SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
d_gamba

Insufficient AC and too much light - small rental apartment bedroom

d_gamba
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm in a second floor 1-bedroom apartment (floor plan below) about 700 sq ft. This unit is on a corner with N/NE windows and E windows in the living room, N/NE in the bedroom. Thru-wall AC in the living room right under the N/NE window. All windows are horizontal sliders like this one: Window

My two main problems: I'm a very light sleeper and suffer bad morning insomnia (wake too early). Light, temperature and sound all contribute to my wakefulness. Pinning my hideous ugly light-blocking drapes to the wall helps in winter, but in summer this allows no airflow and with the AC running continously the bedroom is still hot (and I still get light leaking in from window and from the living room windows). Last summer I tried rigging a series of fans to blow air into the bedroom, or using one of these portable AC units - I got it used, so might not be in the best condition. Neither solution was completely adequate. On cooler nights I'd rather sleep with a window fan only, but it lets a lot of light in - last summer I used binder clamps to pin the light-blocking drape around the fan but of course light intruded.

Management will not permit a window AC, only the portable. Last week (February) I got them to install a new 12000 BTW Soleus thru-wall unit and obviously haven't tested that out yet, but the product's specs indicate it's for 500 sq ft, not 700, so it's still not going to be sufficient to blow around that corner and into the bedroom.

I have a week to give notice whether I'm staying or moving out - and I haven't found another nearby apartment in my price range with better light/AC options. All rentals come with underpowered ACs! I'd rather not move. What solutions am I not thinking of?

Comments (5)