SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anja_pozni_

Should I give up on my Calathea Crocata?

Anja Poznič
4 years ago

I bought my first Calathea in the summer, and since then it has been slowly withering away.

I probably messed up in many ways (I'm sure my cats nibbling on it at the beginning didn't help), but lately I assumed it could as well be my tap water problem, which is very hard. I was watering it with tap water (that I let sit for 24 hrs). Rain water can be a problem to come by due to drought, would it be preferable to water it with distilled or bottled water, water that has previously been boiled?

It looks almost pathetic now, but what gives me hope is it continues sprouting new leaves, they grow until they are a couple cm tall, then they start to brown and die.

I water it when the top of the soil is dry(ish), but never let it completely dry out, during winter approximately once every 2 weeks, mist it occasionally. I had it in the bathroom during winter to help with moisture levels, on south facing window, about 2m away. It received a bit of direct sunlight, but the winter sun isn't so strong here. I tried putting it further away before and the leaves started to brown even quicker.
Should I cut the dead stems away? Should I try repotting it into a smaller container, since this one is now way too big for what is left of it?

I almost gave up on it, but it gives me no satisfaction to buy a new one without knowing what I did wrong with this one.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Comments (4)