Queen Elizabeth Bans H&M From Using Lucrative 'Sussex Royal' Brand

catkinZ8a

Hmmmmm.....

Queen BANS Prince Harry and Meghan Markle from using lucrative 'Sussex Royal' brand that they hoped to use to build new lives because 'they simply cannot sell themselves as Royals’

• The Duke and Duchess of Sussex spent tens of thousands of pounds on a new Sussex Royal website and their hugely popular Instagram feed
  • Couple sought to register Sussex Royal as global trademark for a range of items and activities, including clothing, stationery, books and social-care services
  • Also looked to set up a new charitable organisation – Sussex Royal, The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex
  • But the Queen and senior officials are believed to have agreed it is no longer tenable for Harry and Meghan to keep the word 'royal' in their 'branding'

By REBECCA ENGLISH ROYAL CORRESPONDENT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 17:05 EST, 18 February 2020 | UPDATED: 22:10 EST, 18 February 2020

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex must drop their 'Sussex Royal' label after deciding to step down as working royals.

Following lengthy and complex talks, the Queen and senior officials are believed to have agreed it is no longer tenable for the couple to keep the word 'royal' in their 'branding'.

Harry and Meghan have spent tens of thousands of pounds on a new Sussex Royal website to complement their hugely popular Instagram feed.

They have also sought to register Sussex Royal as a global trademark for a range of items and activities, including clothing, stationery, books and teaching materials.

In addition, they have taken steps to set up a new charitable organisation: Sussex Royal, The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

It has now been made clear that they will need to 're-brand'.

The Mail understands that, amid what has been described as a 'complex' situation, the 'fine detail' is still being thrashed out.

However, it is understood the couple have accepted that, as part of their new working arrangements, they will not be able to use the Sussex Royal name as they had hoped.

The development is thought to represent a major blow to the Sussexes, who now face starting again and re-registering everything from their website to their charity under a new label.

Harry and Meghan first began using the Sussex Royal branding this time last year, after they split their household from that of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – known as Kensington Royal.

The Sussexes' Instagram page, @sussexroyal, has amassed 11.2million followers – the same number of fans as William and Kate's account.

It was a natural progression, therefore, for Harry and Meghan to use the moniker for their new charitable foundation, due to be launched this year with the support of Buckingham Palace.

And as they secretly prepared for a new life in Canada, it was clear that Sussex Royal was at the forefront of Harry and Meghan's plans.

Dozens of trademark applications were made for everything from bandanas to notebooks – although sources have always stressed that these were preventative measures to protect the trademark from others, and never intended for commercial use.

The couple also privately commissioned a new website. It went live last month to coincide with their bombshell announcement, with the introduction: 'Welcome to the Sussex Royal community, your source for information on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.'

Announcing Her Majesty's decision to allow her grandson and his wife to pursue a new life abroad, officials made clear that the Sussex Royal title would still need to be re-evaluated.

All members of the family – including Harry and Meghan – were involved in the discussions, and it is understood they all agreed that, in light of the Sussexes' decision to step back, their use of the word 'royal' would come into question.

Now, as well as giving up their HRH titles for work purposes and abandoning official appointments and patronages – including Harry's military roles – the Sussex Royal brand will have to be abandoned.

Such is the sensitivity around the issue, Buckingham Palace officials would not discuss the developments last night.

A source told the Mail: 'In many ways this is inevitable given their decision to step down, but it must surely come as a blow to the couple as they have invested everything into the Sussex Royal brand The Queen would have had little choice, however.

'The Sussexes' original plan – of being half-in, half-out working royals – was never going to work. Obviously, as the Queen has made clear, they are still much-loved members of her family.

Full:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8018043/Queen-BANS-Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-using-Sussex-Royal-brand-cost-thousands.html

SaveComment56Like1
Comments (56)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youngquinn_gw

IMO Harry has every right to leave the Royal family I do , however object to he and his wife trying to cash in on that very connection. The only reason we have ever heard of Harry is because he is a member of the British Royal family.

I snorted at his comment that he and Meghan were going to work to become self sufficient...as he has an inherited wealth conservatively valued at $80million dollars. (from his Mother and great Grandmother) Live a private life Harry and Meghan and good luck to you but dont try and cash in on what you have spurned.

6 Likes Save    
bpath reads banned books too(5b)

I never liked the overly-sibilant sound of Sussex. His other titles are also problematic: Earl of Dumbarton can lead to too much teasing, and Baron Kilkeel is also hard to say. The Queen is doing him a favor for marketing, now they can choose a better name for their foundation and organization.

2 Likes Save    
how2girl

Sussex sells ;))

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

The queen is very wise, amazingly spry given her age. I agree with her decision, Sussex Royal is quite tacky. Further, if they wanna make it on their own, they should do so. They have a boat load of money, and they don’t need ride on the coattails of Harry’s Royal legacy.

5 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

I don't get why Harry is doing this. Meghan kissed a prince and he turned into a frog.

5 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

bpath, thank you for the new word. If I were clever I would find a string of nice sounding 's' adjectives to describe my gratitude, but clever I am not this morning ;-)

1 Like Save    
terezosa / terriks

I can't say that I can work up much sympathy for a couple of multi-millionaires. 🎻 🎶

3 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

I don’t see how the Queen can control the word royal. Harry was born into that family. Other members are described as royals, although they work for a living and don’t do royal duties or get public allowances.

On the other hand I understand Sussex County is not all in favour of their piece of England being used as a brand, especially out of the country.

Save    
bpath reads banned books too(5b)

Here, I designed a new logo for them. It’s already got a website and everything!

12 Likes Save    
Nana H

Hoot!

Save    
foodonastump

Funny, that H&M is how I read the title.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

The Queen absolutely can stop them from using " Royal" as a title or " Royal" as a brand. What she can't do, and I don't see her trying to, is deny Harry his royal heritage. He is a prince, that can't change but the title HRH most certainly can be withdrawn.

Save    
foodonastump

Is there a legal basis for that or does she just make it up as she goes and they’re expected to comply?

Save    
Nana H

I don't know if is " legal" as you and I may think of it but the King or Queen has the absolute power to bestow or remove royal titles.

Sorta like Trump having the sole authority to say who or who not is subject to the rule of law. The powers are bestowed not legislated.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Prince is actually a courtesy title so he can in fact lose that. Still I am pretty sure that isn't what this is all about. She has to protect the "Royal" brand. Since some people are objecting to this change and get all outraged about it she has to keep as many people as possible happy. It isn't as if there is some sort of "Royal" shortage or anything.

People in their effort to dis these people are forgetting why they planned to do this. It was to support their charities. This is such a heinous crime?

1 Like Save    
katrina_ellen

People in their effort to dis these people are forgetting why they planned to do this. It was to support their charities. This is such a heinous crime?

Patriciae-I've got a bridge to sell you.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

Harry is the second son of the next King of England, so he is a Prince by birth. Not a courtesy title. Royal by birth also.

First they made him, as a grieving child, walk behind his mother’s coffin in front of crowds, and cameras, down a Main Street; then they take the royal designation from him, just because he doesn’t want to work in the family business? Cold bunch of so and sos.

1 Like Save    
youngquinn_gw

fact remains Tilly he is worth $80 Million dollars and is a grown up. he can support himself !

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

As a point of information, the walking behind the coffin piece of theater was Tony Blair's idea. Prince Charles should never have allowed it, though.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Prince except in the case of Prince of Wales(which is a substantive title) is always a courtesy title. The crown can limit to how many generations they will grant this courtesy. A Substantive title is one given by grant or inheritance and is from the crown.Duke of Sussex is substantive. His wife's title of Duchess of Sussex is courtesy but treated as if it is substantive. totally weird but so it is.

I don't get the whole major damage by having the boys show respect for their mother by walking behind the coffin. Closure comes to mind. Parents die and we go to the funerals.

I agree that they can support themselves but the whole thing was about supporting their charities. maybe you think they are getting something out of it. I don't know these people.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

Harry and William have said they hated doing that walk. Harry has said he has been in continuous therapy. Only a person with lack of empathy could say that if the child is suffering from something, even through adulthood, that their feelings are not important because “this is what we do.” Plus, ordinary families take a car, usually the funeral director’s, to the funeral. They don’t walk. My son rode in the funeral car with me, so did my foster daughter.

And he was born Prince Harry, as the son of a future king, If you don’t know how that works you didn’t grow up reading fairy tales.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I can see why the Queen has done such. Harry and Megan chose to leave the monarchy and all it's duties. You don't get to capitalize on the "job title". Even in the name of charitable work. You are either in or you're out.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

You put your right foot in, you take your right foot out, you shake it all about and $ comes in.

The Queen is no fool and I don't think suffers them, especially those that dally with her and want their teacakes and eat them too.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Family members , including children, have walked in funeral processions for generations.

It shows love and respect and can help with grieving and closure.

Harry, as an individual, may process grief more inwardly and did not deal well with the funeral procession, but I don’t fault his father. Walking with the casket was the right thing to do.

4 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

With the Diana deceased mania that was no ordinary funeral procession, there were huge crowds and Harry was only 12. He says on one video that he was still in shock. I notice that he often looks serious when processing amongst crowds. Maybe he has flashbacks.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a10200846/prince-harry-princess-diana-funeral-grief/

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Tilly, you can look up titles on the internet. There are rules. I looked it all up because I wanted to know if Little Lord Fauntleroy would actually have a courtesy title as a grandson of a Duke (yes if he was the eldest son of the deceased heir apparent) Once that was settled I kept reading. Fairy tales are not necessarily right and rules in other countries differ and most Fairy tales are European in origins.

I totally get protecting the Royal brand but I don't understand the major negative attitude towards these two people. You would think they were serial killers instead of people who devote themselves to charity.

I believe I have said this before but one very weird thing I learned is you cant just give up a title. The monarch bestows and the monarch has to take away. You must have permission to even abdicate the role to your heir.

1 Like Save    
elvis

bpath's suggested logo reminds me of this ^^^

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

Poor little Meghan..thought she was going to have the best of both worlds

anytime she chose. Welcome to reality! I wonder how long it will take

Harry to get tired of being led around by the ring in his nose.

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

^^^^^^^^^ She'll dump him for a richer, more powerful man first. He will break into a million pieces, and nobody is going to pay him to hear about it.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Well hoped for the best but many of us saw the propensity for this.

I'm guessing the Royals knew it, too.

Gets them everytime, ask Bill Clinton.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Harry has always seemed rather emotionally fragile. Seems like a nice guy, too. We can only hope that Meghan doesn't break this fragile man. That would be horrible.

Hopefully this is true love and all will be well.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

Not understanding the " hate on " for Meghan. Having watched the Royal Family for a long time I think Harry has long been a reluctant Royal. However, I think he may have misjudged what being " out " really meant.

To me profiting off the Royal title is wrong whether being a working or non working Royal.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Now I have a different take on this all together because I don't believe in Royalty in the first place so I am perfectly OK with any ole body making hay off of it. I would have bailed out of this circus act long before but I am guessing for Harry it was having a child that would have to grow up this way made him think? Still like being born into a cult you wouldn't know any other way of life. Imagining some other way of living would be hard and to what degree do you have to give up your family to live a more rational life? How rational a life can you have when the pubic is committed to your continuing in the show? Grim scenario.

2 Likes Save    
maddiemo

I can’t pretend I’m overly interested in the whys and wherefores of this but my impression is that one can’t have ones cake and eat it.

This seems informative and fair...

2 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Sigh, Cake? Where is the cake? What kind of cake? They get born into a fishbowl. The public foams at the mouth if the infant isn't shown off at birth and it goes down hill from there. Every little thing they do is picked at and commented on by Palace Experts who tell everyone what royals are thinking and doing as if they actually know. It is a long winded Soap Opera. You aren't allowed to go where you want, do as you want, learn what you want, have any opinions, follow a career or develop any real skills that might take something from someone else. They have wealth and cant spend it. They MUST spend their time working for charities, the only area allowed. People talk about privilege and cake but where is it?

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Yes, Harry really should have tipped Meghan off that he was a royal before they married. Tsk, tsk.

3 Likes Save    
maddiemo

Patriciae, they have done what they want, and they have of course been allowed to do that. What they can’t do is keep the things that they are no longer are entitled to.

That kind of cake.

Most people aren’t foaming at the mouth either, they are mostly quite uninterested.

7 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

But they haven't been allowed to do as they wanted since they wanted to do both-serve part time and have private time. Would you want to lead the life they are allowed at the best of times? Live in the fishbowl and be picked over endlessly? Be expected to display your children like trained poodles? By deciding to marry Prince Harry Meghan Markel in a sense chose that life though she might not have understood it all but poor Harry was born into it. Other people of great wealth can literally do as they please so I am not seeing any privilege in this life of theirs. We have been brought up on fairy tales and we were trained like the poor goose girl to want to marry a prince without ever thinking through what a silly life it is when there is no power to go with the position.

3 Likes Save    
maddiemo

Patricia, I understand your feelings about the lives royalty leads. I wouldn’t want it either.

It is however riddled with rules and protocols that I’m sure Harry would be all too well aware of, and I‘m not convinced that Meghan is quite the innocent she portrays either.

Having left the firm so to speak, they couldn’t retain all their privileges. That’s no surprise to me and tbh I’m surprised they want to make any issues about it.

I‘m sure if they stop stoking the embers they’ll be able to get on with whatever it is they want to do marvellously.

I had no issue with them leaving, and I’m not aware of anyone else personally having any strong feelings about it either. It’s largely just media hype.

I can see however that trying to cling to the HRH title at the same time as declaring their unhappiness in carrying out royal duties, which in effect led to them leaving the country, does come across as rather inappropriate and hypocritical.

8 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Being born a royal comes with duties you can’t escape.

(Channeling my best Yoda) Accept it, or don’t. There is no “sort of”.

Elizabeth understands her role and duties in life better than anyone, and William will accept it too.

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Why does being born "royal" come with duties you cant escape? What on earth is royal to begin with and why cant you escape it?

I have seen nothing to indicate that they are clinging to the HRH title and certainly not that they are unhappy with carrying out "royal duties" when in fact they simply wanted to step back from doing that 24/7.

If Elizabeth is weak minded enough to keep on with duties associated with a role that is totally bereft of any actual power but keeps you in a fishbowl for life plus your children and your children's children and even your great grand children (Archie in this case) does someone have the right to say stop? I am not sacrificing my child on the altar of the public right to demand I tell them my underwear size? If that person says stop, my child isn't a trained poodle (as Diana wanted her children to not have to suffer this sort of exploitation) but still says I want to make what has happened in my life in spite of efforts to make it better useful so I will use this exploitative attention to make money for charity? But you say no. You have to jump through the hoops we the public desire or not at all. As I said above, if your whole life since birth has been this maladaptive scenario can you envision just being a normal average rich person who can tell the public to go...……………..

So the facts are God did not decide the British Royal Family (historical accident that they are) has to live and act in a certain acceptable way. Acceptable to whom you ought to ask and why.

Save    
elvis

"Ought" to ask? Um, no.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

The problem is wanting to have it both ways. Step away from royal duties, be private and you are golden. Sell your royal stories to the highest bidder, solicit money based on your royal lineage, trade on your royal status and demand the tax payers of two countries foot your security bill, and we have a problem.

You can easily escape being royal. And chances are your father will continue sending 2M British pounds per year for your upkeep. This is not what H&M are attempting. They want to earn based on a royal connection they wish to sever. They are about to learn about international treaties governing the use of the word royal. And they will be reminded who bestowed the title Duke to Harry.

4 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Solicit money for what? In fact solicit money for charity. If you have been brought up to the idea that is what you do then you to will be selling your persona for charity. Do they get anything out of it? I rather doubt it. The public expects them to live for the public. If you don't have any other life you to might fall for that. Why? In exchange for the magical life of being exploited for the amusement of the public. It is what the public requires. Your Grannie and your Father expect you to live to amuse the public and make money for charity. What do these two get out of any of this? You want out, you try to exchange for a part time role. They say no. What to do and the public still demands you give them what they want-everything.

The security thing is decided by parliament who says they must be secure. That has to be a facer when you are trying your best to get out of this freak show. You cant win.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Throwing Catkin out with the bathwater my interest here is not Harry and Meghan, people I don't know and could hardly care less about as people who I assume are fully capable of caring for themselves. It is the same issue that dictates my feelings about "first Ladies". Why do we think we get to dictate the lives of famous people?

Save    
HamiltonGardener

If Elizabeth is weak minded enough to keep on with duties associated with a role that is totally bereft of any actual power but keeps you in a fishbowl for life plus your children and your children's children and even your great grand children (Archie in this case) does someone have the right to say stop?

Well of course they have the right to say stop. Several royals have done that. But they don’t get to keep the benefits nor should they expect to. They will also expect to always be in the spotlight. It’s part of being born a royal and they can’t just say “stop” any more than any child born to a wealthy or influential or celebrity family.

And Elizabeth is hardly weak minded. She will do her duty to her country until her dying breath, and she has passed that sense of duty and honour to all of her family, including Harry. They serve their people, and beyond. The younger generation, like Harry and William, serve the wider world (not just England) through their charity work, military service, etc. I find it odd that someone would see Elizabeth as weak minded.

7 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Weak minded because she believes. Royals in other countries have stopped acting like acts of god and gone on to act like regular human beings, in effect just mostly becoming good will people. Explaining the "act of god" part is the belief that Royals are chosen by God as in Divine right. This is a delusion. I would think it kind of sweet if it didn't do so much damage to so many.

The entire mess is driven by a public who wont let go of the privilege of voyeurism. That is where the privilege is, certainly not in the afflicted royal family members.

I actually appreciate the service part. Lots of wealthy people devote themselves and their time and money to charitable causes. And there we have the other part. Where are the benefits to this family? Their stated purpose was to make money for charity. What is the benefit to them?

I suppose you could say who am I to decide who is what and I normally wouldn't step on peoples belief corns because this is certainly one of those cases where people have been brought up to believe in a certain system but I am seeing how the mad celebrity machine is taking over and seriously damaging people's lives.

Save    
maddiemo

You’ve gone into some detail about the hardships of royal life Patriciae, and yet someone who’s still out there doing her duties at 93 is weak minded? I can’t say I’ve ever thought of the Queen in that light myself.

I’m not sure if she believes she’s been chosen by God or not. It sounds unlikely to me, but I do know she believes in God and she takes her duty of being what she was born into, extremely seriously.

Flipping the coin but staying with the weak minded theme, it could be said that Harry and Meghan have on one hand shown strength in making their decision to leave, and yet on another don’t seem to have quite enough of it to cope without continuing financial support and attempting to utilise a shiny royal distinction that they are no longer entitled to. I’m also not convinced it’s an entirely altruistic glow they want to reflect around the world either.

Personally, I’m baffled why they had any expectation of keeping it once it was decided the 50/50 split between Canada and the U.K. was unworkable. For me the legitimacy of who can use that title is not their call to even comment on.

I don’t know why the Queen is in the firing line for simply doing what the vast majority of people also deem to be appropriate.

I’d suggest that if she hadn’t said no to them on this matter, she really would have been seen as weak minded, and by far more people.

8 Likes Save    
vee_new

patriciae, you have every right to your own opinions but to suggest that HM Queen believes in the Divine Right of Kings is ludicrous. This concept went out with the beheading of Charles I, the ill-advised Stewart monarch, who like his French cousin Louis XIV had delusions of extreme grandeur . .. which in the case of Louis led eventually to the French Revolution. And after Charles' death to the 'Commonwealth' under Cromwell, a period of history which soon came to be detested by the people of England, who were only too glad to see the Monarchy restored.

OK history lesson over! I think too many Americans confuse the monarchy with wealth. Sure they are much much richer than most/all of the population but I don't think money is the name of the game here. In the UK everything isn't about how much dosh we have. We don't go up or down the 'social scale' by how much our fathers, partners, children earn.

Yes the Royals, by lending their names to certain charities can bring in the cash to those good causes and a Royal patron is very desirable as a seal of approval.

And yes, Harry and Meghan appear to be keen to take on certain charity work . . . and Harry's interest in helping the Military vets are well know and sincere but, did Meghan really have not the slightest idea as to the life of a Royal? Maybe she confused it with the Hollywood Life Style of red carpets, fancy promo's. A quick toothy wave, a flick of the well-groomed hair and off to the pool-side, the ranch, the mountain retreat . . . not the boring and often daily grind of visiting a grummit factory in the North of England, the hospital and civic centres that must be opened, the dinners and long-winded speeches, the official gatherings and invitations with some often dubious Heads of State.

The Queen has always seen this as her duty, which to her, comes before what she wants to do. It is a pity Meghan had no understanding of this before she became Harry's wife.

4 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

None of you are understanding what I mean and I will give it this one last try.

Vee, I actually know all about Charles I and I even know why George l became king but none of that explains why people (including Elizabeth) believe in Royalty. You made my case for expectations of royals based on what? Some family with ancestors who went out of their way to become kings is blighted with the expectations of the British public. Everyone keeps thinking there are privileges involved and I fail to see any. Please name one.

Why does the Queen have a duty? and why is it always Meghan's fault? This is the essence of my point. If there is no divine right there is no royalty nor for that matter aristocracy since that all comes from the monarchy. Why does this family have to sacrifice itself on the altar of public expectation? Why cant someone's father give money to a son and it not be your business why? You have to step away from notions of royalty and royal duty to understand what I am saying and I bet you cant do that.

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

I think some people like the idea of "royalty" in a polliana romanticized way. It is like theater. Personally I think it is a pathetic balm for faded glory.

Save    
vee_new

patriciae, you tell me to 'step aside from royalty and royal duty to understand what I'm saying and I bet you can't do that' Is this a challenge?!

You ask 'Why does the Queen have a duty?'

Back in 1947 on a tour of South Africa, the then Princess Elizabeth on her 21st birthday, in a broadcast to the people of the Commonwealth said the following:

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short
shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial
family to which we all belong."

This I see as someone ready when the time comes to perform what she see as her 'duty'.

As for 'public expectations' I think this is something largely brought about by the press; the endless ponderings by pundits on the TV during quiet news days. I can't speak for people in other countries but over here the majority of the public are not bothered or are only mildly interested in the latest Royal baby, the visit by some pompous Head of State, the State Opening of Parliament and so on. These are all external trappings. Probably over 90% of what happens behind the scenes in the Royal household are never going to be made known to us . . . why should it?

You say 'if there is no divine right there is no royalty . . .' Come on! That's a meaningless statement.

You refer to privileges. Do you mean they come with Royalty/Monarchy? Or that we, the public are privileged 'voyeurs' as you might describe the flag waving well-wishers?

patriciae, I wish I could answer your many questions to your liking but I am finding your chains of thought too complicated and convoluted to deal with so I have probably failed your test.

I'm going to switch on the TV and watch 'The Simpsons' . . . now there's a nice everyday well-balanced American family.

Vee

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

I am a huge fan of the Queen and an avid monarchist as long as she reigns. She stands above the play of party politics with a true feeling of servitude to the people not the other way around.

However, my admiration for the " job " dies when she does. I could never respect the likes of Charles the way I respect her. In my view the significance of the Royal Family will change when there is sadly no Elizabeth.

3 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I'm an American and have been a "royal watcher" for decades. I have read much on the younger Elizabeth and the family she was born into and its sense of duty, especially during WW II. The last term on earth I would use to describe her would be "weak minded." If anything, her devotion to her family, her country and the highest moral standards would be the opposite of that.

Having said that, the Queen is not a perfect human being and I am sure she is aware of having made some errors in judgement. Perhaps to some of us Americans, having seen so much of how Diana was treated by some royals in general, particularly by two of its members, in the past, and now we see another "outlier", Meghan, --- perhaps some of us are tempted to come down on the side of the young couple who seem to want to break free from protocol. Of course, it is all far more complicated that that.

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Don’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full Story
Bathroom Design Straight Flush: The Future of Toilets in the Home
Night lights, seat warmers and temperature-controlled bidets are here — and that’s just the beginning
Full Story