SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wlllowhousesouth

Piano has to fit in Small house/ furniture placement issues

The W house
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Not sure my image uploaded, i don't see it so I'll post it in the comments section.I have inherited a piano that was a great- gramdmothers. My mother will be highly offended if I got rid of it, she basically told me I can't. It's lived in her garage for the past 30 years as she had no room for it, she's redoing her garage and says I have to take it now. Before that, it was in my childhood home growing up, my siblings and I played, as well as my mother. Before that, all my grandmothers 7 siblings played it. There is only ONE place in the entire house it can go. No other options. The ONLY wall it can live on is an entry wall that is just past the front door, and at the end of the open dining room. My delima is, the current armoire, that the piano will replace (SEE PICTURE), is not as long as the piano. Piano is 11 inches longer. On that same wall, under the mirror at entry way, is a bench I love, and WON'T get rid of, but... i'm concerned about having 2 long peices on that same wall. I have thought of using the bench under the piano, I think it will fit , however it is higher than a typical piano bench. If it doesn't fit or look right, i'm concerned about having them on the same wall. The current armoire was originally bought for a bedroom room, but couldn't get it to make a turn into the room, it was never supposed to go where it is, its scale is a bit bulky for the room however, we do like it and use it as an office space. It was bought off craigslist and is handmade very solid and sturdy and my husband loves the peice, he's not happy about getting rid of it, however there's no sentimental value, i keep reminding myself. We have gotten use to the armoire there, i think our eye is used to the bulkiness of it, because at first I wasn't happy it had to live there, it is functional, stores stuff I use, and is also an office. But we have no other choice now, so it's having to go and be replaced by the piano. The piano is lower than the armoire but longer in width. It's not as deep so won't stick out as much by about 2-3 inches. It's an old player upright and similar color of the armoire. Said all that, to get thoughts on if having the bench and piano on the same wall is too much? You can see from the other pictures where the wall ends and goes into the next room, the living room for scale of wall. Thank you!

Comments (80)

• The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If it looks good in the spot, and doesn't smell, i am sure i will treasureit it more than the craigslist armoire find. I can move my office spot to another room, and pair down on storing items. My main concern is will it look right in space.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Before it’s moved in, get a good photo of it (or find one online) and someone smarter then I am can photoshop it in your space.

Have your mother call me, I’ll be happy to tell her she shouldn’t burden you with it. 🙂

• Related Discussions

1st Home Furniture Arrangement! Small, high-traffic sunken living room

Q

Comments (11)
    Definitely no to two conversation areas, but yes to opening it up and taking advantage of the entire space. I'm not sure how far you are on your selections, but Ethan Allen offers Complementary Design services with your purchase, and I can honestly say working one on one with someone to create a tailored, cohesive space for you down to the exact measurements and circulation of a space plan is very valuable for pieces you want to own and fit for a long time. If you want more info, you can PM me. Otherwise, good luck with your space and congratulations on your new home! I like the idea of sofa + 2 chairs or Sectional + 1 or 2 small chairs.... not everything has to match, just balance well!
    ...See More

grand piano placement etc

Q

Comments (21)
    If it were me I would angle it in the opening with the keyboard at one end of the windows and the lid opening such that the strings are exposed out towards the room for the best sound (see fi picture as example). As for piano size, a baby grand is probably fine but go with your heart. I have my mom's 110 year old Chickering Grand in brown finish and it hasn't faded a bit even though its in my very bright foyer. Black is lovely too. Congrats on the purchase! You will love it!
    ...See More

Livingroom furniture placement in a small bungalow.

Q

Comments (20)
    Keep in mind any tv facing windows will be hampered by glare for daylight viewing…another common problem…in my view…is to to line the furniture along the wall in a space that is already long and narrow…ideally the tv could angled in the corner where the lamp is…with the couch facing it…at the same angle….creating a feeling of separateness for the “ living room” …next …a table against the back wall (where the tall roundtable is) with stools or chairs ….will leave room for a traffic pattern…and the cove could be used as the “office”
    ...See More

Home Office Switch and Furniture Placement

Q

Comments (8)
    You said you're open to ideas, so without having measurements, here's a possibility: The desk looks small in front of the window but if that's where your husband wants to be, you can float the 4 chairs in a circle in the center, keep the chandelier and bookcase where they are now and place a coffee table underneath the chandelier. Make sure it's on a dimmer switch. The desk cords are very visible on the floor, it might help make them less conspicuous by placing a grouping in front of the desk and anchoring it with a rug. If the drapes are partially covering the sides of the window, pull them back to open up the view and make a tidier drapery stack. This could a great office/library space. In the dining area, consider moving the buffet in front of the window so you can create more circulation around the table and pull it off the fireplace more. Of course, if you do that, you'll want to be sure it looks OK from outside too.
    ...See More
  • Tootsie
    4 years ago

Maybe the family jewels are hidden in there!??

