SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Spring : a time for new beginnings

I so hope no one feels toes are being stepped on . I wish jim would pop in and let us know How he is doing !! In this crazy time we need to keep in contact and let each other know if we need prayers or help or support in some way . We have all been friends for so long and Have become family!

so jim , I am not taking the job from you , (unless you don’t want it ! ) just wanted to start the spring thread and ask that we fill it with hope and joy and beauty, as well as our thoughts and fears and being a shoulder to anyone who needs it . This thread has been a wonderful tradition that keeps us connected all over the world !

Comments (245)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Did someone say weeping cherry?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Pippa, I just planted Marc chigall too

We can compare notes. Mine is bareroot in a pot .

You will love Darcy. She is a very good bloomer and mine is one of the last to stop blooming

Isn't this the best time of year when our long awaited roses arrive? It is so exciting!

I am also anxiously waiting for my dahlias to arrive.

• Related Discussions

Spring is the time for... new Hoyas!

Q

Comments (25)
    My wish list of plants I plan to get this year: australis ssp. Tenuipes cagayanensis calycina villosa Maybes: benguetensis chlorantha CFM-8 lambii lobbii patella Wishing and wanting but ain't happening anytime soon: Eriostemmas microphylla tjadasmalangensis I've definitely forgotten some, not feeling organized enough at the moment to suss them out. How my wish list pans out will be determined greatly by the amount of space I decide I have. I'm going to be rearranging furniture and planning on downsizing my plant collection very soon so I can grow things that I really enjoy, vs the ones that are just ok.
    ...See More

It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Spring (Greenhouse Pics)

Q

Comments (22)
    Thank you all. The Candy Corn vine is Manettia bicolor. It's sold here as an annual, I'm not sure how hardy it is. I'm not sure how well it would ship. I cannot take credit for being the professional grower. My brother is the owner of the greenhouses and I work there in the early Spring until my own landscape maintenance business becomes more active. Joel built his first greenhouse and started selling plants when he was still in high school. Ron
    ...See More

Spring : a time for new beginnings Part 2

Q

Comments (278)
    Oh, she is really beautiful!!! Truly! Great job on getting through the hard part. I like what Kristine said...may you always be the best of friends!! Try and take it easy...get lots of rest.
    ...See More

Spring : new beginnings part 4

Q

Comments (325)
    Minshin - I'm in Calgary, Alberta. The hail capital of Canada! LOL Oooh! Your CPM looks heaven-lit!!! Kristine - Good heavens!!!! If my ORA had looked even a tiny, wee little bit as good as yours...it would still be here. Totally, off the charts amount of glorious flowers!! I can' believe it!!!! Ooooh!!! I've always loved the look of CRM!!! The lavender color is exquisite!! Stephanie - beautiful yard...and your path is wonderful!!! I want that in my yard! jc - is it a kingsnake? It sure is long!! Deborah - holy sh*t!!!!! That would scare the bejeebers out of me!!!! It's a wonder I didn't hear you screaming from way over here!! I love your picture with the blue chair...the colors of your roses are amazing!! White Licorice is such a wonderful rose...yours does you proud! Wowza! Your Julie Andews is awesome!!! What is the fragrance like? Wonderful roses!!
    ...See More
  • rosecanadian
    4 years ago

I'm getting slightly depressed about spring. Snow, cold weather...repeat. Sigh. My roses will never go outside it seems.

4 years ago

I'm so sorry Carol

It is depressing when you are patiently waiting for spring and the weather doesn't cooperate.

Hopefully it will come soon and then you will finally be able to play with your plants and get your new purchases potted.

4 years ago

I think the false start made it doubly difficult. I know this isn't possible, but if anyone ever needed a greenhouse, it's you! You'd be there all winter tending your hothouse beauties and sipping cups of tea.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Carol, I can sympathize. My husband asked if we could get the roses out of the garage about 3 weeks ago. I told him a few more days because the forecast was looking good, then, a few more days, and a few more days, and they're still in the garage. We keep getting random snow days and nighttime temps dipping into the 20s. There's no point in hoping for an early spring here. Mother's Day is the earliest it ever comes.

