SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brittany_finkle

What to do with the floors with wood ceiling?

Brittany Finkle
4 years ago

Just bought a new home and we absolutely love the gorgeous ceilings. However, we're a little confused on what floors to put in our bedroom. The rest of the house has been re-done with oak laminate flooring which looks nice, but somehow in the bedroom where it's closer to the floor, I'm having trouble deciding whether to get laminate (and what color) or carpet.

Here in the bedroom - not open to painting the tounge & groove, but open to painting the beams and walls:

And here is the rest of the house with same ceilings and oak laminate flooring.

Of course the laminate flooring color is discontinued, but what do you guys think? For the bedroom should we find a similar color laminate flooring? Different color? Or just do carpet?

Thanks!

Find similar Oak Laminate flooring
Different color Laminate Flooring
Carpet

Comments (39)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would continue with the oak laminate and keep the wood finish on the beams but I would paint that horrible orange stained wood ceiling white.

• Jennifer K
    4 years ago

As someone who likes "horrible orange", my issue is more with pairing it with dishwater grey. ;) Were this my house, I'd be doing the floor in wood the same colour as the beams.

• Related Discussions

What do you do to protect wood floors from dog water bowls, etc.?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi. The occasional water spill is not a problem with hardwood floors. Remember that wood floors have been used for hundreds of years in all types of climates, most notably the harsh Northern and Midwestern winters; snow & sleet not withstanding. Take normal precautions you'd take with your carpets. Clean up spills as soon as possible. Do not allow standing water, etc. For your dog bowls, a nice rug under the bowls will prevent them from slipping and scratching the floor, as well as help absorb the occasional sloshing. As for snow, the salt, sand, and other abrasives tracked in are of more concern than the water. I would definitely have a really good rubber mat or something to protect the floor at the entrances, more to protect the finish that the wood it self. If the design allows, it might be good to leave a "foyer" of tile or marmoleum to allow for wet boots, etc. And if mom or the girls favor high heels, leave them there too. High heel shoes is one of a wood floors worst enemies. Those little devils and really mark up all but the hardest woods. If your other kid is a large dog, keep those nails trimmed. Otherwise, wood is pretty carefree. Have fun!
    ...See More

Should I do dark wood floors with low ceiling.

Q

Comments (3)
    A dark floor in a home with low ceilings will make the space look smaller and darker. This isn't a bad thing if you are looking for snug and cozy. If you are looking for bright and airy, you will be working with a natural finish. It is all dependent on what you are trying to do with your space. You will want to sit down and ask yourself, "Am I looking for a small English Country Cottage with beams so low that I can knock myself unconscious, or am I looking to recreate an artist's loft with oodles of light and space?" There are many people who LOVE the feel of a small cozy home. There are others who wouldn't be caught dead in one. It is all a matter of perspective. What is your perspective?
    ...See More

What to put on vaulted ceiling with wood plank oak floors

Q

Comments (15)
    In looking at your ideabooks, the gray blues in beatle kill with no beams would provide plenty of interest. Then keep wood flooring quiet. Maybe a walnut. Go light walls and black or bronze iron chandeliers and sconces for contrast. Love to see your floor plan.
    ...See More

what flooring with wood ceilings

Q

Comments (2)
    I was thinking the same thing - you sure the floors can’t be sanded and shined up?
    ...See More
  • Design Girl
    4 years ago

You've got a problem in that your ceiling is REAL wood and an orange tone, and your floors are NOT REAL and are gray. I think the only way to harmonize the space is to get rid of one or the other. I have to say, that I think Beverly's idea of painting the orangey wood would be the least expensive and best option.

• Little Bug
    4 years ago

I would never paint real wood, orange or not.

I would also never install wood-look laminate, and certainly not gray.

So now you have 3 widely differing viewpoints. Not much help. 😉

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Don't jump the gun! Live there for a year and make decisions/changes slowly. Start ideabooks here on Houzz with beamed ceiling looks you like. Take your time; no real rush unless you're just flipping the house.

• Renee
    4 years ago

I would do a wood floor painted the same color as the beams (or same color stained wood, can’t tell from photo) and get an area rug for a quick fix in the bedroom. With that sliding door, I wouldn’t do carpet. In the living room, that floor was not a good choice. It is better with the gorgeous fireplace than the ceiling. I agree. Paint the orange ceiling white. It is a gorgeous living room. Great features. Just a bad floor idea which can be fixed.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Carpet is best choice in bedroom for us. I sure wouldn’t want more wood. All Beverly’s photos are on point in my mind.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would put in carpet for now. When you change out the laminate flooring, put in all one floor that coordinates with the ceiling woods.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

found another example that's very close to what you have. Terrazzo again. perfect

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

Agree, terrazzo would be a great choice. Don’t know if it would be cost prohibitive to use throughout the house. I would not install more fake wood floors, especially with real wood ceilings. I wonder how painting the beams white and leaving the tongue and groove as is would work?

• Brittany Finkle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think maybe the real estate agent imagery wasn’t the best. I took a pic this morning - it’s not an orange stain!

There’s NO way I’m painting the tongue and groove - it’s beautiful. And you guys are being hard on the laminate! I’m super picky and didn’t even want engineered wood, real wood only, but the laminate is a beautiful quality - it’s really made me rethink the cost. I’d love terrazzo, but we live in Portland and tile flooring is too cold.

Thank for all of the advice!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

If your only question is about carpeting in the master bedroom the answer is yes. Carpet. Something light. Stepping out of bed in am is much warmer with carpet.

• rustynail
    4 years ago

Thank you for not painting that beautiful ceiling!

• Brittany Finkle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like the idea of matching the floor to the beams! I think I might go that route with a lighter area rug under the bed! Thanks guys!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

heated floor? they can do that for the terrazzo or any tile.

Slate would be the only natural stone that stays at room temp and won't get cold. A black slate would also look nice.

• Brittany Finkle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For sure! I think we just have 3000 sq ft of projects to work on - the oak laminate is the newest thing in the house so it’s staying for now! LOL - this carpet in the bedroom is just dingy, so needed a fix for it first

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Cork would be another option. nice for the bedroom. and it's what they used back in the day. check into that too

1954, orig cork floors!

here's one from Portland , original condition

https://retrorenovation.com/2013/08/29/mid-century-modern-house-portland-oregon/

Brittany Finkle thanked Beth H. :
  • izeve
    4 years ago

I would definitely go with a neutral light colored carpet so that it's soft and warm underfoot. Also, the ceiling is the star, so it wouldn't compete with it.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

A cork floor will naturally reflect the gold tones in the ceiling. You can look for a marbled looking cork so that it has tinges of the darker beams as well. Here's my personal cork choice for your situation: https://www.icorkfloor.com/store/rococo-12mm-cork-floating-flooring/

Or a striated cork with a stronger stripe: https://www.icorkfloor.com/store/rococo-12mm-cork-floating-flooring/

• PRO
    Vicki Simon Interior Design
    4 years ago

Congratulations on the purchase of your gorgeous mid-Century! Those ceilings are original and beautiful and so is the fireplace. I think it is an unfortunate mix--the oak laminate flooring with that lovely original T&G wood ceiling. So to answer your question, I think carpet is the way to go in the bedroom. It is nice to have carpet in the bedroom for bare feet getting in and out of bed. A shag would be era appropriate. I would go with a color that you like and not take the safe route of beige like it is now. The other possible choice would be a real wood floor in a medium tone to better match the ceiling, then put a big giant rug under and around the bed, or in front of the nightstands and into the open space of the room. You could paint the beams or leave them dark brown (is that stained wood or paint?) Painting them to match the wall color would be soothing in the bedroom.

• Kat
    4 years ago

If you think that one day you may replace your flooring in the rest of the house, I would do carpet now and then you can do all the flooring together. Doing a dark hardwood now, unless you do stained on site that can be matched, may run you into not being able to match it in the future. On my screen the floor in the rest of the house looks more like a pale blond oak vinyl than it does gray. Which is it?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

Would advise carpet in the bedroom. Wood flooring plus your wood ceiling would be overkill IMO. Good luck!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Boy this group really knows how to spend your money. I have had both wood and laminate. I wouldn't go back to wood with all the realistic laminates out there. Damp mop and you're done with maintenance. No refinishing, no scuffs, no stains. If your current floors please you that's all that counts.

• Brittany Finkle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To answer @kat - I think there was some confusion at the beginning. There is currently ugly gray carpet in the bedroom and a light oak laminate floor in the rest of the house. I don’t think we’ll re-do the entire house’s floor anytime soon.

And @BeverlyFLADeziner - I SO AGREE! Growing up with hardwood floors I always thought it was the only option, but this laminate is so realistic and gorgeous, I knew it wasn’t HW but I thought it was engineered when I first saw it!

• Pamela
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add: I hope the original poster ended up just getting carpeting for the bedroom for now. I am chiming in a year later but we had similar issues with a high sloping light ash wood tongue-and-groove ceiling the length of an MCM. Flooring was a big issue and we ended up getting a light bleached cork in 24X24 tiles for the entire house except bathrooms. I had wanted wood flooring but in any version it gave the house a feeling of a log cabin, so WRONG for a modern, sleek MCM. Darker floors would make the house feel smaller. Concrete flooring would have worked, but too hard on the joints. Our superbleached cork --my fingers are crossed-- will fit the original esthetic, lighten things up, and feel neutral all at once. Still waiting for the tiles to arrive.

• kayschack
    last year

@Brittany Finkle : What did you end up doing? I'm in the SAME predicament...almost same color beams and T&G...need to replace old tile throughout very large house. Would love to see more pics of your oak looking laminate because I'm thinking of doing some LVP and can't figure out the color scheme.

@Pamela : do you have a pic of your cork finished room?

Any pro's out there: Have you ever had experience "de-oranging" the ceiling? My T&G is pine, from 35 years ago. Has a nice orange glow to it. I'm against painting it since it's just so unique and I'd hate to loose the wood look.

