SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brea_albritton

Kitchen - Backsplash, open shelves, ready for it to look finished.

Brea Albritton
4 years ago

So I found 2 large marble tiles that I like for a full-wall backsplash. See photo. I also recently saw the half splash with the ledge/shelf and really love that idea! I am not opposed to the idea of taking the shelves down or moving them higher. I could put them in my Mudroom or even in my master bath around the freestanding tub to repurpose them.

My issue is the strip of counter the fabricator installed without me knowing... I saw it after and was like “ok that’s kinda nice” and didn’t think much of it until 1.) my cabinet guy had to cut the towers to accommodate (didn’t call to ask so I could make the decision to remove the counter strip) and 2.) now I want to install a real backsplash and feel like it’s weird to stack the back splash tile on top and then add a mini ledge... like it’s too much going on.

If I have the counter strip removed, then I’ll have to fill the gaps in my 3 towers. Probably not too hard since I have a basic stain and glueing a 1x4” chip and blending it in isn’t rocket science... just annoying.

I am still feeling out my kitchen and placement. I would like to organize the chaos and clear the counters. I need a place to hang my wine glasses too I’ve thought about adding the upside down rack strips to the bottom of the shelves.

I wish I had put in sconces on the sides of the range hood but felt they would be more clutter than function.

Don’t beat me up too bad lol I was (am) in my twenties and designed the entire house on my own. Completely custom. It was a lonely project. But there’s really only a handful of things I wish I had done differently; mostly things no one else notices.

Comments (49)