SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heidip221

Merge old garrison colonial house with new addition!?!

heidip221
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’d LOVE your help!!

We just went through a big Addition/ renovation. pls see pics of house at purchase(brown stained siding) and after. we worked with a draftsman (not an architect, my mistake I know!) who works closely with a well known builder in my area. we decided to address the reno in stages, which was the best route for me bec I wanted to take my time and contemplate how we lived with the new part of house before we touched old part.

im not satisfied with the exterior end result.

We are now at the point where we know we have to replace the old windows and siding to match new this was always part of the plan, however the old roof pitch is bothering me. It’s not as steep as the new, and while I could’ve addressed it before putting on new roof, at the time it was an extra expense we wanted to avoid. NOW I’m looking to complete the following and have questions on your opinions:

-when replacing windows would you space them out to match spacing of new part? (I’m inclined to do so)

-I want to expand the interior entryway/foyer (NOT a two story thing just more room to receive guests), and also make the old part feel more compatible with the new. I’d like to create some height in the old part to De-emphasize/offset how big the new part looks. would you:

1.Create a squared off vestibule like the image attached? And also add the two dormers?

Or,

2.push out the middle and create a roofline to match the roofline of the addition?

separately,

-I’m not a fan of the overhang, has anyone seen any examples of a furrowed wall that “hides” the overhang so the whole front is flat/flush?

-in general I’d like to stay away from a whole porch bc we’d lose the light the house gets which I absolutely love. I do love having a covered entry for guests or sitting out while kids play in front. if porch is best looking solution then I’d definitely consider.

Thank you!!!

oh at the end of the post is my “inspiration home” that I gave to my draftsman to ”copy.” Not quite!! And ps the before picture of that home are nearly identical to my before pic.

INSPIRATION:

Comments (7)