SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Can I get it right this time?

I have three free spots in my very limited Rose bed and one in a large container.

I am looking for some recommendations that will truly perform in my humid zone 7b (Atlanta area).

Two years ago I started out with my first two roses - Good as Gold and Dick Clark. These two and a Climbing Pinkie is all I have. They've all been a "Meh" so far.

Little did I know when I first decided to try roses that hybrid teas were not the best choice for my zone or the abundance of blooms I had in mind.

Only recently did I realize that I should have tried floribundas or grandifloras or even some David Austins, as someone at the local nursery suggested. These supposedly perform much better - and I wish I'd been aware of that.

The nursery lady said she has a large garden of her own and that in our zone, Rosie the Riveter has been her absolute star, by far.

Would you be able to recommend any floribundas, grandifloras or Austins that are known to do well in the humid south and meet these other conditions?

Prolific, repeat bloomers all season long - the longer the better. Some that have become legendary for performance.

Very disease resistant.

Work well as cut flowers.

One that would do well in a container.

I can consider any color as long as the performance is widely recognized - but I prefer pinks of all kinds, orange, sunset pink-orange mixes. Less favored would be deep reds and purples/violets.

Thank you so much!

Comments (52)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• seil zone 6b MI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Julia Child was my first thought as well. She is an excellent performer for me, and as you can see, for a lot of people in diverse areas of the country. Tons of blooms, good hardiness and good disease resistance. Plus a nice fragrance!

And I've grown her both in a pot and in the ground and she does well in both!

• Related Discussions

Trying to get the timing right.

Q

Comments (79)
    I have never propagated a fig, and I couldn't find any Step 1, 2, 3 instructions to the baggie method (evidently they have been removed, and it's frustrating to read verbal wars)!! I googled the subject and found an interesting thread (which I lost after I copied the thing), but it was from an old timer who doesn't like to waste his time with much science. He just explained he lays his cuttings down in a 1.5" trench in a protected place and crumbles light dirt over them. He claims one 6" cutting will produce 2 or 3 plants, and he doesn't need to do one thing. After they go dormant, he digs them up, separates them, and moves them to where he wants them. Since I have UC Davis cuttings coming out my ears, I'm going to cut them into 6" pieces, and try his method. I'm not greedy! I don't want 300% success! They sent 3 cuttings per variety, and I wouldn't know what to do with all those figs!! The other cuttings will probably get split between my best understanding of the baggie method, and some propagating containers with perlite and peat moss. I'm going to try it 3 ways, but my gut is going with the old timer!!
    ...See More

I just can't get this gardening stuff right... What's wrong?

Q

Comments (12)
    Start with a good reliable soil test for soil pH and major nutrients and dig in with these simple soil tests, 1) Soil test for organic matter. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. For example, a good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top. 2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drainsâ too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up. 3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart. 4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell. 5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy. to see what else might need be done to start making that soil into something that will grow plants that will produce edible fruit. The people at your local office of the University of Minnesota Cooperative Extension Service will be able to help as well. Here is a link that might be useful: UMN CES
    ...See More

I think I finally have it right this time! (pics)

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks Magi! The "horsey" soaps are going to a consignment shop that sells only equestrian wear and other odds and ends that are horse related. We just purchased my daughter's 1st saddleseat suit from this lady and while we were there I noticed some very poorly made soaps there, (I'm sorry to who ever did them but they were awful :() I guess it was some lady from the west coast. Anyway, in our conversation she said she'd love me to bring some in sooooooooo... this will be my first try at public selling! The rest were made just because for now but I do want to start making Mother's Day baskets. One of my other daughters (there are 4 in all) came down today and wiped me out! LOL I love it though, makes me happy that I can still make things for them that they love. I'm so glad I inspired you! Thanks!
    ...See More

Getting tired of “10 yrs and I still can’t get my living room right”

Q

Comments (12)
    I can confess that I really don't understand what the problem is. I know I have a thread with probably over 50 posts (help me and my new to me house decor) on it- and yes as Molly said, there are changes and advice. I thought it was preferable to continue with the one thread so all the info and pix are there and people can see the progression. I find it very helpful. I know there are a few I have seen that are huge, and I just scroll by. I don't know if you are talking about other threads that I somehow have missed, but if it's mine I had no idea that it would be perceived as selfish.
    ...See More
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Do you spray for Blackspot? Just be aware that some people do, so their suggestions may not pan out for you if you don't. Most of the following are smaller flowered roses. Those which have been rock solid for me in an area with high BS pressure have been Pink Pet, Gruss an Aachen, Marie Pavie and Maggie. I'm trying a few of ARE's Pioneer roses, but will have to report back later this season on those. Another that went through the normally BSy Fall season with gorgeous foliage is Peggy M, but I just put her in the ground last summer, so the data is slim. Clotilde Soupert puts up with any just about anything, only showing a touch of PM in the shadier Fall, but as she balls for so many I hesitate to recommend her. I also hesitate to recommend Summer Romance as many have issues with rebloom. Another stalwart flowerer is Fire Opal, but she as a semi-double may not be what you want. Zaide is a gorgeous crazy bloomer, but will periodically BS, although she regrows leaves quickly. Baking soda works well with her level of disease. Since you mention Austins, I'd suggest Munstead Wood for bloom and relative health and echo Ken's suggestion of Molineux. MW is a thorny one, though. It looks like I'll have to get Julia someday!

• Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all so much!

Vapor, I try to spray but can't always keep up with it very well. I plan to do better this summer.

Julia Child sounds like a winner, I may have to try it!

I was also thinking about Austin Olivia Rose and Lady Shalot. Would any of these do well in a pot?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Rosie the Riveter?

I love the sunset color of that one.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

If someone who works at a nursery near you says their Rosie the Riveter does really well, then they are giving you better information for your specific area then we will be able to give you, spread out around the world as we are. If you like that rose I'd say go for it!

4 years ago

I agree with K S, especially as you mention the nursery lady apparently grows it herself. I would trust a BigBox opinion, but a smaller nursery needs repeat business. Give it a try. I only found my super healthy blooming ones through trial and error!

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

I would like to recommend Olivia Austin, Lady of Shalott, Teasing Georgia and Bordeaux Cityscape as great bloomers with excellent disease resistance with no spray in humid zone 7b. Most roses perform well in our zone as long as you spray.

Olivia rose May do well in a large pot, she is a continuous bloomer and can be pruned. lady of S is a huge plant here in zone 7b, mine grew over 5 feet on her first season and I expect it won’t be happy in a pot for very long ( no matter how nice she looks in David Austin‘s website in a pot). They probably repot her often to keep her happy. I also think local recommendations are usually the best and specially ask if they stay healthy without spray.

4 years ago

! Duh! How could I forget Bordeaux? Good call Dianela!

Original Author
    4 years ago

I am taking notes on your esteemed opinions - so Rosie the Riveter is surely on. Would you be able to recommend a good source to get it from? My nursery lady said they will probably have it at some point but I don't know when it will be there and I'd rather not wait. Should I ask them to bring it to me - as it looks like you can order specific plants through them.

I find the color of RTR to die for based on what I Google. I absolutely love sunset-ish roses. The reputation for my rose-fussy, humid zone seems to be excellent too and it's highly floriferous apparently. Virtually perfect.

The only thing I don't like about this rose is its name LOL. I am more on the "Saved by a knight in shining armor" side than the "We Can Do It" camp. So something like Lady of Shalott would have sounded better to my ears. But I'll live. :)

So far the list looks like this:

Julia Child

Rosie the Riveter

DA Olivia Rose for container

If anyone could recommend another DA that would perform well in a container except a brighter, more orchid/sorbet type pink, I would consider that one too. Olivia seems to have a following though. I do want to have an Austin too...they look so romantic and old-fashioned, which I love.

I am also waiting for a Belinda's Dream to arrive in a week or so. I ordered it back in early winter as I'd heard miracles about that one too - so I had to get it.

I am not really looking for red roses but that Bordeaux is amazing. I might have to push my luck for a 4th spot somewhere in the front bed which we just landscaped and where I tend to favor a red-white color pattern for annuals. Hopefully I will not ruin the overall landscape look with it.

The space-related issue with roses remains a real challenge.

Then again, I am giving an ultimatum to my Good as Gold HT. If it disappoints this year too, we will part ways and I will plant a new one there in early Fall.

