Obama trolls Trump with facts

chipotle

SaveComment71Like15
Comments (71)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy

You do remember Bush started a war and gave a tax cut at the same time. Then he Doubled down with risky home loans. He didn’t want the general public to cry theynwere suffering because of his unfounded war. The war debt was even kept off the books. a world wide recession greeted Obama when he was running for office. It took a good ten years as predicted to come out of the recession without high inflation. That was guided by Obama not making a hasty recovery. The base for recovery was set by Obama.

14 Likes Save    
Nana H

It's a bit unlike Obama to tweet in this manner. I like it !!! Bet he is driving Trump nuts. Yet all the numbers bear it out , the economy is pretty much holding steady not growing.

11 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Where is the love button? I don't just like that, I love it. Fight fire with fire.

10 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

21 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Well, maybe Obama saw that Bernanke was competent and kept him on regardless of who appointed him. Can't say that about Trump. Trump only cares about loyalty to him and doesn't care about competency.

12 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

After seeing the chaos of the current administration, even if (BIG if) all Obama did was sit back and NOT screw up the systems put in place by Bush I count that as a win.

It takes a great deal of humility and courage to acknowledge the good choices of a political rival and continue on that course.

And it takes considerable wisdom to know that if something isn’t broke, there is no need to fix it.

11 Likes Save    
paprikash

Obama’s fake facts. He is a joke except to his adoring cult.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

It takes a great deal of humility and courage to acknowledge the good choices of a political rival and continue on that course.

But that is not what Obama did. HE tried taking credit with him signing the recovery act. I do not see any mention of acknowledgement to Bush, do you?

1 Like Save    
zmith

TRUMPs fake facts. He is a joke except to his adoring cult.

8 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Haha Hay, on the same wave length

funny

Save    
Nana H

Bush had absolutely nothing to do with the Recovery Act.

4 Likes Save    

Oh, I see that once again I failed to express myself clearly enough.

While President it would take humility and courage to tacitly acknowledge the efficacy of one’s predecessor from a rival party by continuing his/her good policies.

As far as this tweet goes, are his words untrue?

Did he not sign the Recovery Act eleven years ago?

Had he not signed it, where would we be today?

Had he acted in pride and ignorance to destroy any policies that Bush had put in place simply because they were made by Bush, would the economy be as good as it is today?

13 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Yes - let's all ignore the fact that a Democratic president left our nation with billions in surplus, and his GOP successor squandered it all - & more - on tax cuts and war that destabilized the Middle East and led to the formation of ISIS, shall we?

The great recession of '08 was just more icing on that crappy cake.

Stop trying to spoil people's loathing for President Obama with facts.

13 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Left out a few words:

Hatred of most of Trump's policies.

Some hate him. Others hate most of what he does

1 Like Save    

“Better off.

[clip]

And don't forget Cash for Clunkers. Take cars that still have some life left in them and pour sand down inside the cylinders just to make sure they can never be of any value to anyone.”

I’m unclear how driving a beater car for a few more months would have made anyone better off. Folks who would otherwise have replaced their vehicle in 2+ years did it on a shorter time frame, and higher polluting vehicles were taken off the road sooner. Win-win.

They were deliberately disabled to prevent reselling. I don’t want my tax dollars to pay for cars for Joe Blow to sell outright, do you? Joe Blow can invest his own money in beaters to sell if that’s his business model.

As for the road to nowhere, that sounds like pretty typical bureaucratic nonsense that takes place under any political structure regardless of who is President. Every year our city (conservative leadership without fail since 1800s) salt brines the roads starting in October whether they are icy or not; gotta use up that whole budget so you get it the next year. If the budget is gone and we get three extra, unforeseen weeks of winter the cost of that road maintenance accrues debt or has to be taken from another budget item, or might be covered by provincial grants. It drives me crazy because it is NOT fiscally responsible.

