SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corie_hall

GE Cafe induction or Ilve induction range

Deck The Halls
4 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for an induction range and I would like to get your thoughts on either the GE Cafe or the Ilve. Thanks!

Comments (33)

• dan1888
    4 years ago

Also in that price range is the Bosch 800 series. It has received good reviews here. The cooktop burners have 17 levels of power control plus individual timers.

Deck The Halls thanked dan1888
  • wdccruise
    4 years ago

I assume you want knobs to control the burners. The LG LSE4616ST and LSE4617ST have "recommended" ratings by Consumer Reports. Those Bosch induction ranges have only one touch-control slider for all four burners while the LG, Cafe, and Ilve have a physical knob for each burner -- much more convenient.

• Related Discussions

Question about GE Cafe Induction range

Q

Comments (1)
    They’re metal.
    ...See More

GE cafe induction range with different colored knobs.

Q

Comments (2)
    You can buy the brushed copper (or whatever color you like) knobs and handles from Home Depot! EASY to switch out! Just look for Cafe brushed copper knobs under HD's site.
    ...See More

GE Cafe induction range “simmer”

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi I’ve had the GE Cafe induction range for just a short while, had gas before. It sounds silly, but I’m having trouble finding a “simmer”. Knob is marked LO 2 4 6 8 HI, with half marks between each. I seem to get temperature either too high or too low. I’m getting ready to test with water and thermometer but thought I’d see if anyone can advise. Thanks!
    ...See More

Induction range: GE Cafe or Bosch Benchmark

Q

Comments (14)
    We absolutely love our Bosch induction range purchase 2017. I did a review on it after purchase here and there is a long thread of comments from that post: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4725146/brief-review-of-newest-bosch-induction-range-hiip055u#n=116 we don’t have issues with the electronic control layout; like anything you get the hang of it. It is nice to have no knobs to clean. We are particularly in love with the flex zone which was hard to find on a range top in 2017. The control board did die at one year and was replaced without problem under warranty. We have had no electrical problems or any problems whatsoever with the machine since. The advice to get the longest warranty available is a very good one as all appliances these days have so many electronic parts.
    ...See More
  • M
    4 years ago

From what I have seen here on Houzz, Ilve has pretty much stopped operations in North America. They are now being sold as a budget brand under the Hallman label. Some people have reported being unable to get any service for the Ilve appliances that they bought only recently.

I'd be hesitant to buy either Hallman or Ilve, until this situation has been straightened out satisfactorily.

Deck The Halls thanked M
  • waverly6
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

When I was looking for my appliances 8 months ago, I could not find anything on Ilve induction ranges. That Ilve is gorgeous and I am surprised by M's information but he/she always has sound and reasoned advice.

I am not sure how big you want to go and I apologize for digressing from your original question, but in that price range of Ilve, you may want to look at the Aga induction Elise and Mercury. (48 inches.) I landed up going with that one but it has not been delivered yet as we are still mid reno, so I can't give an opinion. It has smaller ovens which will actually land up suiting me and my current style of cooking. I now am impatient having to wait for my big wall ovens (in another home) to heat up.

• waverly6
    4 years ago

Just taken another look at all the colors of the ilve. Totally love that 40 inch midnight blue with copper. Sob! Anyone want to buy a brand new, not yet delivered, midnight blue AGA Elise ?

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Waverky6, I haven't considered Aga, but I'll have a look. Thank you!

• ann ann
    4 years ago

I have the GE Cafe, which i purchased in October but started using in late December. This is the third induction range i have had. The other two had burners that responded as promptly as gas. The GE has a considerable lag on all burners. Very disappointing. Requires much more supervision, and I am not yet used to it. I haven't had it serviced, yet, but if anyone knows of a correction, please let me know. I have the white matte double oven with bronze fixtures. It's very attractive in my 1923 kitchen with original woodwork (painted white) and brass pulls.

All that said, I would never buy anything but an induction range or cook top. I had an Electrolux that had to be replaced after 8 years of use, so cannot recommend it, and a Frigidaire that I left when I moved. I spent a lot of time deciding to buy the Cafe. My second choice was a Bertazzoni. I chose two ovens.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

@ann ann Here we are two months farther down the road. How are you liking you GE Cafe induction range? The one you have (white with bronze) is exactly the one I want. Please tell me it is the most wonderful range in the world and that you would sell your (choose one: cat/ dog/ husband/ son/ bicycle) before you would be parted from it.

How is the oven? Does it cook evenly? Have you cleaned it yet?

Is there much noise with the induction cook top?

