Trump offered Julian Assange a pardon if he denied Russia link

chipotle

Of course he did.

"Donald Trump offered Julian Assange a pardon if he would say Russia was not involved in leaking Democratic party emails, a court in London has been told.

The extraordinary claim was made at Westminster magistrates court before the opening next week of Assange’s legal battle to block attempts to extradite him to the US."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/19/donald-trump-offered-julian-assange-pardon-russia-hack-wikileaks?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

SaveComment20Like1
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adoptedbyhounds

Hasn’t Assange insisted all along it wasn’t Russia?

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Then why offer him a pardon, abh?

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Insisting to the press is way different than insisting to a court. One needs a pardon the other doesn't.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Makes no sense to me, Iris.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

I wonder why an innocent man would offer a pardon for a cover-up.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Seth Rich comes to mind.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"I wonder why an innocent man would offer a pardon for a cover-up."

No need. The story from Assange is the same as ever.

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

adoptedbyhounds

32 minutes ago

"I wonder why an innocent man would offer a pardon for a cover-up."

No need. The story from Assange is the same as ever.

———

And yet indications are that he did.

Trump seems to be constantly hell-bent on “needlessly” offering perks and privileges to people if they cover for him.

Why is he so paranoid?

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

By Jove, I think he's got it.

Save    
lurker111

During the 2016 US Democratic Party
presidential primaries, WikiLeaks hosted emails sent or received by
candidate Hillary Clinton from her private email server when she was Secretary of State.

Please note that it was her PERSONAL SERVER.This is all on Obama. Trump was just a citizen, like me. Couldn't do anything about it.

Trump's offer is to tell the truth and he'll get a pardon. Comey and Mueller gave immunity to...how many crats?

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Trump seems to be constantly hell-bent on “needlessly” offering perks and privileges to people if they cover for him.

The old qui pro quo is in action . . . again.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Dana Rohrbacher's response today:

https://www.rohrabacher.com/news

"There is a lot of misinformation floating out there regarding my meeting with Julian Assange so let me provide some clarity on the matter:

At no time did I talk to President Trump about Julian Assange. Likewise, I was not directed by Trump or anyone else connected with him to meet with Julian Assange. I was on my own fact finding mission at personal expense to find out information I thought was important to our country. I was shocked to find out that no other member of Congress had taken the time in their official or unofficial capacity to interview Julian Assange. At no time did I offer Julian Assange anything from the President because I had not spoken with the President about this issue at all. However, when speaking with Julian Assange, I told him that if he could provide me information and evidence about who actually gave him the DNC emails, I would then call on President Trump to pardon him. At no time did I offer a deal made by the President, nor did I say I was representing the President. Upon my return, I spoke briefly with Gen. Kelly. I told him that Julian Assange would provide information about the purloined DNC emails in exchange for a pardon. No one followed up with me including Gen. Kelly and that was the last discussion I had on this subject with anyone representing Trump or in his Administration.

Even though I wasn't successful in getting this message through to the President I still call on him to pardon Julian Assange, who is the true whistleblower of our time. Finally, we are all holding our breath waiting for an honest investigation into the murder of Seth Rich."

Save    
mudhouse

Too long didn't read:

Rorhbacher is saying he didn't make any offer "upon instruction from the president" as the Guardian article states. He only offered to ask the president himself about a pardon for Assange.

Save    
queenmargo

LOL mudhouse, I thought your last response was that the long comment you wrote you didn't read, lol. then duh, it hit me, you gave a Margo version, lol, for those like me who have the attention span of a gnat;))

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

LOL mudhouse, I thought your last response was that the long comment you wrote you didn't read, lol. then duh, it hit me, you gave a Margo version, lol, for those like me who have the attention span of a gnat;))

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Dana Rohrabacher believes the Seth Rich nutty conspiracy theories.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

What did he (Rohrabacher) get for making that statement?

That’s the thing about being known for offering quid pro quo to all and sundry—no one believes sundry when he stands up for you.

3 Likes Save    
youngquinn_gw

How can Assange be offered a "Pardon" when he has not been found guilty of anything?. He has not stood trial....so does America still ascribe to the value "innocent until proven guilty"?

Save    
mudhouse

Lol Margo, most of us don't read long comments!

I've seen people use TLDR as an abbreviation for "too long didn't read" but I didn't know if that was widely understood here. Maybe I'll try to do that more often, to be nicer to people with tired eyeballs.

Save    
haydayhayday

Mudhouse:

"At no time did I talk to President Trump about Julian Assange. Likewise, I was not directed by Trump or anyone else connected with him to meet with Julian Assange."

So, Chipotle's thread title is not true?

"Trump offered Julian Assange a pardon if he denied Russia link"

Hay

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Fireplaces 8 Reasons to Nix Your Fireplace (Yes, for Real)
Dare you consider trading that 'coveted' design feature for something you'll actually use? This logic can help
Full Story
Whether you're interested in energy efficiency or an architectural renovation our wide selection of replacement... Read More