SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 8

Well for alot of us Winter has arrived! The blues can be a problem this time of the year...

So post pics, have good conversation, and just have fun to break up those blues!

Thank you all for making these seasonal threads such a success!

Comments (209)

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    4 years ago

How selfish she wants anything when she’s the one wanting the divorce . Now Jim has to find a new home I just feel like it’s so unfair !!!!!!!!

4 years ago

Jim rent is so expensive did you lawyer say there’s anything you can do ?

• Related Discussions

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 3

Q

Comments (155)
    Jim, I'm glad to read that about warmer days coming. That's what it looked like on the rundown of weather predictions in US cities. Here, it is warmish, but will actually be a little colder for the next day or two. Nothing awful, but not springlike. It's still wet for here. This is good because I'm not tempted to do "just a little" cleanup, plus I'm exhausted. No matter how much sleep I get, I'm exhausted. I'm not used to this feeling. Oh, yes, swearing is a hobby of mine. Heh. Thanks, Sheila. I appreciate your interest in my blow by blow sleep problems. How is your husband doing? Well and on the mend, I hope. I know your spring like temps are ahead of us, and I'm sure that bit of snow did no harm. Flowers, you have probably heard that 23 people died (so far) in the little Alabama town struck by the tornado. That's a terrible toll for such a small place--or any place. It's the worst tornado death toll since 2013. Where's Dianela??? I'm sure the town is well south of her, though......It sounds like you are getting into the spring mood with your winter sowing. I throw out gathered poppy seed and hollyhock seed in March if possible. I ordered my other seed just after Christmas. I think I'll use last year's leftover basil seed, since I usually have virtually 100 % germination on new basil seed. I'll just sow the year old stuff heavily. How are your temps doing? Not too bad, I hope. Kristine, thanks for reminding me about the time change. I'm in Never-Neverland right now, and not paying attention very well. Diane
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 8

Q

Comments (99)
    Hello everyone! It’s been a while, so I’ll need to reread everything. I just skimmed it a minute ago. It’s been cool and sunny here for a week. Rain is predicted for all of next week. I haven’t been doing much of anything. I’ve been having some family drama, myself. My youngest son moved away to NM, which will be good for him. I hope so, anyway. My niece, Sarena,(who got married last year September) has a reoccurrence of her malignant melanoma. We’re just heartbroken and worried. She had discovered a lesion that grew quickly at the nape of her neck during her last semester of college, while an exchange student in Holland. She came home and had it removed, along with some lymph nodes. Almost 4 years later, and it’s come back. It’s not looking very good right now. My garden is a wreck. The roses loved all the rain, but the weeds! Here’s one Augusta Luise in the morning cold. Forgive me for not deadheading Mel’s Heritage. He’s still blooming in very pink colors. Cornelia is looking very pink, too. I’m way behind on everything. I’m just glad it’s not hot and dry, so I don’t need to water. Jim, you’re on my mind. Hang in there. It really does get better. I’ve been there, and thought I’d never get over it. I’ve been widowed and divorced, so I know how hard it is. Everything reminds you of him/her, and sometimes you forget for a moment that they’re gone. Then reality comes crashing back, and it hits you all over again. It really does get better with time. The sooner her things are gone, the sooner you can start healing. Sorry to hear Flowers is sick. It’s good to see all the pictures and I’ll go back and read through the posts to catch up properly. Have a wonderful day everyone! Lisa. PS. I’ve fattened Millie up too much:) No more treats for her. She’s looking like a little potato, and that’s not good for her remaining hind leg. She was just so thin after being so sick. Guess I took care of that a little too well. I wonder how Flower’s kitty girl is doing? Lisa
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 1

Q

Comments (170)
    Congratulations, Lisa!! You are in for the ride of your life. This is why we have kids, right, so we get grand babies. Just kidding. I loved every minute with my own babies, but grand babies are something special. Jim, Ezra is a good looking little guy. Love seeing how these little ones grow. And, congratulations to you, Kristine!! What a joyful way to start the new year for you and Lisa!
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 2

Q

Comments (142)
    Diane, your Augusta Luise is so beautiful! Sure enjoy seeing those pictures. We had probably not more than about two inches of snow. It started Friday night into early yesterday morning. It never got above freezing yesterday, but began rapidly warming up today, the snow has already disappeared. We’re supposed to have mild weather for the next few days. Sometimes I think a big snow that would hang around for awhile would be beneficial, that’s very rare here, I’m not used to it. Thank you, I appreciate those kind words about my roses. I had almost the exact varieties of roses I wanted in the big bed and they did pretty good through about 2015, then a few of them started growing backwards, so I keep replacing them. Most of the ones planted along the front of my house seem to be hanging in there. The roses shown are less than half of the roses I have. Here‘s one that I hope gets with it next year. I’ve seen pictures of this one in full bloom that look so gorgeous! CRAZY LOVE
    ...See More
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the compliments! That photo did come out well - a balance to most of my others.

Diane, that is a trick of the photo. Mrs DC is usually around 4", but at the moment the blooms are only around 3" - probably because it's been so dry until recently. Oddly, some have been affected and not others. I'm afraid the die-back hasn't gone, but the roses are certainly healthier looking than in the past few years. Who knows?!!

The weather is lovely at the moment. My daughter and I took our inflatable kayaks out the other day, and we hope to go snorkelling this week. We also went for an ocean swim last week, and I got caught at the water's edge by the shorebreak. The beach where we swam is quite steep at the edge, and every time I tried to get up, a wave knocked me over. After about 6 attempts, my daughter appeared, laughing her head off, with hand outstretched!

The fires have been replaced by floods! Very heavy rains where I live - and elsewhere, and lots of water in the house, but hopefully fixed now. I've ordered a sample of the Mapp and Lucia books.

flowers, I do agree with you about the subtlety of the shading of the Teas, and thank you for the lovely things you said.

Kenneth, we could all do with a dose of your youth and energy!

4 years ago

I am like the energizer bunny ... I just want my dahlia patch back I love having just rows of dahlias and that area will be perfect .

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Hi jim !! I am so sorry to read all this . I’ve hardly had time these pst few days to read and post but I am absolutely praying for you ! God has an amazing plan ! He is your fortress , provider , and protection . He knows how well you served and showed love to your spouse. He will not let you down or leave you !! I still cannot wrap my brain around this at all but I just know good things are ahead for you !!

I love all the pics trish , so beautiful!! My renea has not grown one iota it seems since last summer when I planted it! What gives ?! Lol

beautiful veggie beds sultry !! Way to go . How exciting!

Katherine , omg wow ! I love your project as well as your husband just glazing over the “ mess” . I too made a new bed with a Area for a bench even though it’s not really gong to be much space to sit at , it’s about the visual .

I’d love it if you share more on your own thread if you would like!!

Nick , are those roses budded that you just bought this spring or already had ? My leaf stripping cost me a month I think. I did it after Christmas til mid January. I get shade in my yard for winter so they are slow to wake up. Next year I am starting earlier , maybe turkey day or a bit after . Even worse is I didn’t get all the roses which I’m kicking myself for . Those leaves look so dull !

My life of the party tree or pompon veranda will be the first ! I’m so excited!

Well I must show a baby pic , as he has stolen my heart completely and I don’t even know how I lived without him . I wish I had a good pic of Lucia ! She has been such a stinker getting pics lately .

He’s only 4 mo but I swear he’s close to crawling . He tries all day ! He travels all around his crib how I don’t know . And he just ( fingers super double crossed) starred sleeping all the way through from 6 pm to 4 am and then til 6 am up for the day . I hope we lose the 4 am soon too!

Been birdwatching too! I need to find out what kind he or she is

Just got this at Walmart and I love it 🥰

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

Wow, you all have so much energy, I am seriously impressed!

