Anderson Cooper's epic take down of Blagojevich!

chipotle

SaveComment60Like2
Comments (60)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

It was brilliant! Anderson is the only prime time news show I'll watch. Very professional and not overly dramatic.

4 Likes Save    
chipotle

We were both applauding.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Awwwww, poor political prisoner. Now a born again trump-o-crat. How quaint.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

Comparing himself to Nelson Mandela, give me a break!

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Wow... I actually watched the whole video posted. I saw a man pardoned, and still willing to admit the things he did wrong. He had time to think and see things differently. Why the hate on Blago? the answer: Just because Trump pardoned him. Claiming to be a Trump -o-crat. LOL

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Nana he did not compare "himself" to Mandela, he was talking about the process.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

LOL- never thought I would defend a "crat" lol.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

News flash ...Blago was disliked by Dems long before the pardon. It' s actually the other way around. Some who disliked him before support him now. Saint Blago, simply because Trump pardoned him.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

News flash... I never thought Blago should have served time. He was small potatoes in the Illinois crime lab state. I am glad Trump pardoned him and glad to have him support Trump;)

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Blago was disliked by Dems long before the pardon.

lol.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Cooper is an idiot. I watched until 1:20. Who falls for that garbage?

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Where's our high school student and his debate class? I saw cooper make at least 3 logical fallacies in less than 2 minutes. This would be a good learning opportunity for him.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Anderson put so many words in Blago's mouth. Typical Schiff disciple.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

In whose world is selling a Senate seat small potatoes? What size are potatoes in Illinois?

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

He never sold the seat Patriciae.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

No Margo, he only tried and that counts. It is kind of like trying to leverage a foreign leader to create a smear of a political rival. That counts too. This is basic stuff.

8 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Like Obama being more flexible after he leaves office? Talk.

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

Basic, but way over some heads.

3 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

I read about a guy who tried to rob a bank -- he was arrested while the crime was in progress. I guess his defence could be, "I didn't actually succeed in stealing money."

9 Likes Save    
Gizmo

Blago was such a swell guy trying to withhold money for sick kids in Illinois...no wonder Trump commuted his sentence.

For Trump what would have been even better, if the sick kids were kept in cages too!

No way. It's important to remember that it wasn't just his giddiness
over having the statutory power to appoint someone to Barack Obama's
Senate seat and his alleged plans to use that authority as leverage for
himself that landed him in the clink. Federal prosecutors also
documented how Blago tried to shake down an executive at then Children's
Memorial Hospital for a $50,000 campaign contribution in exchange for
his providing $8 million in state health funds. So not only was Obama's
seat "golden," but apparently reimbursements for treating sick kids were
as well.

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/rod-blagojevich-sympathizers/Content?oid=37063612

3 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Not surprising that they support another crook!

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

If you wonder why CNN's ratings are so bad, see tho OP.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Worth watching to the very last word!

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

What is it with thinking that if the intent & plan to carry out a crime didn't have success then there's no crime?

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

What is it with thinking that if the intent & plan to carry out a crime didn't have success then there's no crime?

I don't know, ask the Smollet defenders. Only thing is he DID do it.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Ziemia,

I'm surprised that you haven't figured it out yet. 😉

Any excuse to get even convicted felons off is great so long as they support trump and put money into his campaign coffers.

You don't even need intent or a plan or a crime, let alone a trial to be convicted if you're a democrat...lock her up! lock her up!

1 Like Save    
Ann

Margo, I completely agree about his attempts to put words in Blago's mouth and then he did his "head tilt, quizzical look" thing. I laughed when I watched it, thinking how much it was like HT when we get the "So, you think...." or "So, you're saying...." tactics:)

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

That is where they get their lines Ann ')

2 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

queenmargo

~~~~

diversion. Who is defending Smollet? I haven't seen that.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Well, blago was the one who said he was a political prisoner...and cooper was just pointing out that his situation was far different from that of, say, Mandela who was, in fact, a genuine political prisoner.

2 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

The left and right don't usually agree. But I am really dumbfounded, flummoxed here -- why why why is anybody here supporting Blagojevich? Aiming dirty looks at Cooper instead of at the perpetrator? Who would even go there? His criminal offer to sell the seat can be played back as often as you need to hear it. Why are there assumed to be two ways to look at this?

Save    
lurker111

cooper was just pointing out that his situation was far different from that of,

Of course it was. It's a different country, too. Mandela was used by cooper for his straw man argument.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

why is anybody here supporting Blagojevich?

Because he was railroaded by corrupt politicians.

Save    
Ann

I'm not supporting anyone, but in the interview, I think Anderson was a jerk. He could have asked questions and actually listened to the answers from the person he asked the question of, whether he likes or dislikes Blago and whether he would have liked or disliked Blago's answers. It would have made for a far more interesting and informative interview IMO.

2 Likes Save    
Gizmo

bleusblue2

queenmargo

~~~~

diversion. Who is defending Smollet? I haven't seen that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Smollet was supported when we thought he was a victim of a hate crime - as should any victim, initially,...then the story fell apart due to a good police investigation.

