SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_208531504

Your experience with Cloe tile in White - what color is it?

Vera
4 years ago

I am considering Cloe tile (example picture below) in white for my kitchen backsplash to go with White Dove cabinets. There are lots of pictures of it online and I love the subtle color variations from white to gray. Unfortunately, it is not sold in Canada, so I cannot look at it at a store. I ordered one sample and it is quite bright white, probably a bit brighter than the cabinets, I realize that to truly evaluate it, I will need to see more samples, since there are color variations. And it is quite a cumbersome, slow and expensive procedure to order samples one by one using a mail forwarding service.

So I was wondering... if you have white Cloe tile installed, or you have considered it for your projects, could you please share your experience? Does it read white, off-white or grey on the whole? What is the range of color variations? Is there a big difference between the lightest light and the darkest dark?

Thank you!

Comments (424)

• realtorjess1081
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Kimberly Blakeley Thank you so much! We renovated an old farm house so a high end kitchend didn't seem appropriate and it wasn't in the budget. So, the cabients are not custom - they are Fabuwood Galaxy Frost. :) The wall color is Sherwin Williams - Agreeable Gray. Hope this helps!

• cicimc
    last year

@lily i know thread quite old now but how did you get on with Equipe La Riviera? what colour did you go for? i got sample but my local tile store could only source ’melange’ apparently ’blanc’ not available in Ireland at all. The melange I’ve seen online has hues of blue and pink which is offputting. i also got samples of Souk Pearl by Ape Grupo so might use as plan B. Have it in a bathroom already.

Thanks

• Related Discussions

Your experience with Kashmir white granite?

Q

Comments (17)
    We had originally put a couple slabs of kashmir white on hold and were setting up to have it fabricated for our kitchen. I loved it and went home to look up photos of kitchens with this granite and instead I found site after site of people complaining about staining. It really freaked me out and I brought up my concerns with our fabricator. They doubled sealed a sample of the kashmir white for us to take home and I did some testing with it. I put a few different things on the granite for about 10-20 minutes. Tomato sauce, oil and juice. All 3 stained horribly after I cleaned them off. I have read there are things you can do to get out stains but I certainly did not want to deal with a high maintenance granite like that, especially with 3 young children. We ditched the kashmir and went with something darker. I do like the look of the kashmir better though.
    ...See More

What has been your experience with White Swan?

Q

Comments (5)
    I had White Swan at my other house. It was in an area with purple coneflower, and I'm not sure whether it petered out over the course of time or whether it reverted, but it eventually disappeared. It was nice while it lasted, but truth be told I prefer Shastas -- the white of White Swan isn't the clean, sparkling white of daisies, and I consider daisies the ultimate cheerful flower. Funny though -- I couldn't grow a Shasta to save my life at the other house, there was just something about the soil or environment that they balked at. I finally just gave up. Here? My daisies are glorious :0)
    ...See More

Cloe Tile in Bathroom - What to use for shower pan and flooring!!

Q

Comments (1)
    There must be two billion showers with white subway tile in the shower. What is the vanity. What feel do you want in the space? What are the near bedroom colors? .......and there are more than a billion porcelain tiles in every color one can imagine. Many of which have a matching mosaic for a shower floor. You need to be a participant in the design of your own space before anyone can really advise. : ))
    ...See More

Cloe White tile in shower and grey vanity.... need floor advice?

Q

Comments (4)
    IO the hair is thre and I would rather see it but as for the florof the shower or the bathroom floor which are you asking about.I do not like ceramic tile and I also do not like subway tile for shower walls since the more grout lines the harder to keep clean if you have not bought any tile yet My choice is 12 x24 porcelain tile for the bathroom floor and the the shower walls if you really love the Cloe use it for a vertcal stripe in the shower and the vanity backsplash and use a smaller same color porcelian tile for the shower floor . You could use a porcelain tile that looks like cararra marble if you want a bit of glamour.
    ...See More
  • ATHENA BARCHINI
    last year

I just redid my kitchen with Cloe white. While I love the tile, and it looks gorgeous with my Chantilly lace cabinets, there are many greige/beige tiles in it that make the overall effect too creamy for my bright white Calacatta Leon counters. I didn’t receive those greige/beige in the samples and they make the backsplash much warmer than I wanted. I’m crushed. It’s a beautiful tile but i wish I had known to tell the tiler to remove them from his stack. I feel like it has changed my entire color palette.
    Please be aware if this if you have bright white counters. I don’t have a picture with me.

