SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_mcadams36

Help...travertine! Any paint ideas?

Hello! I am determining if I should go with a cream neutral or a silver blue, or some other color. Anyone else have any ideas or have you found a good color for these types of tiles/countertops? Thank you for any help!!!!

Comments (28)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The room has more than its share of hard, shiny surfaces. I would not add one more plain, textureless, light toned anything. This is. vinyl faux grass cloth from the Phillip Jeffries collection.

If you can’t replace the vanity lights now, turn them the other way, so the light is coming down.

Shades of Light

• Scott and McAdams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh Judy...THANK YOU! I do like this idea!!!!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Judy is spot on. One more mention the wall sconce.....if you cant update the entire thing now do some blue or off white straight sided shades on it.

Scott and McAdams thanked Design Interior South
  • lindentree27
    4 years ago

Ohh! I like Judy’s idea. With the grass cloth the bathroom would feel like a fancy hotel.

Scott and McAdams thanked lindentree27
  • Scott and McAdams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow, I have never used this tool before and I am so grateful for all of your advice. I love all the ideas!

Beth...what linen color were you thinking? The natural linen color on the paint strip? Or the "creamy" color?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would go even lighter.

Scott and McAdams thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Light and gold ideas.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

The majority of your room is that granite, not travertine. looks like Giallo Ornamental.

Your countertop actually looks like a Taj Majal or some other creamy type of quartzite. I don't see any obvious travertine. Who told you that it's travertine?

scott, grab some samples of both, plus some others that were mentioned. you'll have to try them out on your wall to see what looks best. Please get some good primer and prime over that dark color first. (do not use the paint and primer in one) As a plus, you can get your primer tinted to any color you like! So, get it tinted to creamy white or linen color. you'll get an idea of what it looks like while covering the saturated color that it currently is.

your doors are too stark white. I'd paint those to match your cabinets, or paint them the same color that you do the walls.

I also like the idea of black, gold and a creamy white. I'd replace the silver shelving w/natural wood (maybe walnut) w/gold brackets.

bring in a black (or if you like, the navy) throw rug. some creamy vases on the counter w/trays, maybe a new vanity stool (not this one,,just showing your how they staged the counter

you could also do a wood tray (you have all that counter space) w/items like shown here.

look at the light colored wall w/the black and white picture in a gold frame. bring in art like that to go w/your granite and stone countertop.

get a tall vase like shown in the other pic, or maybe an orchid to also add on the counter.

here's how a walnut would look if you made something like this and put in on the back wall behind the tub.

remove that sconce on the side and replace w/something else.

or just replace the sconce if you like

this picture just shows you how the walnut and gold looks together. I think it's a nice match w/your stone tile.

I like the idea of new lighting (you need something that points downward) and hardware. Flo gave you some nice choices. The gold would be a nice contrast w/your stone and your blue accents. even a darker bronze would look nice. (or the bronze and the gold mix)

venetian bronze^

mix^

But since you have nickel on the glass doors, i'm not sure if you're willing to change out everything.

Possini (lamps plus) see how they point down?

this 4 light below is on sale and can be installed w/them facing downward

Love this one w/the seeded glass:

this 4 light one is on sale ($123 for the 4 light!) and can be installed w/them facing downward

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/kichler-winslow-30-inch-wide-brushed-nickel-4-light-bath-light__44a96.html

Scott and McAdams thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    4 years ago

If you decide to paint, a green/blue/gray always works with this color palette (sand and sea). No neutrals...they always clash unless it's really dark. You could also consider a warm, almost black.

Scott and McAdams thanked Color Zen
  • User
    4 years ago

I had a very similar scheme in my bathroom, with travertine floors. here's how the room looked going from bright orangey peach to white (it looks goldenrod in this photo but it was really bold peach IRL). the white was matched to the sink, but I made sure it had just a drop of creamy undertone so it wouldn't look too stark against the floors. I also replaced the bulbs with GE reveal LEDs. they have the slightest pink/violet undertone, which toned down the yellowy nature of the granite and travertine. (kind of like how purple shampoo tones down brassy haircolor.)

unfortunately, below is a pro photo vs. my iphone, and you can't see the floor here. but let's just say getting rid of the peach and updating the accessories was a MAJOR improvement.

Scott and McAdams thanked User
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

Maybe a quick coat of white primer will make it easier to see exactly what you are working with

Scott and McAdams thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Some options for paint colors

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Don't use gray with travertine. Stick with warm whites/ivory or very subtle greens. I wouldn't add any more texture to the room. Keep the walls simple and light.

Scott and McAdams thanked calidesign
  • Scott and McAdams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth H., thank you for adding your ideas back in!!!! :)

• Scott and McAdams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Went with Sherwin Williams Creamy and really like the clean feel! I flipped the lights over the sinks...who would have thought of that, but it did make a difference. Thank you!

I'm still stumped on what to do with walls, especially around the bathtub. I looked at wooden shelves, but at the longer lengths, they are very pricey, which I was surprised about. May have to bite the bullet and get them :) I love earthy, spa, coastal feel.

Any ideas?

• User
    4 years ago

I love making my bathroom as nice as possible. we kind of spend a lot of time in there! I say, go for the expensive shelves. you'll be looking at them every day!

or... maybe people can help you find something more affordable. what's the brand/style of shelves you were looking at? what length?

• Scott and McAdams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi BF...agreed.

This kind of shelving...maybe two of them. They would have to be kinda large though...like 2 -3 feet and one of them deeper to hold rolled up towels. At least that's what I'm thinking!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

that made a big diff. try painting your doors in that creamy color too.

now just bring in the accessories to give the room a little life

I like your shelving pick.

(if you can work a saw, you could always get some type of wood like walnut or hickory and frame out those mirrors. super easy)

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The wall color is a big improvement. I would not add shelves near the tub. Put a towel rack on the closer sider that you can reach, and a large piece of art on the back wall. Shelves will just get dusty, and be too shallow for anything useful. Plus, the art will add some color and interest.

• User
    4 years ago

if those west elm ones are out of your budget (psst...they're on sale right now), then you might need to slightly change the design. these shelves with pretty brackets are much more budget friendly.

or you might need to forego putting towels on them and settle for a set of smaller shelves that have pretty decorative items, like these. (and put the towels in a closet.)

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Perhaps an accent color around the tub and on the ceilings..a pale but crisp aqua ?..green?...yellow?...(i like the aqua as it represents water and beachy skies).....with matching towels and rugs...will bring a little color into the very understated look as is.....art will look prettier on the colored walls over the tub as well..

• homechef59
    4 years ago

I went with SW Creamy 7012 in my travertine bath. It plays very nicely.

Here is a thought. I painted my old oil rubbed bronze sconces with a brushed nickel spray paint. These lights don't get wet and are rarely touched. Now, they coordinate with my other brushed nickel finishes. I did not paint the vanities. I may still do that. I like the look of yours.

• Scott and McAdams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Your bathroom looks beautiful! What did you put on the walls in terms of accessories? :)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I like the idea of the towel bar on the closer wall and a big oil or acrylic painting on the other wall

• homechef59
    4 years ago

Scott and McAdams,

I didn't put anything on any walls. But, my bathroom really doesn't have anywhere for accessories to go. Every wall is filled with paneling, doors or mirrors. Not a lot of opportunity.

You can just barely see in the last picture, but there is a space above the linen closet where an old school tv was placed. I ended up putting a nine-candle black wrought iron sconce arrangement with large cream candles. I already owned, it fit and I needed to find a place for it anyway. Flo Mangam, the designer decorator, says that every room needs a touch of black. The candle arrangement was the black contribution.