Red Notice....recommended reading

Annie Deighnaugh

I haven't even finished it yet but I would suggest all trump supporters...and everyone else... read this to be reminded of how evil the russian state is. It is the story of Magnitsky, the murdered accountant for whom the Magnitsky Act was named and how it all came about.

There has been so much in it that I find so important to understand, but a couple of notable things:

...He [Magnitsky] saw Russian not how it was but how he wanted it to be.

Because of this, he didn't realize that Russia had no rule of law, it has a rule of men.

And those men were crooks.

He also tells a Russian story which illustrates the Russian mindset. A Russian is granted one wish by a magic talking fish, and while he's thinking about what to wish for, the magic fish tells him that, whatever he wishes for, two of the same will be given to all his neighbors. Without skipping a beat, the villager says, "In that case, please poke one of my eyes out."

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Notice-Finance-Murder-Justice/dp/1476755744/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VDRL8UIVZO7V&keywords=red+notice+by+bill+browder&qid=1582149795&sprefix=red+notice%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1

SaveComment12Like5
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lurker111

Pelosi and the nuthouse crats comes to mind.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

Bingo.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Lolololol!

2 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Bill Browder thought he was writing in order to bring a measure of justice to Mr. Magnitsky. Little could he have imagined his book would serve as a textbook for the credible reality of what a world influenced/led by Putin could look like.

7 Likes Save    
cattyles

I read it last year. I couldn’t put it down.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Your jokes and derision may give you some kind of pleasure; but, especially after reading how Magnitsky suffered, was tortured and beaten to death because he was doing the right thing and refused to falsely incriminate anyone or lie about the criminal behavior he uncovered, I find them particularly distasteful.

8 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I finished the book....just stunning. I highly recommend it for many reasons.

It was written in 2015 and it talked about the russian adoption issue was putin's response to the Magnitsky Act...so when trump lied and said his trump tower meeting with the russians was about adoptions, it really was about the sanctions on russia for which russia is still going after Bill Browder for.

https://www.axios.com/putin-foe-bill-browder-davos-russian-spies-f3bd65f1-6609-42a5-bedb-629f87bd6427.html

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

There's a reason why trump is so afraid of putin and russia...they play for keeps.

5 Likes Save    
texanjana(8)

After I heard Bill Browder on Preet Bharara’s podcast, I read the book. Gripping and frightening!

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

In the book he mentions a number of you tube videos he created to help bring attention to what the russians did to Magnitsky. There are now quite a few videos including interviews with Browder. Each time I hear the story, it is no less heartbreaking. And I am glad that an advocate such as Browder exists...I wish there were more like him.

6 Likes Save    
petalique

Agree. And let’s remember the Helsinki conference. Trump meets privately with Putin. Putin has a smile and a bounce as he jauntily hops up on the stage with trump after their private tote-a-tête-à-tête.

Trump states:

—- Putin says Russia didn’t interfere with the US 2016 presidential election (despite US intelligence declaring that the Russians did exactly that). Trump says he believes the Russians instead of US intelligence.

—- Trump, going along with Putin’s suggestion, puts forward the insane idea that we take Putin up on his offer to “help” the US investigate the matter — maybe work hand in hand with US intelligence officers. (What could go wrong? whatta anti-American genius! Dupe.)

—- Trump shows great enthusiasm for the corrupt, murderous dictator Putin’s idea of the US sending certain individuals (maybe like Bill Browder — who Putin put a Red Notice on via Interpol, and maybe Ambassador Michael McFaul) to Russia so that Putin and his associates could interview them. (Interview them to a bloody pulp as was done to Magnitsky.)

Trumpers we’re not troubled by this outrageous offering that Trump sincerely put forth on Putin’s behalf. What a groveling useful idiot. It’s lost on Trump’s fans. Willful denial. Their “savior” can do no wrong. They are so tightly bound emotionally. It isn’t about trump, though. Their blind, fierce defense of him, no matter what, speaks to some deep-seated emotional neediness inside of them. The are enthralled by who they (wrongly) perceive Trump to be (for their needs). This is why no concrete, provable fact, eyewitness event, or any truth that threatens their intense belief can penetrate their defenses. Their identity and community is this belief.

5 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

Wait till the recession comes. For brick and mortar retailers it is already here. Afterward, instead of taking people back on, companies will be loaded up with robots. Anyone in power will get the blame by the masses of unemployed.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Exterior Color of the Week: Rich, Fall-Friendly Reds
Look to the crimsons and burgundies of turning autumn leaves for a deep, captivating home color
Full Story
Feel-Good Home What You’re Reading This Summer — and Where
Check out Houzzers’ summer reading lists and get some ideas for your own!
Full Story
Rugs Don't Touch Another Stain Before You Read This
Even an innocent swipe with water may cause permanent damage. Here's what to know about how rugs and fabrics react
Full Story