SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Tattoos anyone?

Annie Deighnaugh
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I know a lot of ladies here are my contemporaries, so I'd love to get some input...which I assume might be different from that of a younger generation.

I had surgery to remove a tumor from my lower leg which is going to leave a scar in a great location for a tattoo. My cousin is an *extremely* talented tattoo artist...no exaggeration...so I have an artist. What I don't have is a design or a sense whether this is stupid, dangerous, or a great idea. I also know he does quite a bit of cover work for people who have bad tattoos and want them enhanced to something more attractive.

Do you have a tattoo(s)? If so, how did you decide what to get? Were you in the "I'd never get one" camp and then change your mind? Did you design it or did the artist? Are you still happy with it? Do you regret it? If you chose a design today, would you pick the same one? Or are you in the "never" camp firmly and think a tattoo would be worse to look at than a scar...

I've got time to decide as I'd want my scar to heal for at least a year before I did anything...but I'm still mulling it over.

Comments (139)

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

One hesitation I have about larger, intricate tattoos is: to appreciate the details, you have to (more or less) stare and I was taught it's impolite to stare at people.

People with larger tatt's-- do you mind if people stare or look closely at your ink? do you mind if strangers ask questions about them? What do you say or do if you feel like being left alone and someone is curious...?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked nickel_kg
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Some of these responses are so predictably funny! That some people who don't have ink have such a strong reaction to something that obviously doesn't even interest them strikes me as odd. Since so many here have stated their opinions openly, I will too: I think that the knee-jerk response that tattoos are ugly or dirty or speak of poor judgment and bad character so GREATLY misses the mark, and makes one appear priggish, prudish, uptight and willfully prejudiced. Hey, just my $.02, since y'all gave yours.

Tattoos are just another art form, and one that has an ancient and fascinating history. It is a shame when people refuse to separate their erroneous biases from reality about other people and how they may choose to express themselves, but it goes without saying that all are entitled to an opinion, even if the opinion is based on mere assumption about human character. Tattoos CAN reveal a few things about people, even the people who don't have any and never would. It's interesting to me that permanent ink on the skin can generate so much emotion on both sides. Because I have chosen to decorate my body in this way, I sometimes do still on very rare occasion feel a desire to defend my choice in the face of what I perceive to be a (thankfully, fading) bias. But then I stop and consider that anyone who would summarily dismiss me because there are designs on my skin is not a person I would want to know in the first place, and I generally go on my merry way.

In the world of art and music, inked skin is so common as to be the norm, and personally, those are the folks I generally gravitate towards. I love the creative spirit that bubbles over in many evident ways. And in that group, acceptance flows freely and nobody has to explain or defend or convince, because we all just KNOW why we do what we do.

Annie, I think you got some great input here, and hey, you do you!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked IdaClaire
  • Related Discussions

Crazy Idea

Q

Comments (24)
    First off when it comes to tattoos, you need to think about the design for an extended period of time before you make a final decision. I waited four years to decide on my first tattoos and I still love them now although my taste in tattoos has changed a lot since. Make the design personal, something that you have a deep interest in if possible. Tattooing has changed a lot in the past ten years and some artists can do amazing things. The days of strictly outlined tattoos are gone and almost anything is possible with the right artist. As for the tattoo vs old age thing don't sweat it. You can not stop ageing no matter how hard you try so don't let it stop you from doing something you want to do. I think the best approach would be to pick an area that will be least effected by ageing and go from there. Discuss ink colours with the artist as well because many colours do not take as well as others and some fade easily especially when exposed to UV radiation from the sun. Before you choose an artist go to different shops and look at their portfolios, all good tattoo artists will have one. Different artists have different tastes and specialties keep that in mind when deciding whom to go with. With the Internet you can also search for artists in your area and travel to have a special artist do the work. Check out this site because it is the best resource for body modification on the Internet. Take a look at the tattoo galleries and definitely read the experiences forums and the encyclopedia sections. Here is a link that might be useful: BME
    ...See More

