SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_250784160

Help! This bathtub was supposed to be cement, now it's PAINTED

C A
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

SO, the contractor, I told him I want a cement tub, like the inspiration photos I attached here. He did pave it with cement all around the tub, but it's harsh and with texture and it also will look dark when it gets wet until it dries again. So, he recommended we paint over the cement with paint that is a gray color to give that cement effect.

STUPID idea. I haven't even moved into this house yet or started using the tub or even turned the water on yet and I can see already that although he says "the paint is washable" it's not going to hold up, I was able to scratch it too. This is ridiculous.

Now the new guys working on my house said we can scratch all the paint off and then treat the cement, so it will look like cement but smooth and treated and can handle water in the bathtub. He said there is some sort of paint that goes on the cement, kinda acting like a sealer? Sorry, I cannot totally explain as I obviously didn't catch how he explained it exactly. But basically it makes it smooth instead of that rough texture. Anyone know what that is?

OR, anyone know how can I salvage this HORRIBLE bathtub idea without having to remove the tub and start all over. :-(

Attached are two inspiration photos with show tubs I was trying to go for as far as look. The attached an outside wall to show what I mean by the raw cement texture. Then I attached photo of my bathtub in the bathroom with the gray patterned tile flooring and the bathtub clearly is painted, with a close up of how I was already able to scratch it.

How do I save this?

-------------

PHOTOS BELOW

inspiration photo:

inspiration photo:

the rough looking cement (it's scratchy and it gets dark when wet)

see how paint already scratches off my bathtub....

my bathtub...they painted over the rough scratchy cement. :-/

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus