Fauci: 'I can't jump in front of the microphone and push him down'

dublinbay z6 (KS)

One has to sympathize with the man. What can be done to restrict Trump?

-------------

"In an interview with Science magazine’s Jon Cohen published Sunday night, Fauci was asked about some of the misinformation Trump has spread from the White House podium, often with the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases standing by his side.

“What about the travel restrictions?” asked Cohen. “President Trump keeps saying that the travel ban for China, which began [Feb. 2], had a big impact [on slowing the spread of the virus to the United States] and that he wishes China would have told us three to four months earlier and that they were ‘very secretive.’ It just doesn’t comport with facts.”

“I know, but what do you want me to do?” replied Fauci. “I mean, seriously, Jon, let’s get real, what do you want me to do?”

[. . .]

The way it happened,” Fauci explained, “is that after he made that statement [suggesting China could have revealed the discovery of the virus months earlier], I told the appropriate people, it doesn’t comport, because two or three months earlier would have been September,” before the first cases even appeared. . . . But I can’t jump in front of the microphone and push him down. OK, he said it. Let’s try and get it corrected for the next time.”

[. . .]

But Fauci said Trump does listen to him.

“To [Trump’s] credit, even though we disagree on some things, he listens,” said Fauci. “He goes his own way. He has his own style. But on substantive issues, he does listen to what I say.”

The 2008 Medal of Freedom recipient, who was a leader as long ago as the 1980s in the fight against AIDS, has had to gently correct Trump a number of times during the daily coronavirus briefings, which usually start calmly with the president reading prepared statements and then veer off the rails as reporters ask questions. Over the past week, Fauci has attempted to temper Trump’s enthusiasm on potential treatments for coronavirus and confirmed stories of hospitals facing supply shortages after the president attempted to downplay them.

[. . .]

“At Friday’s press conference, you put your hands over your face when President Trump referred to the ‘deep State Department.’ It’s even become an internet meme. Have you been criticized for what you did?” asked Cohen.

“No comment,” replied Fauci."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dr-anthony-fauci-working-with-president-trump-coronavirus-interview-131558331.html

--------------------------------

Let's face it--if Fauci did something dramatic--grabbing the microphone and lecturing Trump on how wrong his info. is, or something like that--Trump wouldn't be repentant. He would just fire Fauci and bad-mouth him. And then we would have no one in the WH we could trust.

But it is kinda hard to forget that image of Fauci putting his hands over his face in response to Trump's latest lie. There is a reason why that image is making the rounds of the internet and social media.

Kate

SaveComment16Like7
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joaniepoanie

Fauci could just retire and Trump/administration would lose all credibility. Obviously, he’s putting up with the Ignorant Dolt in Chief for the good of the country. If Trump had one ounce of sense he’d realize he’s in way over his head at long last and step aside and let the experts handle it. Better yet, RESIGN already.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I am expecting to hear the sobriquet Tiny Tony if he really starts rubbing Trump the wrong way. Dr. Fauci is doing us a great service by sticking to his guns but how long will it lasts when the monarch is no longer amused?

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I can’t jump in front of the microphone and push him down.

We can dream, can't we?

6 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

A wrestling match/press conference on live TV, cool, trump would love the ratings.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Brooklyn guys always beat the guys from Queens.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

I think he can. He’s just being polite. I’m pretty sure he wants to, often.

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Fauci said on Levin that Trump backs him 100%, and he's very proud of their team and Trump always defers to him and other members of the team. Try another one.

3 Likes Save    
ohiomom

What can be done to restrict Trump?

Duct tape (^_^)

5 Likes Save    
chipotle

No Fauci today. Not a good sign.

4 Likes Save    
petalique

Trump — all about money. He is ignorant, nasty and moronic. Zero morals.

Dr. Deborah Birx must want to vomit.

Politicians, no scientists. No Dr. Fauci, No CDC researchers. Holy carp.

Corrupt political hacks ungodly, unAmerican, greedy. They wouldn’t know a virus from a bag of potato chips. Disgusting. Obscene.

Trump to citizens, workers, medical professionals: “DROP DEAD. Happy sickness and suffocation. Jared, Ivanka, and Stephen Miller will be distributing usesless, hyped (for coronavirus) antimalarials (of which our companies enjoy large investments in). We’ve cancelled the orders for ventilators. Let’s get real, folks. Survival of the non wealthy fittest.

Merchants you may just go about business as if there is no pandemic.

Dr. Tony will be taking a few weeks off. The Russians have generously offer their new throat soothing medicine, “Slippery Snake Oil” to Dr. Tony.

I will resume campaigning and the next Hate Rally will be in ————— Kentucky next week.”

_~_~_

Politicians should not be giving out medically themed nonsense under the guise of information.

STAY Home. Don’t mingle. Buy and use as little as possicle. Don’t patronize any trump toady industries. Don’t fly. Avoid cruises.

Vote foolish Trump n tribe out of office. Register to vote and help others and VOTE like you’ve never voted before.

edited

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

Save    
heri_cles

Trump had enough of Fauci who corrected Trump falsehoods and looked at him like he was a madman.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Save    
elvis

And^^^??

Save    
Nana H

So was he on Hannity?

Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

One great thing, it doesn't matter if he never appears at a WH press event ever again. Dr. Fauci can get all the air time he wants --- or that WE need. He's so well-respected, he can have nearly any platform at his disposal. I say "nearly" because State-run media (sarc) won't want to have anyone on who contradicts Trump's message.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: How Can I Tell a Construction Crew to Pipe Down?
If workers around your home are doing things that bother you, there’s a diplomatic way to approach them
Full Story
Apartment Life It Can Work: Sit-Down Dining Solutions for Small Spaces
5 small-home dwellers find room for stylish dinner parties, even with no dining room in sight
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Slow Down and Ease Up: A Sanity-Saving Approach to Life
Why not take the pressure off and live a little more consciously in 2017? The challenging goals can wait
Full Story