Hosta Tattoo

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Stephanie - I live in Crystal Lake and have been corresponding with hostared for a couple of years (we met here!). She kept telling me about Sunrise (Woldhuis) Nursery in Grant Park so finally last year ('08) I met her there. I thought I had found a good place here near Harvard, but when I got to Sunrise I LITERALLY WENT NUTS. I bought about 25 that day. The prices were at least half of anywhere else - some were a fraction. There were more hostas in one place than I have ever seen and this was the end of July. And they were, of course, bigger than even mail order and much more beautiful because they were in pots. I'm going to go next week or the week after (I'm waiting for hostared to get a day off work because I want to meet her there)...but I called 'Jean' (the Hosta Queen) who works at Sunrise (at hostared's suggestion) this Wednesday and she said she has just replenished her supply. She is so knowledgeable about them and you can even call and ask her if she has what you want. It takes me an hour and a half to get there but it's SOOOOO worth it. They have everything.....the Japanese Maples were also a fraction of anywhere else and the annuals were amazing. GO. Westy PS If you want to email me directly with any questions, please feel free: cdwestg@att.net
    ...See More

Tattoo? (don't bother reading this, Ken)

Q

Comments (18)
    YOUCH- that last photo almost hurts to look at! That is one "FRESH" tattoo! ;-) I do agree- 'Tattoo' at it's best is a lovely and desirable hosta worthy of a revitalization program. I was given my 'Tatoo' hosta from a friend who was tired of watching it under perform for several years. It stayed a one eye for him for several years. I have been successful at getting a few more eyes out of it every year by partially lifting and nicking the white bit between the leaves and the roots in the hotter/drier parts of summer. Although the root mass has not spread much. It still remains a single clump which is too difficult to divide. I put it in a sunny bed- I have all too well draining sandy loam- and it stays pretty dry all year long as I do not water much at all. My 'Cherry Berry' and "Raleigh's Rememberance' and a few others do seem to thrive in the hotter, sunnier, drier beds. I guess some of these hosta just do a bit better when they have to work at living just a little harder. So- I would guess a good dose of neglect in not too rich of a soil, in some part HOT sun bed, may just do the trick for your 'Tatoo'. Best of luck! Julie
    ...See More

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Q

Comments (18)
    casey nfld, If you're not hooked in the first 100 pages then I'd say move on to another book. I used to be the type that had to finish a book once I started it. But with age sometimes comes wisdom, or maybe less patience, so now if it's not speaking to me I move on to the next book on my pile. Life is too short to waste it on books that don't interest you. colleenoz, Thanks for the heads-up, I think I'll just skip the movie. I'm sure someone is already planning a US version of the story. They'll probably change the story so much, except the sex parts!, that it won't be recognizable. I'll also be skipping that movie.
    ...See More
  • OllieJane
    4 years ago

Thank God, my DH had strong enough sense to keep us from getting one, after me begging him for us to get one together, during one drunken night on Beale Street in my early thirties. LOL

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OllieJane
  • marilyn_c
    4 years ago

I don't have any tattoos. Not afraid of needles...just not my thing. Seems like more women have them now, than not. I have seen some very interesting ones. Saw a young woman who had seams tattooed down her legs, so it looked like she was wearing stockings. Another one that caught my attention was a girl who had characters from Alice in Wonderland tattooed on her arms. The way I look at it, it is your body, tattoo it if you want to.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked marilyn_c
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've talked to strangers about their tats, and it's always amazing what a conversation starter it is. Most of them have meaning and people love discussing them, and appreciate the interest. I guess it's sort of like anything...decorating your house...cooking a great meal... and you love to talk to people about the thought that went into it and are glad when people appreciate it.

• User
    4 years ago

I would not place a tattoo over the scar tissue of an excised tumor. The ink might mask a recurrence / skin changes just long enough to affect your health. If you want a tattoo, by all means get one, but not at that spot.

Tattoos do evoke strong emotions among the wills and will nots. I haven’t ever done anything to change or improve my appearance that causes pain except having my ears pierced. No surgery, no fillers, no tats. The ear piercings when I was 21 were painful enough that I wondered why I did it and I resolved Never Again. My plan is to age gracefully and intact!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

Tattoos are not my thing. I realize other people have a right to have whatever they want on their body. Something that has caught my attention, but isn't necessarily true of everyone is that the people who have them are often nursing a 'hurt'. I guess I have started identifying them as a sort of a 'mask' for something else in their life.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Adella Bedella
  • Bunny
    4 years ago

I would not place a tattoo over the scar tissue of an excised tumor. The ink might mask a recurrence / skin changes just long enough to affect your health. If you want a tattoo, by all means get one, but not at that spot.

