SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa616

need creative kitchen table ideas!

Lisa
4 years ago

I very much want a kitchen table. Of some size/shape! I know the space is challenging but I’m hoping you awesome people out there have some ideas! I was thinking of using the pony wall for a bench so that would save space. I would love a round pedestal but thinking that’s probably not the best for this space. Despite what I want. I hope these measurements help. Because of that angle it’s sort of challenging measuring it all out. I will have 2 or 3 stools on the right end of the island. That’s where the overhang with legs is so even a small breakfast table would be ok. I do have a dining room.. but really love being in the kitchen. 4 people would be ideal. Any brilliant ideas!

Comments (62)

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I would forego the island seating and instead put a 48" table perpendicular to the table and make that your seating area. Or, do a bench at the back of the island with a table and two chairs across from it.

A 48" rectangular pedestal table could comfortably seat 6.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s too late.. the island has already been made. Just waiting for install. It’s this but switched the seating to the other end.

• Related Discussions

Need creative idea for back of peninsula

Q

Comments (13)
    I have an issue where the end of my island has two columns. I was trying to figure out whether the granite should go between the two columns at the end. Ultimately I decided to have a little elevated (above the counter) shelf at the end (not covered in granite). Below the little shelf would be attractive outlets for using laptops and devices. IME, the wall end of a peninsula is where people end up sitting with their laptops, and it's nice to have handy plugs that you don't have to root around in dark places to find. Adorne outlets are pretty beautiful. For example: Make the little shelf look intentional, for example a picture ledge
    ...See More

Creative ideas needed for space above fridge

Q

Comments (22)
    The horizontal hinge is nice because it holds the door open. An ordinary hinge will allow it to fall closed if not held up by you or something. So not absolutely needed but nice to have. Check with Ikea, I have the impression that, although they don't show the lift-up hinges separately in the website, they could be bought separately. Or, I think that if you bought the cabinet, it might be possible to just keep the hinges and return the rest of the cabinet. (I think this because I have read how people created custom sized cabinets by putting parts of various standard ones together, then returned the extra pieces.) Someone on the Ikeafans website might know the answer -- or just call Ikea. If the base cabinet on its side isn't the right width for the space, then you could get a 30" tall wall cab with door and another wall cab without door, put the cabs together to fill the whole depth of space. Just carefully measure your dimensions and the dimensions of the cabinets. Return the extra rear wall.
    ...See More

Need creative kitchen layout ideas!! 70s tri-level open concept

Q

Comments (5)
    If you really want help here post a to scale plan nothing in the space except where the windows and doorways are . Where the doorways lead and all meaurements clearly marked and also the sizes of your appliances since I never design a kitchen until the client has chosen appliances and better yet those appliances are already in the garage waiting. IMo lower tha dividinwall to 36" and put in a nice set of drwer cabinets there but I nned the whole plan to scale and the easy way is to use graph paper.
    ...See More

Creative Ideas Needed

Q

Comments (1)
    Everything looks very nice! I always give a big NO to any booze on display. I do not consider it as part of the decor .
    ...See More
  • Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

It seems like since that low wall is angled, that the island should be shaped differently...

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

Since the island has been made, can you put chairs in your kitchen (exactly where your island will be) to represent the corners of your island, then put sheetrock or plywood across it or even a sheet. Same measurements as your island. Place parallel to cabinets first. Take a picture. Then try an angle with your fake island. Post the pics.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great idea. Thank you! It was a long decision to shape the island that way. 2 kitchen designers both said it was the way to go unless I want a huge triangular island and no table. I didn’t want that. It would of taken over my downstairs. To me at least. The old island was angled to face the pony wall and it was an awful use of space. I guess that was more my question for everyone.. what shape/size table can balance off this room? There’s gotta be a way! Positive thinking here! Thank you to everyone who has posted. I truly appreciate the help!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Couple other details.. the current paint color winning the race for the cabs is anew gray. The perimeter countertops are staying. Titanium black. New island top is maple to add warmth. God I hope this comes out good. I’ve waited for years to do this remodel post divorce to make it mine.

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

If you are in the great room, looking into the kitchen through that low wall, any table close to the low wall will be taller than the wall. Place a fake table near the low wall to see what it will look like with benches and a table in front of the wall. Benches may or may not be taller than the wall....not sure. I am guessing that the low wall cannot be raised taller for a built in banquette bench? Maybe an angle like half of a hexagon?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was thinking about a bench with no back? But I can probably raise the pony wall fairly easily. I’d have to ask my contractor.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

I would do one or the other. A table or the island. Not every kitchen needs an island. A table could serve as the casual eating, extra counter space as needed or a buffet.

