SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Zoodle Miso Egg Ramen and The Unwelcome Truth

John Liu
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

University of Washington has closed all classrooms and switched to online only, Stanford has just done the same.

Oregon still has only a handful of confirmed coronavirus cases. And we’re going to keep it that way, by not administering tests :-) We must like “the numbers” the way they are.

Thus the University of Oregon, that august institution, remains open and DD is still feeding herself while spending every minute in the studio and trying to finish two degrees . . . I feel so bad, if she were home she’d be eating yummy meals full of love instead of “college food”.

I received this message from her, describing her daily gruel.

[text from DD]

“Last spring i got obsessed with miso eggs, but was never able to achieve a recipe that delivered eggs as good as the ones i had at izakaya meiji“

“THIS WEEK, i have done it”

“I perfectly soft boil the eggs, carefully peel after ice bath”

“Then i add soy sauce, miso paste, splash of rice vinegar to big ziploc and mix until all combined”

“Then i carefully add eggs and roll around until coated. Then i suck all extra air out of ziploc so eggs are surrounded by miso marinade w/ minimal oxygen. Then i let sit for around 12 hours”

“Color and flavor infuses duh but MOST IMPORTANTLY it gives the eggs this insane silky creamy texture that had been evading me“

[Next text from DD, after pause]

“Your lack of enthusiasm shocks me”

[Text from me, trying to work]

“No picture. Didn’t happen.“

[Photo text from DD]

[Text from DD]

“The first pic is homemade ramen with zoodles and a broth i made with chicken stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, chili oil, etc”

[Text from me]

“oooo. I want to post on Cooking Forum!”

[Text from DD]

“The zoodle ramen was surprisingly good! I made the broth slightly more concentrated, so that when zoodles released water it diluted broth to perfect flavor level”

[Text from me]

“I’m going to post! since i’ve doing no cooking to speak of :-(“

[Text from DD]

“Bad! Too much coronavirus supply hoarding. Not enough cooking.”

OUCH.

Comments (9)

• plllog
    4 years ago

Beautiful Darling Daughter makes magazine worthy food which sounds as delicious as it looks.

• CA Kate z9
    4 years ago

Sounds like DD has inherited some good cooking genes from her Dad.... and not so starving at college.

I've never had, much less made these eggs, but look delicious... especially as presented.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve warned the kids to be prepared for classes to be cancelled in a few weeks, which might interfere with finals, or might interfere with the start of spring quarter. They don’t seem that broken up about it :-)

• lindac92
    4 years ago

Tsk....poor thing....stuck at school eating ramen noodles!.

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

That really looks tasty. I would eat that. And is repeatable ... apparently. That would be a nice change of pace!

I love how she branded you as a hoarder ... we'll be out to get some TP!

LOL

• Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

Gorgeous!

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Odd how they aren't upset at the prospect of more time to prepare for finals. (grin)

Annie

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

“Bad! Too much coronavirus supply hoarding. Not enough cooking.”

Haha.

They look really good. I've made the Momofuku Milkbar eggs. I'll use some miso next time. Good idea.