OOPS! U.S. Intel Briefer MISLED Lawmakers RE: Russia Helping Trump

catkinZ8a

CNN must be buying a clue, lololol.

Oops: Intelligence Official 'Misled' Lawmakers About Russia Helping Trump Win Re-election

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 5:20 PM

The top election security official for the intelligence community, Shelby Pierson, reportedly misled members of the House Intelligence Committee during a briefing on Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2020 election, with the goal of helping President Donald Trump, according to three national security officials familiar with the matter as well as National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien.

Pierson reportedly told lawmakers that Russia was interfering in the 2020 election with the aim of helping President Trump win re-election, despite no evidence suggesting that was Russia's intention. Concerns over the lack of evidence backing Pierson's claim were raised in response to a New York Times' report about the intelligence briefing, making vague assertions that Russia's efforts were intended to help the president's bid for re-election. Members of the intelligence community are now saying there is no evidence to back up Pierson's claim.

(Via CNN) Pierson's characterization of Russian interference led to pointed questions from lawmakers, which officials said caused Pierson to overstep and assert that Russia has a preference for Trump to be reelected.
One intelligence official said that Pierson's characterization of the intelligence was "misleading" and a national security official said Pierson failed to provide the "nuance" needed to accurately convey the US intelligence conclusions.
The Office of the Director of National Intelligence, where Pierson is a senior official, did not respond to CNN's request for comment.
Trump has been periodically briefed on Russian interference in the 2020 election, but was upset when he learned of Pierson's characterization of the intelligence in part because intelligence officials had not characterized the interference as explicitly pro-Trump. One national security official said Russia's only clear aim, as of now, is to sow discord in the United States.

On Sunday, President Trump accused House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff of leaking the misleading assessment by Shelby Person to the news media. National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien appeared on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday, saying that he has seen no evidence to suggest Russia was attempting to interfere in the U.S. election in order to help the president.

"I've seen the reports from that briefing at the intel committee ...” O'Brien said on Sunday, "who knows what happened over at the House and the Intelligence Committee, but I haven't seen any evidence that Russia's doing anything to attempt to get President Trump re-elected."

If Trump wins re-election, it looks like Democrats don't plan on accepting those results either.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bronsonstocking/2020/02/23/oops-intelligence-official-misled-lawmakers-about-russia-helping-trump-win-ree-n2561762

SaveComment47Like2
Comments (47)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lurker111

The crats think these people should be able to keep their jobs.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Hey, it was Trump’s Dan Coats that gave her the job.

Save    
Kitchenwitch111

So now they're saying it was all lies? Who do we believe?

Save    
foodonastump

Just vote.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I don't think anything coming out of the National Intelligence can be trusted.

Congress is briefed that Russia is interfering with a preference for Trump, McGuire is fired along with another senior official , both are replaced by unquestioningly loyal sycophants placed to protect him. Now the story is the information given to Congress was incorrect.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

So who is saying this? Some trump sycophant who replaced pierson?

As trump is purging the entire system of everyone who is willing to say what russia is doing, we are going to get more and more info from the administration that russia is doing nothing...certainly nothing to help trump.

We should expect more to come.

One of the first victims of an authoritarian takeover is always the truth.

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Nana H

Congress is briefed that Russia is interfering with a preference for Trump, McGuire is fired along with another senior official , both are replaced by unquestioningly loyal synocophants placed to protect him. Now the story is the information given to Congress was incorrect.

How do you know who and who is not "unquestioningly loyal" and what people are "synocophants" SIC (I believe the word you are looking for is perhaps "sycophant?")

How do you know they were "placed to protect him?"

What is the source for this information?

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

Stan, Grenell is a an outspoken Trump loyalist, surprised you haven't seen him on FOX. The other replacement was an aid or advisor to Nunes, recommended by Nunes right after he informed Trump of the briefing. The notion they are there to protect him by controlling the information flow is my opinion based on their lack of intelligence experience , especially Grenell, and their loyalty to Trump.

Lots of information on both of them has been widely reported by the news and there is also lots of information available to you on the web if you truly want to learn more.

1 Like Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

So now we are to believe Russians propaganda, they didn't interfere? That's Putin's narrative. Just who is running things at the White House?

Trumps believed Putin over our US intelligence before, why not again. Or does Trump really know the truth and wants to suppress it by replacing anyone who goes against his narrative. This does not bode well for the safety of our election or general safety of our Country.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Nana H:

Stan, Grenell is a an outspoken Trump loyalist, surprised you haven't seen him on FOX.

Well, that comment explains your assumptions about subjects and people.

You might also be surprised to know that I seldom ever watch FOX, or MSNBC or CNN, or any television at all for that matter.

No, I have not heard of him--but this I do know--that people that work closely with President Trump have turned out to be working against him.

There is no way to know what is in the mind of anyone or what their motivations are--one can guess, but one is quite often wrong.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I am not making any assumptions about Grenell and his outspoken loyalty to Trump and his total lack of intelligence experience. Those are facts.

BTW perhaps you should apply the thought in your last sentence to the one just before it.

Save    
bfox254

You can't trust any information coming from this administration. It doesn't matter if the Russians favor Trump, Bernie or Mickey Mouse. What matters is that they continue to meddle in our elections and our government doesn't appear to be able or willing to do anything about it. I have yet to hear a strong statement from Trump denouncing Russian involvement.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

The official, Shelby Pierson, told lawmakers on the House Intelligence Committee that Russia is interfering in the 2020 election with the goal of helping President Donald Trump get reelected.

[…] “The intelligence doesn’t say that,” one senior national security official told CNN. “A more reasonable interpretation of the intelligence is not that they have a preference, it’s a step short of that.

[…] One intelligence official said that Pierson’s characterization of the intelligence was “misleading” and a national security official said Pierson failed to provide the “nuance” needed to accurately convey the US intelligence conclusions.

1 Like Save    
elvis

The notion they are there to protect him by controlling the information flow is my opinion based on their lack of intelligence experience , especially Grenell, and their loyalty to Trump.

Well, Acting DNI Director Ambassador Grenell doesn't have your level of expertise, nana, but he sounds like a perfectly reasonable choice to others, like the author of the piece cut and pasted below. The author is former Senator Jim Talent, a national security leader who specializes in issues related to the Department of Defense.

If the president is going to sit with you for an hour every day, or most days, you had better be able to present information in a way he trusts and can use.

For all these reasons, DNIs do not need to be, and often have not been, career intelligence officers. There have been five Senate-confirmed DNIs since the job was created. Only two of them (Admiral Mike McConnell and James Clapper) came from the IC. The first DNI — John Negroponte — was a career diplomat and ambassador who went on to be deputy secretary of state. Another, Admiral Dennis Blair, came out of the Surface Navy and was a former commander of the United States Pacific Command. The latest DNI was Dan Coates, a well-respected Senator who had been a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

The point is that DNIs come from a number of different backgrounds. What they have in common is long experience assessing intelligence and the ability to approach intelligence estimates the way presidents must approach them: in the context of broader national-security issues.

Grenell is in the mold of Negroponte. He has years of international experience at both the U.N. and as ambassador to Germany, as well as in private life. In those capacities, he has had ample opportunity to see the strengths and weaknesses of the IC. Grenell’s post in Germany, for example, puts him at the center of a vital intelligence node not just for Europe but for Russia and China as well. There are no doubt a number of IC attachés in the U.S. embassy and consulates in Germany. Technically, they report to Grenell, and while the actual relationship between ambassadors and attachés can vary, I’m certain that Grenell has been an eager, active, and (where necessary) critical consumer of the intelligence he receives, which is exactly as it should be.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/calm-down-grenell-is-a-strong-choice/

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Stan, it's called just tossing stuff out.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

So now you believe the intelligence agencies. Well...

So all that is going on is Russia IS interfering but they aren't specifically trying to help Trump win and you are all good to go with that. Sounds like a plan.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

Guess then, Russia isn’t helping Bernie either. So Trump won’t be able to say the election was rigged and null and void if Bernie wins.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Presidents have no duty to tolerate backstabbers in their administrations.

The president’s duty is to carry out the agenda he ran on, prioritizing promises that are most beneficial to the American people and their right to a safe, secure and sovereign nation.

The DC swamp is teeming with disloyal, unelected bureaucrats who keep getting caught. The conniving to obstruct this President began long before he was elected, with the despicable goal of impeaching him, in the unlikely event he was elected.

When corrupt politicians and bureaucrats engage in pre-planning/facilitating the removal of a President, the American people have a duty to remember who they are, and what they tried to do to their duly elected president.

Their ultimate goal was to override our electoral system, without our ever knowing what they had done to us. Therein lies the most frightening lesson from this entire scheme:

Those entrenched in the swamp have forgotten their place. They no longer seek power to serve the American people. They were prepared to sell us out. But for President Donald Trump, they would have gotten away with it.

6 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

That disloyal word stops me in my tracks every time. Disloyal.

Save    
elvis

patriciae_gw(07)

...So all that is going on is Russia IS interfering but they aren't specifically trying to help Trump win and you are all good to go with that. Sounds like a plan.

So all that is going on is patriciae is telling others what they think.

Again. Sigh.

No, patriciae, that is not true. You just made that up, I won't presume to guess as to why you did that. Here's a handy tip for better/more productive communication: ask the question. You know what can happen when you assume/presume.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Help me out here, abh.