Original Author
    4 years ago

The container I intend to use is a relatively large one (about 20" diameter) that sits on my lower deck with pansies. If all goes well, I will probably go out of control adding more container roses in this area in the future as there is plenty of space. Large lower deck, gets morning to about 2: pm sun, maybe more from the west later but I am not sure.

The container rose will be an experiment. I see this container very well from the kitchen and I think Olivia will look nice against the reddish rails.

4 years ago

You might take a look at Young Lycidas for a fragrant, deep pink/orchid colour. I don't grow it to recommend, but it's meant to have a weeping type of habit that looks good in a plant. Someone that grows it will have to comment on its disease resistance. I consider both Maggie and Bordeaux deep fuchsias or pink reds rather than true reds.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • seil zone 6b MI
    4 years ago

Just so you know, I am a no spray garden and Julia is very healthy for me.

Severe, do not be afraid to get rid of roses you don't like! It's called shovel pruning here, lol, and we all do it. Life is short. Don't waste your time and money on a rose that disappoints you. There are thousands more out there to chose from!

That pot looks a little smallish. If you can find bigger pots you roses will be happier.

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

I agree with Vapor on a Bordeaux‘s color. I don’t love many true reds, but Bordeaux, Darcey Bussell and Munstead Wood are all on the red/blue spectrum and blend well with other colors.

I would recommend Christopher Marlowe for a pot also. It has that cascading look that looks well in container. It does get blackspot but recovers and keeps blooming. Color variation is lovely. I have even considered digging it up and putting it on a large container. It is hard to tell sizes on pictures, how tall is your container? I have used some that are around 19”Wx 17”H at the minimum. Other David Austin that may do well in a pot are Boscobel, Princess Anne and Desdemona. Good luck with your project =)

Christopher Marlowe

Princess Anne

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Those are both absolutely gorgeous big fat blooms, Dianela. I've been watching Princess Anne, and now I will have to recheck Christopher Marlowe. He is more beautiful than I realized. The color is stunning. And so many petals. Will you be able to take these two with you to your new home? Diane

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    4 years ago

Hi ya!!

I’m in NW Ga and Olivia is an awesome awesome rose. She’s one of my favorite Austin’s. She reblooms great and fast and is stunning. I spray but not religiously and she’s great against blackspot. She gets huuuuge so if you put her in a pot it needs to be big!! I have 3 of her lol

Cream Veranda is also amazing. Beautiful and quick repeat like Olivia. I have 3 CV too. I’m hopeless!!

Rosie was new to me last year but I loved her so much I’ve bought 2 more. She rebloomer pretty good for her first year.

All last a long time in a vase!!! Have fun deciding!! Judy

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

Good to see you posting, Judy.

I usually look to the Nashville, Birmingham/Huntsville and Atlanta area posters for specific advice.

I definitely read yours and Kens posts closely.

I think we had some posters in Kentucky and southern Ohio too that I followed closely.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    4 years ago

Hi JC.

I hope you’re doing well!! I rarely have time to post but I love getting on to read up on everyone. I def read your posts too. It’s nice to get opinions from someone close by!!

Take care!!

Original Author
    4 years ago

dianela,

I absolutely love those big fat blooms of Marlowe! Gorgeous color indeed. This is why I wanted an Austin - for the big fat, old-fashioned blooms which others don't seem to have.

DA doesn;t seem to list it as a container rose though.

My container is a 19"x17" and it does look smaller in the picture. This is largest I have. Should I try a rose in this one or would experts here think I should bite the bullet and get a larger one? The non-plastic ones are so expensive...but I guess I wouldn't want to put a heavy ceramic one on a raised deck anyway. I am afraid it would be too heavy.

PettyPetals,

Olivia sounds SO nice...but if you say it gets that large, maybe she should not be my container rose? DA lists her under container roses. Then again so they do with Lady Shalott.

So far, I am sold on RTR and Julia Child. Not sure about the rose for the container though...

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

severe, I think the question you're asking lends to the most frustrating answer.

It depends.

This is my third year on the forum and all of it has been trial and error. The best recommedations didn't work well, I have gone against standard advice with relative sucess, it just honestly depends.

I think you should pick a few of the local recommendations and see what happens! If they don't work out, you will get enjoyment from trying to make a better selection next season.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh...how about Belinda's Dream in the 19x17 pot?

