SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karafindley

Internal Kitchen "bump-out" - which layout would you choose?

Kara Gladish
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I don't know about y'all, but I've had a lot of time on my hands lately to dream about house projects!!! And I would love your input on possible layouts for a kitchen reno.

My husband and my 1989 duplex currently has a pretty small kitchen. He and I know how to tango in it when cooking or hosting, but I hate when guests wander in to get water and get in our way. Or worse, hang out at the end of the "island" - that entry space into the kitchen is only 31" wide, so we have to squeeze by them. Overall I would love if everything were roomier! I hate the wall seen at the far right and want to take that out. Not seen, even farther right, on the other side of that wall, there is just 25" of wall before our back door, which we use a lot to get to the porch, yard, and garage. So we're pretty constrained that direction (I'll call that the kitchen depth). So the counter (where the 2 chairs are) could go outward maybe 7" before getting in the way of the door traffic.

However, to the left of the fridge, we are considering an "internal bump-out." In an L-shaped closet we currently have stacked laundry which we want to move upstairs, and a pantry. Facing the end of the "island" is another small pantry. So, the old laundry space could become the new pantry, and the rest of the space could be eaten into for the kitchen reno, which would give us 30" crucial inches of space. So the fridge could move left, and we could repurpose the removed wall's cabinets. (Of course getting new cabinets is an option, but I don't dislike these if we can reuse them)

The debate is the new layout. Here are the goals:

• More space to work with in the kitchen
  • Either go to a true island for 2 entry points, OR make the 1 entry point wider
  • Optimize for hosting/entertaining. For one, is it better to have the sink in the island, or at the window as far as facing guests during prep/kitchen work?
  • Go from 2 to 3 seats at the counter

So using the Sims for as good a mockup as I can do lol, here are some options! (The Sims doesn't have dishwashers, so the white oven represents where that would go)

A. True island with sink and no window cabinets

• Dishwasher would go to sink's left - most convenient for us righties
  • Good work triangle
  • Sink is convenient for hosts and guests to access
  • Given kitchen depth constraint, can the island be deep enough for the sink? Apron sink might help.
  • Widest possible total entry space
  • More space in front of fridge
  • Loss of some storage space, but we're pretty minimal
  • No counter space in front of window for plants

B. Still a U shape like currently, but deeper in the kitchen to fit a dishwasher next the sink (counter overhang wouldn't have to go all the way to the wall - just couldn't mock that up)

• Nice to have sink view looking out window
  • No sink blocking guests' view and no dirty dishes in front of them
  • Wide entry point
  • More space in front of fridge
  • More room in the kitchen (min 52" depth, with a 28" sink and 24" dishwasher)
  • Really pushes closeness to backdoor

C. True island with sink at window

• Nice to have sink view looking out window
  • No sink blocking guests' view and no dirty dishes in front of them
  • Dishwasher door would block path when open
  • 2 entries, but they're a bit narrow

D. True island with sink and window cabinets

• Dishwasher would go to sink's left - most convenient for us righties
  • Good work triangle
  • Sink is convenient for hosts and guests to access
  • Given kitchen depth constraint, can the island be deep enough for the sink? Apron sink might help.
  • 2 entries, but they're a bit narrow
  • More storage than option A
  • Space in front of window for plants

What do you think???

Comments (20)