SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosier_nan

Blooming today in the greenhouse

Rossen's Best Edge is blooming today in the greenhouse.

Comments (13)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Be still my beating heart. I LOVE pink daylilies with yellow edges, and this is one of the prettiest I've seen. I am familiar with the daylily and under the growing conditions that you offer, it has certainly lived up to the hybridizer's intention. I believe it's used in hybridizing just for that gorgeous edge. How does it open for you? Is it an early bloomer or can you tell because of the greenhouse effect?............Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Very pretty, Nancy!

Brad

• Julia WV (6b)
    4 years ago

Oh my. That is a beauty and that ruffled edge is stunning.

Julia

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

ok I am officially jealous ! What a pretty daylily . I would not have said I like a chicken fat edge but I am finding out I do . Thanks for showing that bloom

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Ooooo, so nice, and a bloom for us to see in March!

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maryl, Rossen's Best Edge blooms twice for us each year, once in the greenhouse and once outside (usually August). We have never noticed it hanging up, but we have so many daylilies, sometimes we can't remember which ones do or don't. We don't know about early morning opening. It is susceptible to rust (which we usually get every summer). We don't spray for rust so we don't know how it reacts to that.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Hoosier_nan , I am surprised that daylilies in your area are susceptible to rust !!!! ? I would have thought that being in a zone 5b/6a you would not have to worry about that .

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

At last I seem to be able to post, after changing my password 4 times. I was going to ask about your rust too, it does not overwinter for me. I would not really know what rust looks like except I used to trade a lot with more southernly traders. One in particular sent rust laden daylilies. Some did not survive, but several are still in my garden and rust free.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Signet, we wouldn't have rust if we didn't buy so many plants from those in the rust zone. The plants arrive looking fine, but once they aren't sprayed (because we don't even when we find rust), the rust begins to break out. We try to isolate the ones from the south, but our garden isn't big enough to keep the rust away from the others, so by fall, it has spread through the whole garden.

Of course the big worry is that we will take rust in the greenhouse and it will overwinter there. Bob leaves the potted ones out until a hard freeze before he moves them in. So far we have never had rust in the greenhouse.

Rust was one reason we quit starting seedlings in the fall. We used to plant some in the fall (thinking that would give them a head start) and then overwinter them in the greenhouse.

Now that we are a state inspected garden, we need to be more careful about the rust. If we have rust, we can't ship even though the USDA now considers rust just a nuisance, not a serious disease. Our inspector was more concerned about Japanese beetles, not the rust. He had never seen rust in person and was delighted to see it.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

"He had never seen rust in person and was delighted to see it. " Really ? OMG ! Delighted ? Wow!

I just find it so odd that the rust survives the winter in your gardens I have no idea how one would isolate an infected imported /southern plant other than to not buy them .

Original Author
    4 years ago

Rust doesn't survive the winter in our garden, thank God for that. We are rust free now, but we just keep reinfecting our plants every year because of the southern plants we buy.

We try to buy only northern grown plants, but that is rather difficult. Some of the ones we want for hybridization are from the south. Some sellers offer good prices. There is one seller in Florida on the lily auction that sells new stuff at better prices than Jamie Gossard and Tom Polston, for example. I love to buy from those guys, but their prices are high and I can afford many more plants if I wait a couple of years and buy on the secondary market.

Also, buying from Jamie, who is in Ohio, (and maybe many others) does not guarantee you won't get rust. Now that Jamie collaborates with Kinnebrew in Florida, there is always the possibility that he has grown the plants you buy in Florida to get the quick increase the climate allows.

We will be trying something new this year. We will be spraying the southern-purchased plants (those that we pot and are in isolation) in hopes of keeping the rust from breaking out. If the plant isn't making spores, it won't be spreading to the other plants. We tried it late last season and it seemed reasonably successful.

• organic_kitten
    4 years ago

Lovely bloom.

kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I had rust one year and I hope never to have it again. I'm pretty careful about who I buy from, but as one grumpy seller told me this year when I asked if he had it: "everybody has rust. Those that say they don't are liars." So far he's been wrong as I've managed to avoid it for many years, but his words still echo in my ears this year especially as we have had a mild winter and you just never know........I hope your new spray schedule works for you Nan. After seeing it in person all over my plants, it is most unattractive. Unlike modern roses with blackspot which continue to show off with their blooms, daylilies are just foliage most of the season and when that foliage is pocked with orange spots it sure detracts from it's overall appearance imo......Maryl

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville