SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_888018392

Does this niche look horrible or am I just being too picky?

Nina B
4 years ago

Our bathroom renovation has been ongoing for 2 weeks now, and the guys are finishing up tomorrow. They grouted today, and just have to caulk and they’ll be done. I was so excited to get home today to see the grout, only to burst into tears because of how bad it looks. Granted, I am 8 months pregnant, I have a toddler and dog who I have had to get out of the house everyday for 8+ hours the last two weeks, and then come home and vacuum and dust like crazy every single day because the house has been totally filthy when they leave. I am extra emotional and tired. I’m usually a very reasonable person and very non-confrontational. I’m so so ready for this renovation to be over that I can’t get myself to say anything for fear of it dragging out longer. I would love for it to be redone but I just want my house back and need them to be done. That being said, I’m trying to talk myself into at least asking them money off the total cost (which we’re settling tomorrow) because I truly think this looks awful. Not only unnecessarily asymmetrical, but the border/corners don’t line up, and I just know if they would’ve put even a little more thought into it, it could’ve been more symmetrical and just overall better. The cost to add a niche was $450.

I mentioned some worry to the GC about the state of the niche yesterday before they grouted but he assured me it would look better with grout, but also kept saying the problem is the tile I chose, and that it was difficult to work with. How was I supposed to know that? I picked it because I like the way it looks, I don’t know anything about tile application. I also showed it to him during the bidding process and he didn’t say anything about it being an issue.

Apologies for rambling. Basically, what should I do? Is it reasonable to ask for the $450 to be taken off the total? Help! I know it’s dumb but I’m so upset over this.

Comments (48)