SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti_yohe

Remodel master tub/shower with tile or SS panels

Peke (Patti)
4 years ago

Currently, we have an alcove whirlpool tub with tiles on the wall. No leaks that I know of. We will know more about leaks after demolition. So I need to know where to begin.

From sheetrock wall to sheetrock wall, the measurement is 57 3/4 inches. From ceramic tile back to edge of tub is 33 inches.

1. If I put a tub back in, I do not have to worry about a shower pan leaking. What length tub do I order? Is the tub itself actually longer than my dimensions? Should I buy a 5 ft x 3 ft tub?

2. With a tub, I can choose either solid surface walls or tile walls. Will solid surface walls be less likely to leak because there is less caulking/grouting/seams?

3. If I choose a solid surface shower pan, will I have more chances for leaks? I have no idea what is under the tub now. What kind of changes will have to be made to change from tub to shower pan?

Highly skilled "good" contractors will need to drive 1.5 to 2 hours one way to get where I live. That means 3-4 hours per day is driving time. Trip charges would be a huge chunk of the cost. Plus it would take forever to get finished.

4. Would a tub installation with solid surface walls be finished quicker than any other combination?

5. Where do most showers leak? Corners?

Thanks.

Comment