SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Noids 2019

With all we have learned with this hosta alphabet lets identify the ones we do not know:

Show us your Noids:

I knew it!!!

Remember this always

and

Thank you all. Everybody have a great day!!

Comments (60)

• old_dirt 6a
    4 years ago

Paula, you've been fantastic again. Thank you for another great year of the alphabet and all the funnies. I wish I could have contributed more but houzz was particularly difficult for me. Everyone's picture were great and many made my want list.

I do have a couple no ID's but I gave them my own names, SMQ NOT! a Little Blue and a Big Green...lol

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    4 years ago

old_dirt..you identified my NOID pic that wouldn't post..it's Big Green Lol..

• Related Discussions

Have: Noid Hosta and Noid Daylily

Q

Comments (0)
    SO far i have 2 different noid hosta. they are both green and cream/white. one is medium and one is small. good size clumps of both. One daylily is coral pink and one is a bright yellow spiderish. i have several fans of both. Looking for named hosta of maybe lilies! PLMK!Jennifer
    ...See More

NOID daylilies 2019

Q

Comments (35)
    Signet, I have Christmas Is in another part of the garden. This is not that one although similar. Reds are like yellow-so many thousands out there and so many look alikes. I am sure that invoice is somewhere because I bought this one about 6-7 years ago. It was not a newer expensive lily but when one visits a daylily garden, there are some that just scream at you across the garden. This was one such clump-people were racing across the garden to look at it. I remember hearing a speaker at a garden function years ago talk about his Daylilies. He said he spent thousands of dollars on the newest and fluffliest and rufflilied (his words!) daylilies and every garden visit the most oohed and ahhhhed over lily was the old Sallie Farley! Kate
    ...See More

Dear Karinblackcat

Q

Comments (33)
    liquidfeet..Houzz is horrible..I decided to see what I'd get if I searched for some alphabet posts..used peren's link..after a LOT of navigating I got 3 pages of old posts..I took some screenshots..I can't post links..I've tried..I can't explain everything that happened..somehow while trying to make this comment I'm typing blind..the keyboard covers what I'm typing..it was impossible..so I signed out and back in..3 times..I'm not tech savvy but Houzz gives me more headaches than any other site..2011 was before my time..I didn't know there was a summer alphabet then..I remember the author of the summer alphabet..I believe he's passed away..check the dates on the screenshots..there's some from the winter and some from the summer..just wanted to say I didn't locate the 2019 alphabet..
    ...See More

Hosta Brain Trust, please help this NOID find its identity!

Q

Comments (12)
    Not Dark Shadows unless it looks vastly different growing under the Oaks in NC. This is grown in mostly shade. Yours, also looks to be grown in much shade or I would think the margin would be more distinct. The glossy leaves make me think it is a fragrant. That would be telling and would lead me to Paradise Sunshine. Star-Kissed has subtle variegation, but mine is showing more contrast a month ago with a little direct sun but mostly house shade. Lakeside Symphony also has subtle variegation, but I think the whole leaf is generally lighter in color.
    ...See More
  • Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

BKay, it's all the same plant. The leaves are not big and are thicker than Sum And Subs. Thanks for guessing.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

Sorry I can't identify any of the NOID's. Love the bluebird Nicholsworth!

My NOID's are:

and

Both of these were removed from my father-in-law's property after he passed away. I have thought they could be Fortunei Hyacinthina. I remember the second one as being lighter in the early spring at my father-in-law's property and then becoming similar in coloring to the first one. At my place I don't have that one in much sunlight so both of them seem similar.

Paula, thank you so much for leading the hosta alphabet. You have been so kind and dedicated and helped bring joy to me and so many others! Your jokes were fantastic. You made me laugh out loud so many times! I shared the jokes with my son who also enjoyed them.

I hope good health continues for you. Good luck with the surgery and retirement!

It would be awesome if you would pop in once in a while and let us know how you are doing and whether you have acquired any new hosta.

Take care.

4 years ago

steve..sorry I don't know..

newhostalady..sorry I don't know..what a nice way to remember your father in law by growing his hosta..

Houzz let me post my NOID pic today..it's in the center surrounded by hellebores..it's smaller than I thought?..blue? with very narrow petioles..in shade on the north side..no bloom info..it never blooms..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Paula, you have had been such a trooper to keep the alphabet going! During this dreary time of year it really has given me a great deal of fun! Also, since I am awaiting surgery and my mobility has been limited, the ABCs really gave me a daily focus of fun. I pray everything goes well for you with your surgeries. :-)

Jan, I agree with sunnywood—I do think that noid is America Halo too.

Shadow, your NOID looks different in each picture

Nicholsworth, I love your Bluebird!! Could that NOID be Teaspoon?

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago

Djacob- I have a similar one as your last one . Mine was labeled Blue Angel.

Sorry , I have not a clue what it can be

UPDATE- Fragrant Blue.

Thanks Steve for ID

4 years ago

djacobz..I looked up Teaspoon..a good guess!..but my leaves aren't as cupped as the pic that I saw..but maybe..for yours..#1..don't know..#2..I feel like I've seen it..Stiletto?..Ginko Craig?..does peren have one like this?..#3..I think the big leaf in front looks like Blue Angel..#4..??..#5..I love the pastel color..I don't know it..
    the bluebirds are so adorable..we bought groceries yesterday..picked up some peanuts..things are crazy and I don't want to run out..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

Paula you are simply the best!!!

I wish I knew all of them but Shadow & newhostalady I feel like I should know yours.

nw that bluebird is adorable! I don't have one like djacobs 2nd pic but it has been driving me crazy and I am thinking.....

djacobs your 2nd pic could be Allan P. McConnel.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

Your guess of Allan P. McConnell for djacob's 2nd picture is an excellent one peren.all!

4 years ago

peren..I looked up Allan P. McConnell..I think it looks like djacobz's hosta..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Wow, Allen P. McConnell? Never heard of it..... was thinking of moving this or Trashing it because the slugs love. But if it’s APC I will keep. Blue Angel is a good. Guess because I have BA. I will have to check the flowers to be sure. Not sure this has flowered yet as it has only been in this location a couple of years. I thought I only had one BA but It’s possible I bought two or when I moved it some years ago, maybe I forgot and left a piece in the back which then was moved to side yard. Hmmmm. The first NOID, I am moving to less sun and will see what it looks like this summer. Shadow, our two do look similar, but they for sure aren’t BA. Thanks all! Oh, I have one more,

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago

DJacob- your last post.

Try Christmas Tree or Wide Brim

My Christmas Tree to compare yours to.

This is Wide Brim.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Shadow, I have a Wide Brim and I don’t think it’s that. WB has a very tall brach with a large flower cluster, you know this from your own plant. The NOID doesn’t have a flower like that from what I recall. I will have to make note this summer. I will have to make note of the flowers this summer. I will compare with Christmas Tree. Thanks a lot!!

4 years ago

djacobz and Shadow..could your similar NOID be Blue Cadet?..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

NW, I will check on Blue Cadet. Oh, I have a NOID from a friend.

Krossa Regal??

4 years ago

I also think it looks like Krossa Regal..ask if the scapes are tall..my KR has the tallest scapes of all of my hosta..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago

Sorry , Nicholsworth....it's not Blue cadet. The leaf is a bit bigger than BC and it's not a nice mount like BC

4 years ago

Shadow..I believe you Lol..I scrolled the blue post and Blue Cadet seemed the closest..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago

Thanks for trying.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

After much back and forth of pictures of my NOID and Blue Cadet Photos online, I agree it’s not BC. Thanks everyone for your help!

• StevePA6a
    4 years ago

djacobs and Shadow, I'm betting your blue noids are 'Fragrant Blue'. I've often seen them mislabeled at many different stores and garden centers, and yours have the right look for it.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

I will check that out Steve, thanks!

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago

OH my.....I think it is Steve. Fragrant Blue!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Steve, I think you are correct about Fragrant Blue. I looked at a lot of them online and it seems the leaf shape and color match, but also the flower seems exactly the same, the scapes and the emerging buds are sorta unique. Shadow, what do you think?

