SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nebbobear

Mixing metal types in bathroom

nebbobear
4 years ago

I am freshening up a bathroom without gutting it.

I have put in polished nickel faucets and I am wondering: can I keep the bronze light fixtures? If so should I get bronze cabinet hardware or should I stick to polished nickel? And the choices for mirrors is frame that is antiqued white to match the color that the cabinets will be painted or bronze or frameless… I seem to have always wind up with a mixture of contemporary and sweet cottage Look ... Can’t seem to make up my mind. I apologize if this wording is a little bit unintelligent but for some reason I cannot edit this

Comments (76)

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Design Interior South

Design Interior South do you have links for those fabrics or shower curtain. I like these lights after viewing the links you gave for lighting:https://www.houzz.com/products/z-lite-7000-3v-bn-3-light-vanity-prvw-vr~151340364I like how they look with light bulb going in on top ... my son who has special needs has been tapping light bulbs lately... or trying to now that we know what he wants to do... it would be a bit safer and allow us more time to catch him .............to be (.

........oh how frustrating that I can’t edit sometimes...apologies

• Related Discussions

How to mix metals in a bathroom?

Q

Comments (1)
    changing out the light and faucet is a start, but really, it's not much diff than what's already there you could easily get new hardware. maybe a matte black, or combined black and nickel If you want to modernize, how do you feel about doing a new floor? Painting the vanity? getting a new mirror? That tall, unframed one is just basic. I'd do a diff mirror, hang your new light, and paint your walls. doing a wainscot around the room is one way to bring in some interest. art over the toilet, new mirror Then I'd bring in some shelving or art (or both) over the toilet for some visual interest. do you have an idea of the type of look you want? what you have is nice, but it's builder basic. Doing some wallpaper is a start, but those floors are a little on the country side, so bringing in a modern type of paper may not jive well. you could always paint the vanity white, go w/black hardware, mirrors, and black ceiling (yours is tall so it would look fine). maybe do the shiplap or some other wall treatment.
    ...See More

Please help!!! Need advice in mixing metals in small bathroom.

Q

Comments (1)
    You can get away with doing it any number of ways. I'd probably keep the plumbing fixtures - sink and bath - the same. If it were me, I'd go with brushed nickel for for plumbing fixtures and either a white or thin black frame for mirror - but that doesn't mean you should.
    ...See More

Mixing Metals in Bathroom

Q

Comments (7)
    Hmm. Well, I am usually somewhat in favor of not worrying about mixing metals. But I am not sure in this case what you suggest is advisable, nor that it will fix your "contrast" concerns. I would consider something other than gray on the walls to avoid a completely gray and white color scheme, and would leave the fixtures as you have them.
    ...See More

Metal mixed with black in bathroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Depends on style of the vanity and the shape of the tiles… But I think gold or brass would work nicely.
    ...See More
  • nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think you can see by the shape of the cover that I lean toward traditional shapes and curvy things .. I may just choose cylinder shap rather than the one I sent link to although I like the above

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Interesting because your new faucet is more angular. I think the one you shared is acceptable but I think you can do better and find one that meets your desire for curves but is a more updated look. Definitely don't want the lightbulbs easily accessed then! Most fixtures can be hung shades up or shades down. So when you look at them keep that in mind. Maybe something more traditional with an actual shade would appeal to you and it wouldnt expose the bulb for easy access. This one would be especially lovely against the Sea Salt.

Maxim Lighting 12763WTPN Rondo · More Info

Here are some other options that will give you a more updated look This one likely comes in three or four I just came across it with two and thought you may like the curves of it,

Bathroom Vanity 2 Light With Polished Nickel Finish Metal Medium 21 inch 200 Wat · More Info

Craftmade Modina Chrome Casual Vanity w/ 3 Light 60W - 38063-CH · More Info

Hinkley Lighting 5594BN-LED Meridian · More Info

Think of this turned up.

Bathroom Vanity 3-Light With Polished Chrome Finished E Bulbs 21" 300W · More Info

Shower Curtain in Blue and White · More Info

Lush Decor Avon Chenille Trellis Shower Curtain Pastel Blue 72X72 · More Info

Here are the sources for shades/fabrics. I found some on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/751540038/teal-green-and-brown-faux-mock-roman?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_campaign=shopping_us_FauxShadesbyPWV_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=12452910&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0uLfm6zr5wIV3f_jBx0Z7AUZEAQYFiABEgIGZ_D_BwE

https://www.perigold.com/Duralee-Fabrics--Woodside-Print-Fabric-21003--L3367-K~CRAL5781.html?refid=GX257485599758-CRAL5781_16608327&device=c&ptid=431333834562&targetid=pla-431333834562&ireid=27759079&PiID%5B%5D=16608327&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz6rS_Kzr5wIVef7jBx0Z3wUaEAQYAyABEgKDw_D_BwE&experiencetype=1

nebbobear thanked Design Interior South
  • nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ohhhh I like the lights!!!!!

• eastautumn
    4 years ago

nebbobear I love mixing metals in bathrooms and you can definitely make it work. We didn't mix metals in our small powder bath or kids' bath, but mixed old brass lighting with oil-rubbed bronze fixtures in our master bath and chrome fixtures with touches of gold/brass in our recent basement bathroom. It can look great if you make sure to have at least a couple of elements in each finish so it looks intentional.

homechef59 Do you recommend any specific YouTube videos for using Rub'n Buff on metal? I just got a tube of "Gold Leaf" Rub'n Buff last week to try on a brassy metal bathroom shelf that isn't the finish it appeared to be in the online picture, but then read the packaging and it says it's for porous surfaces so I was worried it wouldn't work. I haven't ever used it so I'm intimidated to get started. I'll poke through some YouTube videos tomorrow but just wondered if you would recommend any particular one.

nebbobear thanked eastautumn
  • homechef59
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

eastautum, No particular one. There are a bunch of them. Just jump around and fast forward. It's really pretty easy. Do wear gloves. You can either use your finger or a rag to apply. I initially ordered a three pack of gold finishes. Then, I chose the best one for my purposes. I started to do that with my bathroom lighting fixtures and ordered two silver finishes. But, I didn't like how the test area was working with my particular fixture. That is why I ended up priming and spray painting the fixtures in the bathroom.

I ordered this fixture. When it showed up, it was a completely different color. It looked more like copper than gold. It was definitely not this color.

Blakely 3-Light Foyer; Includes Flush Mount Option, Antique Gold · More Info

This is what I ended up doing with it using the rubandbuff

Alpine · More Info

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ohh that’s very pretty!!!!!

• eastautumn
    4 years ago

I think I remember your thread! You had the pink dining room and were planning to paint it Hale Navy if I remember correctly. Would love to see it now :)

I had the same experience as far as ordering this shelf that looked perfect online, but IRL it doesn't look like the stock photos at all... It's much a much lighter gold. Not unattractive by any means, but not what I wanted, and it doesn't relate well with the gilded mirror and other gold touches in the room. I want the finish to look like it does in the picture.

So glad to see how well the Rub'n Buff worked for your light fixture! Do you remember which gold finish you ended up using? It turned out great. I feel kind of silly changing the finish on a brand new item, but I do love the size and shape and haven't found anything else I like as well. Judging from online photos I think I'd prefer Grecian Gold over the Gold Leaf to achieve the look I'm going for (photo below), but they don't carry that finish at our local store.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

That's the right dining room. It's not painted, yet. Got sidetracked working on the bathroom due to a shower pan leak. One more big project, landscaping, before I can get to interior paint. Maybe in the summer.

I used Antique Gold in the Rubnbuff. I bought a three pack of gold and a two pack of silver on Amazon. The other two were gold leaf and Grecian gold. It really doesn't cost that much. I'd get the three pack and compare. I would have picked the wrong one if I had selected it from the internet.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Oh yes, please share any updates on your dining room! Such a beautiful home!

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Design interior south- - I am ordering fabric and trim samples for the faux Roman shade

... I am ordering one of the lights... your choices hit the spot for me.... yes I’m surprised at myself for my faucet choices that are contemporary.. I like Moen but didn’t want to spend the $$ for the design I loved ...

I love the sea salt Paint I used in the daylight but at night it looks a greenish color.

Thanks I’m excited about the vision you instilled.

i like the button shower curtain so very much but since my college boy and other son use this bathroom mostly, I may use the geometric pattern .., then again they don’t really care so maybe I should just do what I like best.

Thank you!!!!!!

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ll send photos when I’m done

and

Home Chef I have a little chandelier that I love in my foyer but I’ve gone off the color.....I’d love to try that gold idea you gave above... when I get around to it I’ll post that

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Nebbobear I am glad you have found your direction and some of the choices are working out for you! I have two boys and a girl myself and I know all about choices where they are concerned. My daughter will always give me an opinion my boys answer is always "I don't care". Yet , still, I have always tried to create a space I felt was appropriate for them. They are now 26 and 23 and I realize that they weren't being flippant teens when I asked they really didn't care LOL! My advice create a space you love that meets your check list.

Sea Salt paint can definitely go green especially if the lighting has a yellow cast to it. You may try switching your bulbs to a clear light. That said the green is still pretty!

Cant wait to see the after and which light you chose!

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I ordered the lights with the lampshade ... They are polished nickel and everything else is brushed nickel in my bathroom… Does the more shiny nickel go well with the brushed? Just wanted to doublecheck before I have them put up… It doesn’t bother me but the guy putting them up said “well didn’t you want brushed?”