Jim - fingers crossed for you, that you come up with a good solution to your house situation. I agree with everyone else that it seem so unfair, but your positive attitude will see you through!

Lilyfinch - your son is adorable!!! And, the hummingbirds seem to love your yard!

Trish - gorgeous roses!!! Hope the flooding issues work out, that can cause a lot of damage.

Katherine - definitely share pictures, as your new rose area develops!

Nick - I can't believe you have buds already! I also live in the Bay Area, and my roses just leafed out, but I definitely don't have buds.

Kenneth - I got a laugh out of your picture with the burn pile - if I tried that where I lived, no less than 5 fire trucks would show up, and I would surely be arrested if the neighbors didn't get me with their pitchforks first. (Let's just say fire & California don't mix.) And, great job pruning your climber on that wall - I think it looks great, very artistic.

I'm sure I didn't get to everyone, but I read through everyone's posts, and enjoyed them! I had a funny conversation with my gardener yesterday (he mostly just does "mow & blow"), that only the group here would appreciate - I was asking him about turning over a small area that formerly had a tree with a lot of roots, in order to break the roots up & mix in soil conditioner. He's mentioned to my husband in the past that he knows "some nice hybrid teas, if we're looking for roses" - I think he just doesn't "get" my fascination with short bushy shrub roses, that I keep planting all over the yard. Anyway, I mentioned that once the area was ready for planting I was going to plant a couple of roses there, and he tried to sell me on a nice tall red hybrid tea - it's clear that to him, that's the perfect rose. (And there is nothing wrong with that! Just not my style.) Anyway, he's a nice man, the conversation just made me laugh, because he was trying to so politely suggest that I might need help picking out the roses.

Have a good evening, everyone!

4 years ago

Lol I didn’t burn the shed with the help of some friends i demod it and and dumped it in the dumpster the fire was for some pallets I had .

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Jennifer, your Son is absolutely adorable. He looks like he is Mr. Personality

Azalea was pretty crabby at that age

I think that she was frustrated that she wasn't mobile because once she could crawl her attitude really changed.

You are so blessed with your beautiful sweet children.

To all of us Moms and grandparents raising children and putting in a yard, yay us. It is challenging but I think of the example that these kiddos will have learning to grow things and appreciate their environment.

Kenneth I agree that your ambition and hard work is admirable

Does your son help you out?

Trish, your picture of Renae is so beautiful

I keep hearing that rose mentioned but that is the first picture that I have seen of it and the whole setting is storybook magical .

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    4 years ago

JIm, despite the uphill battle at the moment, you will pick up and move on. You don't need to feel guilty about anything as you did nothing wrong but love and respect her. In the long run, she will live the rest of her life in guilt. She will look back and see what a great guy you are. I don't mean to be petty but karma will eventually come around.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Jen, Elijah is the cutest baby! What a lucky boy to be born into such a loving family. I think you have an Anna’s Hummingbird. I have a feeder too and I love watching them from the window. Usually just one bird dominates the feeder keeping the others away. I was at Huntington yesterday and all the roses had beautiful new growth. They pruned and removed all leaves January through February, they have so many it takes them time to get through them all. They did the Old Garden Rose beds last. I noticed rust on my Cornelia and Star of the Republic so I removed all their leaves and have made a note to do this for them every November/December along with my two Hybrid Perpetuals before the rust sets in. My HPs are Reine de Violettes and Paul Neyron. I have Golden Celebration and Darcey Bussell on Dr. Huey roots in a very winter sunny bed, which have already sent up lots of new growth. They are pretty early maybe because I never removed their leaves so they had more reserves, and since they also get lots of winter sun. Their old leaves continue to be spotlessly clean and free of disease so I just didn’t bother plus I hate getting stuck by thorns. My idea of a perfect rose bush is one that’s completely thorn free. Now the new growth is shooting up and I don’t really see the old leaves at all. Pic at bottom; DB with red new leaves.