I agree with Kswl on this. Even though they "got it all" when they removed my melanoma, they checked it twice a year for five years. I just recently got the 5-Year-Okay. So maybe get one (or not) somewhere else, and then later on the scar tissue if you still want to.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bunny
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My tumor was not something I have to worry about recurrence or anything like that, and it was inside my leg, not on the skin, so I have no problem covering the scar. It was a schwannoma.

As far as changes in our bodies, I think we suffer those anyway. For instance, I'm getting more and more cherry angiomas...Mom had quite a few too as she got older....let alone crepe-y skin everywhere. So if I can take something negative and turn it into something I'd want to look at for a long time, I think it would be worth it. But I'd want color. I don't like black. Well, what it is is I don't like gray which so many fade to.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

You really cannot assume you know something about the inner workings of a person based upon their outward presentation. I have done this so many times in my life, and more often than not have been so very wrong.

I recently judged a middle-aged man based on his look and his speech and mannerisms, and sized him up as being a staunch "base" supporter of a certain political ideology that has popularized red caps. I was so taken aback to later learn that he actively campaigned for a very popular progressive candidate in my state, and once I knew that, I realized I had allowed my own lens to grossly distort reality.

We all know that apppearances "speak", but so often we misinterpret what we think we "hear." Just something I think we all need to keep in mind.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My cousin...wife of the tattoo artist...had him tattoo an acorn on one ear and an oak leaf on the other....these are on the inside of the upper cartilage. They actually look nice, and I don't think she was covering or masking some hurt...but she always admired oak trees for their strength and relates to them.

• sheesh
    4 years ago

As often as we change decor and paint colors around here, I don't understand the need to permanently change one's body. My home is filled with meaningful objects that many here would trade for quick decor pick-me-ups, yet permanent ink on one's skin is somehow meaningful.

To me, all tattoos look very much alike, not very different one from another. I understand meaningful is an individual thing, but permanently altering one's skin is just very odd to me, especially on a board that thrives on constant change.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked sheesh
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Hmmm. We don't all thrive on constant change. I've had the same art on my walls for decades and I can't imagine ever NOT living with it. I know very well what I like and it's very taste specific. Maybe that makes me the ideal candidate for body modification. :)

• OllieJane
    4 years ago

If I had gotten a tattoo that "drunken night on Beale Street" (OK, that's the last time I will say it, ya'll will probably think of me that way forever now) it would have been the Ralph Lauren's "Polo" symbol. To this day, for some reason, I have always loved and had such admiration for Ralph Lauren.

• sheesh
    4 years ago

Ok, Ida. I must have you confused with someone else ;-)

Annie Deighnaugh thanked sheesh
  • lucillle
    4 years ago

Tattoos are for sailors like Popeye

In the old days I suppose Popeye did typify sailors, but now a sailor can be anyone, young women are joining the Navy. I suppose those who have typecast the world may have thought earrings were for Olive Oyl only, but that typecast has gone by the wayside also.

I think it takes strength of character to admire each person for who they are, and not just pigeonhole everyone so that they fit in to a concept of what you think the world 'ought' to be and to further expect that they will fit your pigeonhole.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lucillle
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

...all tattoos look very much alike...

I find them all so very different and personalized. My cousin has done portraits of people and animals, celtic knots. He did a number of tats on a woman who is a botanist, a long vine wrapping her midriff as well as others. She insisted that the plants be botanically correct. He's done surreal images, and lacy things and one guy's grandfather's pocket watch. Another creepy one of a spider, so 3D that it looks like it's crawling on the person's arm. One woman had a double mastectomy and he tattooed a lace bra on her so she no longer sees her devastating scars. His wife has a long stemmed blue iris on her shoulder that he did, and her son, also a tattooist, did a barn swallow inside each of her forearms. They are colorful and pretty...not the stereotypical heart with the "mother" sash.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

I have my eyebrows micro-bladed to fill them in on the ends. Over plucking and thyroid issue had made the ends disappear. It's not as permanent as a tattoo but uses a similar method. I had Brook Shield's type eyebrows and I wish I had just left them alone instead of going all Gwen Stefani in the 90's.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Ok, Ida. I must have you confused with someone else ;-)

Maybe. Or maybe this just highlights the fact that we only see a small snapshot of lives here, and by no means do we really KNOW one another, despite years of online interaction.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Tattoos are for sailors like Popeye

Or “Tattooed Girl” Alive!! in freak shows at the carnival?

