PresiDementia is not eating in public

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

We never see him eat- actually chewing & swallowing. The risk of choking on food in his windpipe is too high. Aspiration issues are common at this stage with his condition. He probably also makes a mess.

Trump and his entourage fail to eat anything from special vegetarian menu prepared for them on India trip

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/donald-trump-india-vegetarian-menu-samosa-broccoli-modi-gandhi-ashram-a9356666.html

SaveComment114Like3
Comments (114)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheesh(5b)

"He probably also makes a mess." Te he he! Thank you for that, Thor.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
paprikash

TDS

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

DTS

3 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
katrina_ellen

Oh well, coming from "The Independent", anything to stir up TDS.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Eating in public.... more fake news.

NO mess.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

NO mess.

Look in his lap.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
queenmargo

Show me his lap food. Perhaps you have seen his lap, lol

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Back in 2017 his dementia was not at the current stage of slurring words and reading using his finger to mark his place.

2 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

Thor-Can you explain Bernies and Bidens?

Anything to demean Trump is TDS, Trump Demeaning Syndrome.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Ignore the distractions.
We have a president whose irreversible brain damage is causing him the loss of motor control.

9 Likes Save    
Chi

If there isn't a health issue involved, I find that very rude of them not to eat after the efforts gone through to make an appealing menu.

15 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

I wonder when he will be rushed to the next 'stage' of his annual physical exam.

4 Likes Save    
chipotle

Yeah, whatever happened to part 2?

5 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

It will come just before 'stages' 3, 4 and 5.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Drugs or dementia.

Either way, Donnie is certainly eating a lot of something everyday.

Several thousand calories of something from the looks of it.

petalique

Everything’s okay. That second photo looks as though he’s putting an electrical switch into his mouth. After checking with the WH, it turns out to be just a piece of salted Pretzel that Hope Hicks pre-chewed, tested and softened for him. Everyone can relax.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
kadefol

This made me laugh because I try to trick hubby into eating more veggies and have done the cauliflower thing:

Mr Trump’s love of fatty fast food
had got him in trouble back home, it emerged recently. Ronny Jackson,
who worked as the president’s doctor after his election, told the New York Times he had tried to hide the ice cream and mix cauliflower into his mashed potato.

However, efforts to trick the president into a healthier diet
proved unsuccessful as Mr Trump gained enough weight during the year to
tip into the obese category at his last medical examination in February

1 Like Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Maybe he is waiting for part 2 of his annual physical until they find a scale that is weighs low by around 70 pounds.

2 Likes Save    
kadefol

70? More like 100.

Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

I'm picturing him on a platter with an apple in his mouth.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
elvis

The Trumps aren't there for a food tour, you shouldn't let it rattle your cages.

2 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

Yeah, but the pigs are cuter.

sableincal

Maybe the food had not been officially tasted? From what I've read, food has to be tasted by someone in the Secret Service before it's served to a president. Or perhaps the Trumps had seen the article about Kenya putting cat meat in its samosas.

I do think that he should have at least had a cookie.

Annie Deighnaugh

Well he is a germophobe. My old boss travelled to india and refused to eat anything while he was there and would only drink tea insisting that he see the water boiling in the pot before he'd drink it. He may have gone hungry, but he didn't get sick.

floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Refused to eat anything while he was there? How did he survive? Sadly, he missed out by being so pernickety. The food I ate in India was utterly delicious.

HU-885118952

The disregard and callousness towards people actually suffering from dementia is appalling. It cheapens their suffering and that of their families when Trump haters use it as a punchline.

Same goes for those with phobias.

Same goes for those with eating disorders.

Same goes for people with obesity.

And on and on and on.

7 Likes Save    
kadefol

^^ What about the disabled being insulted by trump? And overweight women? And older women? And the various other groups he has insulted/made fun of/marginalized? trump should not be in charge of anything, especially the US.