Kenneth, what a big project. I am so excited for your dahlias! I used to see them in people’s yards growing up in Seattle since they seem to really like that climate; just cold enough to trigger growth the following year but not so cold as to freeze in the winter. They don’t really grow in our hot climate unless as more of an annual.

Jim, hang in there. Aren’t interest rates pretty low right now? You could check out refinancing with a new loan to see how cost would compare to rent as others have suggested. Zillow usually gives pretty accurate pricing, at least in our neighborhood it does, as a starter point.

Titian, I have Mrs Dudley Cross and mine has 4” blooms too. I noticed all the buds she put out in December never opened. The bud she put out last week did so I suspect she won’t open in the cold. I love that she has absolutely zero thorns, not one! Here she is against a warm sunny SE facing wall last week.

• Nick 10bSW17
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch, I bought Evelyn a few weeks ago, it had leaves, but no buds at the time, Princess Anne was pruned and stripped Dec 21st when I did all my roses. This was the first time pruning so early, I decided it seemed silly to wait until mid-January since it almost never freezes here, maybe in a wet year pruning early might come back to bite me in the form of higher disease pressure. I found a few baby buds on other roses, but none as large as those. A couple of my new bare roots have tiny buds, Life of the Party and Pretty Lady, but I got them locally in January, so I didn't have to wait for them to be shipped. I could watch hummingbirds all day, I never seem to have my phone with me to get great shots like that. Last month was the first time I noticed a Black-chinned hummer in my garden, I typically only see Anna's so it was an exciting change. Stephanie, I have the same issue, I have a particularly grumpy one guarding my yard.

Cyndita, I feel like it happened overnight! The 70's we had last week really seemed to supercharge everything.

4 years ago

We were supposed to have rain this weekend but got nothing but a splatter. So looks like it is time to turn the water back on and give everything a drink

It has been so warm that everything is drying out

4 years ago

Today was so overwelhming . We didn’t finish building the new shed so the project is half way done . My anxiety is thru the roof . Bare roots didn’t get planted and sitting in the bathroom and it’s supposed to rain 3 days straight . How tragic

4 years ago

But to see that eyesore of a she’s gone is a reminder that I must be patient and things will flow in gods time . Everyone have a beautiful Monday .

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Kenneth, hope things get better and they will! Right on Kenneth! In gods time...

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw , glad your situation was resolved!

I remember one time I ordered bareroot shrubs put them in the cellar and forgot about them...lol

Things were hectic at the time... The roots were wrapped in wet paper then plastic wrap around the paper. TWO months went by then I thought oh crap ran down cellar to find they had leafed out but the leaves were white from no sun...lol...So I took outside and planted...lol...By then it was hot but they grew and flourished anyways..lol

Tomorrow I'm going to my bank to get pre-qualified for a loan for another house! Then when my house sells I'll use that money for a down payment...Its time to start a new more exciting life! I will tread more carefully this time around...lol

My only problem is where are the pets and I going to live until I get another home...???

That I haven't figured out yet... But I will! :-)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Kristine, I certainly hope you get the rain you so desperately need.

It was a gorgeous three day weekend here.

Lilyfinch, Elijah is such a cutie pie, he looks so wonderfully happy and loved.

My roses have wintered well and every time I look at them, I can see that I’ll be doing the most pruning I’ve ever done, it looks like a daunting task, but one I’m looking forward to

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Lily is he a Black Chinned Hummingbird?

Your baby us so cute & growing fast. I think he's trying to catch up with his sister lol.

Kenneth, Wow you got lots of work done! Catch some of that rainwater to soak roses in until you can plant them. They love it.

4 years ago

Well the projected rain was a bust we turned the water back on and I gave the backyard a good drink. Today I will get the front yard.

We did manage to get the 5 full green barrels emptied so now I have room for more .weeds.

My husband was all set to mow and couldn't get the mower to start and then he broke the pull cord. He was pretty frustrated. So off to the repair shop.

Today I need to pot up cute baby Bliss. She is already showing some pretty new leaves.

I have had a nasty cold since .Wednesday so I haven't gotten much done but I am finally feeling better so will at least water and pot Bliss. But that is about it for today.

Happy Monday Everyone

• toolbelt68
    4 years ago

Jim, check out one of those motel type places, they may accept pets.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Sounds good Jim, just make sure the Divorce is finalized before actually buying anything. Check with the lawyer to make sure..or she might try to get that as well lol!

Original Author
    4 years ago

ok sultry_jasmine_nights ....lol...lol

RealEstate Agent coming wednesday to appraise house...

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I thought the same thing Sultry! It will probably be better to get a fresh start in another house without all the memories of this one. Good for you!!! Good luck on the appraisal.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

This evening when I headed home from work, I thought, I hope my Edmunds order came this afternoon, but probably not, but there it was, on the front porch. From what I can tell, they look pretty good. Pulled one out to take a picture, TWILIGHT ZONE,.

Here’s the complete list. Papa Meilland, Perfume Factory and Sugar Moon are the only ones that are new to me, the others are additions, or varieties I miss having. Lots of work to do during the next few weeks!

4 years ago

Whoo hoo. what a fabulous surprise to come home to.

You got some really really good ones

I'm so excited for my Love Song to arrive. I can't wait to see your Papa Meiland.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Kristine, thank you! I’m looking forward to seeing Papa Meilland too! I think you’re probably in a better zone for Love Song, mine have struggled, but have done good enough at times that I think I’ll get lucky again at some point! There’s nothing particularly spectacular about the McCartney Rose, but it’s a good bloomer and I like the color and fragrance. I had one that was fairly vigorous, but it was in a crowded spot and kept suckering, I miss it, it’s a good rose. As many roses as I’ve ordered over the years, overall I haven’t received the wrong rose that often, but Neil Diamond is one, and I was so disappointed at first, but I love it, what a fragrant beauty! I’m sure at some point I will acquire more stripes, I have a difficult time deciding which ones I want to try though. I used to have a Fragrant Plum that bloomed and bloomed, it was so pretty, trying again with this one! I’m anxious to see how Sugar Moon does, I love a good, fragrant white rose. I could go on and on!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

How exciting! You’re gonna be busy! From your list I have Neptune, SugarMoon, TwilightZone and FragrantPlum.

They are all roses I would replace if lost, particularly SugarMoon-what a fragrance!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Oursteelers, thank you! I really need to cut back on my rose ordering, but I haven’t gotten to the point yet, that I regret that I got so many, but at some point a little common sense needs to prevail! I’ve read so many positive comments about Sugar Moon and now that I’m sold on Pope John Paul II, if it’s as good as that one, I’ll be very pleased.

A few rose pictures, just because.

THE MCCARTNEY ROSE

NEIL DIAMOND

FRAGRANT PLUM

LOVE SONG

4 years ago

I didn't realize that the McCartney rose was such a nice hot pink color .

I wish that I had room for Neil. I have Rock and Roll and it is ok. It has gotten to be a better bloomer so I leave it to improve but I don't think it is as pretty as Neil.

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

4 years ago

Your RnR is beautiful Kristine. I've only seen ND and it is beautiful and so fragrant. Please be sure to post pictures of Sugar Moon everyone. I have replaced mine and miss is gorgeous scent and lovely red stamens. Such a perfect beauty.

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

Such pretty pictures to enjoy! Trish, seeing your beautiful roses is especially nice. That Renae photo is beyond gorgeous. I wish I had the stone walls that you have. It adds so much charm to everything. Cyndita, I thought the exact same thing when I saw Kenneth’s fire! We’d be in for some big trouble if we burned something like that. Sara Ann, you ordered some great roses! My sister grows Neptune, and I was very impressed with it. It’s very hot there during the summer, but it was looking beautiful in July.

Not many roses blooming at all here, but some early spring flowers are blooming.

The freesias smell wonderful. These old species freesias are more strongly scented than the others. I have lots of freesia blooming today.

The ever faithful sweet peas are blooming up a storm.

I do have one bloom of Pretty Jessica indoors. She’s so fluffy!

I finally grew so tired of that rose thorn under my thumb nail, that I opened it up a bit and was able to remove it. Thank goodness that pesky thorn is gone. My thumb literally healed overnight after I removed it. I took the photo the day after removing it. I was pleasantly surprised it came out in one piece What a relief! Lisa

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Lisa all I can say is OUCH!!!

And I am so jealous of your PrettyJessica :)

4 years ago

That was a huge thorn compared to your thumb! Wow! I'm glad you were able to remove it and on the road to recovery. Your spring flowers are so pretty. My daffs are already developing flowers which I think is early. I'll have to check my notes. I don't like the early spring unless I know it will STAY Spring. So frustrating. However, with all the rain, I'm going to dig up an "extra" New Dawn to gift to friend for his back fence. I said no one will think of jumping it once it gets going. I'll be so happy to spread it around and have be happy. This was a practice cutting that I had planted in too much shade to flower well. It's still super healthy so I hope he likes it. Lisa, please keep your fingers crossed that my baby Pretty Jessica puts on some size this year. I was thinking of moving her, but decided to let her grow a bit and then decide. Her lilac undertone is so pronounce in your photo. Is that her true colour?

4 years ago

Lisa, so glad that you got that sucker out of there. I can't believe how big it is. What an irritant that must have been.

Well Azalea is out of the helmet. Her head hadn't changed in 2 months and the Dr didn't think that it would at this age so she has a better shape than she did but not perfect. But we are okay with being done

Too celebrate we went to the Grange to see the new baby chicks and to see what plants had come

in. Not much yet but I did grab some Lamium for my new shade area.

This weekend is supposed to be really cold so I will wait to plant them

By the way Lisa you already have so many beautiful flowers

I kind of envy your Zone. The only thing thriving here are the weeds. And yes they look very robust

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Kristine, that baby of yours couldn't be more beautiful. Who decides what a perfectly shaped head is, anyway? And, why does it matter? She's healthy and happy and as cute as can be.

4 years ago

Azalea looked kind of cute in that helmet! : )) Lilyfinch, I meant to say what a cutie you have there! What joy and personality in that expression! Is it warm enough to swim during the day there? Besides zero BS, swimming year round outside would be a dream!

4 years ago

The downside of being without the helmet is that it did protect her head, a lot. Toddlers are always falling in to something.

4 years ago

Maybe she'll still wear it! Who knows?

4 years ago

Too bad I just cut her hair for the helmet. Oh well it will grow out

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Kristine, your Rock N Roll looks good to me. Azalea is such a sweetheart, perfect just the way she is. Her pacifier (binky) reminds me of my oldest granddaughter. Right after she was born my daughter and son-in-law moved in with me for about two years, my daughter was a very young mother at the time, only 20, and like all young couples they were struggling a little financially. Anyway, I got to spoil my granddaughter and she liked her binky a lot. They were trying to wean her off of it. Guess who got her another one? I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything!

Lisa, I love seeing your beautiful Pretty Jessica and other flowers. So glad you got that thorn out, I’m sure that was very painful!

For those of you who grow flowers from seed, which ones do you start indoors, and which ones do best directly sown? I’m specifically wondering about larkspur, bachelor buttons, cosmos, and calendula, because it does seem like these should be directly sown. Any input about these and others would be appreciated.

4 years ago

I am not a great seed starter that is why I got the kit. My best luck is with the larger seeds like zinnias. Oh wait ,
    I guess that I put those in a peat pot too. Never mind, I really do stink at starting seeds.