Are there greenhouses where you don't have to mess with heaters and humidifiers and all that paraphernalia?

4 years ago

flowers, a friend built a lean-to type which benefited from the heated house. I don't believe it had independent heating outside of a portable oil heater. This sort of thing is popular in England which is, of course, much warmer. If I had a good exposure, I'd consider one myself.

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

I'll rejoin this discussion later--I'm pretty down right now, but here is a message of hope for better days. Diane

4 years ago

Thanks, Vap. I think about it now and then, but get hung up on the inner workings of a greenhouse. I would love a place for seed starting as well as to house my potted roses during winter. Something to think about.

4 years ago

WOW!, Diane, if that rainbow doesn't lift your spirits, nothing I can say will. I hope you find something good to rest your mind on today along with that perfect rainbow to lift you out of the doldrums. I should talk! I know I'm a bit depressed, too.

Northland's opening day is tomorrow, but they have asked those of us picking up our rose orders to wait a month because of the crummy weather. Anything else like bags of compost, amendments, etc., have to be phoned or emailed in, paid for, and will be brought to the car by employees. Not the usual fun opening day. There is so much more to see there this year, but no one can see it - or, I'm afraid - buy it.

Tell us about the photo. Did you take it? Or, maybe one of your artistic granddaughters? Was it recent? It's magnificent.

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

That's such a beautiful rainbow I love when you can see the entire thing!

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Sounds like I'm not alone. And, yes, that false start we had really made this worse. It got my hopes up. Plus, I haven't been out of the house forever. My husband is going to the bank...and I'm going to go with him...stay in the car...but just get out of the house.

Come on spring!

Diane - I love the rainbow!

Oops...I have to go now...daughter problems

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

It's like our house is in a snow globe...talk about snowing!!! Crap. LOL

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

So sorry to hear you're down in the dumps, Diane. And flowers and Carol.

Nothing much going on here in the way of blooms, but piles and piles of prunings to get rid of. It would be great to have a bonfire, but it just keeps on raining! Not all the time though, so I'm lucky, and can get outside to keep adding to the piles!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Such a beautiful picture Diane! And so sorry you, Carol and flowers are feeling down. You three always make me feel better! It’s difficult not to feel down these days, with what we‘re all going through now. I have to keep telling myself, it will get better! I do know roses have been an escape these days, it does help. Hoping for spring and a warm up for everyone soon!

Kristine, here’s a picture of my DARCEY BUSSELL, I wish mine was as good as yours. I did notice it’s grown quite a bit. It has had some beautiful blooms from time to time.

4 years ago

Thank you all for the good wishes, but I'm just whining. We are stocked up and have a comfortable place to be isolated. My heart breaks for those who are confined to a house with someone who might be cruel or even violent, both of which can accelerate under the circumstances.

I got out today to drop off some mail and do some banking, and didn't have to get out of the car either time. My grandson will laugh at the birthday card I sent him. It was a sympathy / encouragement card, but he knows I have not been out, and keeps telling me to stay inside. My husband would rather chew off his arm than shop for cards. Just driving down the highway and getting some fresh air for a few minutes was rejuvenating. The lack of traffic was shocking during peak traffic hours. Kind of eerie.

Sara Ann, such a great photo! Why don't I have Darcey??? I ask myself that every time I see her. This will be the year for more pale Austins for me. I ought to be adding brighter colors, but I can't help myself.

Trish, with your daughter's new interest in gardening, she might like trying to root a few of those cuttings and see what happens. Beginners often have the best luck.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

John Prine died of Covid-19. I loved him. What a loss of one of the great ones.

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    4 years ago

Sheila -- I just posted the video of John Prine and Stephen Colbert singing a duet - That's the World Goes Round (on my FB page). Have you seen it? Very sweet. RIP.