If I buy this range, it is going to trigger a total kitchen re-do (hood, DW, fridge, repaint cabinets, new cabinet hardware which will probably spill over into new hardware for the entire house....) so I want to make sure it is worth it.

• ann ann
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Dear bbstx, I very much like the GE Cafe induction range, but still find it annoying that none of the four burners responds instantly. I saw that some manufacturers had reduced gradations between hot and warm. That may be the difference I am experiencing.

But the minute or two delays are not enough to part me from the stove. I am adjusting. If you have not used induction before, you will love it.

Both ovens work very well in the GE Cafe. Very even heat. Cakes, cookies, German pancakes, macaroni and cheese--everything that comes out of either oven is beautiful.

I have not used the self-cleaning oven feature. I rarely cook meat, but I roast vegetables in olive oil frequently. The windows, doors, and finish wipe down readily. I very much like the covers over the bottom elements.

Be sure to use the silicone on your oven racks. Except for the one that extends, the racks can stick. Incidentally, the lower oven is very low. The upper oven is very small. Hard too look into either window to check food.

I have noted little to no noise from the induction cook top, nor did I before. I think cookware is responsible for most noises described. I use inexpensive stainless steel most of the time. I have a Hestan pan but haven't programmed it yet. The oven fan is noisy during baking and when cooling.

The stove is indeed very attractive. I am using mine freestanding, but black panels on the sides are not as satisfactory as white matte would have been. I am considering adding counters/cupboards on each side, and perhaps the matching hood and microwave.

I already had the white cabinets and original old brass hardware (which looks great) in my kitchen. I hadn't intended to get a white stove at all, until I saw this one.

You will have fun with it--and with your kitchen re-do. Please let me know how everything turns out.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Thanks, Ann. I currently have the GE Cafe dual fuel range which is similar in configuration. Those ovens are very low!!

I think the cabinets and countertops on each side of your range would be a better work set-up. However, if you don’t want to do that, have you considered finding a place to powder coat the sides to match the front? I have a friend who had a behemoth of a Viking range that was white. When she re-did her kitchen, she wanted a gray range. She had the white Viking she already owned powder coated gray. That was 7 or 8 years ago and it is still looking good.

• ann ann
    3 years ago

Powder coating would be a good idea, if the panels weren't plastic. And the black is okay. Matches the range and the kitchen. I bought the range with the idea that I would be moving to a condo and taking it with me. It's been better to be in the house during the shutdowns, but I still hope to move.

I am curious to know whether you use the electronic features of your dual fuel Cafe. Have they been helpful?

• moosemac
    3 years ago

Have you looked at Bertazzoni? I've had mine since November and LOVE it.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

@ann ann, I’m unaware of any electronic features on my dual fuel. It is a 5 year old Cafe with a gas cooktop and electric ovens. It looks similar to the one below. The lower oven is just big enough for a casserole dish. It can also be used as a warming drawer. I mostly use it as storage for my cast iron skillets.

I looked up Hestan pans. What has to be programmed? Do you have to do something to the range in order to use the pan?

@moosemac, I have looked at Bertazzoni. I, of course, fell in love with the orange one. We may only be in this house 5 more years. I think having an orange range might be reflected in the re-sale price. 😏

• moosemac
    3 years ago

bbstx,

I agree the orange is beautiful but I see your point on resale. Blue might be a different story IF Bertazzoni offered it.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

They have a royal blue. Just fell down a rabbit hole looking at Bertazzoni colors. Some color charts show the green and some show the orange. And occasionally there is a deep aqua. I haven’t found one that shows both the green and the orange. It must depend on which range you are buying. I still like the orange one the best, although the deep aqua is running a close second.

• moosemac
    3 years ago

Yes the colors are model specific. O-o-oh I love the aqua!

• ann ann
    3 years ago

bbstx: The newer Cafe models are "smart". One could set a timer from a cell phone for instance. The Hestan pan operates with "precision cooking", and keeps the temperature of contents steady. It's a very nice pan, and I should hook it up. I haven't paid enough attention to know whether I can use it without its probe. It was included as a "rebate" with purchase. A set of Chantal cookware was offered for a time. Induction works well with it--I purchased a set in the 1980s.

The upper oven in the double oven Cafe induction is the smaller of the two. As I mentioned before, I use both ovens frequently with excellent results. The smaller oven is small enough to not feel guilty about using it as a plate warmer, and big enough to bake cakes, cookies, casseroles. The 2011 Electrolux had a second very small oven drawer at the bottom, like your dual fuel GE. It was good for pizza, but more often used as a warming drawer.

moosemac: I am curious to know whether your Bertazzoni induction burners respond instantly. Also does it now have a timer? It was difficult to chose between the two. My daughter had a gas Bertazzoni, which she liked. But she also had an Aga. I've never heard her rave about either! She now has a 60s model Frigidaire Flair pull down range, which she does rave about. It was made before the Consumer Products Safety Commission limited cooking temperatures.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

My SIL had a Flair that finally gave up the ghost about 10 years ago. She loved that stove. I don’t think it ever occurred to her to have it refurbished, but she has said often she wished she had it back.

