SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_327408063

Plaster over chimney

HU-327408063
4 years ago

Hi,

Bought a house 3 months ago, built in 1954 and vacant for two years. Water damage on walls in various parts but the roof was new. I assume the old owner replaced the roof but didn't fix the damage as I observed and nothing got worse. All my plaster patches have held up except the area around the chimney (mainly where chimney wall meets the roof). The plaster over it never seemed to completely dry. Eventually it would discolor and bubble. I brought a roofer in to inspect: no hole around the solar panel legs, chimney flashing is caulked, no moisture in the attic. I peeled off the new plaster, drilled a small hole in the chimney brick, and observed while he ran a hose over the roof and chimney. No leak! I tried patching the hole again with gyprock 20 and same problem.

Any suggestions? Could it be condensation? I'm wondering if the warm air inside condenses on the cold brick behind the plaster. Then that moisture gets absorbed by the plaster. The rest of the chimney area is fine and looks covered with a cement stucco.

Comments (3)