I sincerely hope she listens to his medical experts and abide by their reasoning and advice. Dr.Fauci know of what he speaks. In fact, why can’t he turn the mic over to Dr. Fauci during his conferences?

Save    
Ann

I think Dr. Fauci and all of them are getting all the time they want, and more, at the microphone each day. I can't remember a time this country has ever been provided more info each and every day. It's amazing how very long they stand up there and field questions - every single one of them.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Not only are the polls up for Trump, but the betting market is too. This market changes quickly and sometimes by a significant amount. When Biden had his two Tuesdays of good success in the primaries, he took quite a lead over Trump in this category. That has changed over the last couple weeks and now looks like this.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Curb Appeal Expert Talk: Front Doors Hold Key to Great Style
You can't take back a first impression. Professionals explain why they chose these striking front doors for their clients' homes
Full Story
Most Popular Your Back-to-School Game Plan
Set up a few systems now for an easy and organized routine when school starts
Full Story
Features Back to the Future of the House
Can the low-tech dwellings of the past offer design lessons for homes to come? A palace curator and book author says yes
Full Story