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

I'm glad I found this thread. Didn't see one for 2020 so here goes.

I bought five hostas from Lowes about 8-10 years ago and didn't keep the tags. I wonder if anyone here knows what they might be?

I'll post a bunch of pictures. This may take me several posts given the size of the files. Anyone know what this hosta is?

1. The leaves are dark green with light cream rims. They are slightly puckered, and thick in substance.

1. The underside of the leaves has a waxy layer.

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

3. These are large hostas, but not giants. Here's my line of them, and a second view next to Liberty to give you an idea of their size.

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

4. They bloom in July on tall STIFF scapes. Lavendar flowers, big in comparison to many hostas.

5. They are FERTILE. Lots of seed pods, lots of seedlings turning up everywhere.

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

6. The seedlings grow up to be dark green or occasionally blue. I have no idea who the daddies are. This blue one below is my favorite. Same stiff leaves, same stiff scapes, same big flowers, same fertility, but this baby has beautiful blue leaves.

I've got so many seedlings from these noids that I've started cutting off the scapes to keep the seeds from maturing. I feel guilty.

4 years ago

liquidfeet..I'm also not an ID whiz Lol..but I wanted to say what a beautiful garden..and what a lot of seed pods!..blues are my favorite..I'd take your blue one in a heartbeat..

4 years ago

liquidfeet I agree with nw, your garden is lovely.

#1 could be Fortunei Aureomarginata

#5 possibly Christmas Tree - I get blue and green seedlings from mine also.

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

After I posted all those pictures, I looked online once again to see if I could figure out what this cultivar is. I stumbled upon Fortunei Aureomarginata. It looks like it might be what I've got. But nowhere can I find anything about it setting seed.

Your comment about the seedlings, peren.all, confirms it's Fortunei Aureomarginata. Thanks!

We used to be able to go to hostasdirect.com for their info on cultivars, and Tom Carlson had seed viability as one of the characteristics he tracked. I'm so sad his business is gone (it may be temporary, but not sure) and his website with its information is down.

Oh wait. It's Christmas Tree that gives you seedlings, not Fortunei Aureomarginata. Those leaves don't match my plants. Does your Fortunei Aureomarginata give you seedlings?

4 years ago

Yes, FA also gives seedlings. During the Alphabet I made the comment that it was not reverting but showing seedlings around it.

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

Thanks for the info, peren.all.

Alphabet? Not sure what that refers to. I'm new to this forum. Since I'm stuck at home now, I'm looking for an active hosta forum. Does this one get active during the growing season?

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

How do I start a thread on this forum? I can't find a button to push for that. Can someone explain for me?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

at the top of any forum home page.. is a line to type a title in ... titled: start a discussion ..

no need to add more forums unless you want to ...

all winter.. we had the alphabet ... starting with A ... etc ... if you go down the pages.. im sure you can find them ... its done for us hardcore addicts in winter ...

welcome to the forums ...

if you are going for IDs ... just one or two per post ... else it gets to be too much up and down ... imo ...

ken

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

Ken_adrian, I found the window for new threads. Thanks!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Liquidfeet, you found the hosta forum right at the end of the ABCs as Ken was telling you About. We were doing “Not otherwise identified” NOIDs. A great way to get someone else’s opinion. I agree that your hostas look Like FAs to me too,, although there are far better IDers than me. When we aren’t doing the abc’s we post about all things hosta and include perenials, gardens and yards too. There are also forums for gardens, perennial, trees, lilies, and many other things. Welcome to the hosta forum and hope to see many more posts from you. :-)