• Christina Olson
    last year

Here is my cloe tile. I chose SW alabaster for the cabinets. It does look a little too yellow in the late afternoon with the cloe tile if I’m being picky. I probably should of did pure white. However, it was tricky with our shelves by the fireplace in the open floor plan. The stone is very warm so I needed a warmer white. I love the subtle variation in color on the tile. I appreciate everyone’s help on this thread.

• Sheridan Ringhiser
    last year

Which grout color is everyone using. i had picked warm gray from mapei but Im rethinking white for the grout to blend. i am

paranoid about the white grout yellowing.

help

• floethe4
    last year

I used a white that was a little warmer. Prism brand from home depot. Snow white. it is perfect

• Steph Creen
    last year

@Sheridan Ringhiser We used Avalanche. It's the perfect white. Not too bright. It's MAPEI Ultracolor Plus FA from Floor and Decor and has sealer in it.

• tatuggle
    last year

I used dove gray from TEC with sealant in it

• Erin Freibert
    last year

I don’t know if this has already been asked or not, but did anyone sort through their Cloe tile to make sure that when it was installed the variation was “random” enough or did you all find that the boxes were random enough that it didn’t matter? I just don’t want it to be a big group of lighter tiles followed by darker and so on and so forth.

• Kimberly Blakeley
    last year

Yes I did, and it was worth it. There were a couple spots where I missed & installer did not notice. Those spots I am a bit disappointed with- everything else I am glad I laid out for the tiler

• realtorjess1081
    last year

@Erin Freibert I was concerneda about this as well. First I tried to section off each color - that was impossible. So I decided to divide them by light, medium and dark tone - and then we just pulled from each of those three piles. That gave enough variety in the pattern. I was on site when the tile work was done so that if I saw a grouping starting to form that I wanted to break up, I could swap out a few tiles. This strategy worked well for me.

• Erin Freibert
    last year

That’s exactly how I’m trying to group them! I have absolutely no light in my house right now so it’s been an excruciating process, but I’m hoping I can get them out in the natural light at some point. Once you separated them, did you just mix them all together randomly or did you have the installer just pull from each pile randomly? I would love to lay it out before they install, but I don’t know that I will be able to do that. I laid out my floor tile where I wanted each piece installed (I’m doing the Bedrosians Calacatta Gold marble hex), but then it got presealed so it’s all mixed up again and I have to redo it… I’m pretty sure everyone thinks I’m insane, but I’m the one who has to live with it! Haha.

• keglf5
    last year

@Laurapetro Your kitchen looks beautiful! We are considering Lakedale for the counters and Cloe tile backsplash as well. Your pictures are so helpful. I would love to see more pics of your finished kitchen and up close photos with both counter and backsplash.

• Alaina Parsons
    last year

@Christina Olson Im in love with how your kitchen came out as im going for a ”warmer” look as well. Do you mind sharing your counter tops? Alsi what grout color did you use with your tiles? Thanks so much!

• acdclosgatos
    last year

@Christina Olson- THANK YOU for posting pics of your kitchen! I have the same Sherwin Williams Alabaster on my cabinets. I have been tormented trying to get a similar off-white tile or tile that has shades of white and off-white that are similar to SW Alabaster. I had reluctantly chosen Cloe in white glossy rectangles but your pictures have reassured me that white Cloe tiles will work.

I am using stainless steel countertops for the perimeter counters and a porcelain slab for my island that is a composite of beach tones- sand, sea-shell orange brown, blue, blue-grey, & copper in the mix of white & off-white - See picture.

I love my slab since I got a copper farmhouse/ front apron sink which goes over blue island cabinets. See- picture.

I plan on tiling the entire kitchen countertop to the ceiling around my windows so there are no painted walls in the kitchen (cabinets go to ceiling). After reading additional posts, I will buy extra and filter out the tiles that are too grey.