4 years ago

Okay -- so I thought I had some time to get caught up on your news and post a bit, but then my Dad called because all of his "sent" mail is not sending and just sitting in his outbox. After an hour, I could not solve his problem over the phone. And there went my Houzz social time. I will catch up later, and in the meantime assure you that spring is coming. Here are some photos. But don't laugh at my flower arranging skills. I'm so bad. I tried posting 3 more photos in a separate post 3x, but Houzz keeps disappearing it. Oh well. These will have to suffice!

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Titian - the end of next week will start the season of going back and forth to the garage with my roses. I'll be happier then. I'm just not feeling it now. Rain where you are ... snow here. Blech. :)

Merlena - Thanks for the empathy...it helps. :) It really does! Earlier today, I couldn't even look at rose pictures...made me too upset. But now I can appreciate them....gosh, that's a great picture of DB!! Such a happy color!

Flowers - yes, I went out for a short drive today...it did help a lot!

It's going to snow Friday, Sat and Sun...so I'm giving you all a heads up for the upcoming whine-fest from me. LOL

Deborah - thanks for the cheer! Darn about your Houzz time being gone...and your Dad still has his problem. Rats. Wow! Everything is so lush where you are! And I love your sheltie and flagstones! What a nice cool place to rest in the heat of summer when it comes. Your Winchester Cathedral?? looks great! Such a vivid white!

4 years ago

Carol oh, I'm commiserating. I brought all my potted plants and cuttings outside cuz it was above 40 at night all this week but now we may have Frost over the weekend! I have to drive them all back in and probably not for that long and then take them all back out again. But it's coming I'm halfway through my pruning at least. You just have to hold on a little longer. Still go out for your walks like you used to with no gloves on?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Thank you flowers and Carol!

It is difficult to think about those who live in abusive situations and so unfortunate that’s even an issue at any time. Especially concerning for the children who depend on school as a respite from an unhappy home life.

Beautiful pictures Deborah!

4 years ago

Merlena your Darcy is beautiful! Absolutely a stunner!.

One year mine was the first to bloom but I dont know about this year because Distant Drums ( it's first year ) has taken off like crazy and I remember someone saying that it's the first to bloom for them.

We finally have wonderful weather which just makes it sadder to not be able to get together with the family for .Easter. Someone reminded me that the first Easter the Disciples were locked in a room hiding

So I guess that this is closer to the original Easter. No bunnies or baskets, no eggs, no gathering together. But I am still so grateful to celebrate Easter with or without all of the stuff.

Yesterday we finally turned the water back on and I had a chance to give everything a good drink. The rain of last week was kind of a bust so everything was ready for some water and fertalizer.

For my rose friends still in the midst of the yuk and snow my heart goes out to you as you wait for warmer days. The false spring is the worst and hopefully sooner than later your weather will be warm and lovely.

There will be a house next door to me for sale before long so if you get fed up with the snow here is your opportunity for a nice Zone 8 house. Justi saying

4 years ago

Kristine, I'm tempted to jump on the house next door to you, sight unseen. What an opportunity for a gardener, and living next door to you would make every day fun.

SUCH a good point about the first Easter. It's sobering. We're hiding, too, from a deadly virus.

It usually rains on Easter, but we always managed to have our egg hunt. I've told before about our friends who reverse the egg hunt and the grown kids hide goodie bags for the adults filled with all sorts of things, like stocking gifts. They're personalized, so you have to find the one with your name on it. If you find someone else's, you can't tell. The last time we participated, it was raining, and we ended up like soaked rats, but definitely worth all the laughs. I guess they won't be doing that this year.

Deborah, your white rose doesn't look quite like my Winchester Cathedral, so I'm guessing it's Bolero? But, Carol knows her roses, so I'm probably wrong. I recommended Bolero to my daughter in Pasadena. She wants a white rose that stays short. Her Iceberg blooms were all above her head. I assured her that Bolero stays smallish even in So. CA. I hope I'm right. I think French Lace stays short, too, in case Bolero doesn't work out.

