SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dornanl

Help with Wall Decor in Dining Area

Linda Dornan
4 years ago

I am not sure if the blank wall behind my dining room set needs any decor or if the space is too busy and should be left empty. This would be the wall above the console table. It’s an open concept and there’s decor nearby. But I was thinking maybe an oval mirror, maybe black frame? Or a starburst mirror? I would appreciate help in finishing this space. Thank you!

Comments (87)

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

I personally like the map underneath the shelves. I say that because it helps balance out the length and weight of the shelves above. I actually think a little larger piece would work too... same concept as when you had the console under the shelves and it seemed off balance with the shelves above. I think adding the art helps with the balance... and I like that the art placement is a little unexpected.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

more important question... what do you think?

• Related Discussions

Can you help me decorate/accessorise dining area....PICS

Q

Comments (9)
    I think the stools need to be painted either the wall color or black. The white is too stark, as was mentioned. Or, pick an accent color that you want to use in window treatments in the DR area, and paint the stools in that color to make the whole space seem cohesive. I wouldn't probably do drapery panels. I would add painted casing around the windows to match the doorways, and make the window sill feel connected to something. Then I would likely do some kind of decorative fabric valances in a rich print that brings in the wall color, some of the brown/black of the furniture, and whatever accent color is a spark for you. A tall, full plant in the corner between the windows. Paint the inside of your niche in the accent color, too, and see if you can get a piece of granite that matches your counters to use as a bottom ledge for the niche. Your home is charming!
    ...See More

Need Help to Decorate This Condo/ Dining Area Space!!

Q

Comments (9)
    No rhyme or reason why the pillows are arranged the way they are except perhaps my nephews were trying to be helpful. :-). As I mentioned before, I just recently moved in and am aware that the furniture placement is not working - thus the reason for my post. This space is an odd configuration and I was hoping others may be able to provide some viable options that I could leverage. The dining table is actually sitting below the chandelier, which appears to be the designated dining spot.
    ...See More

Please help me decorate my living room and dining area

Q

Comments (19)
    When it comes to hanging art, keep in mind those Velcro Command Strips. I use them to hang almost everything and they don't damage the walls. They hold a surprising amount of weight. That metal scrollwork would probably take one nail, but most artwork, unless the frames are really heavy, can be hung with the command strips. I'm not so sure the metal piece is "farmhouse." Rustic, probably. When I think farmhouse, though, I don't think of that type of piece. I think you can do better, but if you really LOVE it, then go for it! I do like the upholstered ottoman but I like yayagal's coffee table suggestion even better! It will definitely help set the farmhouse tone you want.
    ...See More

Need help decorating our dining area

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks! I didnt even realize that the picture didnt upload! Thanks)
    ...See More
  • Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We downsized into this condo and brought along some of our favorites, like the globe. Since we have less space, it’s been a challenge to find the best spots for some pieces. The teapots are from my late mom and seeing them makes me happy, so that’s why they are on the fridge. ❤️ But I am open to playing with the pieces and finding the best places for my “treasures.”

• Jilly
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Aww. Love that (about the teapots). ❤️

Another thought — I think I’d wait until getting the art or mirror over the buffet, and decor on it ....then seeing what the entire area looks like. See if you need something under the shelves for balance, or if it looks more calm bare.

ETA: I hear you about downsizing! We did to this house we’re in now, and it was a challenge!

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do like the trunk and framed map under the shelves. I would not have thought to repurpose them in this way, so thank you again for your fresh set(s) of eyes and creative ideas. I’m going to live with this setup for a bit and decide my next step. In the meantime, I’ll work to edit the shelves. You all have been so helpful!

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

yeah!! keep us posted on how you edit and what you change and add... you have a lovely condo and love the look

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

is the globe just sitting on a table or is it all one piece? I ask because if it's just sitting on a table, perhaps move it to your dining table? the table could handle a larger piece... nice to understand the most important pieces to you so they have a place of prominence in your space

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

oh, by the way, I'm making some changes in our home today as well... moving stuff around for a new fresh look...

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

one more thought... perhaps move teapots from top of fridge to more prominent place so they are more noticeable as well, perhaps on mantle instead of the deer. move deer to be with others on your wood shelves... group smaller like items together for more of a presence instead of separating smaller like items. just a couple tips to think about as you rearrange...

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s the globe on the table - it’s bigger than it might have looked in the pictures and I’m not sure if the scale is right for the table. What do you think of this glass bowl for either the table or console?

• Jilly
    4 years ago

I like the bowl on either one, it’s very pretty. Can’t decide which I like better. :)

I think the globe works better where you originally had it.

It might be better to find your art or mirror for over the buffet before decorating the top ... it’ll give you an idea of scale and balance.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Ok, was just taking another look at your first pic on this thread ... depending on your art piece over, you could maybe have a lamp with some height on the left side and the orchid and two white vases as a grouping on the right. Blue bowl on dining table.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! I’m going to spend some time finding a piece for over the console. Then will follow advice to limit the pieces, but I like the idea of adding back in a select few ❤️

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

yeah, globe too big for table... shoot . i agree glass bowl works either place...very pretty.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

We may be approaching this the wrong way...maybe give some thought to accessorizing the contemporary furniture pieces to look more country casual? A runner on the table ...?...more throws and casual pillows on the seating....?...curtains?...the obvious challenge here is to make the vintage collections sit better in the contemporary setting....the collections are feeling too different from the rest....clutter and comfy go together...and some comfy to the furnishings...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Also the collections displayed in bunches with a little space between will eliminate the sort of antique store display feel that is sneaking in here...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Dont get anything else until you have all your things where they feel perfect....adding is not what you need now...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

The trunk does look good under the shelves but i am always leery of things that protrude into the traffic pattern below eye level...more picture angles may offer a better spot ...in a smaller space pinched traffic patterns accentuate the the size of a smaller space

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Whatever you decide on for the table will sit better on a mat or little rug or something to break up the sleek slippery surface of the modern table...creating a more comfortable setting for the vintage pieces

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Maybe even placemats?