15 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
foodonastump

The disregard and callousness towards people actually suffering from dementia is appalling. It cheapens their suffering and that of their families when Trump haters use it as a punchline.

I’m sure you feel the same about all forms of mental illness and trust that going forward you’ll reprimand your buddy for his near daily claims of ‘crats all being mentally ill. Thank you in advance.

17 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Too funny about the lap. I'm guessing he hasn't seen his own lap in a long time...

5 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
sjerin

My goodness, how offensive not to eat what you are served, while visiting.

blfenton

I guess KFC or Wendy's (mmm, maybe not) weren't offered as side dishes.

elvis

sjerin

My goodness, how offensive not to eat what you are served, while visiting.

Ah well. I won't put anything into my mouth that I don't care for, I guess that's not just me.

1 Like Save    
Chi

They made apple pie and chocolate chip cookies just for him and the other Americans to make them feel welcome. It would have been polite to take a few bites. Surely he could manage one of the two.

I would be sad and disappointed if I cooked all day making food I thought my guests would like and they refused to even try it.

leona_2008

If this is the way it is for him, all hosts should be informed beforehand that trump will not be attending any formal dinners. This would probably also be considered a snub but it would be much more considerate. I guess everyone around him is too cowed by his toddler mentality to suggest he be considerate of anyone but himself.

Nana H

This is just plain strange. Menus for events like this are run through the pre trip planning teams, discussed and approved. Then again the trip planning team members are probably Obama hold overs disloyal to Trump who deliberately sabotaged the meal.

Ziemia(6a)

About Trump eating.... The two provided photos are of him eating finger food. Any recent photos of 'fork food'?

Him eating nothing was strange - and none of the others eating is strange. But I don't think it violates the Constitution. It's a sign of something but not a violation.

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Those are old photos -- Dementia is a disease that progresses over time.

White House physician Dr. Ronny Jackson admitted to “putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes” so we can assume he is eating puréed food.

I wonder if Hope Hicks puts on his Presidential Bib and feeds him with a silver spoon.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

kadefol ^^ What about

What about your whataboutism?

Save    
HU-885118952

Ah well. I won't put anything into my mouth that I don't care for, I guess that's not just me.

Same here, elvis. I don't care. I'm not eating Hákarl in Iceland or balut in Thailand or anything I don't want to, or can't put into my GI system. Do any of the Trump haters take into consideration that not everyone can just eat whatever, or stray from their diet?

1 Like Save    
cecily 7A

I've attended various events where I held a wineglass without drinking and nibbled a cookie to avoid offending a well meaning host. It's called social skills. On Trump's level, add "diplomacy" to social skills. Melania could cover for him by nibbling and praising the samosas but she doesn't seem to care about his image.

leona_2008

Must. Not. Criticize. Dear. Leader.

Throw away all protocol, rules, wisdom. Empty your minds. trump will tell you how to think.

katrina_ellen

This must be some kind of diversionary thread, you folks can't be that bitter can you?

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

cecily 7A ' I've
attended various events where I held a wineglass without drinking and
nibbled a cookie to avoid offending a well meaning host. It's called
social skills"

Too bad that some folks lack the confidence to let their own wants and needs be known. Hold a wine glass and not drink? Why on God's green earth would anyone who doesn't consume alcohol do that? It's 2020!

Eat something you dislike or can't tolerate? Who does that?

This is often a matter of health and I'd hate to be your guest, being brow beat to please you at a dinner party!

What strikes me is the infantilizing of India's leader. I'm sure he's more worldly than to think everyone will eat and enjoy his vegan offerings, or can tolerate spices and levels of heat they normally do not or cannot. I'm quite certain India's leader is capable of offering western food to westerners as a good host.

1 Like Save    
graywings123(7)

I'm quite certain India's leader is capable of offering western food to westerners as a good host.

Not when that food comes from animals considered sacred.

1 Like Save    
Chi

"I'm quite certain India's leader is capable of offering western food to westerners as a good host."

