SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan275

Do you have a salt lick for your butterflies?

perennialfan275
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Many people with butterfly gardens provide host plants and nectar sources for them, but unfortunately butterflies have other needs as well. Like all living things, butterflies need minerals. Sodium in particular is very important to them as the females need it in order to lay eggs (although oddly enough the male is usually the one who provides these minerals during mating). I will admit I never really thought about this much until watching National Geographic. I was watching a show on South America (if I'm not mistaken), and I remember watching the butterflies "puddling" (finding mud puddles and drinking from them) and I thought perhaps we can help them get what they need. There are many ways we can provide these minerals, and I'll post a link to a video I found below that explains one way you can make a simple "puddling station" for your butterflies. Now, this is by no means essential. There are many other ways butterflies can get minerals, but this will encourage them to visit your yard instead of going somewhere else.

I will admit, up until a few years ago I never really thought or cared much about butterflies. But the more things I've planted in my gardens over the years the more I notice them. I started to enjoy having them around and greatly look forward to their return every year. In short I've come to love and care for them, because they are beautiful and I've realized how important to our ecosystem they are. I never really thought that butterflies needed our help, but when you read about millions of monarchs dying every year it makes me want to try to help them. If giving them a little salt means a few more butterflies will survive this year (or that more eggs will be laid), it's worth it IMO.

Comments (13)