Thankfully, my parents taught me never to look down on the people who worked carnivals. But it was a thing, sadly, not that long ago.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked maddielee
  • amicus
    4 years ago

Although I love admiring other people's tattoos, (since I have none myself) I do have just one prejudice that I admit is nit-picky and biased, but it is what it is. That is, that while I can appreciate tattoos everywhere else, I dislike seeing tattoos on anyone's neck. For me, the neck is just one small area that needs to be ink free, because it is the space that frames the face. Because faces are the most interesting part of one's body, to me, I just need nothing artistically distracting, sitting just below the face. I'd probably have a tendency to gaze at the design on their neck, when I should be making eye contact while speaking with them. So to me, the neck serves as a small 'palate cleanser' space, to transition between admiring someone's art, and connecting with their eyes and facial expressions, IYKWIM.

I guess I would liken neck tattoos as akin to buying a beautiful painting, but putting it in such an intricate frame, that the eye is distracted from the painting itself. That's the one thing I've never liked about museum quality classic European paintings. They are often in such heavily sculpted gilt frames, (like Baroque style) that it feels like the 'package' is trying to outdo the gift itself. Now I could spend a day admiring extremely beautifully crafted antique frames, but I think they should be their own genre of artistry, and not combined with a beautiful painting, as my eyes end up darting from frame to painting, and I don't appreciate either, as much as I'd like.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked amicus
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I realize tattoos can be conversation starters, but I'm an introvert! sometimes I just wanna squint to make out what the design is, lol! (but usually don't because I don't want to offend).

• dedtired
    4 years ago

My uncle was in the Navy most of his life. He had a tattoo on his leg of a naked lady. When he jiggled his kneecap, her boobs would go up and down. That was my earliest experience with tattoos and maybe why I am not fond of them now. When I see someone with loads of tattoos I can’t tell where one ends and the next one begins. But if someone wants one, or many, and sees them as art or an expression of something dear to them, then fine, go for it and don’t worry about the opinions of others.

i would be interested to know the etiquette around tattoos. Is it rude to ask about them? I was admiring some on a fellow at the optician and he didn’t mind my looking at them on his arms, but to be honest I couldn’t tell what they were and yes, I was wearing my glasses!

Ida, would love to see a pic of yours if you’re so inclined.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    4 years ago

Sueb20, thanks for your comment. It now has me wanting to get a "bracelet" tattoo of violets. I love that idea. My birthday is in the spring and I love violets. I think for me it's easy to make a decision to get a second tattoo as I am single and I don't have anyone else's opinion to consider. I love that freedom it affords me.

IdaClaire, I love your outlook on life and I suspect you are very happy with your life. I try to be at all times. While my bluebird tattoo does have meaning to me (I belonged to a group of women friends and this was our nickname), I just like the art of tattooing and it can be very beautiful.

It's funny to me to hear about personal biases against it because I wasn't sure how mine would be received by my mom because when I got my ears pierced at 16, she was a little upset because in her day (she was 40 when she had me) pierced ears were mainly seen on people of a certain culture. Funnily enough, she came around to love mine and even got her own ears pierced when she was in her 80's. As for my tattoo, she loved it the minute she saw it. In my immediate family, the only one who had a tattoo when I was growing up was an older cousin who got an anchor tattoo when he was in the navy. I liked it.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Another consequence of ugly tattoos that hasn't been mentioned:

For many people, their working years involve meeting and spending time in encounters with "strangers". Meaning, people other than daily work colleagues or family. Oftentimes being able to do so consistently well enhances earnings.

Whether tattooed people want to admit it or not, there's a substantial portion of our society who find tattoos unsightly and off-putting. For the customer or representative, starting off an encounter with a surprise about how the other person looks - whether it's a tattoo or other item affecting appearance - the experience may be negatively colored. It's why many employers have dress codes.