And they did, if you read the article. Apple pie and chocolate chip cookies, specifically to appeal to Western tastes. And we all know Trump isn't some health nut that avoids sweets.

These menus are prepared in advance. If it was full of stuff Trump couldn't eat for one reason or another, they wouldn't have served it.

It's just rude to go to a banquet thrown in your honor and not eat a single thing. Surely there was *something* he could try. I'd think the same if Obama acted like that too.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I'm quite certain India's leader is capable of offering western food to westerners as a good host.

That’s what you’d expect to be served when dining abroad in a different cultural area? Western food? How provincial.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

I agree, there is no way a menu for an event like that would be put together without passing it by the guests of honor. . That aside , I think guests who have a very " selective palate" have an obligation to advise their host of any strong dislikes , dietary preference and of course allergies.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

This must be some kind of diversionary thread, you folks can't be that bitter can you?

LOL- here is where everyone is, lol lol.... the debate must have been a real gut punch for many. I was soooooo amused!

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Debates are not the only way to learn about the candidates. For me, it is interesting to see why people give such import to them. (And I am not saying they are unimportant.)

As in, the Dem debates are apparently **very** fascinating to *some* Trump supporters.

Save    
HU-885118952

That aside , I think guests who have a very " selective palate" have an
obligation to advise their host of any strong dislikes , dietary
preference and of course allergies.

Of course and that's what staff are for. This wasn't Trump's first rodeo, but somehow, India was assumed to disregard our President's dietary requests like they're some Banana Republic. Really?

But what's really interesting is how much focus there is on Trump's colon, vs. the Dem debates and race. Very interesting.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

That’s what you’d expect to be served when dining abroad in a different cultural area? Western food? How provincial.

I said, "capable". How incapable of parsing a sentence!

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

I'd had to be a dinner party guest of a Trump hater!

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

All they got is to attack Trump. Running on nothing but hate for Trump.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

I didn't watch the Dem debate, but I'm sure interested in how Trump once again throws a toddler tantrum on the world stage and refuses to taste anything that didn't cater to his exact specifications.

1 Like Save    
cecily 7A

There seem to be plenty of Republicans on this thread and none are on topic. The personal attack against me is uncalled for. My opinion remains that Trump is a boor.

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

If you had watched the debate you would have had your fill of toddlers throwing tantrums on a stage...

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Bet ya wish you could SOB this entire election cycle dont ya?

I also eat food to appear polite. Sometimes I just stir it on my plate. Once I fed a fern significant amounts of vodka..

Save    
foodonastump

I said, "capable".

Fine. Capable. But why the heck would he do that? Cooking someone’s native food might be a nice gesture for a homesick college kid, but odd for one formal dinner.

1 Like Save    
katrina_ellen

Maybe he avoided the sour grapes?

Save    
HU-885118952

Fine. Capable. But why the heck would he do that? Cooking someone’s
native food might be a nice gesture for a homesick college kid, but odd
for one formal dinner.

Weaponizing food is unhealthy and inhospitable. Some folks are open to new cuisine adventures and others are not. Some folks can't tolerate a change in diet. Hosts should reserve judgement either way.

Save    
Chi

Weaponizing food is unhealthy and inhospitable. Some folks are open to new cuisine adventures and others are not. Some folks can't tolerate a change in diet. Hosts should reserve judgement either way.

Apple pie and chocolate chip cookies are not new cuisine adventures. Even if he didn't want to eat traditional Indian food, he could have eaten those. As for weaponizing food, that's exactly what Trump is doing. It's a snub, and a very rude one at that.

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Weaponizing food is unhealthy and inhospitable.

OMG this has gotten way too melodramatic for me. Later!

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

The reaction to anything critical of Donnie is always the same.

Donnie= mama papa and Jesus rolled into one.

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Anyone mentioning the criminal activity of Dear Leader is just bitter.