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

I tried to make it work. I think it would have worked with a right triangle island.

Blue is seating and red is table.

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

This right triangle could have the section below the black line be at chair height.

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

Maybe??? I think I have seen tables with dropped leaves that were triangles. I think they had about a 15" section that was on the top when the leaves were dropped down.

Not much help, I know. The only other thing I could think of was a long narrow table top bolted to the wall with chairs under it. (on the 12 ft wall.) Sort of line the counter seats at an old diner.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Patti! I know the triangle island would of fit well. I just didn’t want that. Everyone facing the prep area with their backs to the family room. When I have just 4 of us having a casual dinner I wanted to face each other. I’m still convinced I can get something to work. I need to tape off the island or use boxes and really get a feel for it. It’s a challenge I know! I almost went with no island and a big kitchen table but I realized I love the island for prepping. As my daughter says.. #firstworldproblems

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

I understand! We have an idea of what works for us and what we can live with. I agree with you about needing an island. You will figure it out, I am sure.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I boxed out the island size and sadly there doesn’t appear to be a way to make the table work.. at least not by the pony wall.

But Katinparadise gave the examples of the table in front of the island. I actually really like it. Very different but why not? I found this I like.. not with two table though. I can forego the island seating but this shows having both. Also snapped a terrible photo of my makeshift island. Tossed the chairs in there for scale. I just can’t see a table fitting. I would dearly appreciated ideas, photos, mockups! Could be a cool, albeit different space!

• Lisa Dipiro
    4 years ago

You have room for table and chairs at the pony wall... move the animal water bowls to end of island near door... don’t need wide table at all

• Lisa Dipiro
    4 years ago

Or put on the flat wall near door sidelight... move the garbage pail

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The trash can is temporary. The new island will have a trash drawer. Yea!

• Lisa Dipiro
    4 years ago

I love my garbage/recycling pail drawer

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

Well...I posted a bunch of unusual shaped tables for you but they disappeared. Last time Houzz did that it took 4 days to appear. It they don't show up, I can post again. I think you CAN have a table if it is the right table.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Patti! I’ll keep an eye out. I need to get this island in and paint the cabs. I have a painter on hold.. and I’m struggling with color. I’m down to these 5 if you have an opinion.. I’m all ears!

• Lisa Dipiro
    4 years ago

Is the backsplash staying? Cut in half put one half near backsplash another near floor. Your backsplash is beige green family floor is grey tones.
    I like the bottom three

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

Is the countertop staying, and what color is it? Does it have veins or show movement at all? Is your tile a crackle tile? What color is the wall paint?

The bottom 3 are close. The center of the three seems lighter but I can't tell any difference between the two on either side of it.

Like Lisa said, please move the samples to the tile and counter area if they are both staying. Snap new pics.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More details would of helped! The countertops are black. Titanium. Backsplash is beige with taupe/Greige undertones. Island countertop will be maple. The wall paint is undecided. The rest of the downstairs is Kilim beige. All white trim. Here’s some other photos. I can take better ones tomorrow when it’s brighter! The lower colors from left to right are agreeable gray, incredible white and shoji. Upper is anew gray and metropolis. With the floor being medium toned I figured I need to go way lighter or darker for contrast. Thanks!

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The floor looks brown compared to the gray paint samples down low.

On the first picture that has a close up of the tiles and counter, I like all 3 colors. (with my monitor)

No matter when you take the pics, you will have shadows. I think I would prefer a cabinet lighter than the floor.

Go with your gut! I forgot..are you keeping the same kinds of light bulbs?

Are you sure you want to paint those pretty wood cabinets? I had painted cabinets when I was younger. Couldn't afford anything else at the time. I am sure some painted cabinets are expensive...but I know I hated trying to keep them clean. The wood grain hides a lot so you can clean them when you have time. Same with white painted baseboards.

LOL...when my teenage daughter was grounded that was a punishment for her...cleaning the white baseboards. (along with pulling weeds from the flower bed.) Very effective for her.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Definitely leaning towards the lightest color. Which is incredible white. And it works with all the extra white trim I have. Believe me.. those cabinets photograph well. They are 20 years old and whole structurally fine.. the finish is worn in many places. I just replaced all the hinges with soft close. Amazing difference for $50! The floor definitely leans brown.. it was so hard to pick new flooring and cabinet paint while keeping existing counters and backsplash. I am getting all new undercounter lighting. Just came in! They are 3000K. And replacing my can lights next. I love the teenage punishment! I made mine scoop dog poop. Brutal!