The W house thanked Tootsie
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is a very similar style and color

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Great now we need to find the smarter then me photoshop person (everyone is smarter then I am).

Years ago, I was having a hard time imagining window treatments. A helpful, smart person (squirrelhavin) photoshopped my room with numerous opinions, I still thank her. And miss her here.

The W house thanked maddielee
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I don't know how anyone could object to donating. My mother is a professional pianist and has taught lessons for over 60 years. It's not unheard of for students to desperately want to take lessons, but have little more than a simple keyboard on which to practice. Donating could be the answers to a future concert pianist's prayers.

No affiliation, and I know nothing about this place, but here's a site that makes it look painless:

The Beethoven Foundation

The W house thanked IdaClaire
  • jmm1837
    4 years ago

I would not accept the piano. If it's that important to your mother, tell her to post on Houzz asking for advice about where she should put it in HER house.

The W house thanked jmm1837
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are more of similar

Brown Residence · More Info

Brown Residence · More Info

• mgs137
    4 years ago

I'd be surprised if getting that piano into playable condition doesn't cost your mom several thousand dollars. We are having a 1915 grand piano from my husband's childhood repaired and it was stored in a house and very well cared for (altho tuned rarely and not really played)... $6500 that's costing us, lol... but we do want it. I think the piano would look fine in place of the armoire. :)

The W house thanked mgs137
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@IdaClaire, that's a very good thought! I like the thought of a child getting it.

I'm not sure why my mother is so dead set on giving it away. There are tons of them on craigslist, so they aren't hard to find. Not sure when this was made. I know all the siblings in my grandmother's family signed the sides of the keys. My mother doesn't save much of anything. Threw most of our stuff away from our childhood didn't save for us, so there's a reason, i guess . When i tell her there's no way it can work, all she says is "she did her part on holding onto it and now it's my turn."

I figure I'll try, if It might work?? I'm not too happy about it, but maybe it will look better than the armoire in that spot? If my grown sons don't want it one day I have no problem donating. I my grandmother would be happy to know it was donated.

• HU-161159613
    4 years ago

follow

• The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

SO...now trying to get thoughts on if I can make it look good where the armoire is??😁🤔

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I would put money on its being ruined. My friend bought an old piano with other furniture (the owner sold it as a lot and wouldn't break it down to single items.) She took it apart and sold the decorative wood to a crafter who made good use of it as new furniture. If it has a pretty carved section, use it as a wall hung piece of art (insist your mom hang it in her home.) The keyboard section, when closed and with the legs, can be attached to the wall as a console table. The ends are probably simple but good wood for other home decor projects. I've also seen the interior "guts" of a piano hung up as art.

The W house thanked decoenthusiaste
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@mgs137, yikes that is pricey! I know 40 years ago when my got it they paid to ship it, tune and it restained. She might think twice if she gets those numbers. My husband won't pay a dime to get it or tuned/ fixed. If it will look good on wall, I've come to terms with removing the armoire. Hoping will look nice in the space and close proximity to the long bench.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Oh lord. It's not a piano. It's an albatross. ;-D

I wish you the best with whatever you decide. Family "dynamics" can be tough, so while it's quite easy for me (and others) to sit here and tell you to "woman up" and stop letting your mom decide, I think most of us recognize that family relationships are often fraught with reasonings and "logic" that oftentimes makes absolutely no sense to those looking in from outside.

So. Could the piano work in place of the armoire? Yes. I think it could. I would probably center it on the wall (move the bench elsewhere) and perhaps flank it on both sides by accent chairs. In other words, try to make it look as intentional as possible, and not merely like, "Oh, hey, here's a piano and here's where we plopped it."

I'm betting too on the cost to fix the darn thing up being prohibitively absurd, and thus the decision may be made for you ... in your favor, I might add.

The W house thanked IdaClaire
  • BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    4 years ago

If it's been stored improperly, which sounds likely if it were in a garage, the soundingboard may well be cracked or dried out, which would mean it'll need repair and/or an oil soak, you might need to replace some of the pins, as well.