5 Likes Save    
HU-806720425

Tandoori chicken. Aloo Gobi, Basmati rice and nan. That’s it, I’m going out for Indian tonight.

Trump. pandering to Indian-American voters with that campaign trip was pretty funny.

Annie Deighnaugh

If I eat Indian, I'm having Dosa!

Good grief he's the president of the USA. It's a state dinner. One might presume that the etiquette would be of a somewhat higher order.

But then isn't Mr. Trump famously afraid of tampering with his food, which is why he prefers takeout fast food? Perhaps he was trying to avoid the possibility of poisoning?

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Why they stockpile packages of Oreo cookies.

He won't eat from a previously open package.

1 Like Save    
elvis

graywings123(7)

Not when that food comes from animals considered sacred.

Goat was served at the state dinner.

The press was not invited, therefore there are no reports on which dishes the Trumps sampled. Obviously, Schiff wasn't there, or it would have been leaked to the press by now.

The dainties that the Trumps did not sample were those offered at the afternoon tea. It was declared by those who did try them, that the broccoli samosas were truly odious, thank goodness the Trumps eschewed them.

That is all.

1 Like Save    
how2girl

Best that they avoided the broccoli samosas, Airforce 1 would not have been a pleasant experience.

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Have any of you ever traveled in India?

I have.

The very first thing you learn is that eating the food is going to be getting you into trouble.

Takes just a day or two of eating their food to find that out.

It's a filthy country with rampant diarrhea. If you can find any way to avoid the food, you'll do it. If you don't, then you're a fool.

https://archive.indiaspend.com/indias-great-challenge-health-sanitation/about-321-indian-children-died-every-day-of-diarrhoea-in-2015-reflecting-basic-health-failures-45116

"Despite progress in preventing diarrhoea and the spread of medical remedies in India, diarrhoea remains the second leading cause of death in children under five years, killing an estimated 321 children every day in 2015, according to a May 2017 factsheet by the World Health Organisation(WHO).

The prevalence of diarrhoea, a disease easily preventable through clean sanitation, safe drinking water and hygiene, shows how India is still grappling with providing basic amenities to its citizens."

It's a filthy country.

Avoid the food.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Just the facts that someone doesn't want you to see.

Why would someone want to do that?

https://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/05/14/indias-deadly-diarrhea-problem/

"For many people, a case of diarrhea means a visit to the doctor, a course of medication or eating bland food for a few days. Yet diarrhea is still the second biggest killer of children globally, with more than 800,000 under-fives dying every year according to Unicef.

A quarter of these deaths occur in India. Hundreds of thousands more children in the country are hospitalized and permanently stunted from the disease."

Hay

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

It's a filthy country.

Avoid the food.

I am not going ;)

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Why would someone not want you to know this?

"The World Health Organization estimates that rotavirus leads to the death of 450,000 children worldwide every year. India is the worst affected, with an estimated 98,000 deaths a year. Even if children don’t die, the diarrheal illness due to rotavirus can be severe, resulting in rapid dehydration, metabolic disturbances and possible long-term consequences of malnutrition and a damaged gut."

Hay

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Yeah I’m sure they’d be serving him filthy street food. And when we refer to him as a child it’s because he acts like one not because he actually is one.

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

"I am not going ;)"

If you do have to go, don't eat the food.

Also, don't travel on their public buses. They're literally full of people coughing.

These are the facts. I was there to see it with my own eyes.

The air is so polluted that you hesitate to take a breath.

I've stood on a street corner in Delhi and could barely see the red light in the next block.

I've seen people huddled around a burning tire to keep warm in the middle of Delhi.

Don't eat the food if you can avoid it.

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

"Yeah I’m sure they’d be serving him filthy street food."

You're so brave.

Have you ever traveled in India?

Did you ask the waiter if he washed his hands before he brought the dish to you?

Hay

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

If you do have to go, don't eat the food.

I can't imagine a reason that I would have to go to India. What brought you to go there Hay?

Save    

Haha - as if that man ever rode a bus!

So helpful to know how some folks seem to understand and define international diplomacy.

And apparently expect the POTUS to act like a lout.

2 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

"I can't imagine a reason that I would have to go to India. What brought you to go there Hay?"

This goes back a while.

I found myself free and decided to travel a bit. I figured that since I was still young and healthy, I could save the more civilized parts of the world for later and hit the third world countries first.

So, I went to India.

As soon as I landed in Delhi, I knew it was trouble. The air really is thick with pollution.

I know firsthand what it's like.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Not to mention the fear and disgust with anything 'fur-enn'.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

"Haha - as if that man ever rode a bus!"

Smart thing to do.

Avoid the bus.

Avoid the food.

Do what's needed and get out of there as quickly as you can.

Hay

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

How many times did Obama go to India and eat the food?

ETA: OK I googled. Obama went twice, once in 2010 and once in 2015.

It did not say if he ate anything.

Save    
Chi

Here's one article for you:

https://food.ndtv.com/news/president-barack-obama-in-india-heres-what-he-ate-733887

And from Newsweek:

"Former President Barack Obama visited India in 2010 where he enjoyed Indian dishes like chicken shami kebab, achari fish tikka and pista murgh. Obama visited again in 2015, when he dined on mustard fish curry, gushtaba and achari paneer."

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Save    
elvis

I won't go to India for the same reason I won't go to NYC. Too many people crowded together, day in and day out. Too much crime, too much filth, too much noise. Shrug. They won't miss little ole me.

Save    
foodonastump

Thor - At first split second glance I thought you posted something like

Save    
foodonastump

There's a name for that condition.

Allergic rhinitis?

Save    
Chi

I just don't understand the comparison of a single traveler X number of years ago to what the President would experience on an official visit.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

It's not easy coming up with dozens of nonsensical posts.

5 Likes Save    
elvis

You want a pat on the back? Have no fear, we appreciate your efforts, you're very good at it.

2 Likes Save    

Always interested in staying up to date on the latest from Bizarro World...

1 Like Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I traveled and stayed in India for four months. I did not get diarrhea, ate the local food wherever I went, although mostly in hotels, restaurants and private homes. I stayed in New Delhi for only a few days after arriving and before leaving India, and the rest was spent in a more northern part of India, and that might make a difference. The people I stayed with were extremely clean. It's always dangerous to generalize or to assume your experiences are the only ones that are valid.

6 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Ingrid:

"It's always dangerous to generalize or to assume your experiences are the only ones that are valid."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/04/india/delhi-smog-pollution-explainer-intl/index.html

Thu November 14, 2019

"A potent combination of pollutants, agricultural practices, weather conditions, and geography has shrouded India's capital in a toxic, throat-searing cloud of brown smog.

The dangerous levels of pollution have prompted authorities in New Delhi to declare a public health emergency, diverting planes, forcing schools to shutter, halting construction, and instituting new traffic controls limiting the number of cars on the road.

Most residents who can afford to are staying home with air purifiers turned on, though working class Delhiites are left with little choice but to venture outside -- many of them without masks.

New Delhi has been ranked the most polluted city in the world, but the air quality this week has been exceptionally bad -- rising to levels more than 20 times what the World Health Organization (WHO) considers "safe."

India is home to 22 of the top 30 most polluted cities, according to a study in March by Greenpeace and AirVisual."

India is a filthy place.

Just the facts, Ma'am.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Thor:

"Not to mention the fear and disgust with anything 'fur-enn'."

Trump seems to be always on your mind.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Thor:

"It's not easy coming up with dozens of nonsensical posts."

Funny.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Thor:

"Not to mention the fear and disgust with anything 'fur-enn'."

What's "fur-enn"?

"It's not easy coming up with dozens of nonsensical posts."

Hay

Save    
shaxhome(Frog Rock, Australia 9b)

I lived in India and Bhutan for 5 years, and have travelled there maybe a dozen times in the previous few decades. Not once have I ever suffered from diarrhea there. IME, that's reserved for the tourists who ensconce themselves in the western style hotels (just like home!), wash their hands hourly with Dettol, demand pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast and take short day-trips in luxury, air-conditioned and hermetically sealed Volvo buses. Just one whiff of the atmosphere will engulf them.

To address the straw-man from the hayseed man, yes, there is huge pollution throughout the country. But what can be expected from a population 4 times that of the USA in a country one third of the size? That's an increased ratio of 12:1. Imagine if your street (and every street throughout the country) suddenly had 12 times the population. But as far as I know, pollution does not equal diarrhea.

Some years ago, I made a business trip to the USA. I was so excited as I flew in to LA. As soon as I walked out to the cab-rank, I started coughing. Eyes watering. Breathing laboured. Couldn't see across the road for the smog that I could have cut with a knife. I had my meetings that evening and caught the first flight out.

Next day, Orlando, FL. It has to be the most soulless city in the world. Artificial and shallow. I had a meeting with the manager of a major theme park. He dragged me into a cafeteria for lunch, proudly boasting that the smoked ribs were his personal recipe and that I must try them. Of course I obliged. Within minutes I began to vomit and was pushed into a taxi to return to my hotel, where I spent the next 2 days with more vomiting, diarrhea, headaches and pleading to die. Eventually high-tailed it out of there into NY.

The cab from the airport to my hotel was disgustingly dirty. The driver could only speak in rude grunts, although he was happy to show me the revolver he kept inches from his hand. Finally eating again, albeit delicately, that night at dinner I asked for a salad. The waiter said "you don't want that, it's just green stuff! How much chicken fat do you want on your steak?" NJ the next day was no better. I returned home a couple of days later, much chastened.

So my advice to any of you planning to visit the USA? Don't.

It's riddled with life-threatening smog, the food will poison you, the taxis are dirty, their drivers are unfriendly, both likely carry deadly diseases, and everybody carries a gun.

Filthy, dangerous, soulless and unhealthy.

But surely that's not a reflection of the whole country, is it?

I'm returning to India in April, and cannot wait to eat the delicious food, see the (still!) astonishing sights, imbibe the millennia-old culture and enjoy the company of my friends in their homes, where "guest is god".

5 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

shax

It's nice you have a different story.

"Not once have I ever suffered from diarrhea there. IME, that's reserved for the tourists who ensconce themselves in the western style hotels (just like home!),"

Try explaining that to the Indians who watch their kids die from diarrhea every year. It's not at all that it is just solely my impression of India.

https://archive.indiaspend.com/indias-great-challenge-health-sanitation/about-321-indian-children-died-every-day-of-diarrhoea-in-2015-reflecting-basic-health-failures-45116

"Despite progress in preventing diarrhoea and the spread of medical remedies in India, diarrhoea remains the second leading cause of death in children under five years, killing an estimated 321 children every day in 2015, according to a May 2017 factsheet by the World Health Organisation(WHO).

The prevalence of diarrhoea, a disease easily preventable through clean sanitation, safe drinking water and hygiene, shows how India is still grappling with providing basic amenities to its citizens."

What motivates you to try downplaying that?

Hay

Save    
Chi

Well, I enjoyed hearing the perspective of someone who actually lived there for a few years.

ETA: there were several posts before this that have poofed

Save    
haydayhayday

Chi:

"Well, I enjoyed hearing the perspective of someone who actually lived there for a few years.

ETA: there were several posts before this that have poofed"

Yes, indeed, some people are determined that only one voice gets heard in this conversation.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Here you go.

shax

It's nice you have a different story.

"Not once have I ever suffered from diarrhea there. IME, that's reserved for the tourists who ensconce themselves in the western style hotels (just like home!),"

Try explaining that to the Indians who watch their kids die from diarrhea every year. It's not at all that it is just solely my impression of India.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

And the followup:

"New Delhi has been ranked the most polluted city in the world, but the air quality this week has been exceptionally bad -- rising to levels more than 20 times what the World Health Organization (WHO) considers "safe."

India is home to 22 of the top 30 most polluted cities, according to a study in March by Greenpeace and AirVisual."

These are the facts.

Your petty little silly game doesn't change the facts.

India is a filthy polluted country.

Children die because of it.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Hard to imagine why anyone would want to keep YOU from seeing that.

Someone is determined that only one voice should be heard.

Makes conversation rather difficult around here.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Shax:

"Not once have I ever suffered from diarrhea there. IME, that's reserved for the tourists who ensconce themselves in the western style hotels (just like home!), wash their hands hourly with Dettol, demand pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast and take short day-trips in luxury, air-conditioned and hermetically sealed Volvo buses. Just one whiff of the atmosphere will engulf them."

That certainly does not describe my visit to India.

I traveled with a backpack and rode the same buses and trains that the locals used. Ate the same food they did. Used the same filthy toilets that they did. Stepped over dung in the streets just like they did. Breathed the polluted air just like they did. Listened to the persistent coughing all around me like they did.

I think you may have exaggerated a bit there.

Just a small bit.

hay

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Shax, try Virginia on your next visit, I haven't been to NY but when returning from Ca and Fla it was always good to get back home to our sweet clean Virginia breeze, good food, and friendly folks.

1 Like Save    
Chi

Hay, if you avoided saying things like "Your petty little silly game doesn't change the facts," your posts might be flagged less. Could be seen as a personal attack.

Save    
haydayhayday

"Hay, if you avoided saying things like "Your petty little silly game doesn't change the facts," your posts might be flagged less. Could be seen as a personal attack."

How would you have chosen to characterize this:

""Not once have I ever suffered from diarrhea there. IME, that's reserved for the tourists who ensconce themselves in the western style hotels (just like home!), wash their hands hourly with Dettol, demand pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast and take short day-trips in luxury, air-conditioned and hermetically sealed Volvo buses. Just one whiff of the atmosphere will engulf them."

I think he may have been responding to my comments.

Hay

Save    
Chi

"How would you have chosen to characterize this:"

As someone else's opinion/experience. You seem to value multiple opinions so I don't see the problem.

Save    
haydayhayday

Chi:

"How would you have chosen to characterize this:"

As someone else's opinion/experience. You seem to value multiple opinions so I don't see the problem."

"Your petty little silly game doesn't change the facts,"

My most humble opinion.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

"Not once have I ever suffered from diarrhea there. IME, that's reserved for the tourists who ensconce themselves in the western style hotels (just like home!), wash their hands hourly with Dettol, demand pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast and take short day-trips in luxury, air-conditioned and hermetically sealed Volvo buses. Just one whiff of the atmosphere will engulf them."

Say it all you want. Safely knowing that I won't make it disappear.

I welcome other opinions.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Funny:

Hay:

"That certainly does not describe my visit to India.

I traveled with a backpack and rode the same buses and trains that the locals used. Ate the same food they did. Used the same filthy toilets that they did. Stepped over dung in the streets just like they did. Breathed the polluted air just like they did. Listened to the persistent coughing all around me like they did.

I think you may have exaggerated a bit there.

Just a small bit."

Funny.

I should have added:

And I got the same diarrhea that they got.

It's not fun.

Hay

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Travel by Design Enjoy Plantings, Eat Bugs and Learn at the Australian Garden Show
Indulge your senses at this four-day celebration of gardening, food and more in Sydney — and don't forget to try the crickets
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Architect’s House Balances Public and Private Space
This Tokyo home’s clever layout creates inviting spots for both family and clients, and maximizes riverside views
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Does Your Garden Welcome Wildlife Visitors With Something to Eat?
Learn which flowers and plants provide essential food for pollinators and other beneficial wildlife
Full Story