SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter_desevo

master bedroom redesign

Peter DeSevo
4 years ago

Need help designing bedroom. We just mounted the tv and hid the wires. I’m thinking a red entryway bench underneath the TV, or maybe a teal one? Add a plant? I know there is clutter, so I want to reduce it. The only non-negotiable is our senior beagle’s tepee and rug. He loves his space.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hOWgPbY

Comments (36)

• Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

help?

• jck910
    4 years ago

how about starting with a rug?

• Related Discussions

When did the 'master' bedroom become the 'principal' bedroom?

Q

Comments (32)
    I’m in Canada and the townhome we just bought used “master bedroom” and ”second bedroom”. The bathroom is actually “master bathroom” too, though en-suite is more popular. I think “principal bedroom” works well, especially if describing short term rentals (where multiple couples might share a rental), rentals by you adults (again where roommates might be sharing), or multi- generational homes. You still want to confirm which room is the largest, but there isn’t a need to explain who then “master” of the home is. Random point- when I’ve booked Airline tickets for my son, he always gets the prefix “master” vs “Mr” on his tickets/booking. Hubby and I always get a good laugh, as there are definitely days where it feels like he runs things in our home! Maybe he should get the new master bedroom haha.
    ...See More

master bedroom and sons bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    Will you be able to post photos? Neo-Classical lines, a dash of Hollywood glamour, finished in glossy lacquer/ polished nickel accents/ oversized acrylic knobs. [https://www.houzz.com/products/channing-six-drawer-tall-chest-prvw-vr~121551283[(https://www.houzz.com/products/channing-six-drawer-tall-chest-prvw-vr~121551283)
    ...See More

Need help with master bedroom/bathroom redesign

Q

Comments (7)
    @Josie23 Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to put a sink in the powder room but of course it will have a sink. I was mainly focusing on the master area. The powder room will be about 7.5 feet long x 3.5 feet wide which should be plenty of room for both a toilet and a sink. I read that the minimum area for a powder room is 11 square feet but this will be much larger than that. I have seen some pretty small powder rooms for sure.
    ...See More

Master Bedroom - White Walls - Distressed Black Bedroom Furniture

Q

Comments (4)
    You may want to start saving inspiration rooms you love; it will really help if you have a direction. I would purchase the rug fist vs bedding and cushions so you have a style to build on. Be sure to use various colors, patterns and textures so it feels more interesting The headboard is high and I think art above each night stand would be more complimentary and use small brass lamps for a modern look. You could add the sign on another wall If you need a bedskirt, a more tailored style would feel more modern Dresser and tv wall - mirror, plant, chair, art, baskets
    ...See More
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Your art is all hung too high. It should be 5" above furniture and no wider than 75% of the furniture's width, or center pieces 5' above the floor. The curtains should hang on the outsides of the rods. A rug will help.

• Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I would hang the art that is now over the t.v. over the bed instead. About 6" from the top of the headboard to the bottom of the art. Then take the 4 pieces over the bed and arrange them into a gallery wall along with the other piece on the side wall. Add a console as PCC suggested under the t.v. Something narrow that you can use for storage. Extend the drapery rod out about 6 inches past the end of the windows. Add one panel on each end and a 3rd in the center, again as PCC suggested. Then move the dog's teepee to the corner next to the console. I would remove the floor lamp, as it doesn't really serve a purpose. I would also get rid of the plaid sheets and pillows and just use white. Your bedspread is neutral enough, but it needs to be turned in the other direction so it hangs further down on the sides of the bed. You could then use one of the colors in your artwork to add a throw or coverlet folded at the end of the bed, along with some pillow shams in the same color. Hope this helps!

Peter DeSevo thanked katinparadise
  • shirlpp
    4 years ago

It sounds like you love color - cool!

However, I would not purchase a red or teal console but something in an espresso or ebony. Pull the green from that beautiful artwork and furnish your bedding in that color - or at least put a throw at the end of the bed in green.

New - funky - nightstands are a must!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

First, get EVERYTHING that doesn't have to do with sleep/relaxation out of there. Paper towels etc. The clutter

Art is personal. Take the scary eyeball art to over the bed. Use an accent color from that, for a dab of it in your bedding and most of that should be white.

Re hang everything else, and remember while you mostly see it lying DOWN. No point in a nursing home arrangement at the ceiling line :: )

Learn to make an attractive bed. ..........get a long dresser under that tv, larger bedside lamps. Hide the dog teepee in the opposite corner, where you won't see it upon entering.

