SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanna_yurick

Kitchen Makeover - Questions about Counter and floor colors

Susanna Yurick
4 years ago

Hi All. I started this conversation before but it kind of fizzled. But the contractor is coming in about 2 weeks (YIKES) so I need to get my materials. I'll try to find my current pics, but they are not very good. My kitchen is about 18x8 though part of the wall dividing the kitchen and dining room is open, with a counter.

My plan is this:

white subway tile with dark grey grout.

We have upper and lower cabinets. I plan to paint the lower ones in either a deep grey/blue or (I believe it's called "Adriatic") blue - which is the color of the wall between the dining room and the kitchen. The upper cabinets will be "mascarpone" white - which is the white that we've got throughout the house.

I'm totally overwhelmed when I go to look at the counter tops. We will probably get Quartz. I like the ones that have a marbled look, generally. So my 1st question is: more of a white with black and grey, more of a grey, or more of a black counter.

The second question involves the floor... there is tile over it now and we don't know what's under it. If we uncover it and it's the parquet that is in the rest of our house (Brooklyn brownstone) then we'll just refinish that... but if it's messy or destroyed we'll need to re-tile. I thought about stone tile in a grey-blue hue (not a monolithic color) but now we're thinking stone may be too hard and I'm wondering about it next to the darker cabinets. Thoughts? Wood? Colors of tile? I'm not doing anything with an actual pattern.

Also - the kitchen is long. My husband hates recessed lighting (I don't know why but since I usually get my way I can give him this one) and I'm looking for some pendant lighting ideas. We'll have some over the "island", and under cabinet lighting.

Another thing we're doing is open wood shelving on one wall for spices and the like.

I plan to make color with our small appliances.

Any thoughts?

Comments (19)