6 Likes Save    
chipotle

Here's White House trade adviser Peter Navarro insisting that the economy was bad during the Obama years, even as CNN host Poppy Harlow displays numbers showing that growth was stronger then than it has been under Trump.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1229780637374144514

3 Likes Save    

Hay since you figure the economy would have been better off if Obama didn’t sign the Recovery Act, and you figure it was Bush’s policy all along, does that mean you think Bush’s policy was crap? (Sincere question)

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Obama trying to be relevant--sorry Zero, your party LEFT you long ago!

They're Commies now.

1 Like Save    
Wants to Grow

"We're not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that's fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you've made enough money." - Obama, April 29, 2010"

“When somebody says like the person you just mentioned who I’m not going to advertise for, that he’s going to bring all these jobs back. Well how exactly are you going to do that? What are you going to do? There’s uh-uh no answer to it. He just says. “I’m going to negotiate a better deal.” Well how? How exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is, he doesn’t have an answer." - Obama, June 2016

1 Like Save    
Nana H

"Obama trying to be relevant--sorry Zero, your party LEFT you long ago!

They're Commies now."

Except the Democratic party " elites" don' t seem to be embracing Bernie, or so I'm told here....so that tells me they think the middle lane is the safest path.

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

As I recall Bush tossed in a Trillion to save the banks and Obama tossed in another Trillion to jump start the economy. Throw enough money at anything and it will stimulate, never mind the bills piling on to the debt, that will arrive later.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

During the Great Depression, the GOP on the Hill fought President Obama on stimulus packages, extensions of unemployment benefits, and more. Claims that President Obama's recovery initiatives were failing came regularly from Republicans in DC.

During the 2008 election, handling of the financial crisis and growing unemployment was a major concern. Lack of trust in McCain's proposed remedy -- the usual Republican let's-do-little response -- played its part in his defeat at the polls.

3 Likes Save    
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

when lacking arguments, switch to whataboutism, dangle key chains, ask for emails& the server, project your/ your dear leader s crime onto the opposition...

10 Likes Save    
bob_cville

A lot of revisionist history going on here.

Hapless, witless, Bush, aided and abetted by the Republican Congress, through his various policies, brought about a near catastrophic collapse of the economy. Like a veritable deer in the headlights, Bush essentially did nothing. Obama, even before his inauguration, brought specific, concrete, immediate proposals to forestall the ongoing worsening of the economy, and since he had no actual power to enact anything yet, let Bush take credit for enacting those proposals. Then after he was in office he pushed through other measures, despite Republican obstreperousness, that stopped further worsening and started the US on the road to recovery, including rescuing the US automotive industry from complete collapse.

But of course none of the Right remembers any of those facts, just like they never remember that all of the most serious economic downturns in this country were presided over by Republican administrations. And now as with every other time in the past their focus is on unwinding and rolling back safeguards and regulations that were put in place, to prevent the unwise actions and activities that led to those serious downturns.

Yes, Obama's recovery efforts added greatly to the national debt. Some of them were likely more costly than other possible plans that may have accomplished the same result. But it was a crisis, swift actions were needed to stop it from worsening. Were we better off at the end of Obama's terms than we might have been as compared against some imagined best possibly case -- probably not. Were we better off at the end of Obama's terms as compared to the crashing, rapidly worsening disaster left by Bush and his Republican cohort -- without any doubt.

18 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I love it when Trump supporters accuse Obama supporters of having an adoring cult about him. Mirror, mirror ...

3 Likes Save    
bob_cville

> I'd just love to see Obama's school records.

I'd love to see Trump's school records, but of course we can't, because he has threatened the schools he attended with massive lawsuits to prevent his likely laughably, dismal academic record from coming to light.

We have heard that despite Trump claiming to have finished at the "top of his class" at Wharton business school some of his professors there felt the president was a fool stating that ‘Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had,'”

9 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Daddy bought Donnie’s degree, just like he bought his kids’ degrees. It’s quite obvious there’s not a lot of brainpower in this family. Same for Jared.