• Jilly
    4 years ago

I don’t see these rooms as being put into two design boxes: country casual and contemporary.

In fact, I wouldn’t use the word contemporary. Her pieces that aren’t traditional or vintage have a modern look (as well as the colors used). It’s possible there are some blurred design lines, but that’s pretty much the definition of transitional. :)

I think the OP has done a great job of getting a cohesive transitional look with her variety of collections, and mixing in some modern, some casual, etc. I don’t agree that the pieces that have a more modern look (the buffet, for example), need to be made to look country.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve been working on paring down the shelves. Am I headed in the right direction?

• Jilly
    4 years ago

I like what you’ve done!

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

absolutely. looking great!!

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

for giggles, do you have another framed piece of art about the same size as your map, maybe a little smaller, to put on the middle shelf at the right end where the canoe is. lean it up against the wall and then put the canoe in front of it. then you will have another piece of art on the other end to help with balance.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just working with what I’ve got ... and making dinner. ❤️ Yes/no?

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

yes, but swap the tray with the plant and canoe on the other side

• eveuchan
    4 years ago

Why not put the map picture on the shelf. I wouldn’t hang it where it is now. Way too low. BTW. LOVE the globe!!!

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Yes! But I’ve always preferred just the trunk (or nothing at all). :)

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I switched the plant and canoe, which is now on the outside of the shelf. I didn’t like it “stacked” above the box below it. I am having fun! Thank you for your help!

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

looks great!!! still think another piece of art hung low would look great, unexpected. but, love it as is too. multiple options for it to look fab. live with it for a while and see how you like it.

• loobab
    4 years ago

I would keep the buffet where you had it originally and put either a mirror over it or artwork.

The other really important thing I would suggest you do is edit your collectibles on the buffet, on the three shelves and on the shelves to the right and left of the fireplace.

I would find some boxes and think of them as storage in a museum and remove everything and don't put back more than half and see how it looks and keep arranging and rearranging and switching things until you have a good combination that leaves a lot of open space.

And as odd as this may sound, you may even need to buy a few more things.

A lot of small things, as nice as they may be, just read as clutter.

You are better off purchasing a few larger things that can be easily seen from across the room.

If you have a collection of small things, (for example some people collect vintage cigarette lighters,) group several together and place on an occasional table.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello all! I hung artwork, bought a lamp and simplified the top of my console. Does this look better? I’m still working on the shelves and will post when done.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

That looks great! Love getting updates. :)

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jinx, thank you for your feedback and help!

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

how lovely... how do you like it, by the way...cant wait to see the shelves. I really like the lamp and vase with the console and art.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love it! I think it’s a fresh, clean look that doesn’t compete with the rest of the space.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another update! I finally got the artwork I ordered for my shelving wall. And I added some plants, as recommended. I still have to redo all the decor on the shelves flanking the fireplace. But it’s getting there!

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Oh, wow, Linda, it looks great! Love seeing updates!

I think the plants are perfect there.

I really like how unique and individual it is, very you and things you enjoy looking at. That’s the best kind of home decor. :)

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

yes, it looks great. thanks for the update and cant wait to see the shelves.by the fireplace.

• chabor
    3 years ago

Would you mind sharing where the credenza is from? BTW I like how your style mix works together. Smart, pretty, eclectic. I would have suggested a mirror, especially if it would reflect your light fixture or a window. I'm a fiend for light!

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you - I did consider a mirror, but got so many suggestions for artwork, so I went that way. The credenza is from Ethan Allen.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have restyled the shelves in my living room. I bought some larger pieces to add in. I have tried to edit down, but I think I didn’t go far enough. It’s just so hard! Some of these pieces were acquired through the years at vintage shops, estate sales, etc, and they “spark joy.” But I’m really trying to elevate the look a bit. I would appreciate your impartial but very helpful suggestions on how to improve the decor on these shelves. I just finished this morning but don’t think it really is just right. Thanks!

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

I think it looks great ...if you want to change something...the jars of shells could be clumped and touching...the pelican with a little more separated ...and the little chest on the bottom separated and not used like a bookend....the books pushed to the left (below the pelican)..the pot and bells clustered in the middle

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I need - guidance on how to make this breathe a little more!

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

the shelves look great, but I would on a couple of the shelves leave more blank space. seems like you have 3 groupings per shelf. I would suggest doing a couple shelves with one or two groupings. one shelf with one group in the middle of the shelf and the another shelf with 2 groups on either end and so the middle is empty, like a staggered effect. love what you have done

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Sort of the same theory...to thin it a little more ...i would just remove a few things if they are incidental and do not have real meaning to you or are sort of common pieces that are not unique or wonderful...BUT it is pretty good as is...you are talented for sure...personally i would not even like this kind of thing...while in your case i like it..because it seems sincere and meaningful

• c k
    3 years ago

Can someone please ID the white console? I really would love it for my kitchen, or something similar.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We love the console too! It’s from Ethan Allen.