I had a funny experience about 6 months ago. Needing a plumber, I turned to Yelp and found one I thought would fill the bill - a one man contractor with many positive comments. I called and made an appointment. It turned out his "office coverage" was his mother, filling a role she'd done for decades for her now-deceased husband who started the business. At the end of the conversation, she said something to the effect of "My son is an excellent plumber. My husband trained him for many years but he's gone well beyond that. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with him. I want to alert you that he has a lot of tattoos. Most of them date to when he was younger. Don't be startled, he's a responsible nice guy and he'll do a good job for you". She was right all all scores, the guy was terrific. I was glad she alerted me, his tattoos made a horrible first impression.

• Annie Deighnaugh thanked arcy_gw
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that the prospect of tattoo removal wouldn't deter anyone in this forum from getting one at this point in their lives. The decision would be more thoughtful and purposeful (rather than a Beale St. inspiration!). I can't imagine that Annie, for example, would put this much thought into getting one, and then regret it 10 years from now.

Plus, tattoos are becoming ubiquitous and more socially acceptable. Among women I know, they seem to be a popular way of marking life milestones. This extends to the workplace, too. Not long ago, I knew nursing students who had to cover up their tattoos on the job. Today, my local hospital has no restrictions on any of its employees. showing their tattoos. My sister went to the trouble of having a visible one removed prior to a job search about 10 years ago. Today, she said, it wouldn't matter anymore in her field if she had one.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Feathers11
  • suero
    4 years ago

Annie Deighnaugh thanked suero
  • Yayagal
    4 years ago

Being an artist I have no complaints about what anyone puts on their body, to me it is art. If I were to have one, I'd want a lovely multi-toned lilac bouquet. Its beauty would make me happy.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Yayagal
  • jupidupi
    4 years ago

I just think that skin, in its natural state, is gorgeous, including the scars and wrinkles. I love the subtle shading and flow as it envelops different parts of the body, lightens in the palms, crooks of arms and behind the knees. Even the greatest painters in history could never completely capture the exquisite coloration of skin. I feel that skin itself, in all of its shades, is more beautiful than anything you could put on it.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked jupidupi
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yayagal, I love lilacs too! But my favorite flowers are orchids...

• OllieJane
    4 years ago

Feathers, Oh it still matters!

Especially more for women. Whether that's right or wrong, it does.

eta: judidupi, beautifully said.

• Moxie
    4 years ago

No way, no how, never! Too many shots when I was a child and too many problematic blood draws all my life. I don't do well with needles. I get queasy even thinking about them.

Oddly enough, I can give subcutaneous fluids to renal kitties because it's a lifesaving measure. I defer falling apart until afterwards.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Moxie
  • dedtired
    4 years ago

Suero, I’m getting such a laugh out of that video. Maybe I’ll have The Wreck of The Hesperus in its entirety tattooed on my back.

Anybody up for a face tattoo? How about a teardrop?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked dedtired
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

Olliesmom, I wasn't making a blanket statement, but rather referring to my sister's field. That's what I meant by "in her field." ;-)

• chipotle
    4 years ago

Elmer?

There's art and there's fine art. I rarely see a tattoo that would fall into the latter category.

• Caroline Hamilton
    4 years ago

In my mid 40's and have many friends with tattoos and my husband has one also (from before we met). Some (like my husband) regret them, some don't, and some keep getting more. My personal preference is similar to one of the posters above. I think the human body / skin is beautiful as is and I don't like tattoos because they cover it up. I don't even like the henna that middle eastern brides put on their hands and feet before their wedding. I just don't see the beauty in any of it. Just my personal preference - beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • share_oh
    4 years ago

Not a fan, will never be. Worst one I ever saw was a huge tombstone on a girl's back at an amusement park. Complete with names. I'm sure she was honoring someone but to me it looked so out of place.

My two - 20 something daughters both have more than I know about!

I've wondered about the full covered arms, legs, etc... what if you have a mole that develops skin cancer? How could you ever see it covered in ink?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked share_oh
  • Bunny
    4 years ago

I think dermatologists have cameras or scanners that can detect suspect areas on your skin that might be overlooked with a casual check. My melanoma was very innocuous looking, not much different than a large freckle or small age spot. It would have never occurred to me something was amiss. I would think that if you are covered with a lot of ink, it would be prudent to get a darn good skin check annually just like everyone else of a certain age should, or if you've spent a lot of time in the sun.

