SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_go

Kitchen Floorplan help - third time's a charm, I hope!

T Go TX
4 years ago

Hi,

I posted here about a year ago and got some great feedback, but a lot of it involved adding on to the house or swapping uses for rooms. After much debate, we think we are committed to keeping the kitchen in its current location.

About us:

We are a family of 5 that cooks at home for most meals and eats most meals at the dining room table.

The breakfast room is primarily used for homework/art projects by the kids. I find it to be handy to keep an eye on them (8/6/4) but difficult if someone needs help with a math problem as the breakfast room table is too far away from the sole cook (me). The kids help with cleanup and the two oldest make their own lunches for school.

We entertain informally a lot during the summer as we have a pool and so we serve up a lot of cookouts buffet-style on the counters.

Desired Improvements:

- more prep space - ideally between the sink and stove

- a spot for 1-2 people to sit and talk to me while I'm cooking without them being in the way.

- plenty of storage as we have no pantry - or find a way to incorporate more storage in the breakfast room

- slide-in range - get rid of the stand-alone ovens

Here are two ideas I came up with keeping the kitchen in its current location.

real kitchen · More Info

The major flaw with this plan is that the sink would be weirdly spaced half in front of the window. After talking to the contractor, it will be hard to get the sink any further down that run without jack-hammering the slab.

real kitchen · More Info

Clean-up sink could be added here because of the plumbing for the bathroom in the wall behind it.

Pictures of current kitchen:

real kitchen · More Info

real kitchen · More Info

real kitchen · More Info

The last time I posted, Rinq was kind of enough to do a mock-up of this side of the house:

real kitchen · More Info

Comments (14)