A lot of this is as per Patricia. You have internet, you're on here. Make an idea book...look at beautiful rooms. Beautifully made beds.

If you must have dust catching blinds? Lose the mini for wood , white and two inch. The curtains..... not enough. Each window is a window, or forget them entirely.

Yes to a rug.......

Peter DeSevo thanked JAN MOYER
  • Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rugs are tough because we have two senior dogs that occasionally have some vomiting accidents. I currently took down all the art work and patched some holes. Do you have any suggestions on nights stands with dresser? due to budget, I think we could afford just a new ling dresser under the tv. Should we have it match the night stands? I was thinking an entry way bench under the tv. Also for the corner with the lamp, should I get a bigger lamp (any recommendations) or keep the lamp and add a large and medium sized houseplant? Thanks for all the help!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

A bench for WHAT? It will be a dumping ground for laundry and clothes.. Get something that stores ...and use it. Post another couple angles of the room, or even a drawing with all the dimensions, entry etc.

Peter DeSevo thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

A bench is too low and too small and serves no purpose under the TV. A long dresser or a console with cabinet doors will work better and give you the storage you appear to need. If you are on a tight budget I highly recommend scanning your FB Buy Trade sell. You will get better quality pieces for little money. Glad to hear the art is down. The art piece above the TV can be moved to above the headboard but needs to be hung only about 6-8" above the headboard. Not high up. The ling linear art to the right of window needs to go to another place in your home. The framed pieces can be down in an interesting grouping (not a line across) on the wall to the right of the window but add more maybe 1-3 more to create an uneven number and a gallery grouping. You mention red and that would be a an okay color to add in the form of bedding but it doesn't seem to react to anything else in the room (art work) where as green does. For bedside tables I would bring in two three drawer chests to provide more storage. Plus the larger size will be in better proportion to the bed and space. Again look on Buy trade sell sites. Move your pets tee pee to the corner to the left of TV. Draperies should go to the floor and your need to move them to the outside of the windows and ideally have two panels per window.

Peter DeSevo thanked Design Interior South
  • shirlpp
    4 years ago

Those nightstands look new. If they are, consider returning them for something else.

The lamp in the corner does not do the room any favors.

• Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any pictural recommendations for underneath the TV? Also, any advice for the empty corner? I'll do my best to replace nightstands, so any pictural ideas for nightstands? Thanks so much for all the constructive criticism. It's all much appreciated.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

This comes in charcoal and walnut.

Espresso

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

For that corner - would a chair fit? Don't know room dimensions.

• Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That corner is about 4 feet by 5 feet. I like espresso console that you posted. Should we get larger nightstands? Any recommendations with that?

• chuppi
    4 years ago

Hello, its great you decided to de-clutter & beautify your bedroom, it sure does make you feel goood!

Haven't read above comments,

1. Flipping your art work around might be a good idea for starters..

wide single above tv will look nice behind the bed. You could loose the rest of artwork it

feels more clutter free.

2. Two panel curtains so you could pull it back at both ends rather than let it hang in a
    cluster in center. Adding a double rod curtain hook will enable to add sheers which will

add softness & enhances the look, feel n bedroom.

3. Invest in a nice bedding set of your colour choice.. maybe teal matching the big art. always good to have a nuetral one as well.

(keep an eye on sale in sites like wayfair)

4. Plant is a great addition as you mentioned.

5. Consider changing side table or staining it colour of headboard.

6. consider changing paint colour if you think you would like

Could definitely start with these & go to adding other accessories.

Have fun!

ps- your dog & tipi are adorable :)

Peter DeSevo thanked chuppi
  • Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm not sure what two panel curtains are? Or a double rod curtain hook? I tried googling but didn't give me much.

• izeve
    4 years ago

"Two panel curtains" simply means having two panels (or curtains) for each window, not a single one per window like you have now. "Double rod" means having two curtain rods so that you can hang sheers on the one closest to the window and curtains on the one outside one. Keep the sheers closed all the time, draw the curtains closed when needed. You can probably just get new support brackets and an additional rod for your current ones.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Dimensions of the espresso piece:

20.7 in. H x 70.9 in. W x 15.6 in. D...............$212.00

Don't remove your artwork from the room, you just need to have some of the colors from it on your bed - or - in a chair - or - pillows - or- curtains...

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

ruggable.com has washable rugs in lots of patterns and colors specially for kids and pets.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

I really love that your dogs come first - mine too!