If it can't be fixed to its former glory, would you mother consider it becoming something else? if It'll never truly be a piano again, perhaps it could be a cabinet if the wood is decent enough. Or maybe just save the signed keys and have them framed up in a shadow box with a picture of great-grandma?

The W house thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste, I like those suggestions! Love The guts and keyboard! No carving. It's simple lines, has bouble doors that open to the player part. It is a player, so plays sheet music, but you have to pump the peddles to play the music.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

It’s a player piano? ???

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Since it is a player, it might be more valuable if you want to market it. It might also be possible to upgrade the player so it can be electric and not need to be peddled. Perhaps the original could be left intact as well.

The W house thanked decoenthusiaste
  • doods
    4 years ago

And who knows your great grandmother might not want it to be causing a problem for you!

The W house thanked doods
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Ah the great piano caper! I have had a similar experience but with a really good piano. I ended up selling it to a young girl who really wanted to learn to play and her family couldn't afford a piano. I sold it for what the Dad told me they could do. It was bittersweet but I rested well, because that girl got the piano I dreamed of as a child and never had. So, you could "donate it" once it is repaired, but that repair is going to be WAY beyond it's value. So, what price will be too much to be reasonable. Plus, today's young ones, want "keyboards" not furniture type pianos. They don't take up as much room, and they have electronic features to create "base background sound", etc. So, hoping you don't bring that into your home. If it was some unique, hand made, highly sought antique, I might figure out how to successfully store it. Might be worth renting a small storage unit! Does your mother visit you often?

The W house thanked Flo Mangan
  • LDJHouston
    4 years ago

The main value of any family "heirloom" is in the heart of the recipient. My husband has boxes of old Lionel trains that he and his dad used in their basement; we've stored them in the attic for 45 years now. Never had a place for our kids to play with them, have never taken them out for any of the grandkids - but he won't get rid of them because they are "valuable". In truth the heat and humidity have probably ruined them for a genuine collector.

If you thought that piano would evoke fond memories, or (pardon me) spark joy, you probably would have rescued it years ago, even if it took multiple attempts. This is not a set of china that you can store in a cupboard - don't be guilted into taking it if you don't want it. Search on Houzz for stories about inherited items and how to reconcile disposing of them:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/inherited-pieces-embrace-the-approach-that-works-for-you-stsetivw-vs~23613728

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/inherited-pieces-embrace-the-approach-that-works-for-you-stsetivw-vs~23613728

And I HIGHLY recommend this book, it's very thought provoking and provides a neutral format for family members to recognize differing priorities. https://www.amazon.com/Gets-Grandmas-Yellow-Plate-Workbook/dp/1888440082 .

If you have a neighborhood social media group like Next Door or Facebook, you could post an exploratory - " might have access to a player piano, is there a church or retirement home on here who could use it" message. Who knows - maybe there's a decorator out there hunting for decor for a Gold Rush themed steak house!

Good luck!

The W house thanked LDJHouston
  • dsimber
    4 years ago

First, are you or your husband allergic to mold? Would there be an expert of some kind who could tell you if the mold will always be present? or if that odor would dissipate? There were a couple of creative suggestions on how components might be used, but would mold/odor still be an issue?

Second, would you want the piano if it cannot be repaired? To spare yourself any more angst, I would find out as soon as possible. Years ago, a professional musician advised us not to let our child play a baby grand with a cracked sounding board. He said it would ruin his natural “ear.” The piano was in a former sorority house we had rented, so we loved it as a prop and bought our son a violin!

Now that you have been able to post photos that are similar, you are getting some feedback about how it would look with the bench in your home. One of those photos shows a similar bench used with a piano. But is yours too long? And how do you currently use the bench? Do you use it as seating in your foyer? If so, are you willing to give that up?

Personally, I wouldn’t give up the armoire, which is beautiful as well as wonderfully accessorized, before knowing if you are going to keep the piano intact. I would go so far as to try it in your home first even though moving costs will be expensive. Then, if you just don’t like it or cannot adjust to any remaining odors, you would still have the option to use your armoire.

The W house thanked dsimber
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The piano as far as the external wood is in good shape, nice looking, however as many have mentioned, it could be a pretty penny to fix it was last in perfect condition in 1988. Since been in her garage collecting dust and spiders and not climate controlled. I would not want it if it wasn't in working condition.