The Constitution clearly says a president can be impeached. However, you (abh) keep arguing that impeaching Trump was an unconstitutional attempt to remove "a duly elected president."

Are you arguing that only presidents who were NOT "duly elected" can be impeached? Just how would we get a president who wasn't "duly elected"?

(Maybe by having the Supreme Court decide the winner of a presidential election?)

I really can't think of any other case. So I'm left wondering why the founding fathers would include the possibility of impeaching a president if "duly elected" presidents can't be impeached, and all (?) presidents are "duly elected."

Doesn't quite add up for me.

Kate

1 Like Save    
elvis

Well, that's a shame.

4 Likes Save    
foodonastump

LOL Kate, including the word “duly” seems to go hand in hand with the nonsense about “reversing the results of the election.”

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

The right presumes/assumes what the left thinks all the time.

The only loyalty on the part of civil servants is to the Constitution, not any individual, not the president.

How about we get rid of all those corrupt bureaucrats/politicians who were planning to impeach Hillary before the election? McConnell connived and obstructed Obama at every turn, let’s get rid of him.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

ABH: "The president’s duty is to carry out the agenda he ran on, prioritizing promises that are most beneficial to the American people and their right to a safe, secure and sovereign nation."

Where does it say all that in the Constitution?

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

" one senior national security official told CNN"

"One intelligence official said..."

So, anonymous sources.

Save    
bfox254

Hounds, your post sounds like the greatest hits playlist from Fox News.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"That disloyal word stops me in my tracks every time. Disloyal."

Glad to hear it. It should horrify anyone who naively thought a coup could never happen here. One almost did.

Nowhere in our Constitution are political parties or unelected bureaucrats permitted to pre-plan the impeachment of the opposition candidate who defeats that party for the Presidency. It is up to the people to elect their own president. It's not the job of the FBI, CIA or any other IC organization to substitute their judgment for ours.

By the way, we know the failed coup was a deliberate, malicious act, independent of any "crimes or misdemeanors" involving the President, because he had not yet been elected.

4 Likes Save    
mudhouse

LOL Kate, including the word “duly” seems to go hand in hand with the nonsense about “reversing the results of the election.”

Foodonastump, I really don't understand the problem with that phrase. Did you have the same objection when applied to the Clinton impeachment, by the current head of the House Judiciary Committee?

Nobody is saying impeachment makes an election blink out of existence. But the goal of impeachment, the reason it exists, is to remove a sitting president from office.

If that happens, the effect is to overturn (undo, negate, reverse) the decision made by the people who voted to put that president in office for the term of four years.

So, can you help me understand your objection to the phrase? What is it that hits you guys so wrong about it, and was Nadler also wrong in the videos below?

Nadler, in above video: "He knew quite properly that an impeachment of a president is an undoing of a national election."

Nadler, in above video: "The effect of impeachment is to overturn the popular will of the voters as expressed in a national election."

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Hounds, your post sounds like the greatest hits playlist from Fox News.

No, it sounds like the accurate portrayal of the understanding that millions of thinking Americans have. Not after swallowing any narrative presented by main stream media, but after living through the years since Trump ran for office, with eyes open, and with the ability to see what's been happening.

It sounds like the same realization that I have, after reading and watching and doing my own research, trying to understand the complicated legal events and interplay between unelected officials in the intelligence community, state department, and department of justice. My own interpretation, backed by time and consideration, leading to the sad conclusion that some of those officials apparently thought their own political preferences mattered more than the will of the people. They thought they had the right to substitute their opinion for ours, just as adoptedbyhounds stated.

They were wrong.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

It's not as much about "the will of the people" as it is what the US Constitution lays down.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

If Nadler were my Rep - I'd likely support a contender.

About that "reversing" an election. An impeachment is not that. If it were reversed, then it would get a do-over or maybe the 2nd place finisher would step up.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

They've trained you well :)

Save    
mudhouse

Who has trained me well, bfox254?

Save    
HU-885118952

mudhouse, we're not trained, moreover, we're not so in need of acceptance and validation because of abject fear of retaliation from our fellow conservatives.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Elvis, when I have tried asking questions and you know how that went. In this case I didn't see any conservatives showing any concern over the real problem here.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Let's be clear on what grennell's experience is. He's not in the military, defense or intelligence ... he is a PR guy. His role has been in communications and media.

Let's see what nuggets wikipedia has to offer:

In May 2018, within hours of taking office in Berlin as US Ambassador, Grenell offended diplomats and business leaders when he tweeted that “German companies doing business in Iran should wind down operations immediately.”[32] The tweet was widely perceived as a threat...

