SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
damask_rose_zone9b

Original Damask Rose from Middle East

Hello everyone!

For the longest time I have been trying to figure out the type of rose that my parents grew up with when they lived in their homeland. They were very young when they came here, so I can’t give much description about the rose. My dad said it was a big bush with arching canes and lots of clear pink flowers. The petals were not very tightly packed and not loose either. He does not remember if it bloomed once or twice a year. My nana used to make rosewater with it. My mom’s grandma had one in her garden and she used to make rosewater out of it as well. Both of my parents said that it had a very strong perfume. I did a lot of research about it and figured it could be one of four varieties: Ispahan, Gloire de Guilan, Autumn Damask, or Summer Damask, but I am not sure which. A couple years ago we ordered an Ispahan from High Country Roses (would highly recommend) and a Madame Hardy, although it’s a European hybrid, not the kind my parents grew up with, it was so lovely we couldn’t pass it up. Ispahan seems like it could be the one, but the varieties all look very similar so I’m not sure. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a lovely weekend,

damask_rose_5 : )

P.S. – The username was un-intentional ; )

Ispahan

Madame Hardy

Comments (73)