• hemina
    4 years ago

I haven’t read all the posts closely so pardon me if you’ve already considered this. Since the island had been made, could you add a table height area in a semi circle to the back end? It’s angled enough to see each other without adding a table.

• hemina
    4 years ago

I have no idea why I’m having issues posting pics today!

• hemina
    4 years ago

Here are some ideas...again not sure if this is an option based on what you may have already discussed...

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Hemina! That’s another take on putting the table in front of the island. I do like the round thing.. it softens the lines of the room. If that even makes sense!

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

It is a Houzz problem. It has been happening for a couple of weeks. Pics don't show up for 4 days and typing issues. Others have been having trouble too. I reported it. I am going to post the pics again for you.

Rounded triangle...needs to be straight triangle and benches under your pony wall.

The one below can be made by a cabinet maker. You add legs you buy online.

Folded up against the wall.

older

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

The pic below shows a lower table attached to the island, but you could have it built like this but deeper. Have the top folded on itself (hinged) so you could pull it away from the island, unfold it, move supporting legs under it, then you could sit across from each other.

The white table would be what it looked like under your table if you did a drop leaf vs a table that fold in on itself.

See how this table is folded back on itself? Hinged in the middle, but a support leg or two has to be turned in to support the leaf.

Seen how

IKEA

tis table i

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

This is an trapezoid classroom table, but a wood trapezoid table top could be made and legs attached. A piano hinge or ??? could be used. Keep it folded against the pony wall then unfold and pull away from wall when you need more seating space. Benches underneath.

Just for fun. Check out this table. Not for your space.

Must be expensive

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

I think 3000 is a warm white.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do think an interesting shaped table might work. Hoping the island comes in this week. I can get that installed and move on to painting. Then I can get a good feel for a table. One way or another! I think I’m going with this color scheme. Hoping there’s enough contrast. Shoji white on cabs and anew gray on walls. Or even metropolis. And possibly the metropolis on the island. Although the island will have a maple top so I may keep the cabinets all one color. I was trying to start a new thread with paint colors but the app keeps shutting down. I can comment on an existing but can’t start a new one. Tried everything!

• PRO
    Combs Roofing & Design
    4 years ago

Removing the Pony Wall will give you more options. an upholstered banquette with a oval table like the one suggested earlier.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would love the wall removed. But it’s a step down into the great room and people would fall. And without leveling the floor I really don’t gain any space. Gotta work with what I got.

• Lisa Dipiro
    4 years ago

Lisa yes OR people would push their chair back and fall... have to keep the pony wall

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

That would be a surprise when they pushed back their chairs! The colors look great!

Houzz is having trouble with the app and the website. Many others have posted. They know about it and I guess are working on it.

Hope your island gets in soon!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Patti! Island top is here.. the maple is so light. I just ordered dark Tung oil. Hoping to richen it up a bit. I wanted to post a Tung oil question but I still can’t post a new topic. As soon as I type it out and hit next.. app closes. I’ve reloaded. Deleted and reinstalled. Used a different device. Heck.. I even used my work phone and started a new Houzz account. Same thing. I can add to a current post but nothing new. Frustrating!!!

• Peke (Patti)
    4 years ago

Great! Can't wait to see the island top.

Try updating to the newest app. I have heard that works for some people.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m back!! So much progress :) Painter is coming next week so look past all the wood tones. Still haven’t picked colors. Probably shoji on cabs and black island. Changes with the wind ;) I added a photo with measurements as I still can’t figure out what table layout/if any will work here. And if no table.. I have this empty space. Maybe a bistro? The island will have 3 backless stools. 2 in front and 1 on the end. That way they can be out of the way when not in use. I would love ideas!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh.. and knee wall is only 28 inches high. The great room is a step down. Kitchen guy has suggested beefing it up a few inches.

• auntthelma
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A round table with drop leaves. So it rests flat against the pony wall. When you have more than two people at the table, pull it out and raise the drop leaf. There’s plenty of room.

Burlington 5-Piece Dining Room Set Table, 9" Drop Leaf, 4 Dining Chairs · More Info

• hemina
    3 years ago

I would have oriented the island the other direction to give a little more space between the fridge and edge of the island counter-at least 48”. Then rounded the end of the counter closer to the angled wall, and accommodated dog food bowls in the island.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m relocating the dog bowls to the laundry room. They’re not gonna like it but that’s ok!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Instead of pushing a table up against the knee wall.. wondering how this low back bench would look? I can’t figure out how to insert this photo into my other photo! Not sure about the green.. but the idea of a 26 inch high bench intrigues me..Also, any suggestions as to table material? Would you stick with maple to match the island? So many thanks!!