SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amoebameba

Need help with front landscaping

Amoeba-meba
4 years ago

My brick Georgian in the Chicago suburbs is in desperate need of landscaping.

The front exterior of the house went through a refresh last fall with new shutters, light, house numbers and repairs done on the bay window. Last fall also brought a plumbing issue that required digging a deep hole right in front of the house.

I've been wanting to redo the landscaping for several years. When the plumbing issues took out the middle section of bushes, I just ripped everything out to have a clean slate to work with in the Spring. Below are pictures of the front before any work started. There are two layers of stones with bushes that I've heard lovingly described as being 'frumpy lumpy'. I'm not sure about keeping the stones - they aren't connected together, so could easily be removed or repositioned.

The house is in the near north suburbs of Chicago - zone 5. The house faces west and gets full sun probably for only 2-3 hours a day (when the trees are in leaf). The tree closest to the fence has been trimmed back away from the house, but isn't in good shape and may need to be replaced. Below is a rough plan. The curved line is roughly the position of the stone border.

Please share any ideas!! Thanks in advance.

Comments (176)