Who should dominate the more moderate Dem lane?

Ann

Following Bernie's big win in Nevada, I'm listening to left media today and so many panelists are saying candidates need to drop out to lessen the moderate lane "splitting" of votes. Do the liberals here agree? If yes, who do you think should drop out? Who do you want to be the representative of that more moderate lane and take the votes from candidates who would drop out?

SaveComment23Like1
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

Don' t think that can be answered until after Super Tuesday although I think it's fairly clear Amy and Pete' s days are numbered.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I think, like many of the panelists discussing the situation, Super Tuesday is probably too late to make that choice. Bernie's delegate momentum could be too unsurmountable after Super Tuesday.

Save    
Tito Milian

The only So- called moderate left is Biden, and I don’t think he’s a very viable candidate.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I think you need to see a Bloomberg showing to understand if it is him or Biden. I wish Amy could catch on. She remains my personal favorite to lead the free world but..........

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I'm listening to left media today

What is the "left media" -- is this on broadcast TV or cable or radio?

1 Like Save    
Ann

Nancy, typically MSNBC is my go to for left media, but last night I resorted to CNN because of the extreme variation in how Fox News and MSNBC were covering Nevada. Fox called the race nearly two hours before MSNBC (who called it before CNN, lol). But, at least CNN was showing vote percentages and giving Bernie credit for a big win. MSNBC kept showing total delegates so far (with Pete leading) out of delegates needed nationally. It was kind of bizarre and almost seemed like they wanted to do what they could to "hide" Bernie's impressive Nevada win and hardly talk about the election results of the day at all.

Today, I was watching MSNBC which is what prompted me to start this thread.

Save    

MSNBC is my go to for left media

So no Free Speech TV or Democracy Now or Alternet or Jacobin which are leftist, and not merely liberal.

Save    
Ann

Nancy, I not familiar with any of those. I've never even heard of any of them.

Save    

I not familiar with any of those. I've never even heard of any of them.

Then you are not aware that there is a left in this country -- however small -- that exists as an alternative to the (weakly) liberal Democratic Party.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I like Democracy Now.

Save    
althea_gw

I've never heard of a "left media" apart from Democracy Now!, some Youtube channels like Rising on Hill TV and some others. I don't consider the cable channels cited left at all.

Back to the question.

It is usually up to the voters to decide who stays in and who exits the primary. If someone can't pull in enough votes they drop out. However, in the "moderate" lane of the Democratic party field, none of them believe in democracy according to their answers to the question about interference by party elites at the last debate. So, they can go before the voters, or fight it out among themselves and their billionaire donors. Based on their answer to the debate question, I think they should all drop out.

Save    
Ann

Althea, the answer to that question was astounding! Superdelegates should have been done away with altogether rather than just moved to a later step. That thumb on the scale need for control is bizarre.

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

...sniff...Pete, are you calling me dumb?...sniff..." Klobuchar

Yeah right, she'll stand up to Putin and the gang.

Save    
batyabeth

I think Pete is a great candidate...........next time. He doesn't have the chops YET. I like Warren and I don't think she's too far left at all. Honestly I love the guy but I think bernie's too old, although I might be wrong. I think he's definitely changed the conversation to include a lot of what hasn't been on the table before and rightly so, but I think Warren would do similar things and she's got the government experience in spades as well, and she's tough as nails. I'm not sure about Klobuchar, she IMHO needs more national seasoning too.Put her and Pete in high level national positions and re-stock the government with progressive fighters!

I'm rooting for Warren, but I think the whole field is impressive.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Catkin, I have to agree about Klobuchar. I noticed and commented on her shaky voice when I saw her in the first debate I watched. I chalked it up to nervousness. I figured she'd get past it. But, I think it's gotten worse. I don't know if it nervousness, anger that very nearly takes her to tears, or what - but I think it's unworkable for the job she's seeking.

Save    
HU-806720425

There has been a false GOP narrative that only a moderate Dem can beat the radical, divisive, offense ,insulting, vulgar, ignorant, extremist Trump,. Most political pundits in the media have bought into that . However, no Democratic candidate will ever mine a significant amount of votes from Trump cultists. That had me rethinking my support for Bloomberg which is in part based on that flawed concept. Maybe we do have to go for it with Sen Sanders or Sen. Warren. During the Nev debate I imagine Trump getting blown up like Bloomberg was by Bernie and Warren. If either one is the nominee I bet Trump chickens out and refuses to debate. He has already floated that as a possibility.

Save    
Chi

Because it plays into their narrative. They want to label concepts like universal healthcare and reasonable tuition as radical, extreme, far-left ideas when the reality is these are perfectly moderate ideas that much of the world has already implemented.

4 Likes Save    
llucy

Pete.

I like Amy, but I feel Pete is smarter and more diplomatic.

I REALLY want a leader who is smart and diplomatic after the last 3 years.

Save    
batyabeth

"concepts like universal healthcare and reasonable
tuition as radical, extreme, far-left ideas when the reality is these
are perfectly moderate ideas that much of the world has already
implemented."

Yes!! Exactly.

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Raise your hand if you think tuition will stop far outpacing inflation if the government takes it over.

Pfft.

Save    
Ann

I guessed the warm up to Bernie would soon begin and there was certainly evidence of that today on HT:)

Save    
Chi

Many other countries have low cost college tuition and manage it just fine. They recognize the value of having an educated population that isn't burdened by massive student loans as they enter adulthood.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

I’ll vote for Bernie’s gnarly old toenail clippings if that’s what it takes.

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Contemporary Style See How 1 Kitchen Style Works With 5 Types of Wood
These contemporary kitchens show off the beauty of red oak, teak, apple wood and more
Full Story
Kitchen Design The Case for 2 Kitchen Sinks
Here’s why you may want to have a prep and a cleanup sink — and the surprising reality about which is more important
Full Story
Working With an Interior Designer 10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story