I also think that decorating is a life long journey. We start with things we get handed down to us and slowly replace. It is a learning process. We see things we like and bring them home like we would a piece of clothing, thinking we will find a place for it, like we will find other pieces of an outfit to go with a new pair of shoes.

The thing is that our homes are not as interchangeable as clothing. I may wear lace and pearls to a party and sweats and a t shirt at home and business attire to work, but my home has to have one cohesive style, and it really should reflect who the owner is.

Go to the Photos page on Houzz and filter to each style. Think about how you would feel in the spaces and how you live your life and want to feel in your spaces. I can look at all of the styles and appreciate the beauty, but only a couple feel like spaces I would want to live in.

Save the pics that really speak to you in an idea book.

Once you figure out what style you love you can build toward that whenever you replace a piece of furniture or add a piece of art or buy new bed linens. Most of us can't really afford to change furniture every 5 years or buy all new at one time.

The other thing to decide are the colors that you love. Look at your art and things and see if there is a common color that makes your heart sing. In my home I do a load of purple laundry every week and when I look at my art and things there it is again and again. Sometimes more bold, sometimes grayed out and subdued, but there it is.

I pick colors and neutrals that work with purples. I may see bedding that is khaki green and appeals to me, but I know not to buy it because it will never work with my purples.

Once you know your end destination, picking one piece at a time that will get you closer to that goal will become easier and your home will, in time, really reflect who you are and bring you joy every time you enter a room.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Okay here is a very quick mock up. Working off your existing art work and their colors . Move art work as shown.. Bring in two larger bedside chests scaled to the space and that work with the head board. Bring in two better sized lamps and use color to your advantage. Bedding take you quilt and fold it at the foot of the bed. I cant tell if its beige or gray. Since gray plays well I hope its gray. Get a comforter with a duvet cover which is easily washable with fur babies. Do a solid in a white to brighten up the space. Add some decorative pillows in the green as shown. Drapery panels, 2 per window that go to the floor. A wide dresser under the TV. Move your pups TP to the corner where your floor lamp is now. This will allow you to have larger better proportioned bedside tables in the room. For a rug, I know they can be difficult with older fur babies but they are doable. Buy an indoor outdoor rug that can literally be hosed off If needed or there is a company called ruggable that literally makes washable rugs. You take the top off and throw it in your washing machine! Here is a link to one that would work well https://ruggable.com/products/kavi-mosaic-silver?variant=12765651992631

Peter DeSevo thanked Design Interior South
  • Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love that idea! What about the corner? I'm still stuck on that.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

which corner?

• Cynthia
    4 years ago

Echoing what many others have said, don't do a bench, get a substantial piece you can store things in as you say you would like to reduce clutter. I like the ones Design Interior South mocked up. Remember, not all furniture needs to be matchy-matchy. In the corner where the lamp is you could do a chair or maybe a corner desk or shelf (you could do plants on a corner shelf). Otherwise it looks like a nice room, interesting ceiling and it's not small by any means....just needs some color and organization! Enjoy!

Peter DeSevo thanked Cynthia
  • Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Corner with the lamp

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Peter, how tall is your bed from the floor to the top of the mattress. IKEA's malm 3 drawer dresser on either side of your bed would be great for storage. You can get them in several colors and add some great hardware to dress them up. They're only $99 each so they're very affordable. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/malm-3-drawer-chest-gray-stained-50454913/

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

I would move your dogs TP there. It doesn't need to be filled with anything. It is okay to have empty space. Not every corner needs to be filled and in fact shouldn't. A room needs empty space for the eye to relax.

• Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

update:After

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Peter what a tremendous improvement! How are you feeling about the space now? The art work is spot on! You did a fantastic job hanging it at the appropriate heights and spacing. Bravo! Love the green accents as well and how they tie into the natural wood elements on your new piece under the TV. I have to ask....Is there a reason why you are still keeping the drapery panels pushed to the center of the windows? I would definitely bring them to the outside of each window if possible. Have you decided to keep the existing bedside tables? My other suggestion might be to get a more substantial pot for your palm.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

You go boy!!!

Peter DeSevo thanked shirlpp
  • Peter DeSevo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No reason, it doesn't bother me so much because I don't notice is. I'll make that easy change. I am definitely going to replant the pot this weekend. I brought it in from the living room, and I'm going to keep it there.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Looks great! One simple thing-turn your comforter 90 degrees. It will cover the sides better and won't hang so far down on the bottom.

• kulrn
    4 years ago

I was going to add suggestions, then realized you finished your space. Looks really good!