I'm going to have to bring up the possible high price to fix it.

If it is fixed and wont smell, i would probably try to live with it and hopefully enjoy it .

• The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@maddielee, yes it is a player. You open a door down above peddles and bring down some push peddles in order to play the music rolls.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

My friend's daughter recently got rid of her grandmother's old piano because it was beyond repair. She knew that her grandmother was saddened by the demise of her piano. So , my friend's husband repurposed some wooden parts into a really cool shelf for grandma. I do not have a picture of it but I love these cool transformations!

The W house thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The original player is in tact, and I believe it is from between 1905-1928 based on when they were made. Reading about the history of them is now causing me to be more interested, depending on price of any needed restoration.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

If it is a player, you might appeal to a better potential buyer group. But, I think first step is to get estimate for repairs and cleaning. There are products that restore woods and remove odors, molds etc. just depends how much it costs etc. love the creative ideas for salvaging memories!!

The W house thanked Flo Mangan
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner, I'm also loving the creative ways that have been shared to salvage heirlooms as well!

I am going to research the cost of repairing.

@dsimber I am allergic to mold! So, that would need to be addressed if it has mold.

My bench is 63" the piano is 68" from outside edges. I'd need to measure from inside leg to inside. The bench is for looks, cannot fit it anywhere else, and i don't want to give it up. Thank you, for the accessorizing compliment!😊

• greenfish1234
    4 years ago

I am surprised how many people have such negative reactions to this! As someone who became filled with emotion at finding her great-grandmother’s handwriting on a social security application, I would jump at the chance to accept a piece that had surly brought so much joy to my family for generations It looks like it will be beautiful and the armoir is a bit bulky and cluttered with stuff anyway. Accept and enjoy with or without it working again, and don’t let folks get you knickers twisted about imaginary smells and spiders until you have had a chance you assess the situation!

The W house thanked greenfish1234
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

Well, what will become of the piano when you die? It will go to strangers if your sons don't want it? To the goodwill, or are there cousins who will want it? If it's not going to stay in the family, what is the point of you being saddled with it? I'd be canvassing all the relatives asking for a new home for it now.

I agree with Flo, it would be worth the $ to rent a storage locker until your mom is gone. If she doesn't care that you'd store it in your garage, she shouldn't care if it goes into storage. Then, if it's playable, keep your ears open for someone needing a piano for their child. Agree to "loan" it to them. I've known people who have loaned pianos for years with good results.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

maybe she will saddle her firstborn with like her mom did to her! you have a point. is she going to be like her mother and insist her kids take it?

The W,,,what does your mom say about that? or does she not care because by that time she won't be around? (not being morose here, just stating the obvious like Olychick pointed out. what happens when you no longer want it? )

I think mom is being a bit dramatic. if it means so much to her then let her find a place for it. let her sell her furniture to make room. But to demand that you take because she's held onto it for 30 years is ridiculous.

Sorry, I'd put my foot down on this one. donate it to a needy child that wants to play. If you really don't love it, you're always going to be resentful every time you walk past it and see and wishing you'd kept the armoire!

the other option is get a small storage unit and keep it there until you find some other spot for it.

But I'm sure an antique player is going to cost thousands to rehab. So, as was mentioned, if she doesn't want to foot the bill for it, would she still require you to take it if it can't be played?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Been there done that. In fact on a much smaller scale but still not my style I have items of my mothers boxed up (Lladro figurines, tea cups etc. nothing like a mothers guilt to force you to do what she wouldnt do. After 30 years in a garage the like hood of it coming out usable is slim. It so terribly sad that you couldn't have had it when it would have brought joy to you and your family. It all seems so selfish truth be told that the inheritance of the piece is only on the terms of your mothers wishes. I fear every time you walk into your house and look at it you may see an albatross and not a piano.

• greenfish1234
    4 years ago

OR, maybe the process of welcoming It in to the home will bring mother and daughter together, open up memories mother had forgotten were there, instill a connection to previous generations? Do a little research on the family history with your mom, maybe it will deepen the connection to the piece. All sorts of exciting family stories can be unraveled online. If you find no love for it there is always the option of donating it once mom has had a chance to see it take a place of honor in her daughter‘s home.

It is is a terrible shame you didn’t get to have it when your children could have developed a connection to it, too. if you do give it away, write a little history of it with a genealogy so future users will feel connected through its history!