• ann ann
    3 years ago

Her Flair came with her house. The kitchen is quite small. Being able to slide in the cook top makes a big difference. It has been indicating decline, however. An induction cook top and overhead ovens might make a reasonable substitute.

Incidentally, I was browsing this website and found a disappointed Bertazzoni owner. Bad service primarily.

• chinacatpeekin
    3 years ago

I’m about to purchase a Fisher Paykel classic model 30 inch induction range. Anyone care to comment? It will be my first experience with induction. I’m happy to hear your thoughts.
    Right now it comes with a free dishwasher, which I also need.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

@chinacatpeekin, if I were you, I’d start a new thread asking your question. I’m afraid it might not get the attention it deserves on this thread since the title references GE and ILve ranges.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

@chinacatpeekin "I’m about to purchase a Fisher Paykel classic model 30 inch induction range...Right now it comes with a free dishwasher"

You don't have to spend $6500 for an induction range. The GE PHS930SLSS and LG LSE4617ST perform very well per Consumer Reports (http://www.consumerreports.org - $10/month digital) have large ovens, and cost less than half. That dishwasher ain't free.

• badabing2
    3 years ago

CR July 2020

GE PROFILE PHS930SLSS

$2,709 86 points

Overall, this range is excellent, offering superb fast cooktop heat from its highest-power burner and steady simmering. Baking and broiling are very good. The large oven has a convection mode, and the self-cleaning cycle is excellent. ge.com

------

The Cafe is mainly cosmetic changes to the Profile is my understanding.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

@badabing2: "The Cafe is mainly cosmetic changes to the Profile is my understanding."

No, the GE Profile PHS930SLSS has touch controls while the Cafe CHS900P2MS1 has knobs are among the differences.

• Brooklyn
    3 years ago

@chinacatpeekin - Did you end up buying the F&P induction? That's my top choice, but wondering if I'm making too much of how beautiful it is!?

• chinacatpeekin
    3 years ago

I DID buy it, but it’s not installed yet. I chose it in great part for its looks:) I got the 30 inch classic model in SS.
    I’ve had a FP refrigerator for almost a decade, and it’s been great, no repairs needed thus far ( knock wood), so I’m feeling positive about this purchase.
    Aesthetics are important to me, as is functionality; why not try to have both?
    Good luck with your decision!

• chitown_mary
    3 years ago

@hoffmnds - Let us know how you like the range once it's installed. happy cooking!

• wdccruise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Note that the FP OR30SCI6X1 (Classic):

• has a very small oven (3.5 cf) compared to the GE Profile PHS930SLSS (5.3 cf) and LG LSE4617ST (6.3 cf)
    • has a largest burner (8-1/4") considerably smaller than those of the Profile (11") and LG (11")
    • does not have a bridge feature
    • turns on the broiler during delayed start which the owners manual warns can burn up the food waiting to be cooked
    • has no warming burner
    • has no storage drawer
    • requires a 50 amp electrical service rather than 40 amp for the Profile and LG
    • costs 84% more than the Profile and LG
  • lwfromny
    3 years ago

Just an FYI for those buying induction for the first time: you may need new cookware. I’ve only ever had induction once and everything took FOREVER to cook/boil when we first started using it. It was so frustrating I did a bunch of research and learned that induction only works well if your cookware has a perfectly flat bottom so the full pan bottom is in contact with the burner. Went to bed bath and beyond and started taking pans out of all the boxes and placing them on the floor to see if they fully made contact. It was surprising how few did! Finally bought the flattest bottomed pans I could find. Problem solved after that. Note this was in 2009-2010 so maybe newer models have resolved this issue. But I have no interested in trying again - gas for me all the way. Hated cleaning it (thought it would so easy but mine wasn’t) and even though I figured out the pan issue I always felt it wasn’t as good as gas.

• Mary
    3 years ago

@Deck The Halls which did you go with? I’m considering these as well.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Mary, My basement finishing project has been on hold due to COVID, so I haven't gone with either. I did look at GE Cafe, and I've decided I don't really like the look of it in person.

• Mary
    3 years ago

Thanks! I’m leaning that way as well - hate to be based on looks but...not great.