This one I already ordered so it will be here soon. I just read that it is one of the most recommended roses for containers.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Well...done deal. I bought RTR and Julia Child as bare root. I am still a few weeks away from last chance of frost - so hopefully they will get here asap so I can plant them after a good soaking. Belinda's Dream will probably go in my pot.

Thank you all SO MUCH.

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Severe Novice I think the pot should be fine at that size for a rose that can be pruned heavily every year (most Austins). When It comes to pots bigger IS really better =), but mine have done ok in that size pot with frequent watering and lots of food. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your beautiful roses. When it comes to roses some times you just have to try what you want and try again if it doesn’t work out. I don’t really know how Austins people choose what roses do well in containers. Maybe their weather is just too different from ours here in the south.

Christopher M on first year barely of the ground

Lady of S planted on same day. He stayed the same height and she is over 5 feet tall.

Diane the blooms In Christopher Marlowe are not very large, but they are so fluffy and they also smell very nice. The color is always rich and warm. My husband calls it the hurricane rose because the color looks like my favorite hurricane drink. Now princess Anne is glorious in bloom and it blooms generously. Her blooms are very reminiscent of peonies and her color is very bright pink that ages to purplish. I really love that one and can only imagine it would be spectacular in your garden ( all roses are spectacular in your garden). I will be lucky enough at least for now to keep both gardens and they are only 2 miles apart. We are hopping to get my parents and grandparents to come and stay here with us for months at a time. My grandmother loves gardening and wants to steal cuttings from every plant she sees (in Cuba that’s not stealing of course they are “everyone’s” plants). She is a lot of fun lol. I can’t wait to be able to just walk around the garden with her planting little flowers.

4 years ago

Thank you for those pics and the in info on PA. That will be SO much fun to have your family come visit. I really wish mine lived closer.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

As you're finding here, rose recommendations vary a lot from different people and you end up making up your own mind and finding what works for you by trial and error. I don't grow roses in pots but even in my considerably cooler zone I'd hesitate to put a rose in something that I intend to keep in a pot as small as you describe. As a stepping stone to a larger container it would be fine, but you want to leave enough room for the roots to develop. Looking at the picture above from Dianela, you have to picture enough roots underground to balance out all that 3-5' of top growth even for a rose that stays relatively mannerly. I wouldn't plan to keep a rose long-term in your zone in a pot smaller than I could encircle with my arms. The drip zone of the top branches usually equate to the spaces the roots take up underground. For me I opt for whiskey barrels for my patio tomatoes (that don't require as much root space as roses) so that there is enough room for the roots and so that the base doesn't topple over in the wind from all the top growth.

Those of you who grow roses in pots can tell me I'm all wet and a 19" pot would be fine. If you find it's too small, you can always repot it larger as it grows. For me I'd prefer to bite the bullet ahead of time and make less long-term work, particularly if I'm planting a bare root rose that already has a fair bit of root growth that I'd need to accommodate.

Just my two cents.

Cynthia

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is a good point about the long-term work. I will reconsider. I am thinking to check Costco and Old Time Pottery (a discount store in my area) - you can find more affordable large containers there sometimes. I need something light anyway.

I just wanted to mentioned that the rose I plan for the container (Belinda's Dream) will notbe bareroot, but a small plant. It might be a while until she spreads to fit well in a giant container.

That being sad, a customer who bought the same rose posted a picture of his newly planted BD and it looks like he chose a pretty large one for the size, but I don't think t's any larger than my 19".

I wonder how fast this little thing would grow. I also read BD is on the small side and doesn't grow fast.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Also, I was wondering which of these three would you place in a pot, if you had to choose?

Melinda's Dream

Julia Child

Rosie the Riveter

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Julia Child grew fast here 14 years ago. I have two of that age grafted on Dr Huey. They were in large pots, maybe 5 gallon. My third Julia is own root and several years old. She also started from a 5 gallon container and grew a little slower (not much) than the grafted plants. Diane

Original Author
    4 years ago

Maybe Rosie should be in the pot? How big does she get? I read no more than 3-4 feet. So from the three above, that might make her most suitable for my container.