• melismak
    4 years ago

30 years in a garage is terrible for a piano. I'd bet that it won't be salvageable in terms of playing. (Music professor here.) But, it might look cool.

The W house thanked melismak
  • maddielee
    4 years ago

A small storage unit, that is not climate controlled, would cost over $100.00 a month around here.

The W house thanked maddielee
  • cliff_and_joann
    4 years ago

Can you post a pic of the wall where you would put it?

We have an upright with a large mirror over it and it’s flanked

by a curio cabinet on each side. I would seriously think this

through before turning down the piano.

• jslazart
    4 years ago

My grandmother's sister rescued a Steinway from a damp basement in oregon. The finish is crackled from the humidity, but many years and several moves later it still plays beautifully and doesn't stink or have any nefarious spider issues. I find armiores bulky, imposing, and generally quite ugly. I don't see how a player piano wouldn't be an improvement. Bonus points for the fact that working ones are now quite rare and you/guests can spin it up at parties without actually having any chops.

And since you aren't attached to the armoire, worst case you get rid of it, get rid of the piano later, and then find something you really love to occupy that space.

The W house thanked jslazart
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maybe just maybe it might look much better than the bukly armoire? Like i mentioned before, it is wider in width by 4" on either side, so will take up more space on wall. And come closer to the bench which I won't get rid of and can't live elsewhere either. I think with some decor' and a cool lamp on top and possibly art above I might like it? I like a collected curated eclectic mix.

Who else thinks it might be as good or better than the current armoire?

P.S. i'm not looking for my home to look like a model home, I want personality and interest, but want it to mmake sense visually.

• Fori
    4 years ago

It'll probably look great.

It's unlikely any organization will take it as a donation. Nobody wants to take that risk.

With a few exceptions, old pianos tend to be beautiful but expensive to get rid of. You think getting rid of an old couch or mattress is hard? Pianos have them beat. :)

(If it is a Steinway, take it.)

The W house thanked Fori
  • The W house
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If anyone has an upright in their home in a spot that isnt perfect, I'd love to see how you incorporated 😊

• cliff_and_joann
    4 years ago

I think the piano on that wall would look more than interesting the armoire.

The mirror can go over the piano. I love the bench, can it for under the

opening between the dining room and living room? Can you use it in the living

room? Can you use it in the living room as a coffee table with a tray on top

for drinks etc...can it go in front of your living room or dining room window?

We bought a bench for our sons dining room so that his dog could look

out the window cause he would go up on the dining room

table to look out the window,

I like your style of decorating...show us the living room, maybe you can

find a place for the bench in there.

I‘ll look for pics of our piano up against the wall showing the mirror above it.

The W house thanked cliff_and_joann
  • jslazart
    4 years ago

Around here.. even broken player pianos get snapped up fast. I'd take it in a heartbeat if it were near me.

Mine has always been in awkward spots in my tiny homes (900 sqaure feet.. 1100 square feet..). Heck, it's in my dining room in the current house too. But I've never incorporated it well. It will never go with my other stuff no matter what I do. But that's just fine. It's an instrument. It is far more talented than my furniture will ever be.

The W house thanked jslazart
  • dsimber
    4 years ago

[comment moved to a new dilemma]

The W house thanked dsimber
  • Laura Flaugher
    4 years ago

Sounds like you are coming around to the idea. If you’re looking for collected and eclectic, the heirloom piano is your man. The armoire looks great, but I think the wider, lower presence of a piano would look nice there if you can do without the storage that gives you. Here is my piano. I rarely play anymore, but it is sentimental to me. So, I lacquered the bench pink and framed a cool drawing my artist friend did above it.

The W house thanked Laura Flaugher
  • greenfish1234
    4 years ago

I think it could look better than the armoire. it shouldn’t need to be too close to the bench either-it’s not like you have to center it on the spot the armiore is in. The bench and the piano will occupy their own spaces on the wall, I see no need for worrying about that!

• Olychick
    4 years ago

"A small storage unit, that is not climate controlled, would cost over $100.00 a month around here"

I was thinking if it's been in a garage for 30 years and is going to be disposed of after the mother dies, I wouldn't be paying for climate control.

The W house thanked Olychick
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I'll also add that a Steinway holed up in a basement will fare wayyyy better than a 1920 player piano in a hot garage for 30 years!

• melismak
    4 years ago

Having seen the pic, I also think a piano will look better there. But, I love pianos. To me a house needs a piano. But that's because I'm a piano person.

The W house thanked melismak