SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Need advice on getting new well water treatment system . . .

l pinkmountain
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our water treatment/softener system for our well is done for. I'm trying to figure out what the best thing to do for replacement. My first instinct is to test the water and find out what our specific issues are. Iron and hardness are a given. Culligan does the minimum for free. Private company does it for low cost but more extensive test for a lot of money and health dept. also tests both ways, the basics for minimal cost and also more extensive tests at considerable cost. Then, we can either shop around and get the best and most affordable system that treats our issues, and install ourselves or have our plumber install it, or do the renting route with Culligan. OR, contract with a high quality, reliable but very expensive local business. Their prices are sky high IMHO but they have excellent customer service. I'm all about local, but this just seems a little bit overpriced, like a bit of gouging due to it not being a very competitive market. We have had to go to them when no one else was able to solve the problem with our current system though, so I dunno. I usually have to take a middle of the road approach given my financial situation. Always looking for value, most bang for buck within reason.

What do you think is reasonable regarding the level of water testing, and also what have your experiences been good or bad with treating marginal well water . . . what is worth it and what's not? Obviously not dealing with unsafe water due to bacteria but who knows about the other stuff . . . We have never drank or cooked with it, due to the high salt content and general nastiness. Plain ol' salt system has been fine for bathing and washing things. I don't like that we are always having to buy water to drink though . . . especially all the plastic involved . . .

Comments (7)