• suncoastflowers
    4 years ago

I have Belinda's Dream. She is healthy and very vigorous. I wouldn't put her in a pot. I had Julia Child's about 9 years ago or so, but I sold that house after a year so I can't comment on her mature size. She was a healthy workhorse though. I know she and Belinda will make you happy and I think Rosie may woo you over to the "we can do it" side before it's over.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, suncoastflowers!

I just received RTR and Julia Child bare root and they are now soaking in a pail. Will go in the ground tomorrow.

So who goes in the pot from these three? None?

I don't have space for three more roses in the rose bed; so one of them MUST go in the pot.

I heard people who said BD didn't grow that much for them and that it was suited for a pot.

If RTR is the most suited for a pot (doesn't grow more than 4 feet apparently), I will have to go buy a large enough container tomorrow, as 19" doesn't seem to cut it.

I can't soak Rosie more than 24 hours. Urgh. Gotta make a choice fast.

4 years ago

I've soaked mine longer than that without a problem if that's a help. If Rosie the Riveter doesn't seem to get that large I not put her in the 19 inch pot you can always transplant or later. That's pretty big to start out with anyway.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vaporvac,

I will probably go shop for a larger container anyway. I don't own anything larger than 19" and I guess it's time. Might as well. I just wanted to make sure I pot the smallest grower of all these three. Based on the research I've done so far, it looks like Rosie is the least likely to grow more than 4 ft. I have seen large bushes of Julia Child and Belinda's Dream out there in Google land, but am yet to see a large Rosie.

It's good to know they can soak a bit longer than that. I got them in the water today around 1-2 pm .

I plan to use the popular 5:1:1 mix (5 pine park fines, 1 peat moss, 1 perlite). But other than this, what else should I add in there? Some Osmocote slow release and lime? For lime, I have no idea how much.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    4 years ago

My Rosie was new to me last year so I really can’t comment yet how big she gets. She got about 3 ft tall last year.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I spent 6 hours today placing Julia in the rose bed and Rosie in a giant pot (24" W). I've never dealt with such a giant pot.

Digging the hole for Julia , then mixing and measuring my own 5:1:1 (plus some fertilizer) for Rosie, then loading it in that giant pot...all this took more time and energy than I imagined.

I was wiped out when all was said and done.

These too had better be worth it. :)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Severe, imagine doing this at age 74. Heehee. Diane

Original Author
    4 years ago

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I was thinking today!. I knew many posters here are in their more senior years...and I just could not imagine! I am no spring chicken either but I still think that at my age it should not be that exhausting.

The measuring got me and all the bending.

Thing is I went to You Tube and looked at various videos where they were planting a rose in a container. Many barely looked as large as my originally intended 19".

I ended up spending quite a bit on a 24" but honestly, I haven't seen anyone planting into a container this large. But if it will save me some work down the road...so be it. Goodness, did it swallow a lot of mix or what.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I wanted to add two pictures of my newly planted RTR in a very large container (24.5" x 21.5H).

I am still not sure if I did well with the soil. I finished planted last evening.

I tried to do the approx 5-1-1 based on soil recipes I read about for container roses.

I did 5 Fine Pine bark (soil conditioner) x 1 Kellogg organic potting soil with peat x 1 perlite and vermiculite mixed. I also some bone meal and lime and also very little manure, as I had read one should not put manure in containers. But I still added a bit, probably too little to matter.

There is not much fertilizer in there so I wonder what I should fertilize with again in a month. Water soluble?

I watered really well but the next day when I touched the soil it seemed only barely damp. And it's only early spring. This sounds like a good mix for water drainage but I wonder if it is capable of retaining water well enough.

I followed advice about mixing one's own container medium to avoid using just potting mix from the store.

Hopefully this mix will break down more slowly over time compared to potting mix from store because I'll be in no hurry to change the soil in this giant thing.

4 years ago

If you get as much rain as we do here, dry soil will not be an issue, but water again if it feels dry! Good job. I would wait a month before using a liquid fertilizer half strength. May I ask from where you bought your pine bark fines/soil conditioner? I want to use that for cuttings and the big box stores seem to have switched over to coir and no longer carry it.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't know whether that is actual Pine Bark Fines -proper. It said "Soil Conditioner" on the package.

