Flossing.......before or after?

Jasdip

This is a toilet paper kind of question........either way does the job!

I happened to see hubby flossing his teeth, and asked why he did it after brushing. He replied, "because that's how they do it at the dentist.

Good point. I've always done it before brushing.

Hmmmmm what's the consensus here?

SaveComment31Like1
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fun2BHere

I've tried it both ways and prefer to do it after brushing. I find if I do it before brushing that I still have a little bit of stubborn plaque to work on afterwards. Last year I bought a water flosser. Sometimes, I will water floss, then brush, then string floss, especially if I've eaten something that tends to leave debris under the gum line.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I brush first then floss. I use the waterpik too which does get the gum line cleaner...I put a splash of mouthwash in the water before using.

Save    
nickel_kg

I brush, then floss, then rinse. My daughter does opposite, said she'd rather brush away all the bits the floss scrapes off.

Save    
chisue

Brush, Floss, Rinse *hard*. I am always amazed with what comes out in the rinse, but then my teeth are thisclosetogether.

3 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

What's important is that you floss, not when in the sequence. It's to "brush" the in-between and under gum sides of the teeth. Plenty of bacteria remains in your mouth after you brush and after you rinse so it's not like the order makes a difference.

Save    
chloebud

Brush then floss. Every dental hygienist I've been to does that.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Hygienists do that when you're in the chair to get out the debris (which can include hardened pieces of plaque and also grit) produced by their treatment.

I have a relative who's a dentist and my comment (including that the order doesn't matter) is close to a verbatim account of what I was told.

Save    
dedtired

I floss then brush. I feel like I’m brushing away anything that got flossed loose. I prefer thos rubber picks to floss, but use both. My exes a dentist. He said it didnt matter as long as you did both.

1 Like Save    
OutsidePlaying

Brush, floss, rinse.

Save    
ritaweeda

I rinse any excess out, then brush, then floss, then brush and rinse again just to get the last bit out. It was really getting hard for me to use regular floss due to the arthritis in my fingers and I picked up some of those dual-line flossers with the handle. OMG those things get the crud out, you wouldn't believe the difference between those and the single line floss.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I just asked my GF who was a hygienist for 30 yrs...she says brush then floss.

Save    
DawnInCal

I floss, rinse/swish, brush and rinse/swish again.

Save    
nhbaskets

Dawn—you’re an overachiever!

I brush then floss. Never thought to do it the other way.

1 Like Save    
amylou321

Brush,floss,listerine,water.

SO uses listerine first, then brushes, then listerine again. He doesn't rinse the listerine out. I do not know why. He doesn't floss all the time. When he does,its first.

Save    
DawnInCal

Ha,Ha, nhbaskets! Yea, I tend to overthink things! :-)

Save    
arcy_gw

Odd one out here. I always floss first then brush.

Save    
morz8

No, arcy, I floss first, then brush. I've been trying to get to Costco for a couple of weeks to pick up the waterpic - water flosser combo that's on sale right now. $74.90 instead of $99. I gave up and ordered it last night, it will come in a couple of days.

I used to have one but not for a few years. I had a crown replaced last month and discussed the water cleaning with my dentist. ( I have better things to do with my time and money than replace crowns ;0)) He was in favor of them so thought I'd buy, try the new models. New dentist. My dentist that retired and he bought the practice from used to sell them at the office, new does not.

Save    
yeonassky

Floss waterpik gum stimulator, brush. The reason I do it this way is because my tooth paste has to be left on for 30 minutes with no rinsing.

You are also not supposed to rinse your mouth after Listerine for 30 minutes according to their website. I wait 30 minutes after brushing and then rinse with Listerine and then wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. It's a good thing I'm on the intermittent fasting thing so it works with my schedule. Of course I brush my teeth after breakfast again. :)

Save    
bleusblue2

floss first -- loosens up what's between teeth. Then brush it all away.

ETA -- I've also read that you shouldn't brush after eating -- give saliva a chance to do its work

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I always floss before. I don't like having debris in my mouth after I've cleaned my teeth.

Save    
Chessie

Brush first, floss last.

Save    
jemdandy

I brush first and then floss before rinsing. My mouth is full of toothpaste and that aids flossing. Also, since I use toothpaste for sensitive teeth (exposed roots), this method meets a recommendation by my dentist office's staff to allow the toothpaste to stay in contact with the sensitive teeth for a period of time.

Save    
chisue

I doubt there's much point for most of us to in rinse with anything other than plain or salt water . Love commercials where every mouthwash is superior to the others. Whatever 'germs' are killed are back in force in seconds -- it's their JOB, for heaven's sake!