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

I guessed Bolero, too, Flowers. Diane

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Vaporvac - I never use gloves, even in the coldest weather. I just don't need them. LOL You have a good memory! Keep ahead of that frost. :)

Kristine - zone 8!! What a temptation!! And living next door to you and your garden!! In Ontario, Premier Ford has deemed the Easter Bunny to be an essential server...and will be allowed to hide candy...as long as it's not somewhere public. LOL That was a good reminder about the first Easter. Thanks for commiserating with us. :) And I'm glad you have better weather now. I just have to wait about 2 weeks...yay!!!

Flowers - Thanks for the vote of confidence :) .... but I don't know roses that well...especially Austins which I only grow one or two. It's probably Bolero! :)

• Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

Here is my new beginning from last year with Lemon Spice. So looking forward to this year!

Here is at the end of August is Twilight Zone (top)

and a little scraggly Munstead Wood. Funny how close in color.

Lady of Shallot, LaReine, Twilight Zone (playing peek-a-boo) and Munstead Wood.

Now that is a zapp of color! Bam!

4 years ago

Sheila, I'm sad with you that the world has lost John Prine. I know he was a favorite of yours.

Diane, I think we're right about Bolero. Tell us the story behind that perfect rainbow photo.

Nola, what a pretty yellow. I detect a tad more purple in Twilight Zone than Munstead, but you'd hardly notice the difference if you weren't looking for it.

Just returned from Northland. It was a very welcome bit of normalcy and just what I needed. I came home with 4 clems and a bag of their custom blend rose food that's great for getting new roses off to a good start. A lot of the things I was hoping to find will be delivered tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to force myself to go back.

Well, this isn't working. I can't get Daisy off my lap and I can't see or reach the keyboard.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Those are lovely Nola! So colorful!

I just tried to post a bunch of pictures, they disappeared!

Here‘s the best one! My daughter sent me this picture this evening of my youngest grandson Joe, sure miss this little fella, and the whole bunch!

The other pictures were a couple of first blooms, a few buds that are about to open and my ARE order which I am very impressed with. Their roses are big and healthy looking and I love the way they are packed so securely, and so easy to unpack. I ordered 2 Belindas’s Dream, Don Juan, Mme Isaac Pereire, Maggie and Setina from them.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

flowers, I didn’t see your post. I’m glad you enjoyed your Northland trip. I think it’s good to try to find a little normalcy right now. My sister Paula was telling me how excited she is to go buy her perennials. The place where she gets them is doing it by appointment and she can hardly wait!

4 years ago

Flowers, you got to go to Northland? How fun is that! I have 3 roses coming from them next week..

Today was my first time out of the house in almost a month . My husband usually does the shopping but I needed Birthday cards so I got to go. Seeing so many people in masks made me feel less dorky in mine

Nola, your Lemon Spice is so beautiful

4 years ago

Jealous you got to go to Northland, but happy also! What a treat. S-A love the pic especially with your gs smelling the lilacs. That scent take me right back to childhood. BTW, you are going to love Setina and Maggie. Mine came through winter with flying colours.

4 years ago

Kristine, I know! Getting out was therapeutic. I wish you could have seen all the roses just raring to go. All so bright green and healthy and lots of blooms. Since they've been green house grown, they're ahead of the game. They sell the nicest bands.

Sara Ann, cute photo of your grandson. Are those your lilacs? Mine are finally setting buds, but with these freezing nights, it may take awhile before I see blooms.

Vapor, is Maggie anything like Mme. Isaac Pereire? I have 2 MIP, and thought Maggie was pretty much the same. Some photos of Maggie look like Flamenco Rosita, and I also have 2 of those. Do I need Maggie?

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Nola - Fabulous roses! I really like Lemon Spice! Which is odd, because I usually go for the bright vivid, kick you in the face colors. :)

Merlena - what a handsome young boy!! He's got wonderful eyes and a cute smile. Ooh! You got new roses!!