I have seen some Cloe white tile boxes with predominantly grey tiles and I have seen other Cloe white boxes that have more off-white variations.

• KT Brown
    last year

Does anyone have Cloe white with SW Extra White cabinets? Countertops are MSI Carrara Marmi. Would love pics if you have either, or know if they'd work. Awaiting my samples!

• Rebecca Moore
    last year

@Sheridan Ringhiser What grout did you end up going with? I'm thinking Alabaster to go with our white cloe, for warmth, but worried the grout will stand out too much. Did you go with white grout? Are you still worried about yellowing?

• Christina Olson
    last year

Sorry, Alaina. I’m just seeing this. My countertops are Bianco Superiore. It’s quartzite. I used a warm white grout. I can’t remember the name of it. It was recommended on this thread.

• chloebud
    last year

@KT Brown, I see your question was last month but have these pix (from online) showing SW Extra White cabinets and white Cloe backsplash.

• Wendy
    last year

Has anyone used close tile in white for a fireplace? Trying to find photos online but would like real pictures/advice. We had limestone installed on our fireplace face and it just didn’t dry, looks blotchy and stained so we need a new material. Thinking of doing cloe in white in vertical stack for both the warm and cool tones.

• .. ..
    last year

@realtorjess1081 love your kitchen! Can you share the cabinet paint colors - lowers and uppers?

• dani_m08
    last year

@Wendy - I’ve seen at least two fireplaces with Cloe White tiles on Houzz - but I think they are buried in one of a few really long posts re: Cloe White tile. Someone did a herringbone pattern - looked great!

I think they are in one of these two posts:

Around 350 comments :

OR

Around 200 comments:

• dani_m08
    last year

@Christina Olson - Beautiful kitchen!!! What color is your island?

• Christina Olson
    last year

SW Evergreen Fog

• dani_m08
    last year

@Christina Olson- I had a feeling that it was SW Evergreen Fog! Looks beautiful!

I’m thinking about using it in a bathroom - and I used Cloe White tiles in bathtub/shower surround!

• dani_m08
    last year

@Wendy- I found some of the fireplaces with Cloe tile installed!

This was by Houzz user in one of the threads I listed above:

• dani_m08
    last year

@Wendy - I don’t know if you’d be interested in other colors of Cloe besides white :

It would also look nice if you used gray:

Not a fireplace - but looks nice with an offset vertical stack.

This isn’t Cloe Black - but it would look similar if you installed Cloe Black in a vertical stack:

Hope these help.

• Wendy
    last year

This helps! Thanks so much! Love these!!

• Design Girl
    last year

I have it in my kitchen and had to hand pick each tile. It’s absolutely gorgeous though.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    last year

Design Girl any suggestions on how to hand pick the tile? Also your kitchen is gorgeous!! What are your countertops and cabinet color?

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    last year

@designgirl

• Design Girl
    last year

Thank you so much!!! What i did was over order on the tile so i think i got 3 or 4 extra boxes so i could sort through them, what i did was sort them in piles. White, Gray, Dark Gray, and then cream. Quartz countertops in calcatta gold, and my cabinent color is pure white.

• Design Girl
    last year

You can really see the differences here - just took this picture

• Mary
    last year

@Christina Olson Love, love your counter stools!  Can you share where you got them?

• dani_m08
    last year

@Design Girl - did you order so many extra in order to remove a certain color from your backsplash (example, remove the ones that were more creamy vs. a cooler white or gray?)

I think that maybe was more what @Business_Name_Placeholder meant when asking question. I know that several people on here have explained about sorting colors to make sure that they didn’t wind up with a wall with patches of of too many similarly colored tiles vs. a good blend of the tile colors. Plus, different boxes may have slightly different tints so mixing the boxes together is a good idea. However, I also remember reading a comment where someone ordered quite a few more boxes in order to remove all of the darker gray tiles.