2 Likes Save    
janey_alabama

My dentist told me to floss first, then brush then to use mouth wash. So that is what I do.

Save    
Raye Smith

I floss then brush. Just went to the dentist and warned him that last month I was very ill and can't remember if I did anything for my teeth for a week. He found very little to scrape off and said my teeth were very clean as usual. I never use any fluoride products and haven't found any mouth washes that I can use. All of them have artificial sugar in them - nope not using that junk.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"My dentist that retired and he bought the practice from used to sell them at the office, new does not."

I find that appalling - a dentist selling household appliances for what, a $10 or $15 profit?

Very unprofessional. That's perhaps why the new one stopped doing it.

Save    
morz8

Elmer, I agree with you. I don't know if the new dentist ('s', there are two) stopped because unprofessional or because the inventory would be an added start-up expense.

But there was a shelf of Sonicare products there for patients to buy for many years. Although when buying my own, I comparison shop and rarely pay full price for anything. Former dentist sold the prescription strength flouride toothpaste too, but would offer to write the prescription so a patient could buy from a drug store of their choice.

It did always look a little to me like a hair salon's product display. Keep a medical appointment and shop in one trip ;0)

Save    
honibaker

My hygienist told me I was doing it wrong...she said I should use my WaterPik first, then brush.

She wants the fluoride to remain on the teeth as long as possible, says the water flosser is so strong is cleans it away between the teeth. Just her opinion.

Save    
dedtired

Just came across this article that says floss first, then brush. Made me think of this thread.

February 17, 2020

Is there an ideal sequence for your oral hygiene routine? Well, according to recentstudies, yes. Researchers have found that flossing before brushing may be the most efficient for a thorough removal of dentalplaque. This sequence was also found to increase fluoride concentration delivered from the toothpaste, which makes your tooth enamel stronger, making it easier to resist decay.

That’s right, a simple two-step routine can not only effectively remove dental plaque and strengthen your teeth but can also help to minimize your time in orthodontic treatment. You can reap all these oral health benefits by playing your role. Your oral health care doesn’t end after you leave your dentist or orthodontist office, you are also a partner in the process.

Play your role

Keep your teeth clean. Orthodontic treatment is a team effort between your orthodontist, dentist and you, and your role includes:

1. Brushing for two minutes after every meal or snack. If you can’t brush, make sure to at least rinse your mouth with water.
  2. Flossing at least once a day, ideally before you brush.
  3. Making sure your teeth are thoroughly clean before bed.
  4. Seeing your general dentist every 4-6 months for cleanings and check-ups.
  5. Avoiding sugary foods and drinks that can contribute to decalcification and tooth decay.

Why is all this brushing and flossing necessary?

Not maintaining a proper oral hygiene routine puts you at risk for poor oral health.

Orthodontic appliances themselves don’t cause oral health issues, but they may create spaces that can be difficult to clean, creating areas for potential decay. When plaque and food accumulate around your braces this can lead to permanent white marks (decalcification), cavities, swollen gums, bad breath and periodontal disease.

Tools + tips

• Interproximal brushes – these are great at dislodging plaque and food particles trapped between teeth, and to clear out debris that catches on brackets and wires.
  • Water irrigators – these can flush out food particles quickly!
  • Fluoride mouth rinse – whether over the counter or prescription strength, a daily fluoride rinse can strengthen tooth enamel and help prevent white marks (decalcification).
  • Your orthodontist may suggest dipping an interproximal brush in a capful of fluoride rinse to deliver fluoride protection between the teeth or using a fluoride rinse instead of water in an irrigator.

Trust an AAO orthodontist

You can work with an American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) Orthodontist to achieve a healthy, beautiful smile at any age. Orthodontists are experts in orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics – properly aligned teeth and jaws – and possess the skills and experience to give you your best smile. Find an orthodontist near you at aaoinfo.org/locator.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I do use those little wee brushes with a small handle to get in between my teeth. And flossing before brushing? Yay!

Save    
dedtired

I love those teensy brushy things. I keep some in a drawer next to wear I sit to watch tv. Also in my handbag to remove those annoying bits that get stuck after eating, used discreetly, of course.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Small Spaces Before and After: Genius Sliding Solutions in 323 Square Feet
A special staircase parapet and an innovative space-saving bed turn an old attic into a cozy mini apartment in Rome
Full Story
Before and Afters Before and After: Moroccan-Inspired Palm Springs Style
Escape to the 2018 Modernism Week showcase home, where jewel tones and graphic tile create a cool desert vibe
Full Story
Before and Afters Before and After: A Typical Garage Becomes a Vibrant Home Theater
Cozy, durable furniture and colorful lights give a Florida family a multiuse space that it uses every day
Full Story