5 Likes Save    
Ann

Lol, whatever message the Dems are trying to express regarding the economy is great fun to watch.

• It's not a great economy at all as it only works for the top 1%. The rest are struggling and living paycheck to paycheck.
  • It's only a great economy because of Obama.

Hmmm, is it a great economy or a lousy economy? Best to get everyone on the same page Dems. You're contradicting yourselves:)

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

What precisely did Trump do to "improve" the economy?

1 Like Save    
Wants to Grow

What precisely did Trump do to "improve" the economy?

Hi patriciae_gw, For starters, Trump removed Obama's boot from the throat of America's economy, by canceling hundreds of Obama's job killing regulations.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Oh the regulations on clean air, clean water, and preserving our environment for our children? Those pesky things?

14 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Dag nab it, iris. And it was Nixon's EPA that started it all. Stupid regs.

5 Likes Save    
Ann

Obama better keep tweeting because he has some serious convincing to do, if he'd like credit from the public. I couldn't find any polls from Feb, but this is from Jan 26.

"Moreover, the bulk of voters credit Trump for the economy. When asked to say who or what they think is most responsible for the current economy, without the aid of a list, the top answer is Trump and Republicans (42 percent). Next, mentioned by far fewer, is former President Obama and Democrats (9 percent) and big business (7 percent)."

Save    
Kathy

I doubt Obama wants credit as much as he is tired of hearing Trump take all the credit for the economy, as if Trump did it alone. Trump is no miracle worker. If anything he is a destructive force and the sooner his supporters realize what he has destroyed the quicker we can heal as a country.

2 Likes Save    

“Hi patriciae_gw, For starters, Trump removed Obama's boot from the throat of America's economy, by canceling hundreds of Obama's job killing regulations.”

And that caused the economy to grow and unemployment to drop at more or less the same rate (well, less really not so much the more part) as during Obama’s Presidency PLUS paved the way for greater destruction of the environment.

WINNING!

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Don't need polls when hard numbers, not opinions, bear out the facts.

2 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

Hi miss lindsey, What is winning is for Obama to try and get in on the credit for Trump's booming economy. Guess you might say Obama agrees the economy is going well, in spite of his job killing efforts.

Save    
bleusblue2

It's odd that my post has disappeared -- I wouldn't say it added a lot to the discussion, but there was nothing offensive in it ... oh well

Save    
Ann

Yup, those hard numbers indicate Obama had the most "sluggish" recovery in history. And, Trump's hard numbers indicate he's presiding over a first - the longest economic expansion in history. Each man with a first:)

Save    
HU-885118952

Ann, imagine if we had accepted 2% growth to be the norm and never shoot for more.

Save    

Only in Trumpland...

1 Like Save    
zmith

The GDP growth rate under Trump so far averages between 2 and 3 percent.

3 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Trump was handed a good economy. Obama does not need accolades but must speak up in case there are 1 or 2 trumpers paying attention.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

Obama created more jobs than Trump.

5 Likes Save    
Ann

Again, it was the most sluggish recovery in history. I guess for some, it's far better to ignore that elephant in the room and pretend you are comparing apples to apples. Okay:)

1 Like Save    

it was the most sluggish recovery in history.

The Great Depression lasted over 10 years.

The Great Recession was the most severe economic downturn since the Great Depression, and certainly would last longer than previous recessions by being so much deeper.

Please remember that the GOP on the Hill fought the stimulus packages endorsed by President Obama which would have shortened the recession. They even fought the extension of unemployment benefits by arguing -- in a horrendous job market -- that extended unemployment would make workers lazy. As if unemployment benefits come anywhere close to the previous wages being earned.

12 Likes Save    
zmith

^^^Exactly, Nancy. The Repubs tried repeatedly to thwart Obama’s efforts to help the economy. And now, SURPRISE, the Repubs are blaming Obama for a “sluggish” recovery.

5 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"... growth of the country’s gross domestic product hit 4 percent four times during the Obama administration and unemployment rates dropped 2.5 percent — accomplishments that have not been matched under Trump."