I'm not opposed to tattoos. But I've seen plenty that are pretty awful, if not in execution, then subject matter. I just don't get it. But there's no accounting for taste, as we see across the forums here. True, decor is not necessarily forever, but people like what they like.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bunny
  • jrb451
    4 years ago

Not for me. I guess my opinion was skewed by all the tattooed WWII veterans I saw growing up. Yes, they were crude but they also faded and the skin wrinkled. Better artwork these days for sure but Father time is pretty much the same.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked jrb451
  • amicus
    4 years ago

I saw a man on a cruise once, who had the most beautiful tattoos. They all looked like they were done by the same tattoo artist, as every tattoo was done in very, very fine lines, in black ink, almost like a sketch. The lines were so fine, I can't envision his tattoos becoming blurry black blobs, over the years. They were all very detailed renditions of ancient cathedrals and universities. I recognized some of the European ones, while others appeared to be places in maybe India, Indonesia or China.

I complimented him on the beauty of his tattoos and he thanked me, telling me he had drawn each sketch himself, then had an excellent tattoo artist make them permanent keepsakes. While traveling around the world, he had sketched his favorite buildings, most of which happened to be very old places of worship. I said he was quite the artist, for being able to draw such precise sketches. He laughed and said, 'I wish I could call myself an artist and could pay my bills that way, but I had to become an architect instead.' His choice of tattoos made perfect sense to me!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked amicus
  • lakeaffect
    4 years ago

My college senior daughter has 4, all small and delicate, and will probably get more, she loves them. She started with one of her design on her shoulder right before freshman year, next was a small flower on her rib cage to honor a friend who was quite ill, script that says “Miles to go” on her foot (we are runners) and the latest, a deep green band of tiny flowers to commemorate the dog we had to put down a couple of weeks ago, his collar was always deep green and he loved to sit by the garden and in the shade of the lilacs. We are going to get matching ones this summer, after her college graduation, I’m leaning towards a band of flowers around my wrist, we will see what strikes me at the time. I work professionally and am out and about in the community all the time, and I see people with ink in all professions, I think the perceived stigma is only in the minds of those who judge the “other” for not conforming to their idea of identity or properness.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lakeaffect
  • User
    4 years ago

jrb451, I also saw plenty of them on WWI, WWII and Korea/Vietnam era soldiers. A tattoo is a scar and as a medical professional I hated have to put a needle through one because that skin was very tough.

• terezosa / terriks
    4 years ago

georgysmom2

A scar is less noticeable than a tattoo. JMO. Whenever I think of tattoos, I think about some article of clothing that I loved, loved, loved when I bought it but several years later when I looked at it I thought, what were you thinking? The article of clothing is a lot easier to get rid of.

And even if I still loved the article of clothing I wouldn't want to wear it every day!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked terezosa / terriks
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I just got to laugh: are we talking about decorative ink on people or decorative foam on plates?

• terezosa / terriks
    4 years ago

Maybe try out drawing your own with temporary tattoo pens.

https://www.inkdoneright.com/temporary-tattoo-pen/

Annie Deighnaugh thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, I like the idea of a temporary first to see how I like it...

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    4 years ago

Raye Smith, I have to disagree about tattooed skin being tough. Maybe on soldiers because I'm guessing they would have a lot of callouses and the like from their physical work, but my bluebird is just as soft today as it was when I got it over 25 years ago.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • User
    4 years ago

I've stuck needles in a lot of arms and backs of hands that were tattooed and yes, they are very tough to puncture and painful for the recipient of the needle. The arm/hand isn't an area that would be calloused from work.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

A tattoo is NOT "a scar." Certainly, tattooing has the potential to CAUSE scarring, but when properly executed, tattoo needles do not penetrate deeply enough into the skin's tissue to cause permanent scarring. A tattoo should produce moderate skin damage that scabs slightly and peels after a week or two, and then heals into smoothness that cannot be detected by running one's hand over the inked area.

Tattoo artistry has greatly advanced since WWI, WWII, etc.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH