State Dept overrules CDC putting 300 people on airline at risk.

Kathy

https://twitter.com/politicususa/status/1232130703254605826?s=21

Trump claims he didn’t know they flew people with Coronavirus on plan with 300 other passengers.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/coronavirus-patients-flew-to-us-after-cdc-explicitly-recommended-against-it/

CDC didn’t want 14 coronavirus patients flown to US—it was overruled

State Dept. overruled health experts amid unexpected test results, report says.

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

He's so smart. /not

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Trump Sid he didn’t know bout the people on the plane and it’s going to make his administration look bad. Does he care about the w00 other people and the risk to,spreading the disease. Even the military base in Alabama was caught off guard. The hospitals weren’t prepared.

Save    
Kathy

Trump won’t be telling us about the Coronavirus in US.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Trump Sid he didn’t know bout the people on the plane and it’s going to make his administration look bad

Kind of explains Trump's multiple bankruptcies -- he doesn't know how much he doesn't know.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

He doesn’t admit what he knows if it turns out bad. Just like he doesn’t admit knowing Parnas and others.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Remain calm! Please keep buying stocks!

The President maintained his sunny optimism about the virus that is showing signs of spreading around the world from its Chinese epicenter and is already having a huge impact on global commerce.

"I think that's a problem that's going to go away," Trump said during a trip to India, expressing confidence that the epidemic will not seriously harm the global economy.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Also from the WP:

FTA: President Trump grew furious with senior advisers this week over a decision to allow 14 Americans who tested positive for coronavirus to return to the United States from Japan after being assured that infected patients would remain in quarantine overseas, according to administration officials.

FTA: Trump was briefed on the decision and agreed that healthy passengers should not be on the plane with sick ones, three senior administration officials said. But the State Department and a top U.S. health official ultimately decided to bring back the 14 Americans who tested positive for the virus on the planes and place them in isolation — without informing the president first.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-was-not-told-coronavirus-infected-americans-would-be-flown-home-from-cruise-ship/2020/02/21/ae58b24c-54be-11ea-b119-4faabac6674f_story.html

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Thanks adoptedbyhounds, and here's an archived link to the Washington Post article linked above, if some need to get past the pay wall.

https://archive.ph/zq8iS

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Chipotle, i do not believe the administration is prepared because Trump has spent years enacting policies and that have weakened the U.S. government’s ability to prepare for and respond to an outbreak like this one, both in the U.S. and abroad. Then there is the problem of lack of officials in charge to to enact policies.

There is a possibility cases have gone undetected in US.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/what-we-know-about-the-trump-admins-response-to-coronavirus.html

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Heard a discussion on the radio. Not sure how to verify it. The passengers were quarantined with a drape of plastic dividing them. Also, non infected passengers had to walk through the quarantined area to get to the bathrooms. I will see if I can find anything on this. This was supposedly from a passenger that was not tested positive that was on the flight.

Save    
Kathy

I would like to know who decided this was okay. State dept and a health official.

Save    
Wants to Grow

I would like to know who decided this was okay. State dept and a health official.

Hi Kathy, My money is on a Democratic saboteurs, who are looking to politicize the coronavirus.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

WTG, give me a break. I don’t think they would sabotage our health. If anything the Dems are the whistleblowers for all the budget cuts for global health. Trump is the cheapest POTUS when it comes to anything he doesn’t need, he will spend money only when it benefits him. He is in a pickle now. He blamed Pompeo if he’s blaming the State Dept and it won’t be long until Pompeo speaks out if that’s the case.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Elvis, I beg your pardon. We are not filled with glee. We are filled with disgust for the choices Trump has made because he is so incompetent and ignorant of the real world.

6 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

How are those threads gleeful?

These are facts:

The S&P 500 is down more than 3% in the second day of the coronavirus market sell-off.

The 500 stock index fell 3.35% on Monday.

The last time the S&P 500 fell more than 3% two days in a row was in November of 2008 during the financial crisis.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Thanks adoptedbyhounds, and here's an archived link to the Washington Post article linked above, if some need to get past the pay wall."

You are welcome, mudhouse.

As a reluctant subscriber to WAPO, which I pay for out of my own pocket, I have to laugh when dems lecture me on "expanding" my news sources.

Elvis, I beg your pardon. We are not filled with glee. We are filled with disgust for the choices Trump has made because he is so incompetent and ignorant of the real world.

Where have you been???

President Trump fully recognized the dangers of allowing potential carriers of dangerous viruses into the US when he tried to prevent people from countries rampant with Ebola virus from entering our country. Temporary blocks of his authority were cheered on the left. They called it a "Muslim Ban."

Instead of backing down, Trump continued to go to court. Failure to do so would have been negligent.

The SCOTUS eventually upheld the president's authority to limit travel to the US, with a more limited travel ban. Far from being "incompetent" he has been persistent in his efforts to keep viruses from entering the US in the first place. I find it interesting that the left was so negligent about protecting Americans from Ebola, but now faults the President as "not doing enough," when just a few years ago, they had no interest in keeping Ebola out of the US.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Adopted, you are going to be sorry when you or yours are prevented from coming home to first world medical care. If we cant care for our own but abandon them in foreign countries where they might not even qualify for medical care because they didn't buy the special insurance, then what? Let them die. And that could be you if you ever travel anywhere or some family member of yours.

Plus your depiction of Trumps ban is a fantasy. His ban was a Muslim ban and it had nothing to do with Ebola.

3 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

Ebola was not considered a world threat by the time TRump became president. He wasn't awarded the Muslim ban he wanted and there was no ensuing outbreak of Ebola in the US. The CDC didn't play guessing games and the US, under Obama, cooperated with all world governments to keep Ebola under control. "Cooperation" is an activity that this administration has decided against.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump criticized Obama when he sent 3000 troops to help fight Ebola. Cutting off countries doesn’t really stop diseases. There are Americans right now going to and fro numerous countries. They could conceivably be carriers when they return to US from Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and more. Trump just uses whatever excuse he can find to exclude muslims, blacks and anyone not white or wealthy.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Disaster Prep & Recovery How to Prepare for and Live With a Power Outage
When electricity loss puts food, water and heat in jeopardy, don't be in the dark about how to stay as safe and comfortable as possible
Full Story
Most Popular From Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
Resilience How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story