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

Between Fox and Trump the repetition of his faux accomplishments have convinced Reps Trump is a miracle worker.

4 Likes Save    
cattyles

And trump supporters attempt to refute facts with trump lies. On and on and on.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

Comparing the last three years of O and the first three years of T—-average monthly jobs:

Obama——224, 000

Trump——-189,000

GDP only slightly higher under Trump at 2.5 (Obama 2.3) but far short of the 4-6% he promised.

Trump’s economy not as great as he is always boasting about. And he sure as heck did not turn anything around as he’d like everyone to believe. It’s been a 12 year upward trajectory. We’d probably be where we are now no matter who was president.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"and unemployment rates dropped 2.5 percent "

More than that. Unemployment hit 10% in 2009 (and stayed above 8% for 3 years). Right now, it's at 3.6%.

Save    

Unemployment hit 10% in 2009

Yep, the Great Recession.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Unemployment rates by year from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

2009——9.9

2010——-9.3

2011——-8.5

2012——7.9

2013——6.7

2014——5.6

2015——5.0

2016——4.7

2017——4.1

2018——3.9

2019——3.5

So, just like the economy has continued on an upward trajectory for 11 years, unemployment has followed a downward trajectory during the same time period. In fact, Obama’s numbers went down an average of around 7 points each year, while Trump has averaged 4.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Are there Obama-haters who wish that Obama would NOT have helped to pull the economy from recession? Sure seems like there's some griping about it.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I don't know how people can argue hard mumbers staring them right in the face. Trump did not create this great economy he CONTINUED what started under Obama. That' s the facts and the numbers bear it out.

I guess we can be thankful he hasn't screwed it up.

6 Likes Save    
Ann

Yup, the unemployment numbers Joanie posted point out what Trump has "CONTINUED" very, very nicely:) LOL!

Save    
Nana H

Continued being the operative word....not created.

3 Likes Save    
petalique

Donald Trump and Wharton:

Fred called on a favor.

DJT, despite his tiresome bragging and name dropping, was not a particularly good student, and definitely did not achieve any academic positives.

He was only an undergraduate, and did not receive a graduate degree. He was a transfer student an a family acquaintance in the admissions department did a favor to Fred and helped the young Donald get admitted.

in 1968, Wharton was much easier to get admitted to. It did not have the status it enjoys today and where admission is very competitive.

[Factoid — (my bolding)

“... Nolan told me he spent a lot of time in those days at the Trump McMansion in Jamaica Estates, which he described as “very big, with lots of bedrooms” and blackface lawn jockeys lining the approach. Both friends planned to enroll at Penn, but only Nolan got accepted. Ten years later, Nolan was working in Penn’s admissions ­department — he would later become director of undergraduate admissions — when Fred called in a favor.“ ]

Here is an interesting read:

❗️ https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/09/14/donald-trump-at-wharton-university-of-pennsylvania/

Here is another article:

(After this, it continues)

https://www.quora.com/Did-Donald-Trump-actually-graduate-from-the-Wharton-School-as-he-claims

Did Donald Trump actually graduate from the Wharton School as he claims?

Yes, but from the undergraduate program in economics, not with a MBA from its prestigious business school as he has tried tried to suggest on numerous occasions.

And although he has claimed that he graduated with honors—“tops in my class”—that is a lie. He is not listed amongst those earning degrees with honors at any level in the graduation program. He would later claim that he had “the highest grades possible”, also untrue.

And while he has demanded that others—like Obama—produce their academic transcripts, Trump has refused to do so himself and even had his lawyer threaten any school that might.

Trump entered Wharton as a transfer student so he did not have to provide the pre-admission SAT scores which some pro-Trump websites claim attest to his academic prowess.

His fellow classmates recall him as a “mediocre student” and one of his professors, the late William T. Kelley, called him "...the dumbest goddamn student I ever had.”