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

That was my favorite light out of all of them. The metals will be fine together.

nebbobear thanked Design Girl
  • nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you!!! I’ll keep it ... I almost just kept my bronze but now I am getting pickier and pickier lol!!! The light is very cute .. the shades are bigger than expected but still very cute

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not up yet.. I’ll take some photos afterward

• homechef59
    4 years ago

I don't think there is an issue between brushed and polished. I suspect it will be fine. Looking forward to the pictures.

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks home chef ... I have a crafty question for you ... where the new faucet is on one of the sinks there is a yellow stain because the base of the faucet is a different shape than the other one… I tried bleach… I tried a little bit of sanding… Right now I cannot do the vanity top switch ...so just have to make do but wondering if you’ve ever tried that countertop paint or are there easier solutions

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m talking about the paint that makes it look sort of like granite

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

The mixed composition on the metals will be fine and create more interest. Looking forward to seeing it installed!

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I figured that it was ok since you recommended it but then again I second guessed that maybe you thought it was available in brushed nickel... I’m sure my little nook isn’t perfect but to me it is quite pleasing ...I wish I had a before of the ugly wallpaper… It looks like two totally separate bathrooms

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

It is looking great!

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is the first part of the two part bathroom ...next is the inner part... That is the part with the little square tile… I am going to get the faux Roman blind in the swatch pictured ... The shower curtain doesn’t seem to match the wall paint so well but the material of the blind really pulls everything together and I just love the shower curtain so I’m not going to care that much… I do have a basement bathroom I can use it in if I really don’t like it up here… I still have to steam that and I also am including a picture of the sink yellow spot… Honestly if I changeThe vanity tops and tub and toilet I would be totally happy with this

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also the shower curtain Is hanging over the old one plus I need to change the rusty little hardware at the end of the rod

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m so appreciative To the input from each one… I always hold other advice in my mind that I didn’t take for future reference...Grateful you each took a gander and gave me advice..When I get the raux Roman blind in I’ll take another photo

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Faux!!😄

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

The shower curtain is certainly brighter than it was pictured , so much so that I wonder if it came in two different colors? That said it isnt bad with the paint but definitely different than what I had anticipated. I do think softer as originally pictured would be better. That said the fabric you have up for the shade is bolder too so as you said it may pull it all together..

Is the yellow spot you're talking about caused from the new faucet or was it there before?

Love the lighting. It looks nice and fresh and lovely against the paint color. Have you priced out new counters? and sinks? If that is all it would take to make you completely satisfied I would at least get that priced out so you have a goal. I would do a simple clean soft white quartz.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

My guess is that is a cultured surface top. Very common for this era. I suggest purchasing a product at Lowe's or Home Depot called CLR. It removes rust stains. I bet this is a rust stain. Just follow directions.

If it was real marble a baking soda poultice would work.

nebbobear thanked homechef59
  • salonva
    4 years ago

That light is gorgeous. It really transforms the room. Looks GREAT!!!!

nebbobear thanked salonva
  • nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love the lighting.

the shower curtain was in one color but of course it’s hard to know if a fabric color online will be the same. the seatch does come in the lighter color you saw, Design Interior South, but it looks so washed out.

mom wondering if it was a bad sample and I thought of calling them ...the shower curtain

isn’t the best for the spot and I haven’t used it so I may pack it up and send it back. I had just hung it for photos. Plus the linen material isn’t practical for that bathroom .. but the style is so cute.

no I did not price that out yet but plan to.!!!

i like your taste Design Intetior South!!

Thank you Home Chef!! I am going to try that product....I had tried baking soda (my fave “go to”!)but it didn’t work...

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry for typos .....mom should’ve been “I’m”

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Here is an idea, especially if you sew. Or you could find a seamstress. What about ordering some extra fabric and making a shower curtain that has white on the bottom and the fabric on the top, same design as the shower curtain , and sew some great large buttons on it or upholster buttons for it.

I am happy this is working out for you and happy to have been of help for you.

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have a new sewing machine and haven’t opened the box yet... that’s an idea! But..I have a bit of an overwhelming life ..so i may be able to find someone to do it!!!! That would be very cute...

• homechef59
    4 years ago

I'm going to suggest the hook less shower curtains found at JCPenny. They have about a dozen to select from and the prices are right. I've used them in all of my baths that need a shower curtain. I tend to use the all white with a tone on tone pattern. I think that would look very nice in this bath with that pretty blue wall.

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i don’t have the type of rod for those ..I’d have to unscrew whole thing each time I wash them .. i looked and I do like the tone on tone... I like how easy it is to launder them

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They sell the linen one in gray and Also navy at bed bath and beyond but I don’t care for those colors.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

I have fixed rods. They do fit. You don't have to take the rod down.

• nebbobear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ohhhh I guess I am letting the photo deceive me... I’ll check that out!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!