I read the small print and I think it did say it includes pine bark or something like that. I got one bag from Home Depot and one from a small local nursery called Kelli Green.

Both of those bags went in there.

I am not sure how fine the pine bark actually is but this is as good as I could do because I can't find anything around here that is called Pine Bark Fines.

I hope Soil Conditioner is good enough.

In terms of fertilizer...the only thing that the mix contains is some bone meal and very little manure - too little to count. I would have added some Osmocote slow release granules but I ran out. It doesn't have a whole lot of fertilizer so I would like to start feeding sooner rather than later. But I guess I will wait a month.

As for rain...it depends. Not necessarily. Some summers can be rainy, others not. It gets very humid and we can have serious droughts.

The location should be nice as I followed the sun and it does get it almost all day long.

For the summer, I am thinking to plant some White Alyssum around it. What other companions plants would you recommend for this pot? Too big for Rosie alone - for now at least.

4 years ago

You. I will have to call Home Depot this year. They are the same thing pine bark fines and soil conditioner. Just a different name. Thank you. I would go with Allison.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I keep getting this feeling that 5 parts of soil conditioner makes the mix too aerated and not the best water soaking medium. But my understanding was that this proportion of pine bark is particularly good for large pots as it will last loner and not break down as fast or become as compacted as store bought potting mix (lots of peat).

Right now, it just feels like I will have to do a lot of watering.

4 years ago

Did you soak the mix prior? I might just give it a a lot of water but once it starts raining I don't think it'll be a problem. You got a lot of rain therwhere you are in Georgia?e in Georgia

Original Author
    4 years ago

I did not. But I watered some half way before filling up the pot completely.

In terms of water...sometimes yes, sometimes no. We can have droughts.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I wanted to ask another question on my newly potted rose.

I am starting not to trust the mix I made. After reading about the cost and long-term benefits of mixing one's own soil I went with a 5:1:1 (5 parts soil conditioner, 1 part Kellog organic potting mix, 1 part perlite+vermiculite); but I may have dropped a bit more soil conditioner than just 5 parts,.

I don't know...because the mix seems to have very low water retention.

It's all fine, dandy and aerated but it gives me the feeling I am going to have to water it constantly.

I do understand that this type of mix is good for a big pot because it won't break down and collapse as quickly as a heavier, peat based mix; but I am concerned about the water retention.

After all the watering, it only feels slightly damp. More like cold than damp - and it's early Spring. What will a hot Southern summer make it? I might have to set base next the pot, hose in hand.

I am thinking to take out the top mix and replace with some potting soil. Or would that be a bad idea?...

I am kind of musing out loud.

4 years ago

511 is very aerated! Wait for the spring rains. Then revisit. I personally add other things, but my pots aren't that large or for long-term storage. Perhaps you can rig up some sort of auto waterer later.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    4 years ago

I've been making my own potting mix with various ratios of coir, compost and perlite. I usually do a aerated mix for plants like gardenias, and a more water retentive mix for roses. I don't know how it will work out long term, mine have only been in pots for a couple of years, so far so good.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Rekha,

I think mine is way too aerated. But I followed what I read was a tried-and-true, excellent all around recipe for most pots. I did not realize soil conditioner would make it THAT aerated / non-water retentive. If it dries up too fast when the warm weather kicks in, I will scoop out whatever I can and replace with more organic potting mix.

Maybe an aerated layer at the bottom and more water retentive towards the top would work better? I am still very inexperienced when it comes to understanding growing medium.

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Re-reading this post, I seem to have missed the part about the Kellogg mix being peat-based. Peat is very water retentive, but needs initial hydration or it will repel water. This is why peat-based soils are hard to rehydrate once dry. Usually when I make my mix I wet it all down before planting or drop my pots into a bucket of water to soak it up, but your pot is too heavy for this.Vermiculite holds water also. Has it improved yet?

Original Author
    3 years ago

The big pot with 5:1:1 where I placed Rosie seems fine. But I have watered it almost every day lately, sine the sun has been out. I expect it will dry up very fast in the summer but I will ad some mulch by then. It will be an experiment. :)

Rosie is growing well in the pot but not quite as fast as Julia Child which was planted at the same time - but in the ground. That one is really impressive. It's almost caught up with my other two roses that have been in the ground for 2 years now.