Flooring and tile advice needed

JoLynn Sundstrom

We are doing a renovation of our 850 square foot cabin. We have essentially gutted it to reconfigure it. We want a very light and airy beachy feel. In the kitchen we are looking to have white shaker cabinets and white quartz on the cabinets. I am trying to decide between the mosaic tile (the one in the bottom of the picture) in the picture or the aqua subway tile (the top sample

) to go on the backsplash in our kitchen. We are going to use the aqua subway tile in the walk in shower in the bathroom. I am also undecided about flooring and if we which one of these floors to go with.

This is the sample on the right

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoLynn Sundstrom

Here is another picture of the floor samples

Save    
Sammie J

Something is off - the middle image you posted looks like grey flooring, and in the image with the white cabinet the flooring looks brownish...

Save     Thanked by JoLynn Sundstrom
PRO
Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.

Definitely not the linear multi colored glass mosaic. Really dated. We are already tearing those out and replacing for people who used them years ago. Stick with the subway or other format for the backsplash.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by JoLynn Sundstrom
JoLynn Sundstrom

Thanks for the help Dragonfly Tile. Sammie, that is the same sample it is just in different light in each picture.

Save    
Design Girl

Agree with Dragonfly - Glass tiles are already dated, and it looks like all your tiles are glass. I'd try to find something else you like in that color.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.

"Glass" isn't dated. Been used for centuries. It's the linear mosaics that scream 1995-2005.

3 Likes Save    
rachann61

I like the wider plank flooring. It seems to be a warmer sandy tone. I also like the larger glass tile in aqua. What size are they, 2 X 6? That would be a good size. If you want to keep the kitchen more neutral for ease of future design changes you could do a gray/ taupe glass tile and install it in a chevron or herringbone pattern. Or you could get 4X4 glass tiles and install them in a brick pattern. That can look nice and can be economical

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Gray tones are out. A plain wide plank pine look would work with white cabinets and then go white subway tile. Then use accessories for color such as aqua mixer and/or tea pot. Wood cutting boards, things like that. Luxury Vinyl Plank is worth looking at because it is very durable. Try moving in that direction.

Save    
JoLynn Sundstrom

These two samples are LVP-we have to have LVP as people go in and out of the cabin with wet swimsuits all summer long. I did look for a white oak LVP but didn't have any luck finding one thus far.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

I found this one at my tile/flooring store and thought it looked nice. it's LVP. maybe something like it?

or, what about a good tile?

Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

as for the beachy look bathroom, I'd look at diff options. you could do one wall w/an aqua or blue glass, and the others do a simple white tile. (cheaper too) lot's of optionsthe scallop or fish tail, can be done many ways.

get a ceramic and do it for the bathroom floor, wall, use the glass

or try the bubble mosaic

on the floor, the wall as an accent,,,

simple square glass mosaics can also look good if done like this

or just use the subway in a stacked pattern layout

use the glass balls as accent,,mix in w/sea shells. you could also do it on a piece of wood

check here for the bubble glass and other tiles

https://mosaictiledirect.net/bubble-mosaic.html

Save    
JoLynn Sundstrom

Do you know what brand that sandcastle oak and the one under the sandcastle oak? I really like both of them!

Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

the sandcastle is Mohawk laminate,,and the next one is Swiftlock. don't know the color tho

1 Like Save    
JoLynn Sundstrom

Thanks!

Save    
PRO
Debbi Washburn

Look into Coretec - they have a lot of nice oak look floors in lighter "beachy" feeling colors. As for the tile - I don't care for the linear tiles either. I like the 2 x 6 size - it's a little different. You have to love that aqua color. You could also look at the "clear or white" glass - it will often have that slight green undertone to it from the iron in the glass. It would be a subtle color, then maybe do a pretty grout color.

Good luck!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Tile Transition Time: How to Connect Tile and Hardwood Floors
By JW
Plan ahead to prevent unsightly or unsafe transitions between floor surfaces. Here's what you need to know
Full Story
Tile Your Floor: How to Shop for Tile
Here's how to read a ceramic tile box and get exactly what you need
Full Story
Bathroom Design Why Bathroom Floors Need to Move
By JW
Want to prevent popped-up tiles and unsightly cracks? Get a grip on the principles of expansion and contraction
Full Story