Edited for clarity

3 Likes Save    
zmith

And although he has claimed that he graduated with honors—“tops in my
class”—that is a lie. He is not listed amongst those earning degrees
with honors at any level in the graduation program. He would later claim
that he had “the highest grades possible”, also untrue.

The highest grades possible for his feeble brain is more like it.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

It is estimated Trump’s trade wars and tariffs have killed 300,000 jobs by the end of 2019 and likely to worsen in 2020 because of contraction of manufacturing.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Sure, I'll chime.

I'd like to see the academic records of the presidents. Along with their taxes and financial records going back 10 years. (Calling for that one out of the many past presidents is so full of disdain for that one, right? Or is it contempt? Or hate?)

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Ahhh, but when has a community not had a government?

Save    
Ann

Bernie has had a couple of great days in the betting market. Today, Bernie is predicted to win every state in the primary season, with the single exception of Arkansas, where he is tied with Bloomberg.

But, maybe Bloomberg will be outstanding on the debate stage tonight and turn that right around.

ETA: Several other comments came in but it was Hayday's Iowa chart that prompted this comment.

Save    
Ann

"It is estimated Trump’s trade wars and tariffs have killed 300,000 jobs by the end of 2019 and likely to worsen in 2020 because of contraction of manufacturing."

Kathy, it is a frightening jobs situation in our country. I've been losing sleep over our staggering unemployment numbers.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Trump White House sending out emails saying the public doesn't believe Obama is responsible more than Trump ... so pathetic, this attempt to be liked.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Lol, well Trump is certainly right about that:) I'm a little surprised about Obama's tweet. Seems like a tweet from a has been trying to remain relevant - definitely a bit "pathetic" IMO:)

1 Like Save    

Governor Gavin Newsom delivered the California State of the State address this morning. He made a point of saying that California was still benefitting from President Obama's recovery [loud applause], and underlined that California's increase in GDP was higher than that of the entire US. (One could almost imagine that Newsom was a Democratic candidate in the 2020 primaries.)

The bulk of the speech addressed the homeless crisis, and introduced Newsom's plans to solve the problem.

Of course there was also this -- https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/californias-homelessness-crisis-a-disgrace-gov-gavin-newsom-says-in-state-of-the-state-speech/ar-BB10aOyd:

In his speech, Newsom dismissed Trump as being more interested in scoring political points than providing meaningful assistance to those living on the streets, namely through federal housing assistance from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

"California has and will continue to extend its hand of partnership to Washington, seeking to jointly address this issue," Newsom said. "But empty words and symbolic gestures won't mask a 15% across-the-board cut to HUD's budget."

1 Like Save    
Wants to Grow

Hi Nancy, Governor Newsom thinks the housing solution will be solved by forcing your city to allow investors to build Accessory Dwelling Units and Junior Dwelling Units in your neighborhood.

Newsom doesn't care about strain this policy puts on your city services or neighborhood parking availability.

Save    
haydayhayday

Nancy:

"During the Great Depression, the GOP on the Hill fought President Obama on stimulus packages, extensions of unemployment benefits, and more. Claims that President Obama's recovery initiatives were failing came regularly from Republicans in DC."

(I think you're meaning the Great Recession.)

The so-called stimulus packages were a total waste. Did absolutely nothing to get us out of the mess. Actually slowed us down.

If wild man Krugman had his way, we'd still be trying to prod the economy alone.

He's an idiot.

You don't spend your way out of a disaster. You just end up taking money from the productive ones and building roads to nowhere.

Waste.

Save    
haydayhayday

Kathy:

"Between Fox and Trump the repetition of his faux accomplishments have convinced Reps Trump is a miracle worker."

Funny.

So silly.

Obama is chosen one.

Hay

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Features Houzz TV: Life, Love and Purpose Down on the Farm
A Missouri native proves that you can go home again — and discover something entirely unexpected
Full Story
Decorating 101 Decorating 101: Do It Yourself or Hire a Pro?
Learn the advantages and disadvantages of decorating alone and bringing in skilled help
Full Story