Debra

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

Thanks, Debra, for the response. I now remember the ABCs last summer. Since I am not a hosta collector, so not interested in adding many different hostas to my collection, but a homeowner deeply involved in designing and maintaining my extensive garden, those ABCs were not as relevant to my interests as I had hoped. Is there a forum here directly devoted to designing, building and maintaining a home garden, especially one in the shade? It's all that shade that pushed me in the direction of hostas, so I've become quite the hosta lover ... but not a hosta collector ... rather more of a designer who uses hostas to make beauty.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Okay, liquidfeet, collecting hostas is not everyone’s thing. I went to search through all the forums. There is one -Gardening in shade- that may suit you well. Also, landscape design and perhaps Professional Gardens you may like. The way to find these many many forums is by searching all topics when you make a post. Create a post real or otherwise, you cancel before posting. when you go to ”next” Houzz will ask you which forums to post to. It may look like there are just a few, but keep scrolling down on the left and you will come to all topics. Keep scrolling until you find forums you are interested in. You can follow 3 but you can change them when you want. Now if it’s a fake post you were creating, then just back out of it. But the topics you chose to follow will be there in your top left corner on the page where you make your posts. Does that help? There are sooooo many forums. Good luck!!

Debra

4 years ago

liquidfeet the Gardening in Shade Forum is really slow as a general rule but the Perennials Forum is usually very active.

Here is a post from the Alphabet that you will probably enjoy Hosta Companions 2019

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

peren.all thank you! That Alphabet thread was just what I've been looking for. Perfect!.

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

djacobz, thanks. I'll try that. I really appreciate everyone's patience with me as I try to find a gardening forum home base. I'm stuck in my garden, can't invite people over, and just need to talk. Am looking forward to participating actively in garden discussions this summer.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    4 years ago

Liquidfeet, Although I am fluent in the English language - actually the only language I'm fluent in - I'm having trouble understanding these words, "...not a Hosta collector." Does that mean it's OK to have more than one of a cultivar? I myself have several cultivars that I have more than one of, but I am moving them and potting them up to make room for other new ones. OR does it just mean you have less than 400 varieties (like me). If so, I can totally relate to your post.

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

@steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio, I think of some gardeners as plant collectors. They purchase a plant because its individual characteristics please them. Their gardens are often filled with one-each plants, and if they are hosta lovers, they sometimes have things labelled so when walking by visitors can read the name of each cultivar.

Although I love hostas for their variety, and sometimes I've bought one for its uniqueness, I've more frequently acquired hostas because they fulfill a need for a particular spot in my garden.

For instance, if I need a large yellow hosta, I research large yellow hostas, and then buy enough of them to do the job in that spot in the garden. If I want something short and white for the front of an area, I do my research and get enough of that variety to do the job. This has worked well over time for me. For that reason, I don't have 400 varieties. I do have 400 hostas, though.

Yes, I have succombed to temptation and bought a hosta just because I love the plant. This necessitates finding a spot to plant it, and given how full my entire garden is now I no longer have the luxury of emptiness waiting to be filled. I'm more in maintenance mode, and fine-tuning mode. Oh, and musical chairs mode.

So I don't think of myself as a collector, but a designer -- one who has a shade garden and who loves hostas. I have used more "wave spacing" and "massed plantings" to design my garden than "specimen" plantings.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    4 years ago

Everyone is so nice and helpful in the Hosta forum. I am so glad to know all of you, virtually. :)

4 years ago

liquidfeet..I'm a lot like you..I have massed plantings..I want my lot to be beautiful..compared to most here I don't have a hosta collection..I have some unidentified hosta that came with my house and about 50 varieties that I planted..so maybe 60 varieties..but I have over 500 hosta..there are varieties that I want to add..I've wondered if the serious collectors here were ever annoyed by my participation as a minor collector..but everyone is kind..generous..and welcoming!!..I love seeing their collections and gardens..and we have fun!..I do LOVE hosta..my garden would be sad without them..we've been working 15 years planting trees and shrubs..creating perennial beds..installing stone edging..now that our bones are more in place I can concentrate on fine tuning my plants..some rearranging..I'm really looking forward to summer..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

nw, I have NEVER ever thought of you as a minor collector, nor been annoyed by anything you've ever posted. I have found you to be very helpful and kind!! :-D

4 years ago

djacobz..awww thank you!!..it's hard not to feel like a rookie here..everyone has so many varieties!!..hundreds and hundreds!!..special and unusual names that I've never heard of!..I've learned so much about hosta here..I appreciate your comment Debra :-)

Ann