N. Carolina court blocks voter ID law as discriminatory

dublinbay z6 (KS)

This post is especially for those HT posters who have, in the past, insisted that there is nothing even remotely racially prejudiced about the supposedly upgraded voter ID laws passed by Repubs. to curb voter fraud -- or so the Repubs. say.

Another court disagrees.

----------------------------------

"A North Carolina appeals court on Tuesday blocked the state's voter identification law from going into effect, finding it was a discriminatory attempt to suppress the black vote, in a victory for Democrats and voting rights advocates.

The appeals court reversed a lower court decision that denied a preliminary injunction against a law requiring voters to produce a photo ID at the polls.

The ruling puts the voter ID law on hold until the underlying lawsuit challenging it is decided, likely blocking it for the November 2020 general election.

The law did include a provision allowing people without proper ID to still vote, but the appeals court found the provision burdensome and that the "discriminatory intent" of the law was especially evident in those exceptions.

[. . .]

Republican-led legislatures in several states have passed similar voter ID laws, arguing they are needed to prevent voter fraud.

But critics including Democrats and voting rights advocates call the laws an effective way to attempt to suppress votes from African Americans, who are both more likely to vote Democratic and lack the needed identity cards.

"Extensive research reveals that fraud is very rare (and) voter impersonation is virtually nonexistent," the Brennan Center for Justice, which bills itself as a nonpartisan law and policy institute, says in its ongoing voter fraud project."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-carolina-court-blocks-voter-183250822.html

----------------------------

Here's to the N.Carolina courts!

Kate

SaveComment44Like6
Comments (44)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ziemia(6a)

A three-judge panel of the North Carolina Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that intent to discriminate was a “primary motivating factor” behind the voter ID law, which passed the Republican legislature in late 2018. Triggered by a ballot measure, the law requires voters to produce an acceptable form of photo ID before casting a ballot but excludes types of identification disproportionately held by African Americans.

The voter ID law was already under a temporary injunction because of a federal court ruling in a separate lawsuit, which found that some of its provisions violated the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection under the law. That injunction was set to last at least through next month’s primaries, when North Carolininians vote as part of Super Tuesday on March 3.

The three-judge panel predicted Tuesday that the state-level case will succeed on the merits at trial.

Defending their injunction, the judges wrote that a failure to block the law in the meantime would negatively affect African Americans and would potentially discourage voting by heightening confusion about what is required to cast a ballot.

“Voter confusion has a strong potential to negatively impact voter turnout,” they wrote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/state-appeals-court-temporarily-blocks-voter-id-law-in-north-carolina/2020/02/18/e884f514-5286-11ea-9e47-59804be1dcfb_story.html

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Here's the issue:

"...but excludes types of identification disproportionately held by African Americans."

And then, there's this:

“Voter confusion has a strong potential to negatively impact voter turnout,” they wrote.

Edited

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Propaganda.

Always hauled out when trumpsters can't think of a valid argument with which to answer the Dems.

Kate

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

What photo IDs are excluded?

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

What types of identification are disproportionally held by African Americans?

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Go find out if you are so interested.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Kate, assuming you were replying to a now deleted comment.

1 Like Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
Jonnygun(zone 7)

I googled it. You tell me what alternate forms of IDs exist? Travel, courts, drug stores, liquor stores, gun stores and gas stations all require a government issued ID.

Sounds like Dem make believe to me...

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

finding it was a discriminatory attempt to suppress the black vote

Complete nonsense.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

According to this 2017 NYT article (notice it says 'including' which means this may not be a full list)

The law rejected the forms of identification used disproportionately by blacks, including IDs issued to government employees, students and people receiving public assistance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/us/politics/voter-id-laws-supreme-court-north-carolina.html

Those do sound like government issued ids to me (unless it is a private school).

1 Like Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

So we are talking school or work IDs? Lmao

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

A college ID will not get you beer or on a plane.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

They are needed for voting, not flying.

The proof of eligibility to vote happens at registration.

Save    
Iris GW

Not sure that the comparison is fair. It doesn't matter if it gets you a beer (you have to be 21 anyway) or on a plane.

It matters if the government decides it was issued with enough validity to be used for voting (to prove who you are).

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Everyone would need an ID. Not just blacks. They have just as much personal responsibility as any other race.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Not in dispute. And they have IDs. The question is if the government will accept them for this purpose.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

If not, they need to get one, like everyone else. What makes them special?

Save    
Iris GW

lurker, I understand that you don't get the issue. 'Nuff said on my part.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

What makes some special and others not? (per the judicial panel).

What is the purpose of the ID per the law?

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

What a ridiculous arguement. School IDs? So from new voter to vote cast, never a single legitimate effort to ID a person voting. Sounds great...

Save    
Iris GW

Jonny, do you understand how schools validate a person before issuing an ID?

Without knowing that, how can you say there is not a legitimate effort to ID a person?

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

I have three kids currently in school, all three have school IDs and only provided a birth certificate for the oldest. Personally I have attended three different colleges and was never required to show an ID.

I dont think you understand the validation process yourself. Go update your current license to the new Real ID and tell me any school anywhere does that...

Save    
Iris GW

I agree that I don't know the validation process, that is why I'm not judging. If your kids are in college, they probably had records transferred from high school and other things that proved who they were.

Again, the point of the school ID when used to vote is simply to prove you are that person who legitimately registered earlier.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

The ID doesn't register them to vote, unless state law allows that.

Voting is NOT the same as registering to vote.

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Right, and in NC there is absolutely NO identification procedures when a person registers. That is NONE.

https://www.ncsbe.gov/Voters/Registering-to-Vote

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Exactly. That should be the real issue.

Separate issue.

It shows the law is intended to limit voting by some classes of citizens. Not registering.

1 Like Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Ok. I only want one citizen to legally cast their vote once.

Not a person voting for someone else because they have an ID made at home and laminated at Staples after they filled out a voter registration card.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

ziemia: "Kate, assuming you were replying to a now deleted comment."

You are correct, ziemia! Sorry I was so late in seeing your question.

Kate

Save    
Iris GW

Ok. I only want one citizen to legally cast their vote once.

We all support that.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

As I pointed out in the OP:

"Extensive research reveals that fraud is very rare (and) voter impersonation is virtually nonexistent," the Brennan Center for Justice, which bills itself as a nonpartisan law and policy institute, says in its ongoing voter fraud project."

Of course, that truth has been pointed out many times on this forum, and the same people still have not heard it even once. Definitely, hearing problems on the right.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

catkin, no one said the person should not have an ID.

Oh, I see the post that this references has disappeared ...

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

A panel of judges have ruled that this particular law was written to keep a certain demographic from voting.

None of the rest of the reasons you might need an ID matter in this context. the law was not written to prevent people from illegally voting. It was written to keep Black people from voting. think that through.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Knee jerk. .

And confusing voter registration with voting.

1 Like Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

I fail to see how a law requiring the same ID to vote that is needed to do anything could be specifically designed to prevent black people from voting.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Good news. The old voter fraud canard has been a ruse from those wanting to disenfranchise people most likely to vote for Democrats for quite some time now.

Look what is happening here in FL where out state lawmakers have been trying every way they can to avoid implementing the electorate's will by forcing what amounts to a poll tax on poor ex-felons who want to vote:

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2020/02/19/limits-on-floridas-amendment-4-are-unconstitutional-federal-panel-rules/

Save    
Stan Areted

I am required to show my ID before voting to prove who I am.

That is in no way racially discriminatory.

What IS RACIAL DISCRIMINATION is contending that people of ANY COLOR are not as intelligent as others to be able to obtain identification.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

It was written to keep Black people from voting. think that through.

I have, and I don't see how that is possible. Such an insult to black people. The law is to keep illegals from voting. The left uses the blacks for an excuse.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

2016...The crats tried to put blacks and gays in the same basket. It
worked. The blacks supported the gays...Until some blacks started
losing their jobs for discriminating against gays. So, I ask the black
people...Did you enjoy being used to promote the gay agenda? Do you
believe that gays faced the same discrimination as blacks? Do you enjoy being used to cover for illegal aliens? Are you too incompetent to get a voter ID? I would guess most would answer...NO!

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Pit Blacks against Gays Lurker? That is a sad bad thing to do. You have issues?

1 Like Save    
Lisa

Step right up folks. Step right up. vote here. Don't care who you are. Are you a citizen? Don't worry. I won't insult you by asking such a question. No ID. Don't worry. I trust you. A convicted felon who hasn't fulfilled the terms of your sentence? Don't worry. Vote right here.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

In my state you don't have to present anything to vote once you are registered. they mail us ballots. I voted in the primary today and had to show nothing to no one. But I did have to sign my ballot and if I am not who I say I am I will go to prison. That seems to do the job. My signature will be compared to the one on record. This seems to be working just fine here. But notice I did have to register. The people being disenfranchised in these sorts of places have been registered for many years without comment. Why do they suddenly have to prove with the "right ID" that they are who they say they are?

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

step right up hoowie, exaggerate much. Since my first vote over 50 years ago I've had to be approved in the polling precinct register to be able to cast a vote.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Clearly the GOP & their oligarch masters rely on ignorance to elicit support for their bogus arguments in favor of the disenfranchisement of potential Democratic leaning voters.

The new law here clearly defines eligibility through having fulfilled the terms of sentences, and excludes violent or sex offenders. The court declared that the state gains nothing from disenfranchising indigent ex-felons - it won't get the money just because they're barred from voting, and therefore it is discriminatory in favor of people who just happen to have the money to pay all their costs.

Over 60% of FL voters approved this - what are the odds all of them were stinky liberals? Republicans go to prison too - as we well know.

The GOP's argument, it seems, follows Rush Limbaugh's, in that it appears to echo his sentiment that poor people shouldn't get to vote.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

You prove who you are when you register. When we moved we registered when we got our new drivers licenses and vehicle registration. I show nothing when I go to the polls, never have, in any state. At most, they’ve asked me to state my address. Trump’s own commission on voter fraud (Chris Kobach) was disbanded within months when it was proven that actual voter fraud was so minuscule it would in no way sway any election.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Budgeting Your Project Bathroom Workbook: How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
Learn what features to expect for $3,000 to $100,000-plus, to help you plan your bathroom remodel
Full Story
Most Popular The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
Most Popular Key Measurements to Make the Most of Your Bathroom
Fit everything comfortably in a small or medium-size bath by knowing standard dimensions for fixtures and clearances
Full Story