• Design Girl
    last year

@dani_m08 i see im sorry, but oh no, i never removed any colors i just sorted them to the best of my abilities. I had read that the whites were the hard ones to come across and thats why i ordered extra boxes. I was lucky and all my boxes had roughly the same tints when comparing them to white, cream, gray, and dark gray. Some boxes had a few really really dark gray ones so i sorted those and spaced them in a few areas. I will say i do remember a few boxes having ALOT of the same color in there specifically the light gray ones. Sorry i did my tile forever ago so i am trying to remember exactly how i did it.

• Caroline Kelly Kryger
    last year

@christina olsen, Your kitchen is gorgeous ! It looks very intentional . It looks like more of what I’m seeing in 2023 than 10 years ago with the all white palette . Layered whites have so much dimension . Creamy white , gray white, taupe white, it all looks so nice together .

• duffwny
    12 months ago

Hello All, I’m wondering where I can purchase a few samples of Cloe white tiles . I can purchase some samples not to size but they are not representive of the size and color variation Any help is appreciated

• N C
    11 months ago

This is definitely replacing subway tile which was "you redid your kitchen between 2010 to 2020". From 2020 to 2030: "Wow you got those multi-tonal, faux handmade tiles." Both are beautiful but they certainly evoke their era.

• Fountainhead
    11 months ago

@Design Girl Can you tell me what window treatment you have in the kitchen for the sliding door and the window? Gorgeous kitchen BTW!

• Christina Olson
    11 months ago

Stools are from Target. They are called Ceylon.

• Lisa
    11 months ago

N C thats one of my concerns with installing them. the Cloe or Portmore look really nice and its convenient that the multiple tones can tie in disparate colors, but are they just *too* popular and trendy? I'm trying to find a small solid square tile but struggling to find exactly the right color.

• HU-918119203
    11 months ago

I think it's a nice default choice, but it is definitely today's white subway tile. That said, most people aren't actively renovating their kitchens and thus aren't constantly looking at photos of kitchens and therefore probably won't clock that this tile has become ubiquitous in new kitchens. Those of us in the process see the same things over and over again which magnifies the degree to which they seem played out.

• Janet .D
    11 months ago

@duffwny I just ordered a few samples of Cloe from Bedrosian's website. They sent me the full size subways. They are $1 per sample and you can choose how many pieces you want.

• dani_m08
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

@duffwny - if you really want to see what Cloe tile looks like, I suggest ordering a box from Lowe’s or Amazon (Walmart might also have it - I bought a different color of Cloe tile through Walmart last year because the return policy allowed me to take it back to a brick and mortar Walmart store - even though it was shipped to me directly from Bedrosian). Both have free shipping and free returns.

Also, when I purchased it - and placed a bunch of tiles out on my kitchen island, it looked like it had less color variation - but when I took a photo of it with my phone, the variation looked the same as in other photos I’d seen posted on Houzz and on Bedrosian’s IG page.

The price of Cloe tile has dramatically increased since I purchased it for my kitchen + bathroom two years ago - I think it was about $6.99 sf!

Lowe’s has a 90 day return policy (can return to actual store and save shipping cost):

Amazon has free shipping and free returns for 30 days (fyi - I have seen the price fluctuate quite a bit on Amazon):

This says ”Free 30 day returns” - but then has 90 days when clicked. When I purcjased, I called and was told I could return to a Walmart store within 90 days.

• AD117
    7 months ago

What color Sherwin Williams white walls work welll with the cloe white backsplashes? My cabinets seem to be closest to SW Extra White, but I read that cafe appliances (which we will be getting) matches well with SW Pure White. The one Cloe sample tile that I have looks closest to Snowbound or Elder White. Help?

• bmalomo
    3 months ago

@Design Girl love your kitchen. can you share what color you used for your grout please

• Nancy Fazzalari
    2 months ago

Hi Vera,
    So happy I found your post. I’m from Canada and planning a bathroom renovation. Been eyeing the Chloe but as you discovered difficult to buy here. I also picked up Equire Artisan White but wondered if they were the same. Glad to read your research found them both the same. Wasn’t sure …I am considering vertical stack in the shower and horizontal around the tub. would you be open to sharing a photo of the finished product?

• Rachelle Henry
    2 months ago

houzz://user/caolson21 what is the countertop in your kitchen?

• Rachelle Henry
    2 months ago

Christina Olson- what is the countertop in your kitchen?