Kristine - people here don't seem to wear masks all that much. Not that I'm outside to see. LOL But my husband said so.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Thank you Vaporvac, flowers and Carol. No, it’s not my lilac bush, I don’t have one, but they’ve always been a favorite. I’m sure the picture was taken yesterday, and I haven’t seen them in over a month because of social distancing.

Vaporvac, thank you for the encouraging words about Maggie and Setina, I’m excited about both! I got Maggie because it’s not supposed to get as tall as MIP, but I miss my other one, it got choked out by a tree, I sure miss it. IMO there’s no such thing as too many Bourbons! I know I’m repeating myself, but I’m looking so forward to seeing Variegata di Bologna bloom, it’s loaded with buds!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

KATHLEEN HARROP - Not my first bloom to begin opening, but the prettiest so far!

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Oooh! That is pretty!!

4 years ago

Trying again here...yesterday's photos -- the pathway and garden in the rain (you can see the buds of Distant Drums, and High Hopes in the background) ... the sunset and the coming rain clouds, and the red rose that smells so fragrant and is so classically beautiful -- Love's Promise. I brought it in 2 days ago so the rain wouldn't totally ruin it.

Flowers - you are right! That was my new baby Bolero -- purchased because Lisa loves it so much. I also like Moondance, but I think I might fall in love with Bolero because of its scent! Carol, I had Winchester Cathedral, but it never really looked amazing, so I gave it away last year to a neighbor who is loving it. I gave away Black Cherry and Dick Clark this year, and so far they seem to like their new homes, too.

Nola - I used to have Lemon Spice, but it died in the Tea Fire, and I've never replaced it. I tried with a tiny band, but it didn't take. I have to say, though, that I have fallen in love with Poet's Wife. I love your BAM color combo!

Sara Ann - lovely bloom & cutie pie grandson!

Sorry all of you still in winter! How you manage the pots is beyond me.

I'll try again (one more time) to post the other photos...

Peace to all of you. Stay well!

4 years ago

Oh! It worked! Finally! That's Olivia Rose Austin (you can just see the wildflower, Tidy Tips, in the back right corner), Huntington's 100th (Life of the Party) - looking a little squashed, and Easter Eggs (with Olivia, Poet's Wife, Carding Mill, Chantilly Peach Snapdragons) in the background. *This* was the floral arrangement I was apologizing for...

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

Hi all, I'm thinking we may need to start a new seasonal thread part. When photos and posts get hard to load, or don't at all, that has been a sign in the past to start a new thread. Just a suggestion. Hope you are all well. Love all the photos and posts. Hi Carol, glad you're back at last. And Deborah, I love pathways--they just beg you to follow them to something beautiful. Diane

4 years ago

Thank you Ann you enabler you.

I just added my name to the waitlist for Windsor Castle Wedding. I will definitely find a place for that rose.

Everybody better bring their A game this year or Windsor Castle wedding will be taking your place.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    4 years ago

Why Is beautiful day so beautiful ? Im obssesed with the colors on this rose .

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    4 years ago

Some species tulips I've been enjoying.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    4 years ago

My beloved Butterflies Magnolia

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    4 years ago

Roses are still weeks away but enjoying all the spring color!

• Nick 10bSW17
    4 years ago

BD is a looker Kenneth- I’m still kicking myself for moving it off my shortlist this winter, and it's only going to get worse once BenT starts sharing his! What variety of salvia is that in the background?

I love your magnolia Chris, what a perfect name for it.

4 years ago

Actually Beautiful Day might make a nice fellow bed mate to Daybreaker.

4 years ago

Kenneth - what a beautiful rose! I'm not familiar with Beautiful Day. Is it strongly scented?

Chris -- I think we are driving the same RAV4? Lovely flowers -- what a gorgeous magnolia. I thought that was more of a tropical-esque kind of tree, but you're in NY?

Diane -- how are you feeling today?