SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anla26

David Austin's 'Janet'

Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

A few years ago I saw a picture posted by bethnorcal9 (I miss her and her extensive rose collection! I am so sad that she lost her garden in the wildfires) of an Austin rose I'd never seen before called 'Janet'. It was one of those pictures that was so beautiful, I just couldn't forget it. I decided to order it just so I could see the bloom in person.

I have had 'Janet' in the ground for two years...this summer will be its third season. I have been absolutely blown away by the size, beauty, fragrance, and floriferousness of this rose. The only reason I can see that it's not a popular one is the bush is the epitome of an octopus: it puts out large canes that immediately bend over with the weight of the huge flowers.

For me, it's worth some creative tying and training to have these flowers. I think they may be the most beautiful ones in my entire garden. It puts out flush after flush of these beauties!

I WISH I had taken a full bush shot, but I didn't last summer. It kind of reminds me of 'Evelyn' in its growth habit. I decided to place a small teepee over it so I could tie the canes around it or to it as the season progresses. I still haven't figured the training and pruning part out yet. I will post more pictures this summer with bush shots.

Has anyone else grown this rose? I would love to hear about it if you have!

Comments (12)