In June 2018, Grenell stirred controversy by telling Breitbart News, "I absolutely want to empower other conservatives throughout Europe, other leaders."[34] It was viewed as anti-establishment.[35][36] This was described as a breach of diplomatic protocol and a breach of Article 14 of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, which requires ambassadors to be politically neutral in the domestic politics of the countries where they serve.[37][34] Prominent German politicians called for Grenell's dismissal.[38][39][40][41] Martin Schulz, former leader of the Social Democratic Party of Germany, said, "What this man is doing is unheard of in international diplomacy. If a German ambassador were to say in Washington that he is there to boost the Democrats, he would have been kicked out immediately...."[38]

Der Spiegel published a profile of Grenell on January 11, 2019, using interviews with 30 “American and German diplomats, cabinet members, lawmakers, high-ranking officials, lobbyists and think tank experts". The magazine claimed that "Almost all of these sources paint an unflattering portrait of the ambassador, one remarkably similar to Donald Trump, the man who sent him to Berlin. A majority of them describe Grenell as a vain, narcissistic person who dishes out aggressively, but can barely handle criticism." The profile claimed that Grenell is politically isolated in Berlin because of his association with the far-right Alternative for Germany Party, causing the leaders of the mainstream German parties, including the Chancellor herself, to avoid contact with him.[37] The sources claimed that Grenell "knows little about Germany and Europe, that he ignores most of the dossiers his colleagues at the embassy write for him, and that his knowledge of the subject matter is superficial."[37]

So yeah...this is the perfect guy to take the lead in intelligence to spin and spin and bury any inconvenient truths.

SOS.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

abh, I get your passion, I just wish it was in the right direction...

The president’s duty is to carry out the agenda he ran on, prioritizing promises that are most beneficial to the American people and their right to a safe, secure and sovereign nation.

No, the president's duty is as follows:

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

And preserving, protecting and defending the Constitution means following the laws of the land...something trump has been unable to do before and since he's taken office. And as far as keeping the nation safe and secure, that's not happening when he's running around perverting foreign policy for his personal benefit, or siding with authoritarians like putin on the global stage over our own intelligence people.

If trump is surrounded by lifelong bureaucrats who have managed to be loyal to every other president regardless of party or policy, but suddenly have a problem with trump, then the problem is *not* with the bureaucrats, but with *trump*. If people are blowing whistles and leaking to the press about even the very people trump hired calling him an FN moron and other names, calling his actions as president "drug deals" and a $1 mil donor to his campaign saying there was a quid pro quo, then maybe, just maybe, you ought to consider the possibility that *trump* is the problem...not the people around him.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

...this is the perfect guy to take the lead in intelligence to spin and spin and bury any inconvenient truths.

"Take the lead in intelligence"? Is that what you think the DNI does?

The Directorate of National Intelligence and the DNI position were created in 2005. Its purpose is to assist the president in evaluating the intelligence collected by the 17 agencies that make up what is commonly called the “intelligence community,” or the IC. The DNI doesn’t have budgetary, personnel, or command authority over the community he overlooks; his job is to assess the intelligence that the IC creates, ask tough questions in an attempt to expose weakness or uncertainty, and present the views of the IC to the president in a useful form. If possible, the DNI should mediate differences among the various agencies to create a consensus view, but not to the point of suppressing honest differences of opinion that might affect the president’s decisions.

In other words, the DNI is an evaluator, not an operator. Like top political leaders, he consumes rather than produces intelligence. The DNI doesn’t need to know how to run an operation or manage intelligence assets in hostile countries; in fact, he has no formal authority over those collection activities and would encounter immediate and ferocious resistance if he tried to interfere.

The DNI does need good judgment, an understanding of the global context that makes intelligence meaningful, and a good relationship with the president and the leaders of the most important agencies in the IC — chiefly the CIA, the Defense Intelligence Agency, the NSA, and the FBI. The relationship with the president is especially important, because the DNI typically gives the president his daily briefing.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/calm-down-grenell-is-a-strong-choice/

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

There was no planned coup against Trump—-look up the definition of coup.

Repubs were planning Hillary’s impeachment before the election. That was OK? Funny how quickly the right seems to forget that and never mention it.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

The right forgetful? Give them a few more months and Hillary will have been found guilty of Uranium One, it was all her fault ya know, what's the fault? The fault is in their thinking.

Save    
Save    
Joaniepoanie

Another RW conspiracy theory that Hillary killed Epstein. And some say it was Trump.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

It's glaringly obvious that Grennell was given the position to influence the DNI with Trump's narrative that Russia isn't messing with the elections. That's Putin's narrative too. Are they now going to ignore reports or even try and stop it. Well if they deny what's going on then what is there to fix?

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
Kathy

If you listen to the DNI trying to walk back Russia helping Trump, it is downright disgusting. Who can believe anything coming from Trump sychophants?

1 Like Save