Now he should get what's coming to him for the (alleged) hoax.

Save    
chipotle

Worth watching to the very last word!

This is what real journalism looks like. It's not surprising that some of you don't get it.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

lol

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

He could have asked questions and actually listened to the answers from the person he asked the question of...

He could've done that...let blago fill the airwaves with his spin and lies. But instead he chose to not let him get away with it, reminding him of the truth of his situation which is he committed crimes, was found guilty, had appeals including to the SC, all of which turned him down. He was *not* a political prisoner as he claimed to be.

Truth matters.

6 Likes Save    
chipotle

Truth matters.

Unless you're a Trump supporter.

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

Omigosh, I only made it halfway through the OP video. If that's what passes for real journalism, no wonder we're in such a mess, with people trying to form reasonable opinions based on nothing but bias presented as fact. Cooper stepped on almost every sentence that Blagojevich tried to start. I hate it when people do that, on any network. Why should I even try to listen?

The people above who posted that Cooper was the one who brought up Mandela are absolutely right.

That was nothing more than a blatant display of editorial content disguised as an interview. Cooper was rude, disrespectful, and unprofessional. I had no interest in defending Blagojevich before seeing this, but that shoddy treatment will go a long way towards making people be a lot more sympathetic towards him. If that was Cooper's goal, good job.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Blago might as well jump in the race for election, lol.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

This is what real journalism looks like. It's not surprising that some of you don't get it.

If you think this is what real journalism looks like, you don't have a clue.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Off topic, but Blago really looks good with gray hair;))

Save    
Nana H

Then there is Hannity ,Tucker and Pirro ....real journalists

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Anderson is so far above all those so called journalists on FOX.

Actually for the amount that I could stand to sit through, it sounded to me like he learned very well from Fox. Just like the rest of the noise that makes up CNN’s prime time. An intelligent person can “take down” a guest without talking over then and putting words in their mouth. Sorry, but these antics don’t impress me.

ETA - just realized that while SOB’ing some noise I missed mudhouse’s post. Completely agree.

Save    
Toby

Blago took Anderson's example of a true political prisoner and tried to equate himself with Mandela. Anderson was having none of that. Good for him. Blago can go on Fox and play the political victim for them and see if he gets any sympathy there.

Save    
Nana H

He will and in spades....take it to the bank

Save    
queenmargo

LOL- what bank?

Save    
Nana H

How droll....

Save    
Ann

Does the "...." represent "mind you"?:)

Save    
Nana H

????

Save    
queenmargo

whatever

Save    
Ann

:)

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Blagojevich, the man who defines corrupt politicians was railroaded by corrupt politicians? Where did he find a more corrupt politician to railroad him? Lurker, I ask this honestly.. Where on earth?

Save    
lurker111

I accidentally reported this thread. I hit a key when I reached for my keyboard and a window opened that said "Thanks for reporting." The "undo" option didn't work.

Please ignore.

Save    
lurker111

Patriciae, He didn't find them. They came after him. It's all in the details.

Save    
barncatz

I wasn't overly impressed with Cooper's questioning and so didn't watch it all but I am confused by the idea that it will make Blago a more sympathetic figure.

My view of Blago's actions hasn't changed whether he was pardoned or because he was interviewed harshly or poorly or however it's viewed. Why should Cooper's bad behavior get translated into approval of other bad behavior? I honestly don't get that. Turn off CNN.

Anyway, if you want to read a thoughtful article about why these pardons happened- (sorry, guess that's sideways from the OP), go to the Atlantic site and read "This Is How Kleptocracies Work".

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/how-kleptocracies-work/606958/

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I agree barncatz...I don't get how cooper's behavior toward blago changes the facts of what he did or who he is. Someone shouldn't be redeemed or condemned just because someone else treats them harshly or kindly. They are who they are. They did what they did. They own it. They are responsible.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

Annie, as usual, you said it well.

Save    
Ann

"I wasn't overly impressed with Cooper's questioning and so didn't watch it all but I am confused by the idea that it will make Blago a more sympathetic figure."

Well, I think it's just a matter of when someone treats anyone quite unfairly, it tends to backfire. Look at Chris Matthews right now. He went too far with his comments on Saturday evening, was too unfair to Bernie, and I won't be surprised if Bernie's support increases rather than decreases. Another example is Hillary's deplorable comment. The biggest and best recent example is impeachment. All are very different examples, but the same kind of theme.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Togetherness Take 2: Is a Cohousing Community for You?
Missing that sense of connection? Consider the new breed of neighborhood with a communal bent
Full Story
Housekeeping Three Magic Words for a Clean Home and a Better Life
Not a natural tidying and organizing whiz? Take hope in one short phrase that can change your life forever
Full Story
Homes Around the World Houzz Tour: A New House With a Grand Old Face
This Surrey, England, house looks for all the world like its late-Georgian neighbors, but it’s secretly newer. Much newer
Full Story