Pics attached

• Pamela
    last year

Kayschack --here you go: happy I did this because an MCM is NOT supposed to look like a log cabin. It is supposed to be sleek and modern. And the light floors have almost doubled the feel of the space --the have opened it up, and what was a dark small space became spare, large, light and bright.

• Pamela
    last year

And by the way, take a look at our ceiling. It had been yellow. we had to do something because of all the water and smoke damage from the fire.

• kayschack
    last year

Turned out great @Pamela! Thanks for your reply!!

• User
    last year

@kayschack tons of previous comments here recommending not to pair LVP with a real wood ceiling.

Also, your color is gorgeous, I don't think it looks too orange. To me, it mimics a cedar color, which has been incredibly popular over the past decade.

Many homes with ceilings like this have wood floors in a color lighter than the ceiling, with a slight warm undertone (don't go for a greyish floors, it will clash).

• kayschack
    last year

@User these are super helpful pics, thanks! I too like the look of those slightly warm lighter wood tones. Excellent examples. I see the comments about the no-no on LVP, but I'm realllly having a hard time deterring from it. Last house had real wood that was destroyed by my then dog and small toddler. Fast forward to now with 1 year old, 4 year old, dogs (forever will have) and tons of parties and action for the foreseeable future. I can't risk it. Any other suggestions for flooring?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

kayscheck that's a beautiful ceiling. doesn't appear too orange.

What I would do is change out the tile and carpeting to something else.

maybe some other furnishings, and consider doing the stair rail to something more updated.

lastly, and you prob will shoot me for saying this, the brick. I'd white wash it, paint it black, paint it white, put in a wood beam mantle and a huge, killer piece of art where you have the clock.

The ceilings in this room are NOT the problem. at all. it's everything else. So before you spend a grip of money trying to strip the 'orange', use the money to redo the other issues.

let me show you the diff. All of the ceilings are the same wood color as yours. look at the wall color, and the flooring, and the furniture.

bright white walls and blue accents compliment the wood.

now, the brick. Perhaps you could cover a portion of the brick w/drywall. You could alway fir out the brick and cover it, but maintain it for future.

I think doing a partial cover and then doing the main portion of the brick fireplace in black would look amazing w/your ceiling!

red oak flooring, white walls, appropriate furniture

This one too.

sorry, but the floor tile is something that is just too busy w/that brick and that ceiling.

I photoshopped this FP onto yours. I love these furnishings and all the art and color too.

maybe you could cover up the side brick w/some bookcases or something

painted all white
    This is beautiful w/the wood ceiling and wood floors

you could do a heavier limewash or mortar wash for this look

another limewash/mortar

they painted the brick a dark graphite shade.

I can't even find a picture of your brick wall w/a vaulted wood ceiling!

I find partial walls,

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2747836/entire-wall-of-living-room-is-brick-floor-to-ceiling-w-fireplace

• kayschack
    last year

@Beth H. :Great pics to share with me! Thanks so much. Lots of great ideas here. I ended up posting another thread on this topic too with more info I should have shared in this one. Anyhow, LOTS will be changing; demoed tile and carpet, demoed old school planter box, and updating the staircase with light/white risers, tons of new furnishings, including something along that wall by the TV, possibly built in or otherwise, large California style door onto the deck where that door and windows are, replacing the arched window with two that will symmetry the oppo side, etc etc.

This is my childhood home that my husband and I purchased just recently. Lots of this is nostalgic to me, so it's hard to conceive of changes, the brick in particular since it was built by my dad (dad designed the home-civil engineer) and pulled from one of his first jobs when he was super young. But I'm definitely open to ideas to kick the nostalgia down a bit :) I like the vibe of limewash brick pic you sent.

Flooring wise; 1 year old, 4 year old, dog (and forever will have) parties and action forever to come. Need durable.

I'm elated to hear multiple comments about it not being "too orange".

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

here, I did a photoshop of this one for you. if you could open up those arches (you'd lose a lot of the brick which really overpowers the room,)

see the openings on the sides? like where your arches are.

now imagine your floors done in a natural oak, walls done in a brighter white

I still like this the best. you could still open the arches. maybe put in some book cases

do you have a link for your updated post? love to see what you've done so far

• kayschack
    last year

@Beth H. :That's a cool idea to eliminate the arch work on the brick.. I'm digging the light natural Oak floor. Other post is essentially the same as this. Don't know quite how to link it. Maybe if you click my name you can see? It just had some more history of the pieces to my story. I haven't started anything yet. Meeting with a few GC's to get some bids and go from there to see how much hemorrhaging of money we can handle for round 1. Guide is much of Studio McGee's vibe. Neutral palate, whites/creams/light woods/blacks/tan/blah blah.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

kayshack

yes you will spend a lot! lol. it will be worth it in the end.

love mcgees designs.

is this in SoCal? im near north OC.

here's your link

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6294054/wood-ceiling-what-floors

• kayschack
    last year

No this is in the central valley of California.

• kayschack
    last year

@Brittany Finkle what did you end up choosing for the floor in the bedroom?