• Nick 10bSW17
    4 years ago

I wish I had the patience for seeds, it would make gardening a lot more economical. This year I did save some volunteer babies in hopes of planting them in the garden later when they are larger. I have to keep reminding myself they are basically free and to keep at it. I'm cautiously optimistic the foxgloves won't be ugly when they bloom since they are F-1 hybrids, I'll find out in a few months!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

As you mentioned, Sara Ann, you can direct seed larkspur, cosmos, bachelor buttons, and calendula. I have done this many times, and currently couldn't get rid of calendula if I wanted to. You can also direct seed alyssum, Dara, the purple/brown wild carrot, which is a form of Queen Anne's Lace (which can also be direct seeded), rudbeckia Indian Summer, echinacea, Jupiter's Beard. Campanula rotundifolia, holly hocks, morning glory, four o'clock's, purple dark grape poppy, and more. I've done this for all I list. Indian Summer, echinacea, Jupiter's beard, alyssum, Dara calendula, hollyhocks, and more will reseed for you--no need to sow. Echinacea and Jupiter's beard, campanula, and others are perennials, not annuals. My favorite of all are snapdragons, which reliably reseed, and live for several years in my zone. For best results, initially start them inside from seed. Then, depending on how many snaps you want, you can continue to start indoors with the reseeders augmenting what you grow. Calendula and larkspur bloom only once, then set seed, and quit blooming. But calendual reseeds so massively, they in effect, bloom all summer, though the look of them can get messy by summer's end. Sorry to inundate you with too much information. Oh, penstemon is a favorite of mine (perennial), and some of it resows well, too. Free plants! Diane

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

Finally something is blooming...

It's an iris reticulata rhapsody...they are so teeny tiny!

4 years ago

What a vibrant purple color

4 years ago

Im feeling better after being able to plant my 4 standards :

Firefighter , life of the party , easy does it , & pretty lady rose

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Thank you Kristine, Nick and Diane. I appreciate this wealth of information Diane, very helpful! It’s funny that you mentioned that you directly sow the rudbeckia Indian Summer, I have started those indoors before and right now have been babying several along. I love snapdragons too, one of my favorites. There is one flower I’ve been wondering about called stock, I have never seen it bloom in person, but think the blooms are so pretty. I think it’s suitable in areas where summers are mild and wonder if it would even be possible for me grow it? I know I tend to get carried away! I’ve always loved flowers and roses, but had decided in recent years just to concentrate on roses. I have grown a few bedding plants in recent years that I usually pick up at a nursery, but I really enjoy starting flowers from seed much more, besides that I love bouquet flowers.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Busy busy busy here... My house goes up for sale March 26th...I got pre-qualified for a loan for a another house yesterday! :-) Things are looking up! :-)

Just have to figure out where I'm going live in between leaving here and finding another house...

Great photos everyone! :-)

Original Author
    4 years ago

STARTING A NEW THREAD!

click below:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5877507/winter-is-here-seasonal-thread-part-9

Thanks everyone!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Wonderful Jim. You are the most organized person, and that will help you to deal with things coming fast and furiously. I hope for a quick sale of your house. Thanks for starting a new thread.

Sara Ann, once you have a few Indian Summer in place, you will never have to start any from seed again. In fact, I would just throw the seed around the area where you want to grow it. Indian Summer will reseed and produce a whole garden's worth of plants, I guarantee you. Flowers has mentioned a friend of hers that just let those IS reseed all through her garden--it's the only thing she grows, and she doesn't have to do anything. I have grown stock before. It's lovely and has a wonderful scent, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those annuals that blooms just once and sets seed. When I grew larkspur, I was a beginning gardener. I didn't know that it would bloom just once, and I'd be stuck with no flowers the rest of the summer. I always think of annuals as blooming until frost, but that's not so. I wish I could think of another (can't remember the plant's name) early disaster where I'd planted masses of this annual. It bloomed spendidly, and then quit. What a mess for that bed. Diane

4 years ago

Gy! That drop in interest rates should help to m! Excellent